The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fan Support Still The Best – If Not The Team

10:20 am, Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

It’s not something we particularly wanted to hear yesterday, with other things on our minds, but the total attendance at St. Jame’s Park has gone over the million mark with tow more sold out crowds still remaining against Liverpool and Arsenal.

nufc-crowd-2

Fans make Newcastle one of the best supported clubs anywhere

And we’ll need to take something out of those games after the shocking result of Sunday.

The 52,355 attendance on Sunday that saw Newcastle humiliated, took the home crowd total for the season to 1,045,750.

And there should be around another 104,000 added to that for the last two home games still to come, which could prove crucial games.

This is what Alan Pardew said:

“I’m not sure too many clubs in Europe could get 150,000 people through in seven days. It’s amazing, absolutely amazing when you look at the season we have had.”

The question is when are we going to get a team as good as the fans?

We thought we had the makings of a good side last season, but this season has been catastrophic, and to think with five games to go we are still fighting relegation and that’s simply unbelievable – but unfortunately very true. :(

We’ll be happy enough if we survive this season, and then we can look forward to lots of activity in the transfer market this summer – both coming and going.

And that may be a negative view of the current situation, but we cannot forget what happened to us four years ago.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · Fans · Newcastle News · Premier League

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Ibiza,

No, Cabaye if playing keeps the armband.

Beattie,
    I’m not saying Pardew is the man to implement a progressive style of football, however I am pointing out that just because Laudrup won a trophy doesn’t mean a team is transformed in a year. That and it isn’t entirely on pardew’s shoulders. I would be interested in knowing who chose the staff. I would be very surprised if Pardew chose Stone and Carver, I feel both of those were down to them being geordies and the board placating an angry mob who were upset about Hughton’s dismissal.

I’ve said earlier, although maybe to early this morning for you, that I said in Jan with the signings I felt he needed to show improvement. He hasn’t done that on a consistent basis, and if their is a suitable alternative that doesn’t mind low (by EPL standards) basic pay, and a incentivised bonus structure who can do a better job then I am all for it. The only proven, sensible suggestion I’ve seen from someone is Rudi Garcia. Who would you want to replace him with? I certainly wouldn’t want Di Matteo, Martinez or Rodgers.

• 2 Rotonda heights // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

It’s funny

I said right from the start of the season Pardew could take us down and have received dog’s abuse from some quarters.

Well chickens have come home to roost but I take no pleasure in it. I don’t think I’ve watched one enjoyable 90 min game all season and that is a damning indictment for a crowd who have always appreciated attacking exciting football.

Ironically Pardew is so defensive but if you had to pick out 1 good quality about Pardew an organised defense wouldn’t top the list.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Rotonda,
    If you had to pick out 1 good quality about Pardew, which one would you pick then? ;-)

Let’s see if we can come up with something positive! ;-)

• 4 Markaccus // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM

we’re not down yet, Rotonda. Send those chickens back to venki’s

• 5 barkel // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think we have a team that’s up to standard just playing very poorly and lacking a bit of spark. I hate the idea of sacking yet another manager but Pardew really needs help at the moment. I’ve seen it on here a few times suggesting that we expand our coaching staff and get some good technical foreign coaches in and I think that would be the best solution. I’ve heard Pardew works defensively in training 4 days a week .. surely that’s part of the problem. With the full backs and our midfield we should be working on attacking fast flowing football. This season has been so frustrating. Rant over

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Lilongwe…I agree about the captaincy.

On your question @3….him leaving? ;)

• 7 TorqToon // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Ibizatoon – Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Torq…Take it easy mate. Hope to catch up with you soon.

Now off to your pretend job :-)

Thanks Ibiza. But after that, I may just stay away from the blog. At least when Alf gave me grief I knew he was a makem…but didn’t think that of Hatem.

All I’ve ever done is share with people on here bits of information I am lucky to be privy too. Don’t need that abuse from a minority so prob best I move on. Keep that fence in good order my friend and the ITK picture dust free.

HWTL

• 8 WesJameson // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

You make me sick Percy!!

• 9 daztoon // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Cabaye doesn’t warrant the armband not shown to be a leader on the pitch.I couldn’t even say if we have any leaders on the pitch.
    50,000+ every home game to watch a style of football suited to Billy whitehurst now that’s Passion take note Pardew

• 10 Rainrix // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Honestly think we miss nolans character and to some extent bartons. True leaders on the pitch who could fire up a crowd properly and had a never say die attitude. Honestly dont think we have one true leader on the pitch.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

How about his shirt is always pristine and perfectly ironed.

