Di Canio – Sunderland Can Overtake Newcastle

The Newcastle and Sunderland derby has always reminded us a little of the Rangers-Celtic derby games – two massive clubs with some of the most passionate supporters in England, and the two sides will meet tomorrow afternoon at St. James’ Park.

paolo-di-canio-600x337

Paolo Di Canio – we can catch Newcastle

It was building up to be a relegation 6 pointer, but with Newcastle’s last minute win last Sunday against Fulham last Sunday, Newcastle are 5 points ahead of Sunderland, and a win will take us well clear of our local rivals.

Di Canio talked a lot about Newcastle in his press conference on Friday:

“We can you overtake Newcastle,’ `Not now, but in the future? Yes. Absolutely, yes.” ‘The plan is amazing. But first we have to make sure we stay up. If we do, it will not happen in a week or a month, it will be one or two seasons.”

“Newcastle is a massive club, we know that, but Sunderland is a massive club. The problem is that this massive club has not been used in the right way, with the same value. You know what I mean?”

‘There are 40-50,000 followers every game. The facilities are amazing. It is not just a big club, it is an amazing club and a big name that has only then spent £1million on players, no. This club has spent big money to build the team too and it is not acceptable for the club to have been where it is for the last two years.”

‘If we stay up this year, it will be close no matter what happens and that is not acceptable in my opinion. But with the right organisation and plan and policy in the future, if we stay up, these things will change to give us a chance. We want to fight for something other than just avoiding relegation.”

‘It is very famous the way people in this area follow their club. Sunderland fans are amazing and that has made me and my staff feel even more responsibility. The luck for this club is that this manager has inner motivation, not outward motivation.”

‘I feel that responsibility, but I don’t feel pressure. I work so hard, my character doesn’t let me feel pressure because I’m not worried.” ‘It’s not just about trying, or hoping in your life. It is about doing things. If it doesn’t work, people say ‘Di Canio is a donkey – bye-bye’. But I’m sure that Di Canio is a stallion. And I will deliver.”

A win would be a great result for Newcastle tomorrow, and a loss would be unbearable – that just about sums it up,

A defeat for Sunderland could plunge them further into relegation trouble – but we want them to stay in the Premier League – it’s great for the region to have two of the best supported clubs in England in the Premier League.

And it’s good to be able to beat Sunderland twice each season – very good. 😀

Alan Pardew says that Sunderland have to be the slight favorites after our lads played on Thursday night, but we do hope the game is played in a good spirit and both sets of fans behave themselves, in what will be a white-hot atmosphere at St, Jame’s Park on Sunday.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Graeme

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

He talks the talk, but can he “walk the walk”??

In my opinion, there will be only one winner on Sunday and it wont be the visitors. NUFC to win by 2 goals and a baptism of fire for PDC of the great unwashed!!

Mon the TOOOOOOOOON

• wreker16

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Di canio can’t half talk some cr@p

• toon_dog

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM

my team for scum-
    bare with me
    KRUL
    DEBU-TAYLS-YANGA-HADIRA
    SISOKO
    HBA-CABS-MARV
    CISSE-SHOLA
    a 4-1-3-2 formation,

• DeanToon88

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Who gives a **** what that fascist pig thinks? his team are going down and we are taking 3 points from them.

• AMEOBI

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Really enjoyed reading that, hope Pardew shows the boys this interview, mind you he’s spot on the support for both clubs are amazing but Newcastle isn’t Sunderland.. Paolo. Build up is getting better!

• LeToonARMY

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Nah forget Polar Ameobi !!! I would play…………
    Krul
    Debuchy Taylor Yanga Haidira
    Cabaye Tiote
    HBA SISSOKO GOUFAN
    CISSE
    Subs:
    Anita
    Guttirrez
    Marveux
    Perch
    Polor

• cookiemate

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Am i the only one who feels bad for Marv? he’s played amazingly well similar to HBA sometime but Arfa will still get all the Headlines. Not dissing Hatem of course though just feel bad for the lad

• jimmysmith

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Sunderland a “massive” club. Ed have you gone barking mad!

Sunderland FC is a footballers graveyard, plain and simple. I really do have to admonish you here. It simply won’t do.

• Rozzy

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Really ?

