Pardew And Players Will Take Some Heat For Disaster

We’re sure there’s going to be some soul-searching going on at Newcastle this week, following our horrendous 3-0 defeat at home by Sunderland – which came completely out of the blue, and for the third time this year we were beaten by a team below us in the league table..

pardew great shot

Alan Pardew – will take some heat this week

And Alan Pardew had said before the game that he didn’t need to inspire his players for this game because it was so huge – but it seems like he needed to after all – with the Sunderland players and manager showing all the passion yesterday.

If our new players didn’t know how big the Sunderland game is – they know now – and it they didn’t know that it’s unacceptable not to put 100^% effort in every time you wear the famous back and white stripes of Newcastle – they will know now.

Alan Pardew has his critics at Newcastle, and you just have to look at the comments and there’s a group of fans who don’t think he’s fitted to be the long-term Newcastle manager.

We don’t agree with that – but that didn’t stop us from being so shocked and dismayed at the result yesterday and annoyed about Alan talking about his tired players – give me a break.

And we know for a fact that Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias take the Sunderland rivalry very seriously – and both of them will have been less than happy yesterday – in fact they were probably furious.

So Alan and the players will feel some heat this week, and rightly so.

But trying to be positive for a moment – we hope that in our last five games of the season Newcastle will go all out and give 100% in every game and try to get the 6 points or so it will take to stay in the Premier League – and we’re still not safe – and heaven forbid if Wigan start winning their games in hand.

If the players can do that – at least something positive will have come our of yesterday’s disaster – and hopefully it will be a long time before Newcastle are beaten 3-0 again.

And that will be the last 3-0 defeat I will see from Sunderland in my lifetime.

It was just so hard to take yesterday.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• BandB

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Ed Man !

Ibiza,

Sorry I missed your reply yesterday. I was only half-way home when I posted my question to you, and when I got home, I didn’t spot it. Sorry if I appeared rude.
    To answer your question. I agree with you that Pardew was let down last summer (though I can’t remember that being your argument at the time.) But since then he has been reinforced. I never thought we’d fly up the table though, because we had, after all, lost Ba and, effectively, Coloccini. So it was still a mixed window. But Ashley acknowledged his earlier mistakes, and I was waiting to see what happened this summer to plug the holes that remain. Yes there’s a wage structure and a buying policy that would apply to any manager. But the truth is that some very good players have already come in over several years. The timing might have been questionable at times, but the squad has improved and Pardew’s dissatisfaction with the “youngsters” policy (a policy which was also hailed as a wizard wheeze I recall) was taken on board. So I don’t think any manager would necessarily have to work within parameters that made it impossible to “build”. What has happened is that I’ve become increasingly disenchanted with Pardew. I’m not saying you don’t bleed black and white, but you have a capacity to stay seemingly dispassionate and surgical, that I lack.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Cheik saying derby defeat worst day of his life …. hadn’t realised he was on the pitch!

Perchy would have done a better job.
    Anita would have been better than tired depressed Cabaye.
    Anyone would have been better than Jonas.

Gouffran is our very own Callum McManaman.

Pardew got the team so wrong.
    Pardew got the tactics wrong.
    Pardew got the motivation wrong.

Pardew gets it wrong quite a lot.

I’ve watched some dire crap this year .. it started with preseason.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Our team resembles the French team that went to the world cup in South Africa
    and this winters French rugby union squad

Full of potential world class players big things expected

AND won NOWT

Didn’t win a game in South Africa
    Won one game in the six nations finishing with the wooden spoon

• Transfer Sage

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Gouffran should be very embarrassed and ashamed of himself for that tackle. Looked intentional.

He wasn’t himself at all, very wound up and the amount he shouted and the way he threw the ball at a Sunderland player to take the throw in he was lucky not to be booked again, some refs would have.

Tads – from previous post

Yeh the lads should be embarrassed. Not matter what position you play or how you are set up you should put in a shift and yesterday too many of our boys didn’t. They need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Charlie

In fairness the the French boys, none of the others were good either yesterday.

• BigKirky

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I sit in the front corner of the Gallowgate, the “Strawberry” corner and have done for almost 20 years and the amount of people who got up and left after the third goal was ridiculous. No matter what the score is I TRY and be positive to boost the atmosphere, singing clapping from before the first whistle ’til after the last regardless of the scoreline.

Obviously people have the right to get up and leave when they want and voice their own opinion, but are these the same folk who cascade down negatives throughout the game as well, whether we’re doing well, badly, or indifferently?

To say St. James’ is supposed to (and certainly can be) loud, there are a few around me who regularly try to contribute to the noise, but there are thousands (look around) who don’t, which is a shame, as even clapping is contributing.

• TorqToon

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Just want to move on from this now. I’m don. Reflecting

• TorqToon

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Oops!!! Sent that too soon.

