The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Harper Could See Some Action – Elliot Also Injured

11:25 am, Monday, April 15th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

It could be that Newcastle have a goalkeeping problem through the end of the season, with Tim Krul definitely out with a dislocated shoulder, and Rob Elliot picked up an ankle injury and was seen to be limping in yesterday’s disastrous 3-0 defeat against Sunderland.

tim krul dislocated shoulder

Tim Krul – dislocated shoulder

We suppose Rob’s ankle injury will be assessed today, and our next game is on Saturday at West Brom, and we have only one game a week for the final five weeks of the season, so hopefully Rob  can recover to play some games.

We do have experience in reserve in 38 year-old Steve Harper, who will leave Newcastle after 20 years at the club ,when his contract runs out in June.

And Alan Pardew is saying that losing Tim could have been a factor in yesterday’s defeat (well it’s a good try):

“We could have brought on an extra offensive or defensive player, or whatever we needed.” “That got taken away. It was a game that really didn’t work out for us.”

Maybe if we had scored three goals and Adam Johnson had hit the post with that shot that went in, we could have won 3-2. :(

But at least Pardew knows he has a lot of work to do on the team, if we are to survive in the Premier League this season:

“We have to do some work on our team.” “We need to get our shape right and discipline back, and try to win some games.”

“This won’t leave me. It is our home and we don’t want to get beat here.” “It has hurt me and it has hurt my players.”

There will be more apologies from the manager and many of our players today and this week – but that’s what we got from players when we were relegated – and words are cheap.

They need to turn those words into action in the next five games.

We cannot take a second relegation in four years.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Steve Harper · Tim Krul

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 RonVanDam // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

As a lucky twist of fate Harper might play the last game of the season to see his contract out

• 2 lucasnufc // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Sheesh, just come out and say we were awful, we’re doing everything to put it right.

• 3 Rotonda heights // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Lucas.

Pardew tell the truth!!!!

Ibiza

No not all the blame but Pardew sets the tone of who we are, how we play and how we want to be seen.

We need a Virgin (not literally) standard manager but have got a Wonga one. No more mixed metaphors, but there is no point just buying in more and more good players who look great at first and then are ” Pardewed ” out of all their early promise.

• 4 Markaccus // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Ibiza. Thats what gets me about this blog. If people dont like pardew fine. But people who think he should be kept on dont deserve to be called butt buddies of pardew (catchy phrased it something like that). The only time i react badly to the pardew out brigade is when they wsnt him sacked now which would almost garuntee relegation.

• 5 Beattie25 // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Ibiza

I stopped short of saying I don’t manipulate things all I said is I don’t manipulate the things others day that don’t have a dog in the fight so to speak.

I’d try if it were you or ruddy or catchy or torq or anyone if I was chatting to them but I wouldn’t go back to Geordie German and take his point and manipulate it to make my point if he wasn’t in the discussion.

I know you say things to the person and you are IMO the most positive blogger on this site and I love how you fight all negativity but i felt that criticism was out of character and coming so shortly after the comment about heart I felt you were trying to get it off your chest.

Maybe I interpreted your post wrong as you had done mine.

Apologies and back to Pardew bashing.

I hate Alan!!!

• 6 Beattie25 // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Markaccus

You get called butt buddies were as I in the past was called ‘not a real fan’ or a ‘Pardew hater’.

I’m afraid it comes with the territory of your beliefs and well never be able to shake of such stigmas whilst there are small minded individuals who think its funny to mock your beliefs.

You Pardew loving stain on Newcastke United.

• 7 Carryingcoals // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Just a quick question for season ticket holders

Can anyone tell me how much a ticket is for West Brom away next weekend please? Any help would be appreciated

