Pardew Under Pressure – Must Repair The Damage

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew will find out this week that he has a lot of work to do in the next five games, if he is to repair the damage done to his reputation at Newcastle, after his team lost to Sunderland at home for the first time in 13 years, and by the biggest margin since we lost 4-1 at home way back in 1979.

alan pardew sunderland loss

Alan Pardew – under pressure

It probably shouldn’t be like this but how Newcastle teams do against Sunderland matter a lot, and to lose 3-0 has completely embarrassed Newcastle fans, who were simply humiliated on Sunday afternoon.

And it’s not enough that the referee had a terrible game and all that, but the Sunderland payers wanted it more than Newcastle, and that’s simply unacceptable.

So fans will be watching to see how the lads play in the last five games of the season, and especially at West Brom on Sunday afternoon  because Alan did himself no favors at all on Sunday, and also after the game with his comments about players being tired.

It’s all in the mind and I remember in the marathons I ran in the 1980s I always sprinted the last 100 yards, even though they are that hardest thing I’ve ever done, and that’s simply meant as an illustration that tiredness is all in the mind – and that sometimes I can be an idiot. 😀

Alan has talked to the local press today:

“We certainly can do a week’s work with Hatem and Debuchy, who had his first game (back from injury.”

“And Cheik, we’ll do more work with him.” “We’ll give a rest to some of the other guys,”

“Certainly, Thursday and Friday we’ll be working on team shape, because our shape wasn’t right. It was a little bit loose – we can’t have that.”

A number of our players did look poor on Sunday, and in particular the captain for the day Yohan Cabaye, and Moussa Sissoko – two od our best players who haven’t had the impact over the last few games.

But tiredness is not an excuse that can be used in any of the last five games of the season, and we still need at least 6 points to get to safety.

Alan Pardew needs to use those five games to rehabilitated himself as the Newcastle manager,  after the worst Newcastle loss to Sunderland in 34  years, and that after Sunderland had lost six and drawn three of their previous nine league games.

It’s not good enough.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================;

• Rainrix

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM

How come every-time i write a decent sized post theres a new topic? Shenanigans Ed out! 😉

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Rotonda
    Well i’ll be F**ked
    just posted this on last thread and Pardew comes up with this on this thread

Felt sorry for Simpson, Williamson who put in very good displays on thursday against Benfica.
    I wonder if some of the replacements.
    Debuchy, Taylor, Tiote and Ben Arfa, were fit/up to speed for the derby

Then why the F**k play them from the start

• El Sleeve

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

swap sissoko and cabaye, would be a start. sissoko is not a CAM

• Rainrix

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I think tiredness can excuse cabs socks and maybe marv as they’ve all looked nackered of late. In the future though it wont ride as well.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Rainrix….I think you get the beauty of the fence. I have no real “camp”, whilst I do back Pardew I am open to other ideas.

No piercing wood? Sorry, do deal, that’s the best part.

I agree with Pardew in that our shape was woeful. I imagine that includes our pressuring and positioning which was the worst I’ve seen in a long time from us.

Ed…”that sometimes I can be an idiot” – Can’t we all! On point though, completely agree, normally the hard work really comes at the end and you need to be able to pull up your socks and get the job done.

• Joe Blog

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Dead man walking!

I like how his response to that game, is to focus even more on team shape and structure, something they purportedly already spend 3/4 days of training on! If something so fundamental isn’t embedded in then now Alan, then there’s something wrong with the methods and the delivery of them – sling your hook!

I want a vibrant, buzzing NUFC, not this dour brand you serve up, stifling our attacking players with your negativity and percentage football (which is always misleading).

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

El Sleeve…with the way Sissoko can charge through players using his strength and pace he is surely better suited as a box to box midfielder? Yes it worked for a few games as a CAM, but now he needs to push him back.

• Joe Blog

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

3/4 days of training on, a week!*

• Rainrix

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Charlie… For some reason i dont think tayls was even injured tbh. It was probably an excuse to keep him fresh for the derby. If he’d been straight up dropped it would’ve looked defeatist from pards against benfica. Tiote though shouldn’t have come straight back in given the form he’s been in. He just seems to be another Undroppable member of pards team.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

El Sleeve

That’s the really worrying thing. Stuff like that is so obvious to the man on the street but not Pardew, oh no, that would just make way too much sense when he can make it all so much harder for us!!!

• Rainrix

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM

ibiza… I though that was a decent offer like. Ah well prepare for military occupation. 🙂

I must admit its admirable you still back pards you have the patience of a saint 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Joe Blog

_ _ _ _ _ _

So spot on. This is what so many of us apparently want but yet we get accused of being anti NUFC or not real fans because we don’t rate Pardew. You couldn’t make it up.