I’m done reflecting on yesterday’s game and just want to look to our remaining games and maintaining our league status.

Pardew isn’t going to get the boot anytime soon (earliest summer) so we need to think of ways to get points and put this season to bed.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

sage
    True bloody true
    I didn’t even vote on eds man of the match
    should have a ‘no one’ button sure would of pressed that yesterday

God knows what team I would pick for Saturday
    A few heads need banging before that.
    If fit bring in Ryan Taylor if nothing else shows the fighting spirit we need

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

BandB…Given the hysteria of yesterday I didn’t think you were being rude, but thanks for the belated response.

I have been accused in the real world of not wearing my heart on my sleeve, so your analysis there was probably spot on. I tend to remain calm and keep trucking on, but that does not mean I don’t evaluate, form opinions or change them as I go (not saying that’s what you have said, just expanding).

I did indeed say that we would be okay after the summer window and I have since said that I was wrong, happy may not be the right word, so feel free to edit this slightly, but I am always happy to admit when I am wrong.

I suppose a fair argument would be that I have lowered my expectations of where the toon are and what it will take to get back to where we could be. I have always said it needs to be done in stages, unless of course serious money were to be thrown at it (much like Man City), but this is not an option that fills me with any pride whatsoever. Not sure pride is a word I should be using today thinking about it.

I have seen before what happens when fans lean more towards their emotions, calls for Sir Bobby to be replaced are still fresh in my mind (not to say Pardew is anywhere near to his level – he is not), that I am happy enough to see Pardew for what he is and what he is capable of until we do upgrade to a proven better manager.

People are really quick to point to Pardews CV as a reason to say he isn’t good enough, then in the same post list managers with little to no actual management experience. I do wonder how that can be perceived as anything other than panic / frustration…which I get, but don’t agree with.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Beattie…Yesterday you asked for Ed’s thoughts and then with some helped jumped to the conclusion that Ed was in the Pardew out group.

Stop trying to make it that simple, that you’re either in or out on Pardew. It isn’t that simple.

We’re all passionate about this club in our own way.

• ash1001

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Pardew and his merry mob are so far behind the times they have trained the football skills out of them.
    Times have moved on ‘Windows used to be on 3 floppy discs, now its a DVD.
    Footballers are fitter, possibly more skilled, oh and they wear fancy boots. BUT some managers are still at the ‘Windows on 3 floppy discs stage’ including our own, you only have to look at Southampton to see the difference a modern manager can make, (and he does not even speak English) add to that the desire and motivation to win and you are well on the way. Sorry but PARDEW is not in that mould hes in the Curbishley, McCarthy, Brown, Davies, mould, past it time to move on to the next era, sooner the better.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

with some help* Oh dear 🙂

• Scottyboy

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I am neither a Pardew lover or hater. I watched the disasterous summer transfer window with everyone else. I accepted the excuses of the poor performance due to the lack of signings and the additional games in Europe.

I was convinced that the new signings in January would help to move us up the table. I understand that they need time to gel in etc. However I’m not sure how many more excuses that I can take from A.P.

I think he should be given one more crack at the whip , a couple of new signeing and a pre-season and if there is a poor start to the next season he should get the preverbial golden boot up his arsenal

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

BandB…Sorry, not all of that makes sense, I hope you can take something from my ramblings…running like a bit of a lunatic today.

• TorqToon

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Right lads, off to the club for work.

Can’t promise my ‘tapping up’ of certain players will be very successful today.

Not full of Good things regarding my beloved Newcastle United just now. :-/

• G

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I really hope that rumour about Pardew taking a side-step next year, and a new bloke running the playing side is true. I just worry about who that new bloke might be.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

ash101
    tend to agree backed Pardew all along but it’s getting a bit tedious.
    Maybe we need a young manager with young ideas.

In my seat early yesterday and watched The Mackems and The Toons pre match training

We farted about one lot in a little circle playing piggy in the middle
    another lot having shuttle runs and the rest generally passing to each other and having shots at the keepers generally chatting having a laugh.

As for Sunderland they had a full bloodied 8 A side game where tackles were going in passing quickly which in my eyes made them up to speed for the kick off

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Torq…Good luck.

Charlie…I think the whole approach yesterday was far too relaxed. Being defensive is one thing, but it was just sloppy and that is what I am angry about.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

He’ll probably pick a similar team v WBA.

Let them put in a performance .. they probably won’t need motivating Alan. That’ll make your job easier.

Ashley has to go for a change in the summer.
    We’re not going to finish top ten.
    That is Pardew’s target …

In any industry a manager who fails to acheive his/her target is replaced. Simple.

Hopefully someone with a reputation for passionate attacking football.
    You don’t appoint someone because he’s going to be a “Yes” man.