• 8 RonVanDam // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Complacent should be Pardews middle name. Hes been inept all season and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Hes clearly just been ‘winging’ it and now hes been found out. Ive supported Pardew in the past but hes awful. This team has lacked tactical nous, intelligence, aggression, passion for pretty much most of the season. Now it has set in with our January signings. Pardews rotten negative tactics are to blame, constantly handing the initiative to opposing teams with line ups, tactics and some of the worst substitutions I have seen from a Newcastle United manager. This squad is talented and should be performing way better. The buck stops with the manager and his coaching staff for letting this set in. We think we are a big club but we have a small club mentality and until we have the coaches and manager to change that we will continue that way. Look no further than Swansea, Southampton or Wigan for managers who can actually manage and bring the best out in players deemed average. Pardews idea is to chuck a team sheet out of what he deems reliable names and hope for the best when they trod off the pitch after 90 mins. No changing my mind I have had 2.5 years of watching him and he rode the crest of a wave last year but the real managers are able to do it consistently with a team. Pardew far too after has all the answers after a game but never during or before. He has become Mr. Excuse perhaps he should start looking in the mirror as he is the one who tells the players what to do and picks the team. If the service has been so poor why have you constantly accommodated when you had other options players like Jonas who cant cross a ball for a ticket back to Argentina with a free taxi ride. It couldnt have been Jonas who wanted to go back to Argentina could it? Pardew is just a manager who throws variables around, tall, small, pace, leadership, age, experience, lump it, short pass and hope for the best. He has no direction and we have seen that as our team lacks an identity and style with absolutely no vision. I laughed at the Anzi result at home papering over the cracks because we didnt even make the extra man count. We didnt start widening the pitch, keeping the ball making them chase for a team that had barely played a game in months. We got lucky and Pardew has rode that way too much to cover for his gaping deficiencies. Its about time we scouted a new manager to hopefully take over next season when we are still in the Championship but it might be too late then because make no mistake about it we are in trouble in the EPL as I expect Di Canios Sunderland to fight and scrap. Wigan are used to this and hardened to the relegation battle and Villa have had an upturn in their form now as their youth begin to click. We just continue to get as poor as we were before an short term uplift from January signings.

• 9 Markaccus // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Beattie……. yes i suppose that is true of any section of society. Football fans or otherwise.

You Anti-toon pardew hating filth :D

• 10 chris_g // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Repost

JackButler // Apr 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Can anyone name a player that has improved under Pardew????????????????????????????????????

Because I can’t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ————————————-

Ed can :)

“Moussa Sissoko seems to have been born to play for Newcastle, and the 23 year-old French International is already a good player, but he will get a lot better in the next couple of seasons under the excellent coaching of Alan Pardew and his team.

That’s what’s happened to a number of Newcastle’s players who have arrived at the club, including Yohan Cabaye, Davide Santon, Papiss Cisse and Ben Arfa – and they’ve all become better players since they arrived on Tyneside.”
    Ed Harrison Tuesday, April 9th, 2013

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Beattie…I think we’ve cleared that up, despite our differences there is a lot of love ;)

I neither hate nor love Alan, we need change, but we need to decide what change that is once this season is over and we have secured our survival.

Rotonda…I though, actually no, I assumed that our displays at the latter stages of last season were a sign of things to come, let’s be honest, I don’t think the players just started doing it by themselves that well, it was clearly a team thing, which includes Pardew. I do feel that his default mode isn’t the best and maybe he can’t handle the job as there are too many times when default mode comes in to play. I just feel for a manager, who doesn’t have that much experience at this level, that is no secret, has been dealt a bloody awful hand this year. But life isn’t fair and sometimes people have to just accept that and he may well be the man to face the consequences for it.

Mark…To be fair, I have ridiculed posters in the past for being too negative, so it can be expected back. I have tried for a good while now to be a little more conservative with my approach and would just like other people to do the same. I have nothing to prove on the blog and it wont effect me when i log off, but constant petty bickering will get no one anywhere.

I note Catchy called us losers yesterday, nice touch I though.

Catchy..All I will say is, our opinions may be wrong and I may not agree with people like Rotonda and Beattie a lot of the time, but they have both at times said they would love to be proved wrong, you on the other hand would rather we do badly to prove you are right and that is just plain sad imo.

• 12 Pardew's Pointless Beard // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Why’s everyone so down? It’s not like we lost the Serb…….oh……PARDEW OUT!

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

chris_g…This really isn’t meant as an attack, but you only seem to comment when picking Ed up on something? What has he done to you?

• 14 RonVanDam // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

What we needed yesterday was Leadership on the field. Player(s) who could steer the team. Two players that come to mind: Barton and Nolan. This two could get the team ready for battle, if you look at the current crop of players, can you pick one player with fire in their belly? Cabaye? As charismatic as he is, the doesn’t possess that Grit. Dont even think about Saylor.
    When Sissoko, Guof and company came in, they were good because they played like the way with at their old club, under pardew they seem to have toned down their style and seem a watered down version of their old selves.
    Bottom line is, club needs to progress, Alan Pardew has taken us as far as he can take us – we now need a new manager who can describe each player their roles are and develop them into better players and uses the correct tactics to move forward.
    I have a strange feeling if we do survive, Pardew will still be our manager next year, if we are still lingering in the bottom 10 then MA should cut him lose.
    Rant over, im off guys

• 15 JDdubai // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Issue with pardew is picking players regardless of form ie tiote, jonas etc

Bigger issue for me, we have all these foreign players who have been trained to play the “continental passing” way since they were kids, many through clairfontaine academy in France. Are Pardew, Carver and Stone able to teach them this way? As far as i know none have ever proven this or have a history of this. To me the players are better than the coaching team in this kind of football so what will they learn??

