Newcastle To Try To Sign Carroll For £7M – 20% Of £35M

There is news in the Telegraph today,  that Newcastle will attempt to sign Geordie striker Andy Carroll for just £7M this summer, which is £10M less than what Liverpool are asking, and only 20% (1/5) of what Newcastle got for Andy, when they sold him to Liverpool for £35M just over two years ago.

Andy Carroll

Andy Carroll – could return to Newcastle this summer

Certainly Andy’s star has fallen a lot since he left the Magpies, as  often seems to happen when Newcastle players leave, and it’s happened to players like Shay Given, Michael Owen, Joey Barton and others recently.

The other news is that Andy is too expensive for West Ham,  because of the Financial Fair Play Rules that are being introduced in Europe, but maybe not at just £7M.

West Ham still have first refusal for Andy, but Liverpool’s asking price of £17M is simply too unrealistic, and they’ll never get that for their striker.

It is thought that Newcastle Managing Director Derek Llambias will put in an initial bid of £7M, but it doesn’t seem like there will be many clubs coming after Andy, but of course that could soon change.

One reason the Newcastle manager Alan Pardew wants Andy back at Newcastle,  is that we have scored only one goal from a corner this season, and that was Demba Ba’s hand ball at Reading on 29th September,  and there are over 250 corners from which we have failed to score since that time.

Newcastle seem confident they can get Andy back on Tyneside, because the 24 year-old is said to be very keen to return to his home town club, and of course Newcastle will use his abilities,  much like Chris Hughton did when he was the Newcastle manager.

The Telegraph thinks that Andy’s wages may be a problem – he’s on £80K/week at Liverpool – but we doubt Andy will quibble too much with what Newcastle offer him, since he will have had 30 months of a sky-high wage while at the Reds.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer, but we hope that Andy is not the only striker to arrive at Newcastle, since we need more players than Papiss Cisse, who can score the goals, and we still need to replace Demba Ba.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• reccerobbo

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Suppose he would add another dimension to our game.
    I’d take him as an impact sub give him a run out for the last 20mins of every game let him hold the ball up get his head on the ball and rough the defenders up

• Jackel001

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I’d take him back for 7-8 mill but only if we were going to buy another striker. Bit of support for Pappis too!

• Dublin_Magpie

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM

As much of a joke as he’s become, he was a class player with us. Our set-pieces provide absolutely no threat nowdays, corners are routine and nothing to get excited over. But this guy made teams shit themselves when it came to set-pieces, you can’t deny the record he had with us. Who’s to say if he’ll get back to that standard again, but if the wages were right and he cost 7m, I’d definitely see that as good business that would offer us a lot more in terms of dimensions to our game. Although I don’t know what this would mean for our already appalling hoof-ball tactics……god know’s it already gets us nowhere

Imagine he came back and did the same……

• Charlietoon

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM

What about the sell on fee?? For $35 mill we had to have a sell on clause in there so do we get that off whatever we offer? 🙂

• ONLINE GUY

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM

After spending 2 weeks in the USA and the last week in Windsor, I have met some inspirational people on my travels .. after USA trip, to come back to the Shit of the trouble and the yobo’s and the defeat ..well. I can take the defeat on the Chin, and well done Sunderland ..really well done ..we Were Knackred… to call a spade a spade Knackred… I can get over the defeat and roll with it this time, but I can’t get over the shithouses that call themselves Newcastle fans.

Reflecting on my Travels.. I just want to say to Newcastle Fans worldwide ….Head in the Air , stay proud ..smile, and don’t take life too hard…there are worse things ..Ed will tell you that !…..Returning to Geordie land you realise that we do take things far too Seriously when it comes to Football.

This will all pass …Cheer up, Lad’s n’ Lasses ! .

BTW, I can confirm that the Queen is a curtain twitcher .

• ONLINE GUY

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Weather report from Berkshire ..Warm and windy ..or should I say to muso’s, windy and warm. CIO..u tube

• santonthenewmaldini

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:28 AM

You know what after watching that sorry lot against Sunderland made me realise we do need a striker like him yes its good to play nice passing football but sometimes that wont work and Andy is the man for what would make our new fangled formation work.