• BandB

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Ibiza,

The inquests will continue, but I hope the team is thinking about nothing but beating West Brom. We can’t change anything.
    My abiding memory of yesterday was us chasing two goals and counter-attacking, passing to a surrounded Cisse on the edge of the box, and having to physical turn my head to see another of our players. Keep the faith. I calm head wouldn’t go amiss right now.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM

After every defeat, the Pardew apologists keep saying move on.

Well I think we’re all done moving on. A blind man can see we’re on the wrong path with Pardew.

We need a dramatic change of direction. or there’s no way I’m signing up again next season. 2.5 years of dross interspersed with some moments of individual brilliance and magic from Benny, Ba and Cisse.

The players body language is shocking. There’s just so much needs addressing from top to bottom unless we want to become the Stoke of the North! We are unfit, we don’t pass and move and most damningly we lack passion.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

BandB…They certainly will. I agree that right now, all we can do is battle on, hopefully with some reflection on what we have done wrong in the past. There is a saying that everyone makes mistakes, only an idiot makes them twice…not sure that helps my cause today though 🙂

Hope you have a good day.

• Oleg G

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

“The are not real fans” that’s what a lot of people say here.

It is exactly what religious people say about other religious people who behave badly.

Muslim about Muslim terrorists – They are not really following the word of god, god is against violence.

Jews about violent settlers – They are not really following the word of god, god is against violence.

Christians about Christian fanatics bigots haters racists and molesters – They are not really following the word of god, god is against all of those things.

Yeah, right.

These are also fans, fans are people and there are many kinds of people, good, bad, evil, naive, kind, violent etc.
    And in any club there are fans from all that spectrum.
    So stop giving excuses and look in the mirror, Newcastle fans unfortunately are not different from any other, there are bad ones as well, bad fans and bad people.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Ibiza
    Got it in one they were up for in the zone/motivated with their pre match warm up.

as for us it was a Pre match fart about -looked lethargic as if couldn’t be bothered .

As I said to my son watching the warm up They were up for it

• Spreadthetoon

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

2 of the goals yesterday, our defense backed off and allowed Sunderland the space to attack and score. They were worthy winners, and its even more painful to think that happened at SJP.

I generally do not single out players, but for me that was the worst performance I have ever seen from Jonas. I’ve now reached the conclusion that perhaps he should be bussed out in the summer to make way for another player. Spaces in the squad will be limited…..but perhaps Ince from Blackpool? We need youth and English/British players to fit our quota.

Anyway best not to dwell on yesterday, I was truly gutted and did not want to join the frenzy attack of AP, cos’ he’s our manager for now, so better get behind the players and team and hope we survive the drop. We’re in a dog fight so I hope our players are ready for it!

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Rotonda..So do you propose Ashley fire Pardew today and appoint a new manager in time for West Brom?

I am not saying we just turn a blind eye or simply just “move on” indefinitely, but I am questioning the timing of when, if we do decide to make a change.

On body language, for each example of it being pathetic, there are also examples of it being superb. That is part of what I struggle with, the mood and execution of the manager and players is so extreme. It may be as simple as Pardew, but it may not. Why can someone do something one day, but not the next? Does he just get lucky occasionally?

• ash1001

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Charlie #17

Thats my point exactly, will add that another thing that really gets me which is our physios etc never make a move from their seats until the ref waves them on, Sunderland and the same applies to other teams, the physios are up and around the pitch, so its the shortest route to the injured player.
    The same applies to substitutions for an injured player, other teams use delaying tactics not to be running a man short, we just go with the 10 for as long as it takes the sub to sort himself out.
    Totally unprofessional.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM

G

We need rid totally. His whole philosophy is just sucking the life out of the club.

• Ian Toon

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Ibizatoon- I won’t ask if your fighting fit because it’s inappropriate after the after match hooliganism! Your so called dispassion I see as keeping a cool head whilst all around you are panicking. This is your style and one I share. I could compare yesterday’s performance somewhat like a bad car accident I witnessed a few years back. It was so horrible as it unfolded that you wanted to look away but your eyes kept going back. Especially having such an emotional stake in the match your mind is forever returning to the realisation of a gawd awful showing by the toon. For me the judgement of the manager comes at the end of the season. Our performances over the remaining games will determine whether he occupies the hot seat next season.
    Certainly our next home performance against Liverpool will be a big
    game to harden opinions. I along with Pardew thought a few of the youngsters would make a worthwhile contribution and that we old be
    Somewhat bolder in our play. I share a lot of the views of Tads and. Beattie’s points on team selection are pointers that have been made by me and fellow fans for weeks. Sissoko is being played out of position
    and would be a good replacement for Tiote with Cabaye ( who didn’t look fit) in an advanced position behind Cisse. Jonas is not a starter but now a good sub. We badly miss fire power and need to be more
    positive with 4-3-3 and the reintroduction of Anita for WBA. Yesterday the mackems played with fight and determination which needs to be a feature of our play.
    Until the next time enjoy!

