The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve Harper Could Reach 200 Appearances For Newcastle

5:34 pm, Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

With Tim Krul out for the rest of the season, and Rob Elliot now nursing an ankle injury, Steve Harper could still have some first team appearances remaining in his Newcastle United career, which at the most has five games to go, since Steve will leave the club in the summer,  when his contract runs out.

steve harper at Everton 2-2

Steve Harper – could play at the Hawthorns on Saturday

Steven has made 198 appearances for Newcastle since he joined the club twenty years ago from his local club Seaham Red Star in 1993, when Kevin Keegan was the Newcastle manager.

Steve was the understudy to Shay Given until Shay left in the January of 2009, and joined Manchester City, in what turned out to be a relegation season, and Steve was the first team goalkeeper for two and a half seasons after that, until Tim Krul became the number one goalkeeper in the summer of 2011.

Rob Elliot picked up an ankle injury in the 3-0 loss to Sunderland on Sunday, and the former Charlton goalkeeper, who has shown some excellent form this season for Newcastle, will continue to be assessed this week.

But if he cannot make it on Saturday, then Steve will make his 199th appearance for Newcastle United, and if Rob is a longer-term casualty Steve could finally get to 200 appearances for the team.

Harper has been suffering from a long-term knee injury – but he is now fully fit and he had this to say in the Evening Chronicle about his fitness:

“I’m fit now. I can play if needed. But we’ll see what happens.” “I feel good and I feel strong.”  “I’ve made seven appearances this year and we only lost against Man United, who are flying at the top of the league and winning it by a mile.”

Steve has ample experience and he will not the side down, and in fact if he does play at West Brom it will be a great opportunity for him to show that he’s still a top goalkeeper,  since he wants to keep on playing after he leaves Newcastle.

But we think Rob may still have a chance to play,  and we’ll probably learn more at Alan Pardew’s press conference on Thursday afternoon, which should be interesting, given it’s his first one since the shaming by Sunderland on Sunday.

If Rob is not fit then young Jak Alnwick will be on the bench at the Hawthorns, where the lads really have to win – if they are to start paying back the Newcastle fans for that terrible  humiliation against Sunderland.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Rob Elliot · Steve Harper · Tim Krul

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tinman - Catchy for Manager // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Anyone else think we should sign Usain Bolt? He is bored of sprinting and will be available on a free contract.

Agent fees shouldnt be too much because athletes get paid next to nothing anyway, he makes all his money in sponsors.

Dont think he would command high wages as he isn’t yet proven in the Premier League.

Think he would be an upgrade on Obertan.

Imagine the publicity for the club? It would put us on the map.

Also he is sponsored by Puma so I’m sure that could be used to our advantage in any deal.

Thoughts?

• 2 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM

• 3 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Repost

Evening ladies and gentlemen.

How are we all? Done a lot of thinking over the past few days and I think Pardew’s days are numbered, and if Ashley doesn’t have it in his mind to replace him, then he should do.

This isn’t because I think Pardew hasn’t done a good job, or has failed in his project, purely because he has now lost the majority of the fans, even those who once steadfastly defended him (like myself) are beginning to ponder life beyond him, in fact I am welcoming the prospect of a more astute attacking manager and think we should probably be looking to implement a manager of this ilk sooner rather than later.

I’m feeling very low as a NUFC supporter, as low as I’ve felt since NUFC supporter, I’m from Northern Ireland but contrary to what some people have alluded to earlier I bleed for this club as much as Geordies, and it hurt me to have it suggested that myself, and other non-Geordies do not feel for this club in the same way, because we do.

I think Pardew has done a decent job for what it’s worth, whether true luck or hard work he done what no NUFC manager had done for the best part of decade in bringing us to the EL and we performed quite well in it. He brought our highest PL finish since 2004 but that alone is not enough to ensure you have a job, and I will readily admit that even though we’ve been massacred with injuries, and had key men off form, there were games where Pardew did not set the team out with enough positivity to win, Reading, West Ham, Swansea at home to name a few. We scraped wins at home to Fulham and Stoke when we should have destroyed both teams.

I’m going to call a spade a spade, it’s just not been good enough. I am not calling for his head right now, and even if he started next season in charge I think I’d accept it, but as far as I am concerned, his days are numbered.

• 4 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Tinman

Usain might also be able to score from a corner being 6’6″.

We might have trouble with internationals as Jamaica is quite a distance.

• 5 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Ruddy…Not sure what to say to be honest. If faith is lost it is extremely hard to get back.

No doubt you have monitored the comments on here and will have seen whilst fighting his corner, I too am failing to argue why he should be given much longer to put things right.

For me, it still comes down to who we get in next, not when. I cannot accept change just for the sake of it and a lot of people believe Ashley will appoint someone better, that has to be seen before we’ll know whether it’s the right move.

