PSG’s Leonardo Fancies Yohan Cabaye This Summer

The Paris Saint-Germain Sporting Director Leonardo Araujo, the former Milan and Inter-Milan manager, says he is interested in signing Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye this summer.

yohan cabaye 321

Yohan Cabaye – some top clubs in for him this summer

PSG is now a very wealthy club, and Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) became the majority shareholder of PSG in May of 2011, when they bought 70% of the shares of the club.

QIA acquired control of the club in a deal worth around €50M, which supposedly covered an estimated €20M in debt and losses of €19M from the 2010–11 season.

And since then, they have invested huge amounts of money in the transfer market and in players’ wages, in an effort to make the Paris based club one of the best in Europe.

How this leaves them with the Financial Fair Play Rules is a good question, but they have already been warned by UEFA President Michel Platini – since clubs must soon balance their books, and can only spend money they get into the club in revenues.

If they don’t adhere to the rules they will be barred from European competition, and that has already been applied to Spanish club Malaga, because of their perilous financial position and failure to pay out wages to their players and officials.

So the next time Malaga qualify for Europe – hard lines – they will miss out.

leonardo

PSG Sporting Director Leonardo

And it seems 43 year-old Leonardo is eyeing some top French players this summer, and he had this to say to the Italian daily Gazzetta dello Sport today:

“I like the idea of seeing major French players at the club. I’m not talking about Karim Benzema, but maybe Nasri, Ribery or Cabaye.” “I do not know if it’s possible as I have not had any contact with any of them.”

“There have never been any offers regarding the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo, neither of Rooney or Cavani.”

We don’t know why some people in football talk openly of the players they want – and it’s a little disrespectful – but former Newcastle manager Graeme Souness used to do it all the time – in fact his strategy seemed to be to do Newcastle’s transfer business through the press. 😀

But it will be no surprise at all if top clubs come in for Yohan Cabaye this summer, and then it will depend on how much they offer, but PSG have proved, like Manchester City before them – that they have more money than sense – so perhaps we’ll get a daft bid from them for Cabaye – say £30M – and he will be gone at that price.

Especially since we bought him for just £4M just two years ago – and if that bid comes in and we sell – then Kevin Keegan could  be right that we are a selling club – but only for ridiculous transfer fees.

And think what we could do with £30M – we could buy 10 players with that money – and it would be – over to you Sir Graham Carr.

====================================

We’d like to say a word about the tragedy at the Boston Marathon yesterday.

There are so far three fatalities including an 8 year old boy, who was waiting for his father to finish the race, and his mother and young sister are badly injured.

170 are injured and some very seriously, having lost limbs in the explosions.

Our hearts go out to all the families and friends of those killed and injured in yesterday’s bombings.

====================================

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM

You’re killing me here Ed

Ibiza

I think he has found his top level; over achieving with a mid table club.

However, we wish to move beyond being an overachieving mid table club into being a top half club with European ambitions and little, if nothing, I have seen from Pards this season has indicated he can manage these expectations.

Like I’ve said though, I am willing for him to be given the first half of next season to prove this definitively but if he is replaced in the summer (with a suitable upgrade) then I will thank him for his work and look to the future.

I haven’t put the defeat at Pardew’s door, the players are more susceptible to blame for their abject performance, but the defeat in itself has made me look at him much more closely.

• Tinman - Catchy for Manager

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Ed,

Who doesnt fancy Cabaye?

• Ulster_Toon

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM

30 million and id take it and reinvest in the team. Plenty of quality midfielders we can get for less, with money to invest in a striker. Hopefully someone will bid for tiote too, he has become such a liability.

• JackButler

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM

As hard as it is to admit, we could see a few of our big players leave come the summer unless there are some major changes.
    With PSG the like’s of Cabaye would flourish while if he stays here all class and talent will be coached out of him as he’s already a shadow of the player we signed from Lille

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I might just go to bed and wake up in a few years and see how things have panned out 🙂

Ruddy…I do feel and will be hounded by many that he has been extremely unlucky this year, much like people say he was lucky last year. So I guess that probably ties in nicely with being a mid-table manager.