I love John Carver by the way, Newcastle through and through but when he was with Bobby we played 442 with 2 wingers and shearer/bellamy up front so there wasnt any real technique needed to our play…either give it to Robert or whoever, hit it long to Shearer or in behind for Bellamy.

But now, i just donta see anyone who can improve the players we have, to develop them. Only way is with HBA, teaching skillful players how to be more British and track back, this seems the limit.

I like Pardew’s passion, he does seem to really care Bout the club, maybe introducing 1 or 2 coaches with continental experience will enable them to move the team on?

• 16 Markaccus // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Ibiza…. yes i have come to accept that there will always be difference of opinion on pardew no matter what. Its the catchys of this world that really cause trouble and your right…. i believe he wants us to be awful just to be right. I have no time for that festering spiteful little worm.

• 17 Pushy Pardew // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Carrying @ 7
    £ 39 mate.

• 18 RonVanDam // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Before i go, those sticking up for John Caver, his managerial stats are also shocking
    G 49
    W 15
    D 12
    L 22
    Winning %: 30.61

No wonder we are in crap. Add him and Pards together you have a recipe for disaster

• 19 Rainrix // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM

So pardew taking the majority of the flak then? I havent really looked back but thats the way i imagined it would go. I’d have a hard time disagreeing for once but our players need to take an equal amount of flack imo. Krul seemed to be the only person on the pitch up for it. You can say all you want about pardew motivating players but this is the one occasion when i imagine they’d need no motivation and would realise this is probably the most important game of the season on the back of going out of europa.

This season needs writing off. I dont think we’ll go down as reading and qpr are all but gone and wigan have an absolutely horrific set of fixtures to come plus a FA cup final, shades of birmingham a few years back. Some major assessment has to happen over the summer

• 20 Markaccus // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Jddubai…. to be fair jonas had been one of our best players against fulham and benfica before he turned in a bad display yesterday. I agree tiote should not have been first choice.

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I have taken a little look at our recent games and I am sorry to do this, but we have played 5 games in 15 days, that works out as one every 3 days. It may not be the biggest issue, but if anyone really thinks we can sustain attacking football over that period really has some high expectations.

Seeing how this season turned out, which to be honest I think arrogance was the start of our problems, I think the mind set of saving something became the priority – that hasn’t worked out to well either really.

I imagine there are plans already set to look at the whole situation come summer.

• 22 Beattie25 // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Ibiza

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t look at someone’s CV if you’re questioning their future at the club.

I think it boils down to the opinion do you think we’d be better off without Pardew if he leaves or is the risk too great to sack him and end up with a poorer manager who destroys the team even more.

I’m of the opinion that we have a better chance of finding someone on another level to Pardew than finding a dud. I think we as a fan base give ourselves to much credit when things are going well and not enough when they aren’t.

We could easily attract a better manager than him and I think despite all Ashley’s mistakes even he would make a better choice next time.

Pardew was contingency to keep us up, we had one great results driven season and Ashley showed his lack of footballing knowledge by rewarding the manager after he took credit for one good season. Some of the weight behind the contract was to tie Pards down to deal to stop him being poached so easily by a bigger club.

Somehow I don’t think that’s going to happen soon.

No matter what you say about football I know none of us want to see results like yesterday but they have happened too much for my liking under Pardew and that lack of desire has happened at every team he’s been too.

He may have lost some players yesterday,, he may have lost some more fans but has he lost some of the boardroom? We’ll wait and see.

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Beattie…I wasn’t saying we shouldn’t look at his CV, just that I didn’t have the time to do so again today :)

You are right though, cut the BS and get to the point. Is any change, better or worse, preferable to sticking with Pardew for now?

my opinion is no, but you also end with the most valid point, how about the man upstairs as he will be the one to make the call. We will have to wait and see indeed.

