This Is How Newcastle Can Win Something Next Season

Since the five Frenchmen arrived in January, Newcastle will have had five home league games,  including the one this afternoon, and we have won all the games against Chelsea, Southampton, Stoke and Fulham, and hopefully we can make that five wins in a row this afternoon against Sunderland.

moussa sissoko southampton

Moussa Sissoko – one of the five French players signed in January

And the average home gate in those five league games will be just under 52,000 fans (51,904).

That’s just phenomenal support for a team that has not been doing well in the league, and next season maybe we should play the first team in both the FA Cup and League Cup, currently called the Capital One Cup.

If Birmingham City can win the League Cup  in the season they were relegated, and of all teams – Wigan – can get to the final of the FA Cup, as they did yesterday when they best Milwall 2-0 at Wembley in the semi-finals – then Newcastle should be able to reach a Cup final next season.

But to do that we’ll have to start thinking like a small club,  and play our best side in the two local Cups next season.

Top sides usually play their second teams or  a weakened first team in the Cup competitions – at least in the earlier rounds – and that’s one reason why we’ve had teams like Birmingham City, Cardiff City and now Wigan Athletic reach the finals recently.

And then who knows?

We could even win something for the first time in 45 years.

No that would be something. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• kevymartins

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Repost
    My theory is that Ashley is trying to build something. Why on earth would we scout tiote and cabaye for what was it 5 years? before we signed them which probably cost alot of money also just to sell them on?

Tiote was the same after his amazing season .Didn’t we reject like a 20m bid from spurs for him?

• Transfer Sage

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Bills

I don’t care about him sitting with fans or his reason to sell. The fact he was willing to sell meant at that time he wasn’t ambitious as why would you spend on something you were trying to sell.

I have said for a while now I think he is a decent owner. The selling side of things he has gotten right in my eyes.

The buying he is. Still making mistakes but as long as he learns that’s all you can ask. I think he will strengthen in the summer, everything I hear from people I know suggests it will be similar to January in terms of numbers and quality.

I think I’m fair with Ashley. As log as he shows progress that’s fine with me. He needs to learn some things but he is showing he is glib forward. And if he speds this summer then credit where it’s due. I think every decision is taken on merit, good or bad.

That’s my reply to your comment you left me two back.

And yeh sorry, this phone feels the need to not just correct words but do so to change the whole context of my argument haha

• Transfer Sage

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Kevy

I don’t think we scouted just them. I think during scouting of the leagues they were in we built up a report over a few years on them, as we will on many players we haven’t bought.

But yeh it is costly but we have some great scouts and the club and Lambias said last year we were moving into South America too which can only be good.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I am going to hit the road running 5 milles with junior and then I am ready for the game 🙂

…see you at game time!

Jonas-Argentina
    Cisse-senegal
    Sissoko-France

jesus christ

• bills-son

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Transfer – wanting to sell didn’t show a lack of ambition, it showed that the abuse had made its mark.

I’m mighty glad he decided to stay and tough it out. Since then no other club owner has receivec so much critical analysis and so little credit for the positive things he has done.

• numba9

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

we should be building uor team around sissoko, benny, and cabs. 3 players of world class ability i think benny has shown in glimpses what a stunning array of skills he has and moussa looks a engine of a midfielder, cabs well he is slik and ouzes class and has shown it. to let any of the 3 cogs go would be a crime. get them fit and we will defo be going places and i mean milan madrid etc

• Transfer Sage

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Bills

I know what you mean, he didn’t sell because he lacked ambition, he wanted to sell due to the abuse…I agree there.

But I think during the time he wanted to sell he didn’t do as much as he is doing now. Like you wouldn’t fit a new kitchen if your house is up for sale. The spell where he wanted to sell cut back his ambition during that time, if that makes more sense?

• karasu

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I sincerely hope Sunderland stays up. Can’t do without my seasonly doses of Tyne-Wear derby.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Number9

For me there are currently 5 teams who go for the top 4. Manchester sides, spurs, arsenal and Chelsea. Then add liverpool too, keep improving and if they keep Suarez next year and add a couple could challenge.

Which means to me, even if we invest well in players it will still be difficult for top 4, even top 6 would be a huge challenge as those sides are either better or at lest out equals.

So I won’t be angry if we don’t make the top 4 as they are all good competition for us, as long as we are challenging them and not just coming up behind them then it’s a success for me.

So your dream of Milan and Madrid could be set back I’m afraid.

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Debuchy, Tiote, Taylor and HBA all involved today

• bills-son

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Transfer – I agree with your kitchen analogy but as you say nobody would spend big money on a house they wanted shot of. That was the reason behind appointing Kinnear, he didn’t want any new owner being saddled with a manager on a big money long term contract – like Ashley was with Allardyce.

Back to today, I really think we could win big especially if we score early. Di Canio isn’t a magician and Sunderland don’t have a player who can pull a rabbit out of a hat. There could be a great day ahead.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

FFS sky have fecking niall Quinn as a commentator again!