I for one, will not be saddened at seeing him next season to give it another shot, that would be fair in my eyes, but life isn’t always fair and at the end of the day, we all want what is best for Newcastle. I didn’t think it fair that Hoots was fired, but we moved on and so we will after Pardew.

I do still think that the players let us down more than Pardew on Sunday, but that is neither here nor there at this stage.

So then, what’s next on the agenda?

• Transfer Sage

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Couldn’t blame him for going either.

Back to his home country and to a team that looks set to dominate its domestic league in the coming years as well as champions league football too.

Hope he stays but if he goes we get a lot of money and move on, bringing in a few good players. It worked for spurs selling Carrick, modric, berbatov, keane etc

• Cisse's Big Toe- Not Quite As Anti Pardew As Beattie Crew

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Kevy im on my fifth or sixth season and his overall is 82 and hes still improving rapidly

• Cisse's Big Toe- Not Quite As Anti Pardew As Beattie Crew

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM

doonnttt sellll cabaaaayeee

they dont even know what a riot is yet lol

• Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM

After this season Cabaye is living off reputation. Based on current form no top clubs should be looking at him.

I think though he owes us another season.

If he leaves he will never have any further respect from me.

Good player, miss used but hasn’t given anything to earn a big move away.

I dotpnt even know if that makes sense?!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM

In sure graham Carr not only scouts players to improve us but also players to come in if we receive a huge bid for one of our stars as well.

Every faith in the scoutin system, just need to make sure we learn from past mistakes and buy some players when needed and not hold out to save one or two million, which isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Tinman
    previous article

It wouldn’t matter if Bolt was playing or the tallest man in the world still would not be able to find him from our corners anyway.

• looizallan

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Ideal, for the quality that we brought in for such little money in january, selling Cabaye would be ideal. I rate Cabaye highly, but he does have his off days. Say against benfica at st James, he was awful, couldn’t pick out a player with every single long ball he made. If I were in charge I’d be welcoming offers for yohan with open arms, but then again there’s a lot of things I would do if I were in charge!

• JackButler

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

@Beattie25

He owe’s us nothing mate and his current form is in line with the rest of the squad’s……………………poor!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Beattie

Top top player and does it every time for France, even this year. Which to me shows his Newcastle form is down to his role and not just him. Might not put as much effort for us but for the national side he looks top drawer every game.

Can see why PSG would be after him. You’d get a good 5 years minimum from him.

• JackButler

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM

@Transfer Sage

I think we all have faith in our scouting system but how much faith is there in our coaching system to get the best out of players???

• Transfer Sage

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Cabaye isn’t the best at 60 yard balls, he thrives up top shooting around the box/getting into it and slipping 10/20 yard balls through gaps for forwards….he isn’t a xabi alonso type which is how we use him

• magpiemover

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

came out side the club shop walking by the milburn stand a black car pulled up and out gets a coloured bloke followed by by brighton manager Gus Poyet
    and they both were standing at main reception for ages then the went up in 1 of the lift , thought it was weird

• daztoon-anti christ is that the time

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

maybe get Sakho and Gameiro plus a bit of cash

• Transfer Sage

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Jack

Currently no faith in our coaching set up from my end.

Last year we ground out results. This year it’s the same plan but the players seem o not want that anymore, and you can’t blame them. Flair players obviously will get sick of defending for 90% of the game.

Saying that, these technical players don’t help the manager by messing up even basic passing and control so they are to fault as well.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM

If we go down the who will stay ????? – not many – if any – so we will have a huge re-building programme

• Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I just think given the dreadful performances and lack of contrived effort they players do owe us a little bit.

Even if its giving 200% for the final 5 games.

I love him, I know how gifted he is, I know we haven’t used him properly but I just feel we are owed something back.

I know what I’m trying to say but I’m coming across as an angry fan.

He has to think of his career but our future as a football club should be his first priority as a professional footballer employed by us and going off this season (I know he’s had depression) he needs to give a little back!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM

BandB

From previous thread. I know a thing or two about mindless sectarianism given where in the world I find myself in, so believe me I have no interest moving from one tribal country and partaking in the sectarianism of another.