It would not have to be direct he could easily be involved in 1 – 2 with Cisse , Arfa etc he would just be able to hold it up and lay it off for Cabaye etc to have shots and for Sissoko to run past him for flick ons

I actually think there might be some truth in us getting him for cheaper as we have a sell on fee but Liverpool apparently still owe us a little money so we might just try take him get him for 10 million max he was amazing for us before he left and if he could regain that form we would have a player on our hands determined to do well again

• mally72

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM

It would be nice to see him back in his home town colours but I very much doubt Liverpool would sell him back to us for as little as 7 mil but stranger things have happened in football even if he did come back we would still need another striker one that would complement cisse in a more attacking formation

• SydneyMag

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I think he was a real success for us when we had players such as barton and nolan who linked up well. I can’t see him fitting in too well to our revamped side with the likes of sissoko and gouffran, they play a different style of football which im not 100% convinced would work with a player such as carroll

• RonVanDam

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:55 AM

AC will suit us becuase our backs and so called wingers are still hoofing into the box. Look at Simpson, Gutti, Debuecy, Santon when they are i the flanks.

• RonVanDam

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM

And lets not forget how badly we miss someone like him during corners

• pbandj

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I’d take Remy over Carroll any day of the week. But if Pardew must have Carroll nufc shouldnt pay a dime over the 7mil reported. He simply isn’t worth anything more than that. We need two strikers anyway as Cisse has shown himself to be incompetent at times so deals seeing both Remy and Carroll to nufc this summer would be welcome.

• RonVanDam

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I’ll take Remy and AC plus a fringe striker. I dont think PEA will thrive in the BPL

• Starman

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Ha Ha Ha,, what a load of rubbish,, why would the Donkey sign for a team facing relegation, if not this year, definitely next year. NFC 0-3 Sunderland, wake up and smell the coffee. If Sunderland can thrash you 3-0, you need help for the rest of the season. 7mill, what is this, AC will not be sent to NUFC for anything less than £17mill. However he might be sold to another club for £12-14mill, that is the news from Anfield, They were ripped off, and will not lose face by selling AC to Newcastle, unless they get Cabaye or Ben Arfa in exchange. And if or when NUFC go back to their rightful place in the Championship, those players and more will abandon ship. Thats a magnificent Manager you have, the longest contract in the history of the game. Hope he gets you promoted to the Premier League within 3-4 years.

• mally72

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I don’t think we can afford Remy now that he’s got the taste of the big wage he will have to take a significant pay cut and not many players do that these days especially ones that have already shown themselves as money grabbers

• arctoa

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Bargain at £7 million, considering what we sold him for. Wouldn’t go above £10 million though, as I imagine, contrary to what you’re saying, that he’d still demand fairly extortionate wages.

Also, last I checked, Newcastle were about 500 points above Sunderland in the all-time first level league table.

• jimmysmith

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:52 AM

He’ll see out his 80k a week contract, even if it means training alone in a park, and then leave on a free.

Like Xisco, Bridge etal and like any sane person would.

• jimmysmith

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:15 AM

Why the f@ck should Andy Carroll take a pay cut. To suit Liverpool? F#ck them, they offered the silly money, didn’t play to his strengths and effectively stalled his career.

Who’s to say he wouldn’t otherwise still be banging them in for the Toon and be a regular for England.

If Liverpool don’t want him, they should pay out his contract in full rather than pressure him to leave on inferior terms and that goes for anyone else who wants him on the cheap, including us..

• RonVanDam

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:27 AM

@jimmysmith

L’pool gave AC a 20.8m contract over 5 years. It’ll be wrong for them to pay out his contact and make a further loss on 35m plus interest they paid NUFC.

They know AC isnt worth more then 10m, he was actually worth 1m in our books when we ere promoted.

Looks like they are trying to recoup whatever they will pay him in wages as his resale value

52wks x 4 years x 80k = 17m (rounding off)
    52 x 1 year on loan to West Ham = 0

• jimmysmith

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Ron, who gives a rat’s about Liverpool in this instance.

Carroll should look to his own interests. Why should he effectively restart his career on inferior terms. Liverpool are liable. Is it right that they can offload him after being so instrumental in derailing his career?

• peaco1980

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Given that Percy is incapable of coaching his teams to pass and move; instead relying on the outdated tactics of Wimbledon circa ’86 and aimlessly hoofing the ball as hard an high as possible – AC would suit. The scary thing is that despite where these tactics have got us (relegation battle) it looks like the only way Pardew knows how to play, and all of you Pardew apologists should ask yourselves whether this is: (a) going to move the club forward and; (b) be entertaining to watch for another season.