Just so sick of all the Europa, injuries, not enough players etc excuses. It’s his useless negative dark age tactics when he is out-thought by virtually every other EPL manager and Poyet !!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Raintrix
    Seems Tiote is a one trick pony his aggressive style of play.
    take that out of his game and there’s nowt there.
    I would like to of seen Anita given a run in the team – I like him but has not had a run in the team to settle in

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Does
    Club nufcblog contributors ever have a get together before matches ????

• daztoon

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM

A full week training he should start with the basics first pass and move and then show them how to close a player down and stop all this backing off giving em room to get a shot in

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Rainrix…As I said it’s backing of him until the alternative is there. Not endless backing.

I mentioned yesterday we’re only 5 points off 9th placed Swansea who every is seemingly blown away with, this isn’t just about results. He hasn’t implemented a style most are happy with quick enough, which maybe is fair enough and maybe will never come. I don’t know, so in the meantime don’t feel the need to condemn the man, we knew what he is, I assume Ashley did when he hired him, I don’t see any benefit to venting at Pardew. Simple as that really.

Can you hear me down there from my fence?

• Rainrix

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Charlie…. I dont think theres out wrong with being an aggressive player, it can be a huge plus to have in a team. tiote however has been off the rails this season. I want the player from 2 seasons ago back. Pards needs to sit him down and tell him to go back to basics and just calm the hell down. Anita does deserve his chance though he’s been criminally underused this season.

• Rainrix

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Ibiza… Well i get your thinking i do, i just think his style is a bit of a dinosaur. Or maybe pardew does need more time to implant his style on us, but how long will that take? He’s had 2 1/2 years already.

Im more apathetic towards the whole debate today, in reality im still on the fence but just leaning slightly backwards towards the dark side.

Im still invading though 🙂

• daztoon

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Tiote needs time on the bench thinks he’s a superstar now.He needs to watch how the McCreery,Batty types of old played that position he ain’t fit to lace their boots

• Rotonda heights

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM

ibiza

Laudrup has achieved better results and played far more entertaining football including winning a cup in his first year an he has one it without 5 full French internationals and a near 20M top up in January.

the worrying trend with Pardew is that Sissoko looked a world beater, now after he has been ”Pardewed”’ he just looks lost and confused.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM

and he has done it

• Dannyo

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I wonder how many times AP will blame circumstances before he blames himself?
    Failure to lift players for games, failure to put round pegs in round holes and not continuously the oposite. Failure to utilize the strength in players.
    He picks the right players, there’s no doubt about that, but the style he often plays them in is wrong, resulting in below par performances.

He can rightly blame injuries this season and a paper thin squad for the first half of it. Still also lacking a goalgetter.
    Doesn’t matter much though, some of the results we’ve had simply shouldn’t have happened.

Imo, APs is putting too much faith in his players, he should get back to basics of last season.
    Have the back 4 carry a rope in training while defending so they learn how to stay organised and etc. (Yes, he did that)

Treat the players as dumb cows, don’t rely on anyone, be specific in training and in the tactic room.

Somewhere around here lies the fault imo.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Rainrix…No idea. How long does it take to implement a different style to a new team that haven’t really played that as a cohesive unit before (allowing for the fact that we have a fair few players who have it the past). I really don’t know, especially with all the chop and change that’s been happening this season. Truth is, it needs to start at the bottom and work it’s way up, that’s a big issue throughout the PL. But first things first 🙂

People look to Laudrup and what he has done to Swansea, but he did inherit a lot of that and has really added a goal scoring threat to it, not exactly a re-build.

Invade away, looks like I’ll be needing the company.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Raitrix
    not complaining about his aggressive nature
    But thats gone this season to and when its gone there does seem much more to his game and sure to hell he can’t shoot. he was t-eed up Sunday and balzed it a mile wide

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Rotonda…Not going to try and take too much away from Laudrup, but see my post above. Yes he has done well, but they were already playing a similar style for years. Of course the adjustment wasn’t too hard.

Dannyo…I think arrogance and faith may have played a huge part in this season to be honest. We definitely started the season with an attitude of we’re top 6 now, we’ve arrived. Back to basics indeed.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I think initially Ash went with what he thought would be a crowd pleaser in KK and then later Shearer. These were both poor choices for differing reasons.

However, he then went to extremes by getting Kinnear and latterly Pardew.

How in anyone’s thinking does a club with 52000 home fans appoint any one of the above with the CV’s and history they had / have.

If I was an owner I would want a top man with a proven and CONSISTENT history with a rep for good football.

Ok Hiddinck may not be available but some up and coming progressive technical continental manager has to be the way forward with the players we have assembled. No more dour English deadbeats.

• Rainrix

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Ibiza… Agree about laudrup he seems to be a messiah figure to some on here when like you say he inherited a unit. Thats the thing people forget about swansea they’ve had relatively the same core unit of players and style for the past 5 years and thats just been augmented with newer players over the years. theres no guarantee a tippy tap manager would have us playing brilliant football instantly and then he’d be the new club scapegoat and then we’d be back to square one.