• Markaccus

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Oleg…. you make it seem like these people represent the true nature of all football fans. All those religious groups you mentioned…. those are minorities who use religion as an excuse for violent conquest, when i reality they just want conquest for their own personal gain. Theses hooligans would find something else to fight about if they were no longer able to use football as an excuse to exercise their violent nature. I follow nufc watching games when and where i can. But like most people i dont go on a violent spree if we lose. Please think carefully before you tar everyone with the same brush

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Ian…Good man for coming on the blog, I know it isn’t made easy.

We will all handle it in our own way, one thing is for sure, there isn’t a single toon fan that wasn’t completely gutted after that “game”.

Busy summer ahead, but first things first, back to business, we still have 5 games to deal with.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Pardew
    Call yourself a manager, carver Call yourself a coach
    1. Please change the corner routine. Try a few short corners.
    2. Get players up to help Cisse when attacking – take a leaf out of Sunderlands books yesterday.
    3. Get your full backs to come short for goal kicks and throw outs
    mix it up as it is far to predictable.
    4. Get men in front of our defence when defending – like Sunderland did yesterday – there 4 man defence came 7 8 men yet counter attacked with pace.
    5. Get our players to have one touch less on the ball which will release Cisse a lot quicker.
    6 Get players to move into a position to collect a pass after they have passed the ball instead of standing still.
    7 Get some passion and commitment back into our team.

Easy Eh !!!!

• bob52

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Here we go again blaming Pardew, this player or that player, facts are facts and we have played twice as many games in the past two weeks as them, we looked tired and we were tired, it was horrible to watch and listen to the biased commentary on sky sports, but once again we got the bad decisions and were punished for playing Gutierrez because he is a Pardew favourite. I hate to read these negative comments day after day negativity breeds negativity, we have good players and I believe a manager who is not the useless no ideas man readers claim after every defeat.

• wattos

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Trying to look objectively(!) at yesterday’s performance, the one thing that stands out for me which has been a recurring theme with the team over the last 2-3 years (even last year when we were getting much better results) is the lack of movement off the ball. When we have possession we don’t have enough players making runs and trying to find space and when the opposition have the ball we don’t close down space quickly enough. The very best example of this was actually last year when we went to Arsenal and lost 2-1 after Ben Arfa had scored, if you watched that game the difference between the sides was that Arsenal always had 3 or 4 players running in space when they had possesion and when they lost posession they had players quickly closing down the space and challenging the player on the ball.

Its a really worrying trend, because it doesn’t matter how good your players are, if tactically they are not being coached about the importance of finding space, making runs off the ball and closing down the opposition we will always struggle….

Thoughts?

• toonluvva

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I agree with Charlie & Wattos’s comments on the lack of movement off the ball.
    The first goal came about yesterday because having cut inside Jonas had absolutely no-one to pass to. Having watched it again & again I think he was expecting Debuchy to overlap. However, more than just that once Jonas tried to make passes that were just never on.
    We need the players and coaching staff to rewtch the match to see how the mackems were able to boss the game whereas we just lacked any real passion.
    If we continue in the same vein for the rest of the season we will be struggling to maintain our PL status making it harder to attract the calibre of players we need

• James RS

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Quite right toonluvva…Its all been said already though our players didn’t seem to realise the importance of the fixture..the Mackems showed more passion; desire to win and certainly knew what was at stake whereas NUFC played the game like a friendly and all the new players seemed unaware how much the fixture meant to the fans but I’m sure they do now! not enough movement off the ball and now we have 2 injured goalkeepers.! Krul may have stopped one of the goals too a great keeper who will be missed in the next 6 games. WBA away Pardew needs to get them motivated EVERY game but itll be the same old team with a bit more endeavour maybe after the Mackems. My opinion is its Hughton who should have had the long contract not Pardew…tactically better and would have done better with those new players too.

• benjohnsen

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

What has surprised me the most with Newcastle this season is how many start XI we have been presented to this year. Even though we had a lot of injuries, I think Pardew have rotated players in new position way too often. Even though many of the new players arriving January are better one on one. I think some of the long staying players in Newcastle would have played better together.

Against Sunderland I would probably have started with this eleven.

Simpson – Saylor – Williamson – Perch

Marvaux – Cabaye – Tiote – Gutierrez

Sissiko – Cisse

Most of them have played a lot together before and would probably make a better team performance.

• microbar

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You cant expect any fight from the French players.
    They have never had the stomach for a fight.
    Time to get rid of the lot of them .plus pardew another bottler.