• 24 BandB // Apr 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Beattie,

I’m interested in your point on blog etiquette.
    Is it generally considered bad form to leave posts for people who aren’t actively posting? I do this sometimes. My reasoning is they will get to read it and respond if they wish, so I don’t feel as if I’m talking behind their backs. I like talking to Ibiza, but he’s not very often around at the same time as me. If it is a no-no, I won’t do it.
    I think it’s okay to satirize someone else’s position, IF they have to wherewithal to hit me back. People get hacked off, rightly, if they are being patronized. I don’t get grumpy or abusive just because someone disagrees with me. By disagreeing with some people, I’ve also found common ground with them and come to respect them in spite of our differing ways of supporting the club.

• 25 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

BandB…You can always leave me a post to catch up on later. We got of to a testing start some time ago, but as I remember it was more our stylings that we butted heads on, debate and discussion has generally been healthy enough.

• 26 BandB // Apr 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM

You’ve become a reliable touchstone for me Ibiza.

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM

BandB…It’s funny, but the blog is like one big dysfunctional family. Whilst we fight, I wouldn’t wish anything bad on anyone on here and don’t hold grudges.

Glad to see you frequenting the blog regularly these days.

• 28 numba9 // Apr 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Elliot isn’t as good as Harper any way not worried about that too much

• 29 Greebol1892 // Apr 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Amazing how many of those type of goals Adam Johnson scores against us (out wide then cutting inside and shooting). He did it to us at least once before in Man C colours and I seem to remember also in Boro colours. Exactly the same player scoring exactly the same goal against us for 3 different clubs. Utterly amazing if true.
    I actually applauded when Space-Raider Heed scored their third :-D
    All 3 were well-taken goals.
    Nuff said about yesterday for me. FIN.

• 30 G // Apr 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I’m glad I will see SH in the nets again, as I’ve always rated him is a keeper. It’s unfortunate, if not expected that he is being released at the end of the season. He’s never let us down when he has been called upon, and he’s always maintained a quiet professinal stance when he’s been back up to Given / Krul etc. I would rather see him in the nets than Elliot anyway, who wilst a good shot stopper, appears to be big fan of punching the ball out, rather than tipping it over, something which always makes me more than a little nervous.

• 31 wattos // Apr 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Just re-posting my thoughts in this thread as previous one seems to have died a death…would be interested in folks opinions!

Trying to look objectively(!) at yesterday’s performance, the one thing that stands out for me which has been a recurring theme with the team over the last 2-3 years (even last year when we were getting much better results) is the lack of movement off the ball. When we have possession we don’t have enough players making runs and trying to find space and when the opposition have the ball we don’t close down space quickly enough. The very best example of this was actually last year when we went to Arsenal and lost 2-1 after Ben Arfa had scored, if you watched that game the difference between the sides was that Arsenal always had 3 or 4 players running in space when they had possesion and when they lost posession they had players quickly closing down the space and challenging the player on the ball.

Its a really worrying trend, because it doesn’t matter how good your players are, if tactically they are not being coached about the importance of finding space, making runs off the ball and closing down the opposition we will always struggle….

Thoughts?

• 32 toonluvva // Apr 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

“Maybe if Tim hadn’t got injured at that crucial point, it could have been 1-1, and we could have had an extra sub with extra energy.” Pardew
    IF some of the Newcastle players had played with the desire and intensity of the opposition.
    IF our players had passed and moved more.
    IF Campbell had come on at halftime instead of Stroller.
    IF Cisse had the slightest idea about the off-side rule.
    IF Jonas hadn’t given the ball away that led to the first goal.
    IF Tiote had got more involved.
    IF the Sunderland team coach had got lost on the way to the match.
    I suppose “If” makes a change for his usual “Sorry”.
    IF we get beat on Saturday without putting any semblence of a performance, then I think Ashley should be saying to Pardew “IF the team do not improve, I’m SORRY but you’ll be out of a job”

• 33 S-G // Apr 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Personaly im not a “pardew out” guy despite being sick of the same old excuses. I think he deserves next season to put things right. The only reason i would be tempted to change is the fact someone who i have long admired may be availble in the summer. Mr David Moyes who i would be willing to give a 10 yr contract to.

• 34 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I’d play Alnwick above Harper. You can guarentee a below average steadyish performance from Harper with one mistake every other game. Alnwick might be good. But ability is nowhere near as important as experience for Pards as we seen with Jonas getting the nod above Haidara.

• 35 S-G // Apr 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I wud def play harper in the last home game providing we are safe. Saying that i bet a pound to a penny he would be world class that one last time. The guy is a legend and always will be imo.

alnwick needs to be given games in pre season and maybe odd cup games next year if he is ready just like tim did over his first few years. Canlt rush young keepers as its probably the position with the most pressure (especially with our defence)

previous post: Andy Carroll Uncertain About His Future