• shearermania

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Still cant get to terms with Willo playing so well the other night….he normally plays like a donkey but man he was a beast – won every header and positioning was amazing…he didnt even hoof it that much.
    The crowd was not on his side early on so im just so astonished by his performance…….
    dont know where to go from here..im not a willo fan and my heart normally stops every time i see him on the team sheet and i have given a lot of abuse towards him but credit where is due…
    WELL DONE big Mike…..(now sell him)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Mania…normally I would agree with you about Willo, but as you say we have to give credit where credit is do!

…I am not shy either for given Pardew stick when he messes up, but the way he change the game at halftime time and seeing him for once using subs proactive instead of his normal reactive approach really impressed me 😉

Made me believe in him once again!

• eaststandgeordie1982

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:08 AM

He clearly has not had a home game yet 40-50,000 hahahahahahaha hes thick as fcuk

• north_country_boy

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Think a win tomorrow and we’ll be safe – QPR and Reading won’t catch us and S’land won’t win 3 of their last 5 games so let’s push for as high as possible, if we keep everyone fit until the end and play like we did on Thursday we can win all of our games, team for tomorrow:
    KRUL
    DEBUCHY TAYLOR MBIWA HAIDARA
    TIOTE CABAYE
    HBA SISSOKO MARVEAUX
    CISSE
    but actually think Pardew will start Guti instead of HBA and change them around the hour mark
    HWTL – 3-0

• chris_g

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Wow, it makes a pleasant change to see one or two people having a few kind words to say about Willo. He isn’t my favourite player either, but it makes me cringe sometimes to read the abuse he normally gets from a lot of the so-called fans on here. I was also appalled by Pardew’s sheer bloody ignorance a few weeks ago when he made that dumb “other guy” comment.

I’d be more than happy if the lad stayed with us next season as our 4th choice CB, but I think he deserves better than that. I just hope he manages to find a club where the fans are capable of appreciating his good qualities, and where the manager treats him with a little more respect.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Has anyone seen this from the the away game this season
    If the Toon need anymore motivation to beat the Mackems then

Pardew should pin the article up on the changing room wall in English and French

Sunderland owner Short was heard launching an astonishing verbal tirade towards Pardew before the North-east derby at the Stadium of Light in October.

The Daily Express has been told that just before kick-off, Pardew spotted Short and offered a handshake, but the American tycoon said: “Why don’t you just f*** off?”

Short, who fired manager Martin O’Neill last week from his home 7,000 miles away in Hawaii, felt Pardew was at fault after both managers squared up pitch-side during last year’s clashat St James’ Park.

• WWYCD

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Ah well least he has his sense of humour to get him through the tough times to come. Those great Sunderland fans don’t want him though he may not notice judging by the number of fans at the fake stadium of light during games

We nearly packed out St James in the Championship they don’t even bother showing up in the Prem.

• JAMSHA

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM

“I have a really good relationship with
    them. I know they like me, and I like
    them.
    “There is something special between us
    and I am very happy to be here.
    “I feel a lot of energy when I am on the
    pitch and a lot of that comes from the
    supporters and the way they are with me.
    “I was very happy to be back playing
    again at St James’ Park.
    “It was a great atmosphere throughout
    the game and I was pleased to get on and
    play.
    “The crowd were cheering really loudly
    when I came on and my heart was
    beating very fast.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Hahahahahahahahahaha paulo you joker didn’t you did a stand up act!!

Chris G
    I said after the game Willo was fantastic Thursday night, the whole team was but Willo really impressed me solid display from him

• bringbackemre

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Does anyone think that gutierez would be worth trying up top . Obviously not as the main man expected to put them away just for when we cant get it to stick up there used the way ameobi is. Hes great with the ball in tight situation an holding off defenders .I dont think be able to keep up with the pace anymore in midfield as hes lost that yard and a bit of mobility ..

• ToonMauritius

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Hi Lads,
    I used to appreciate P.D.Canio as a player at Sheffield Wed.
    Believe me , tomorrow he will get the shock of his life.

• Owldman

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Di Caneo, s comments are typical of all coaches its their job, no way will you get them coming out & saying they have no chance, these derby cames are different to any other games in the season, local rivalry adds extra spice to the atmosphere but this time it is a bit more than that, Mackems desperate for points just as we are! No place for the faint hearted, SJP will be electric tomorrow, sure to be at least a couple of red cards.

• josh

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Maybe if both team buses are on the motorway at the same time and ours breaks down, then yes, they will overtake us.