The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mathieu Debuchy – Things Are Fantastic At Newcastle

9:27 am, Saturday, April 13th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Mathieu Debuchy has said he has settled ay Newcastle very quickly,  since joining Newcastle from Lille for around £5.5M in early January, and he has already shown he is a good acquisition for the club.

mathieu debuchy villa

Mathieu Debuchy – in action at Aston Villa

It’s well known that Mathieu is the best of friends with Yohan Cabaye,  and their wives are also best friends, and they were best man at each other’s wedding.

So it’s not surprising that Yohan talked to Mathieu about coming to Newcastle, once Yohan  arrived in the summer of 20111, and during the Euros last summer, Mathieu is on record of saying Yohan talked about nothing else but Newcastle United, and what a great club it was.

That probably also helped Moussa Sissoko join in January, and we may even have more arrivals soon from the French leagues.

Mathieu has given an interview in the Independent today – and this is what he said

““With all the French players arriving, settling in became much more of a simple task.” “I’ve been given a warm welcome here, whether that be from the club or the supporters.”

“I’ve settled.” “My family are now with me and everything is going all right.” “I’m with my wife and my kids and we have our own home now. Things are fantastic.”

“Yohan and I have known each other for a long time, so it was a great help. He is a really great friend.” “We spoke about it the move together. We spent a bit of time discussing Newcastle.”

“He told me it was a great city and that it was a good club.” “That was all we needed to talk about. I already knew the club before discussing it with Yohan.” “The Premier League is an appealing league in France.”

” It has the very best players and every match is massive.” “I was very, very happy when Newcastle came back for me. I was delighted they contacted me so soon after the initial interest.”

“Now I want to show what I can do. This is a big club.” “There is absolutely no problem between the French players and the English players or the other players”

“We all get on really well. That is important. The spirit is strong here.” “Yes, I spoke to Yohan about the derby. He has told me the atmosphere is even bigger and better than usual.”

“He also said for the fans this is the match of the season. The team is strong.” “We have what it takes to stay in the league and we hope we can confirm that on the pitch. We have shown good character.”

Ben Arfa has also come out and said he has no intention of leaving Newcastle, so the club are doing something right that a lot of our players just love it on Tyneside.

It’s a pity we’ll not be in Europe next season,  but with the squad we already have,  we’ll be challenging for a European spot next season, and when we do get back into Europe, we’ll have a much better and much bigger squad than we started with last August.

It;’s great to have Mathieu Debuchy at Newcastle.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Yohan Cabaye

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonMauritius // Apr 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Hi Lads,
    I used to appreciate P.D.Canio as a player at Sheffield Wed.
    Believe me , tomorrow he will get the shock of his life.

• 2 outsidethebox // Apr 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

love the line ups including marv and benny but think thats for next year …expect both gutti and goufran will play.
    debuchy saylor mbai hadeira
    marv sissoko cabaye gutti
    cisse goufran
    would be my bet..

• 3 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Anyone know what Ellis short had been caught saying about pardew??

• 4 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Pardew should pin the article up on the changing room wall in English and French

Sunderland owner Short was heard launching an astonishing verbal tirade towards Pardew before the North-east derby at the Stadium of Light in October.

The Daily Express has been told that just before kick-off, Pardew spotted Short and offered a handshake, but the American tycoon said: “Why don’t you just f*** off?”

Short, who fired manager Martin O’Neill last week from his home 7,000 miles away in Hawaii, felt Pardew was at fault after both managers squared up pitch-side during last year’s clashat St James’ Park.

• 5 WWYCD // Apr 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Basically told wor Pards to f off last time we met…not sure why its coming out now tbh

• 6 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Ah cheers lads
    Well hopefully we’ll send him packing Sunday with a huge fcuk off of our own!
    You’ve been stuffed 4-0 so fcuk off back that hole you crawled out of 😉

• 7 magpie6699 // Apr 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Pardew has already said that Benny will not start but probably get another cameo. I don’t get the people who are not putting Guti in their starting 11. He’s been close to the best, if not the best, player in both recent games. Defending or attacking he gives his all for the team. If he tires, then bring on Benny.Also very impressed with Haidara against Benfica.
    My team:
    (No Gosling – please!, No Bigi yet – and apologies to Willo who did a decent job the other night – we could have a worse 4th choice CB you know)

• 8 Black and White Blood // Apr 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

M6699 – Why have you inverted the wingers? Gutierrez needs more time to deliver these days and cutting in limits our options.

• 9 OhSholaAmeobi // Apr 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I’m struggling to comprehend how you missed out Sissoko!

• 10 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM

You need to speak to your mate Yohan Mathiew and get him to make a statement committing to the club like HBA has supposedly done !

All this Manure talk this morning is just down-right silly!

previous post: Di Canio – Sunderland Can Overtake Newcastle