All for upgrading, but it best be an upgrade.

• 6 Cisse's Big Toe- Not Quite As Anti Pardew As Beattie Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Kevy i find building up existing players as rewarding especially when their overalls are so low, 58 in this case

• 7 Novocastrian66 // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM

????

• 8 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM

is their a bookie giving odds for us going a season not scoring from a corner and what are the odd

• 9 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Ruddy

I agree. Pardew exceeded (even my low) expectations and for a moment, I thought he might win me over.

But a lot of fans looked on on Sunday a something clicked I think. We should never lose sight of the fact he did give 100%, something other managers we’ve had haven’t come close to offering, but the club needs a new direction.

Not just a new direction, a one direction. Harry Styles for manager.

• 10 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Ian

Indeed all our days our numbered, imagine we were told exactly what it was? But you do know how I intended that phrase you cheeky sod
    Repost from previous thread

Ibiza

Not for the first time I think we agree on where we’re coming from. I can use mitigating factors to explain certain results, but there have been games where he has shown where his priorities lie, admittedly I tried to defend him in these instances but it no longer sits well with me given the situation we find ourselves in.

It is a matter of who we bring in, will he sufficiently represent an upgrade, will he have PL/European League experience, will he provide the football we want, will he attract quality players.

If these questions aren’t answered properly, and the right manager is not available then let Pardew continue until the right manager is available.

It’s a case of “when” rather than “if” now though.

• 11 kevymartins // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

@Cisse’s big toe lol How long did it take? By the time you get him to wayne rooney status your 15 seasons will be up and fifa 14will be out.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM

ian

you said you wouldn’t go over old ground but then you trotted them all out again. You’re becoming as boring and predictable as watching this Pardew team.

Anita can’t get a game, Marveaux is often on the bench and we’ve never even seen Amaltifano who Carr deemed good enough!. Even Pardew’s star buy Obertan has been banished even though available.

Even all the lame excuses aside how do you account for the total surrender on Sunday because for me that was the lowest point.

One bad result last season against Wigan made him scrap a fantastic system he’d found only after Raylor had been inadvertently injured and Benny finally given a game.

We never went back to it and we’ve never looked the same ever since that wonderful 6 match run last season.
    Pardew could put a great team out on paper, certainly not one that loses 3-0 at home, but he’d choke off any creativity so no point in getting him any more better players as they go backwards under his tutelage.

Solskjaer could be an inspired choice as he really is a winner as a player and manager.

• 13 wreker16 // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Beattie changes his name his account name.

Big statement.

• 14 Tinman - Catchy for Manager // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Beattie, ah yes you raise a good point. He would be an asset on corners as well! Hopefully we can sort the work permit out.

Charlie, dont bother putting it on until after the summer in case Bolt comes.

• 15 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Ibiza

I’m as sceptical as the next man but Ashley post relegation has done nothing but upgrade (or try to) the things he’s let go off.

Whether its players, sponsorship deals or nufc related commercial ventures he has tried to improve things.

The problem is he sits on his hands too long and doesn’t upgrade immediately. Therefore I’d be worried he’d sack Pardew, not make a choice and say to beardlsey take over until January.

If he is going to upgrade it has to be with one manager having a foot in the door already and Pardew has to go a few days after the end of the season or not at all.

• 16 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Beattie

Personally I think I was swept in the hysteria of last season, finally I saw Newcastle in the upper echelons of the PL where I felt we belonged and I felt indebted to Pardew, so much so, that I would mitigate for his short comings. Perhaps I did this to a disparaging degree on those who I felt were bringing negativity to what should have been a positive time as NUFC fans.

You’re right though, Sunday made me analyse the season thoroughly, and while I appreciate the impact of injuries and out of form key men, I can’t reconcile those games where we should have hammered home our authority yet we failed to do so and gave teams too much respect on our home turf.

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Ruddy…I think another big factor is given the players we are still seemingly looking to buy expectations have risen considerably.

Can Pardew carry that? It doesn’t look too good. Do I still think he is a decent PL manager? Yes and I do think people are way over the top when critiquing him.

Oh well, still, the ball is in Ashleys court.

• 18 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM

@Rotonda heights
    I`d take Solskjaer over Blanc

• 19 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I’m going out to get bolt on the back of my shirt. What number though?

• 20 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Wait doesn’t Bolt advertise virgin media and aren’t we sponsored by virgin money till the end of the season?

Get Branson on the blower, Beattie wants a word.

• 21 Tinman - Catchy for Manager // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Beattie, 9.58

• 22 JackButler // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Our injury list is enough to bring tears to your eye’s

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Beattie…I know, but being honest, we all thought that before last summer and then Ashley knew best (admittedly I agreed with him at the time and thought we’d be okay).