Ibiza you rascal! Twisting my positive thinking question! :-)

• 12 Rotonda heights // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Lilongwe

This is the point stability is not necessarily lost by changing or upgrading a manager if the right template is put in place.

Sousa, Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup are all ” footballing ” managers. Allardyce and Pardew aren’t.

So yes we need to start again with a style to suit our ball players so that if every 3 years there’s a change we upgrade again and continue on the right lines.

At the moment we are not on the right lines and with Pardew will not be for the forseeable.

• 13 WesJameson // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

@ TorqToon // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Keep your info coming mate, we respectable, decent folk, really enjoy the little tit bits of info

Don’t let the few pricks on here, get the better of you mate!!

• 14 Markaccus // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

saw a page on facebook yesterday. They were wanting opinion on whether pardew should go at the end of the season. I’d ESTIMATE that 90 percent of the posts said no, keep him for at least another year. it may have been 80 or 85 percent, it’s just a rough guess after reading throught them, but either way it was a large majority in favour of him staying.

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Torq,
    Take it easy, you can’t stay away too long, this blog will drag you down..I mean back. :-)

Keep flashing that keyring mate

• 16 Shane // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Steven Taylor should be our captain.

The man leads by example. It baffles me why he isn’t captain!

• 17 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM

M’bwia is the epitome of a modern full back.

Decent in the air, good on the ball and has the best positional sense and timing I’ve seen in a defender since cannavaro!

There was a reason so many were excited to see him.

M’bwia is a leader and his real strength comes for organising the back 4 and being a driven and inspirational figure.

For me he looks lost at sea because he can’t communicate instructions to Saylor and perhaps vice versa but mark my words we have one of the best CB’s in Europe.

If only we could stay up!

• 18 Rake // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I’v said this so many times DO YOU really think Ashely would let Pardew sign a 8 year contract without targets to hit…? If he fails to hit the targets given a clause to sack Pardew without compensation or as much compensation is surely in there somewhere?
    It’s just speculation but i cannot imagine Mike just throwing a 8 year contract at Pardew….

• 19 one Tony Green // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

It is ok getting big crowds however St james’ is like a library. Even the Mackems out sung us. Southampton Fulham and Stoke were terrible. The amount of people who leave with 10 minutes to go and also go for a pint 10 minutes before half time is shocking.

Mind you that is just an indication of how bad the Toon have played this season.

• 20 WesJameson // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

@ Rotonda heights // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Agree 100% with you…

Only God knows, how we managed to finish fifth last year, i have seen better football ( Rarely ) at times this season for fek sakes

Still hoping for Blanc to be honest, or maybe the Bayer coach, as he will be jobless soon

Ahhh fek it, never going to happen :(

• 21 Rainrix // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Mark… Well theres been chants all season of “alan pardews black and white army” so its hard to judge where the majority of the opinion lies. Us idiots on 1 blog isnt really a good indicator. Id love to see a huge poll of all newcastle fans to see what the majority opinion is.

• 22 croftus5678 // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

@10

i definatly agree on nolan there as much as i see why we got rid of him it was his captaincy that was second to none and think thats whats been missing all season (even in the first half) collo has no passion and like someone else said cabaye is no leader on the pitch.

mbiwa has proved he can do a great job as captain in the past but im thinking because there pretty much all new players no one wants to single themselves out as leaders.

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Torq….I do hope your feeling changes. Emotions are high, but there is no reason for people to get at you like that.

If not, been a pleasure and hope all goes well for you.

Lilongwe… :)

Rainrix…Many said after Nolan and Barton were sold we’d have a problem and they have been proven right to a large extent. Not enough grab the game by the scruff of the neck characters.

I will add though, that keeping those two may not have been the actual answer, but we need / needed to replace the characters. Barton was / is a liability as has been seen everywhere he has played and Nolan wanted a long and big contract as far as I am aware.

• 24 Markaccus // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Shane… yes Staylor is a leader, and passionate, but also he is a penalty waiting to happen in lots of games. It’s hard to say whether he should be captain with that demon in his make-up. Personally i’m not totally against it, but i’d have my concerns

• 25 Fridge // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Pardew has defensive responsibility with carver offensive responsibility. When SBR managed SBR had offensive responsibility and carver the defensive responsibility. Funny that.