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

just a note, if our away form mirrored our home form we would be in 6th right now, two points away from spurs

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Ffs Niall Quinn as a bloody commentator today

• geordie157

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sage, have to agree with that, with the right additions and numbers coming in in the summer we can at least be up there challenging for a European spot, champs league I think would be a few seasons away given that I think Chelsea and City will bring in a couple of massive signings in the summer.

Can never rule out Everton, so effectively I see it being 8 sides with a gap to the rest of the league. Although there is always one surprise team up there.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

CBT
    Where did you hear that? Sky saying tiote is still out?

• Transfer Sage

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Bills

Yeh I think all that was justified when the club was for sale, not faulting it, just think it held us back at the time, but I do understand why.

And yeh on today I think we will win. I don’t see them havin lg a goal threat with no gardener or fletcher. Can see us really turning them over.

• geordie157

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Sessegnon and a possible revitalised Adam Johnson are the only threats Sunderland have. 2-0 to the Toon today!

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

9/10thth is a realistic aim for this season, could possibly still snatch 8th if we went almost flawless

a top half finish for a squad new to europe in a season riddled by injury would actually be a very good outcome.

cant say past a win today for us but then again its always dangerous to expect, hope pards has the lads geared up

HWTL

• beefman13

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Krul
    Simpson
    Santon
    Mbiwa
    Saylor
    Tiote
    Cabaye
    Sissoko
    Jonas
    Gouffran
    Cisse

That will be close to “Pardews” team today, Marv n bennys ice cream kept for second half, THATS IF ALL FIT OF COURSE BUT HE SAID SANTON, SAYLOR, N TIOTE, WOULD BE OK FOR THE DERBY!

I WOULD STILL PLAY MARV FROM THE START WITHOUT DOUBT, I CANT SEE PARDEW DOING THAT WITH HIS MINDSET , UNLESS THEY ARE NOT FIT.

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

tads, they all got off team bus in their tracksuits so…

• Transfer Sage

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Geordie157

Yeh. Swansea are building and have a good manager so Be interesting to see if they improve again next year.

I expect us but year to be pushing for the top 6, we have 5 wins from our last 9 league games with 4 defeats which is a good points return so hopefully we continue that next year.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Laughed about the Police going to use CCTV’s to prosecute anyone doing a fascist salute.

Surely they can’t prosecute people who aren’t fascists taking the pi$$ out of a real fascist? Like John Cleese goose-stepping around Faulty Towers?

Should be a good game. On paper we are so much better.
    Could be a real rout but I’ll settle for a nervous 1-0.

HWTL

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

tads

Is Quinn really the commentator? That’s absolute disgraceful if so..

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

CBT
    Fair enough just hasn’t heard tiote mentioned in any injury updates, not sure if having him fit on derby day is a bonus to be honest, he’s always overly motivated coming back from injuries, reckon if he started PDC would soon have the scum trying to wind him up

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

TDS
    Yup they were interviewing him pitch side at SJP, he’s always the bloody commentator when the derby is on sky, p1sses me right off!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Tads

For a Mackem Quinn is quite fair. And it will be also good to hear him when we start banging the goals in haha

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

tads, all news sources saying he and debuchy are still out but i wouldnt put it past pardew if they were involved, shall see soon

is it wrong to bed against us on derby day? if we win im happy and dont care about the money, if we dont i have extra money…

• Markaccus

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Morning all. Just seen ed displayed my pic. Credit goes to some freinds of a work mate who persuaded those very sporting benfica fans to pose for that photo. Cracking stuff.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Sage
    Not sure about that mate he’s already writing us off!

• WWYCD

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM

toonarmydownsotuh
    U have a right downer on Tiote playing today dont u haha personally I think we need a enforcer on the pitch in games like this they come to kick us and that cant be allowed to let stand. Its like having a nuclear deterrent

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

sunderland running 15 mins late. tactical by di canio?

• Markaccus

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Nah big toe. They just cant afford a faster bus

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM

WWYCD
    Yup! Just think with his form this season he’s got red card written all over him! Would love to be wrong but he’s been more like clatter mile than tiote this season so would rather see socks sitting deep with cabs n Marv today!

• Cisse's Big Toe

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

if all that were tracksuited up are fit

krul
    debuchy taylor mbiwa haidara
    tiote cabaye
    marv sissoko jonas
    cisse

gouffran hba and ameobi to come on

howay lets not be too optimistic but 7-0 should do it 😉

• WWYCD

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

toonarmydownsouth
    His form has been related to Cabayes absence imo when Cabs is there he is the Tiote we bought but when he isnt he tries to turn himself into Cabaye and hes not that player

Id still start Tiote over Marv, u kick Tiote he gets mad u kick Marv he disappears imo

• Jam only For H.ben Arfa

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM

News yesterday for Kevin Gameiro @ Paris Saint Germain, he insult the trainer Carlos ancelotti, “you broking my dick” and shoot with his foot in the water bottle…
    he will leave PSG as soon as possible

• NewcastleMole

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM

How much of the 30 minute build up coverage will sky dedicate to Man utd – Stoke Match at 4? 🙂