Sunderland fans are football followers, just as we are. We both love our clubs, and I for one was always proud to say “no matter what happens in the derby, NUFC, and SAFC always leave it on the pitch”

I was ashamed on Sunday as I could no longer say that. The shame, disappointment, at such events may be felt more sharply by yourself as you have seen first hand the devastation it has on your home city, but I feel the same shame, disappointment and anger too.

No one is superior or inferior to each other. We may voice our opinions more vigorously, or word it in more flowery language, but such is the tapestry of humanity.

I, like you and every other poor blighter on this blog and the world round, love this football club dear

• kevymartins

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM

If chelsea sign falcao or another top striker which is most likely big demba is really gona rott on there bench. Do you think he is someone to look at? would they take him back?

• chuck

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

30 million ?
    You gotta be kidding, fiteen and he’s outta here, you think Ashley’s gonna turn down ten million profit.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Ibiza

No one could doubt the “if he was lucky last season he’s unlucky this season” approach, but I must admit that I don’t think this is good enough, if we truly want to move forward as a club. We need a manager who can spot ways to win regardless of circumstances.

If he starts next season as gaffer he will have my unwavering support, he still has my support right now, I am simply stating that I feel he is now on MA’s radar towards being replaced, much how I feel Hughton was always on MA’s radar to being replaced the moment we got promoted as MA never rated Hoots as a PL standard.

Does he rate Pards as a top 4/top 6 manager?

• JackButler

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

@Transfer

I honestly don’t know what the coaches and players are doing all week on the training ground as our ball retention, passing and crossing has been sub standard all season long.

And for a side that is put out with a defensive mind set it shows just how poor we are as we have one of the worst defensive records in the league.

I’ve seen great players come to this club in the last few years while some are still being played out of position they have all regressed.

For me Pardew will be remembered alongside Daglish and Souness

• Cisse's Big Toe- Not Quite As Anti Pardew As Beattie Crew

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

did nobody pick up on the mention of gus poyet at our ground a few posts back

• JackButler

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM

@Cisse’s Big Toe

Yeah Poyet is at the club right now with Messi and Falcao 😀

• blew

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Magpie @17
    You are being cruel, building up peoples hopes
    Are you a Mackem in disguise teasing us?
    My greatest wish at present is an immediate clearout of the coaching staff, before it is too late

• Patoon

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Cisses big toe

wer did u c that about Poyet

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I’ve always maintained that the one player I have no worries about leaving its wor cabs
    He’s going nowhere he was bought in to be our future captain and the heartbeat of our team, he bought in to our 5 year plan which didn’t include Europe this season, he’s not going to go after one bad season

• Cisse's Big Toe- Not Quite As Anti Pardew As Beattie Crew

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM

did i miss something is post at 17 just a wind up merchant

• Patoon

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Not a fan of tiote at all thsi season, he can’t pass or do anything good with the ball but wot he was good at in his first season and at the start of last was breaking up play, liable 2 get booked yes but he was very effective, i think under the proper management and worked on in training, which i don’t think happens at Newcastle, Tiote could rediscover his form

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM

@17

Did you just say “coloured bloke”?

• Jackel001

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I would give Gus a chance next season, him Blanc or olly.

And Tinman giving Bolt a contract would make us into the biggest laughing stock. Ever.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Blew
    Your right it is cruel, because poyet is in no way a fcuking upgrade!!!
    People on here bang on about if your happy with pardew your happy with having no ambition, the team should be playing a fast continental brand of football, but then see it as progress to appoint a championship manager??? Do me a favour! We should be scouring the top half of the Spanish, German, Dutch, French leagues if we’re truly looking to progress not the fcuking fizzy pop league!!

• Charlietoon

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Would not get rid of Pards at all. We are building a team with a cohesive vision and though Pards has made mistakes, he admits them, and considering the injuries we have had and the failure of some of the younger kids to step up he should not shoulder the whole blame. Tiote has had a terrible year. Collo has had his head turned and has not has his head in NUFC for at least 6 months.

• Jackel001

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Sorry, If pards has a stinker of a summer, pre season and start of the season, then I would one of them a go!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Tads

And breathe 😉

I happen to agree though.

• JackButler

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM

@kevymartins

Ba is no different to Carrol, both can rot on their benches with their bank statements. They jumped ship for the money and only have their greedy little selves to blame

1 2 3 7