It is a genuine concern as to what he will think is best, especially considering he doesn’t like to be challenged and most top managers shall we say, like to let people know what they think.

I don’t think there is one Newcastle fan though that would complain about getting a better manager if it happened. At least we’re pretty much 100% in agreed on that.

• 24 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Done!

If Bolt comes do we keep Pardew? Bolt would be able to chase down those aimless long balls.

• 25 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM

JB…It certainly is mate.

• 26 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM

JB

Especially the groin injuries.

• 27 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Wait I missed :)

• 28 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Ibiza

I think he has found his top level; over achieving with a mid table club.

However, we wish to move beyond being an overachieving mid table club into being a top half club with European ambitions and little, if nothing, I have seen from Pards this season has indicated he can manage these expectations.

Like I’ve said though, I am willing for him to be given the first half of next season to prove this definitively but if he is replaced in the summer (with a suitable upgrade) then I will thank him for his work and look to the future.

I haven’t put the defeat at Pardew’s door, the players are more susceptible to blame for their abject performance, but the defeat in itself has made me look at him much more closely.

• 29 Tinman - Catchy for Manager // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Beattie, I think it goes without saying that Williamson will be back in the starting line up regardless of manager. Hopefully we can hang onto Simpson as well since he weighs in with his fair share of long balls too.

Maybe we could nick Fat Sam from the Hammers?

• 30 BandB // Apr 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Ruddy,

As with Ibiza, I have to respond.
    See my response to Dok. I’m all for as many “Gentiles” on board as possibly. Faith is all that matters to me, and it doesn’t matter where you are from.
    I had a friend at university. A vicar’s son from leafy Somerset. Moved to Edinburgh and became involved in a load of historic sectarianism he knew precisely NOWT about. Anyone up here who has a job is likely to be facing their own gloating Mackem contingent at work. They are the lucky ones. No-one but knuckle-draggers and keyboard warriors want it to descend into violence.
    There’s a bunker mentality developing among some of the Ultras here. It makes it no fun to be around.

• 31 BandB // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM

A long time ago, in a previous life, I was head-butted by a “fan” outside St James’ Park.
    Me.
    I’d asked him a question, and he was offended I was “poking my nose” into “his” club.
    He split my eye open, and walked away with his mates, laughing. I’m sure I sound like an old fart sometimes. But you don’t forget those moments, or ever think they are “spot on.”

• 32 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

BandB

I know a thing or two about mindless sectarianism given where in the world I find myself in, so believe me I have no interest moving from one tribal country and partaking in the sectarianism of another.

Sunderland fans are football followers, just as we are. We both love our clubs, and I for one was always proud to say “no matter what happens in the derby, NUFC, and SAFC always leave it on the pitch”

I was ashamed on Sunday as I could no longer say that. The shame, disappointment, at such events may be felt more sharply by yourself as you have seen first hand the devastation it has on your home city, but I feel the same shame, disappointment and anger too.

No one is superior or inferior to each other. We may voice our opinions more vigorously, or word it in more flowery language, but such is the tapestry of humanity.

I, like you and every other poor blighter on this blog and the world round, love this football club dear

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM

BandB…Might be my paranoia sneaking in, but was the “spot on” quotation from me earlier when talking with WWYCD?

• 34 BandB // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Ibiza man…NOOOOOOO!
    Not you!

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

BandB…Thank goodness, I’ve tried to be on my best behaviour :)

This week is really getting to me it seems.

I should probably comment on the rest of your post, now I can let go of any building guilt.

Horrible tale. To be honest, I know violence happens all over the world, but it’s one of the things I love most about living here in Ibiza. Generally people are happy and do look out for each other, to a great extent you have to really watch what you say or even who you look at in the UK and that is no way to live your life. Real shame.

• 36 BandB // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Ruddy,

It hasn’t devastated the city. It’s just left our reputation in the toilet. And I hope the FA won’t punish everyone for the sake of a few. That’s what the courts are for.

• 37 BandB // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Ibiza…bloody hell, we talk a lot for mortal enemies :)
    Thanks, it was a literally scarring moment.

• 38 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

BandB…Well you know what they say, “keep your friends close…”

Only joking, I am enjoying our discussions, just wish the general themes could be a bit happier.

• 39 jimiley // Apr 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Charlie@8
    No team in the history of the top flight (going back over a hundred years) has failed to score from a corner. Ladbrokes were quoting 10,000 to 1 at the beginning of the season. It would be quite an achievement if we failed to score from a corner til the season’s end. Something for Mr Pardew to put on his CV. As long as we stay up I do not want us to score from a corner. You could tell your grand kids about it. 50 games and never scored from a corner. Its got to the stage where i groan when we get a corner. Rather have a throw in.

previous post: Restoring Geordie Pride – Easier Said Than Done