• check the toastie

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Number 1 on Graham Carrs shopping list should be a manager who can get the best out of our squad of international footballers.

Until we change the manager we will always underachieve, the man is clueless.

• Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM

We do sometimes lack a physical presence like this up front so I would take Carroll back as another option.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM

…so ppB long time no see!

Have you been lost in a bottle of rhum of something? 😉 lol

• Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Love you starman. Trollock is what you are. Part troll part pillock. Yep I had to invent a new term just for you.
    Our rightful place in the championship? Lol yeah ok.

• Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM

@captain jesp lemon maybe I have mate. More that my old phone played up on this site though

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Won’t be able to buy him –

It’s in the stars – Carroll or Nolan will score and put a nail in our relegation coffin

and Loic Remy will score for QPR and doom us to the Championship.

AGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM

ppB…yeah I know what you mean about the phone playing up on this site.

…I have to enable single columns for it to be readable 🙂

Good to have you back though!

• Bambams

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Andy = Newcastle City Centre = Trouble.

Mark my words we need a different striker.

I believe that its just paper talk.

• carl

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Charlie
    Good Morning. Please Stop being a right Charlie! With a rested and better prepared squad going forward our premier status will be determined long before we play the happy hammers. Why be a blind follower start thinking for yourself and take a realistic view. Unless you enjoy being so negative. A number of toon army fans are expecting us to bounce back at WBA which is reflected I am told in the late surge in ticket sales.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Good morning campers.

Another day and another Andy Carroll story.

As always, at the right price (£7m sounds fair enough tbh) then bring him back.

Was watching some of our old games before he went to Liverpool and I think people forget just how good he was for us at the time. Not just with his head. Whether he can recapture that though I don’t know.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Carl…Whilst I do think we should be able to collect our own points for safety this season, I am hoping all three of the “big boys” do us a favour tonight and see of West Ham, Fulham and in particular Wigan.

• PAULNUFC

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Starman and your rightful place would be
    Midle table no top 7 below manchester united…. what place were yous last season again

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Carl
    I’m being ironic
    Hope your right. But we have got to pl;ay a damn lot better than against the Mackems

• carl

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Ibizatoon-Back By Popular Demand.
    Good Morning. Do we have to use the full title or are you know on your own? Your right we do need all the help we can get. Don’t tell anyone but I have been working on tactical favourable outcomes for sometime. I wanted Arsenal to win last night so that we could more easily turn them over in our last game. It’s always good to stumble on a blogger who is positive when it comes to the toon. Time for speculation should be at the end of the season.

• carl

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Charlie
    I always thought you weren’t a lost cause. Leave the irony and sarcasm to Ibiza. He’s honed the art. Be lucky.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Carl…Valid point, whilst “Back by popular demand” was always a joke, it is perhaps well past its sell by date now.

Your secret is safe with me 😉

It is hard for people to stay positive at times like this and I do understand why. All any of us can do right now is to keep supporting and see where we are at the end of the season. I don’t see too much point in predicting anything really as anything can happen over the course of 5 games of football.

We have a nice long summer break coming up and I do expect a shake up of some sort, it was always (or should have been anyway) going to happen. Interesting days ahead, bit more nervy than I would have liked or expected.

• Spahndirge

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I mostly miss Carroll for our defending corners. Usually he got more than 50% of them out of our box

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Ibiza

You’re right its hard to stay positive. seen to many ups and more downs in the 50 years Iv’e followed the Toon.
    And this season I have seen very little on the pitch to be positive about.
    As I put it Got some great players as individuals but have not got a TEAM

• carl

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Ibiza
    Good to see Ruddy, Ian Toon and Pushy P back on here yesterday.
    I sent Ed a message a few weeks ago and he could not trace a problem on any multiple postings. He told me to get on with it. I have my own thoughts on that and your name being misused but it’s best forgotten. On football it really is a game at a time. I can’t see any mileage in looking at anything other than getting points to ensure we’re playing at PL level. Then we can decide the best way forward. I have to say I am not as kindly disposed towards Pardew as many. He’s still got to convince me he can handle top draw players. I favour shaking up players in selection. Saylor was a clown in the Derby game back to his habit of backing off into the penalty area.