• 26 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Markacus

That’s the worst poll you could ever throw at anyone.

Facebook is designed to get your mates in on the act. If you say to your friends here look at this and your mates all think the same as you then of course the figure will be warped.

How many people voted on this? About 7?

That’s a terrible statistic. We need a proper vote, unbiased and to the point in an arena where opinions are different and thousands of people can be found.

There is no better place than here!

I think you’ll find it wouldn’t be 95% then.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Rotonda,
    I agree, an upgrade doesn’t necessarily mean ruining stability. But Swansea managed because their chairman knew what he wanted. I’m not sure Ashley initially had in mind where or how to achieve his goal, and was misinformed by Jimenez and Wise. He knew Pardew outside of football and I guess he trusted him because of that. I think he will liase more with Carr when looking to move forward, and Carr is probably the person whos opinion he most trusts following the successful signings.

Who would you bring in? Bearing in mind they will have to accept low ish basic pay and incentivised bonus schemes? The top managers wouldn’t accept that, the same way a player already classed as world class wouldn’t. So we are looking at someone hungry, who is looking to prove they can step up. That is surely also a gamble.

• 28 JAMSHA // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM

R.I.P To The Ppl Who Wer Kill In The
    Boston marathon :-(

• 29 WesJameson // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

@ Rake // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Also agree here lad…no chance Percy got a straight forward 8 year contract

I really can’t see him staying next season, Prem or not

I’m still reeling from his appointment actually, the guy has never succeeded at anything, but surprise surprise, Newcastle offered him a job

JOKE!!

• 30 Markaccus // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Rainrix yes, it all depends where the pro-pards and anti-pards gather as to whether you get a positive or negative view on him. This blog seems about 50/50, whereas the one i saw yesterday was mostly pro-pards. Wonder if we could get nufc.com or the official site to run a poll, as they tend to have a big following. Also i think Ed should run one to see where us idiots stand :D

• 31 daztoon // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Solskjaer young,modern and knows the prem.Blanc has an ego just like pardew

• 32 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Tai rid

The chants are part and parcel of football. We can’t sing about colo shagging my wife all the time.

I do think it is born out of respect for last season but I think those chants will dry up on reflection of this.

Is that fickle? I don’t believe so. I think it’s a desire to support a manager who many felt could bring something to the table and unfortunately hasn’t.

Many had excuses for the poor football matches of 2011-12 season but this year is the same football different results and that same football mentality, despite absolutely everything that has happened this season, is why we are where we are. We had teams beat more often than not and anti football came into the equation and now we are relying on other teams to get beat to stay up.

Yet this man may keep his job.

Pardew on a nutshell is Reading at home. Go for the kill rather than protect your 1-0 lead you moron.

• 33 WesJameson // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

@ daztoon // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Very good shout there mate… just think Fergie will whisper sweet nothings to him, and tell him that taking the reigns at St. James will be career suicide

Sir Bobby is turning in his grave ffs!!

• 34 Guj NUFC // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Do not drop M’biwa whatever we do this game, Lukaku would destroy a Coloccini and Taylor partnership to be honest. Deploy Sissoko at CDM, with Perch along side him and Cabaye as the forward most midfielder, as it should be. Ben Arfa and Gouffran/Marveaux on the wings with number 9 in the middle. Haidara and Debuchy full backs. Coloccini/Mbiwa defense. Let’s just fuc*ing get in their faces like last season

• 35 Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Ibiza, I would rather be wrong about Pards, but its been a slow painful learning curve for me about him this season. In reality, even the EL campaign was nothing to get carried away about. If we were out v Kharkiv we couldnt have complained loads. I think the case put forward by guys like Toon Bano , Rotunda and others like Cathy seems to have more depth – and more analysis. Those who have supported Pards through think and thin and doing so more out of decency and gut instinct, and hangging almost everything on the fact that he had one good season based on two hot strikers and a good defensive set up, and the element of surprise. He has plenty of good players, a far better pool than other teams in the bottom 10, and we cant just keep excusing him on injuries etc.

previous post: Newcastle Captain Could Return At West Brom

next post: Whatever Happened To Cheick Tiote?