And dont worry i am i can manage a group of people. If this was pardew half would die on the way a quarter would starve and a quarter would revolt and pardew would be left in the forest alone going “well we was.. i mean it was good for about 10 minutes then we was tired and and and ” 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The thing about stating Laudrup as an example is that he has only had to tweak certain aspects. Swanseas chairman identified how he wanted his side to play around 10 years ago, and each managerial change has seen him continue employing people with the same philosophy. Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers, and now Laudrup. So yes, Laudrup has won a trophy in his first season and has given them a marginally more cutthroat nature, but it was minor tweaking.

Pardew inherited a team playing a direct style of football. Has it changed enough in his time? In my opinion, and I’m sure most peoples, no, it hasn’t. Is that just down to him, or can it be attributed to other factors as well, personnel, injuries, coaching staff? I think the blame is across the board on that.

• blew

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Cant see how he who has got the club into a mess, can correct the slide. APs CV is there for all to see.
    Carver is the attacking coach, pump high balls into the
    box and we dont win one!
    We are in serious trouble with the current set up

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Rainrix & Lilongwe…My point exactly.

• GeordieInSunderland

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM

First of all can you imagine what its been like living here since Sunday don’t think I saw a sober person on Sunday night coming out of the pubs. Fresh from the game I also had to suffer tea at my Father in Laws a season ticket holder at Sunderland with my two boys both gutted and my wife who fortunaetly doesn’t like football.

For me Pardew is tactically inept lets his ego get in the way and is constantly trying to prove he knows what he is doing. I’m not 100% sure whether I want him replaced maybe give him one more season even though I can’t stand to listen to him waffling on after games.

I am wondering whether with so many foreign players whether we need a foreign manager to get the best out of them and one with new ideas.

Any thoughts anyone

• Munster Mag

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Ibiza, its quite simple. Its looking like guys like you were badly wrong in terms of their appraisal of Pardew. I was a supporter too, although not half as ardent as man ( including your good self ) on this site. There no point saying that you will back him until we get an alternative. Thats a given. In reality though, people on here have misread his ability as a manager and being conned to a point. Guys like Toonbanno who analysed his games and substitutions and excuses and dead ball rubbish were slated, but they are closer to correct than many others on here. Every club needs a manager to be the figurehead and transfer systems must operate around his football philosophy. That doesnt happen here. There is a disjoint between the managers philosophy, and the type of players the head scout wants. This is all wrong, but after Pardews usual first fgood season ( as demonstrated at other clubs ) , we are regressing. Its sad because some aspects of his personaility etc are very likeable, but the nagging doubt in all of us is that we can do so much better in terms of mgt and coaches.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Munster…Sorry mate, I don’t feel I have yet been proved wrong.

On Pardews style? Maybe. It hasn’t improved enough and maybe that’s enough for everyone to have had enough.

Apart from that over two seasons he’s probably shown he’s a mid table manager, do we have a squad better than that, on paper yes, but it is still new and to push on was always going to take some time.

I may never get the chance to know for sure whether he could do better as he may well be looking for a new job this summer. Second season syndrome has been a seemingly big issue for Pardew, but I don’t think he’s been given many chances to put that right, which seems more along the lines of that when the going gets tough, Pards is sent away. Maybe correctly, but I cannot know that with any certainty.

As always, I will welcome a better manager with open arms.

• nufc 11

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Couple of things id like to see change Santon needs to be moved up top on the right of top 3 with cisse in the centre and HBA on the left, Haidara to LB, trio of cabaye, sissoko, and tiote, in the midfield, that team has a better shape than one we playing lately, to be fair to the board i think they are going to stick with the manager due to chop and change mentality of the past but it has to be that AP is playing for his future and needs to put hings right now and start a good run that brings us into next season becoz this one has been a right off, a disaster to be honest.

• Sav

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

If Pardew got in a top coach, I’d be happy to see him continue to manage. He deals well with the players including settling in a big foreign contingent and some potentially difficult customers (Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Ba, Coloccini etc) and with everyone from the owner and staff to the media. I don’t expect the manager to be a coaching genius. Probably Carver is more the loyal leiutenant and a ‘club man’ than an inspirational coach.
    When Pardew came first, he criticised the ball retention and passing here and that indicated his preferred style of play. Great. But where is it now, 2 years on? Any better? Hardly. Our record at corners, defending or attacking, is woeful. Sissoko looks great when we are on the back foot and he has acres to gallop into, but he doesn’t have much impact yet when we are pressing and space is tight. There is a lot to do over the summer and in addition to a second striker, the first thing needs to be a ‘Grahame Carr’ of the training ground. On an 8-year contract, Pardew is here for a few more years, yet but we still need to fix what’s going wrong.