The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Whatever Happened To Cheick Tiote?

10:49 am, Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

When Cheick Tiote first signed for Newcastle back in the summer of 2010, after being scouted by Graham Carr for a number of years, he was an instant success, and in the following two January transfer windows, Chelsea made big bids to take the Ivorian to the top London club.

cheick tiote sunderland

Cheick Tiote – what happened?

One problem with Cheick was (is) his bad habit of picking up yellow cards,  and indeed he was sent off at Sunderland last year, but he didn’t receive a yellow card on Sunday, but he was also ineffective, after returning to the side after suffering an injury in training a couple of weeks ago.

This is what Cheick told the Evening Chronicle after the Sunderland disaster:

“It is the worst day for the club – for the players, for the fans and for everyone.” “It was difficult for us. We created some chances but we were missing spirit in the team.”

“We have had so many games.” “It is the first year we’ve played in the Europa League and the Premier League.” “Some players are tired and we didn’t have enough energy on the pitch.”

“I don’t think there is anything I can say to them that would make them happy.” “To lose 3-0 at home against Sunderland is the worst thing that can happen to them.”

“That is football, but now the game is finished and we have some important games coming up.” “On Saturday against West Brom that will be hard as well.”

“Now we need to win one or two games to stay in the Premier League.” “Everybody does. Not only the players, the manager as well, everyone.” “We’re never happy to lose any game, especially against Sunderland.”

“Yes. I am playing for Newcastle and to lose to Chelsea or Man United is disappointing. But not like losing to Sunderland. We missed some spirit.”

“We didn’t play badly, we created chances but we were missing some spark on the pitch.”

Maybe I’m the only one, but those words remind us eerily of what our players used to say after losing all the time during our relegation season.

We don’t know what’s happened to Cheick this season, but he’s not half the player he used to be, and it wouldn’t surprise us too much if he were to be sold in the summer,.

But that’s unlikely, since Alan Pardew seems to rate him so highly, although that cannot be based on  his performances this season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Injuries · Newcastle News

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 spitfire_ // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The same happend with Colo, Cabaye, Cisse, Santon… Pardew happend.

• 2 John Tudor // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

oh dear so many games im getting too tired well just naff off and be tired elsewhere along with the other tired shower and take pardew too

• 3 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Rainrix

The chants are part and parcel of football. We can’t sing about colo shagging my wife all the time.

I do think it is born out of respect for last season but I think those chants will dry up on reflection of this.

Is that fickle? I don’t believe so. I think it’s a desire to support a manager who many felt could bring something to the table and unfortunately hasn’t.

Many had excuses for the poor football matches of 2011-12 season but this year is the same football different results and that same football mentality, despite absolutely everything that has happened this season, is why we are where we are. We had teams beat more often than not and anti football came into the equation and now we are relying on other teams to get beat to stay up.

Yet this man may keep his job.

Pardew on a nutshell is Reading at home. Go for the kill rather than protect your 1-0 lead you moron.

• 4 Guj NUFC // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

It started after the AFCON 2012… :( never seen the transformation of a man that quickly!

• 5 Markaccus // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Beattie. We aren’t quite at the stage where we need other teams to lose. It is still in our hands at the moment. Ok there is only 5 points between us and the drop but there are also 5 other teams trying to survive below us. Some with hard run ins and none of them could claim to be any better than us (when we turn up that is).

• 6 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Does anyone remember the outcry last season when Pardew was defending leads in the first half rather than going for a win?

Wolves at home. 2-0 up, 18 minutes gone, sit back and defend!!

That is the man there for you. It’s not a bad thing to say ok I was wrong about my view on Pardew. It doesn’t make you less of a man to admit when you’re wrong. The proof is in the pudding.

Look at all the games this season and last and you’ll see something truly horrific. Some don’t want to see it though or really honestly can’t. Some see it but are afraid of what will happen if something is done about it.

Ashley has us by the balls and he is the one to blame in all of this but we are stuck with him, I don’t think we are stuck with Pardew.

• 7 WesJameson // Apr 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Miss you Sir Bobby :( NUFC makes me so depressed

We have had everything at this club, for many years now, to succeed BIG TIME, but it always comes down to shite managers, or corrupt owners

Why is there this curse on our beloved Football Club?

Please Jose Mourinho, you owe Bobby Robson your career, come save us PLEASE!!! You know you owe him Jose, you know it!!

• 8 spitfire_ // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Pardew’s quote from today paper

“Next year we have to prove that we’re a bigger and better club.”

So he firmly believe that he will be in Newcastle next season… what a muppet.

• 9 Rainrix // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Beattie… I wasnt sure that you were talking to me last topic there, autocorrect fail? :)

My point about the chants were it seems he gets the support of the fans during games but after the match it goes downhill. Obviously chants aren’t a good indicator of opinion as its a minority that actually sign nowadays which is a shame.

I think if it was me at a match and i was witnessing the football we’ve seen all season i doubt myself i would be chanting support for pardew maybe just a lot of come ons etc.

Like i said a few internet forums isnt really a good indicator though i imagine pardew isnt the most popular man atm for most fans

• 10 John Tudor // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++hes a nowhere man

• 11 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Markaccus

It is in our own hands but I don’t share the faith.

I think we’re relying on stoke to go down by losing more than us if I’m honest.

Look at our goal difference.

We’ve won one away all season and have 3 away games. Our 2 home games are against Liverpool and cha,pions league chasing arsenal.

We are hoping that stoke lose more, that’s the truth of it.

• 12 Rainrix // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

ibiza… Agree we did need to replace them although buying a leader is a complicated job really, you dont know how they’ll react to the squad or how the squad will react to them. It was probably best barton left but i still would’ve liked nolan here. Much rather have him in CM than tiote atm.

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Beattie…I think you’re fighting a battle on here which you’ve probably already won mate, with the exception of getting everyone to call for his head.

Almost everyone has said he is defensive.
    Almost everyone has said they would take a better, more experienced and attacking manager.

This isn’t a question of trying to save some pride on a blog or feeling “less of a man”, just perspective and solution – which will differ from fan to fan.

So guys, lets say Ashley doesn’t pull the trigger this summer as maybe he feels he hasn’t done his part to help matters? What do you do?

• 14 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Rainrix

I honestly think after this season when we reflect there will be a lot more wanting him out than we even realise.

It’s not just this season as I always say, it’s the football we turn up to watch.

Stoke fans accept it because its how it got them were they are and are better for it.

We are worse for it. Pure and simply. There isn’t one reason we should be using those tactics with our current squad. It doesn’t benefit us at all.

The only other team is west ham and mark my words, not only did they dislike Pardews tactics the majority hate Fat Sams and if they could get rid of him for better they would too.

• 15 Yorkgeordie // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I’ve thought for some time, Carr finds them, Pardew ruins them

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Rainrix…Easy enough in hindsight I suppose :)

It says a lot about our season when you think that we have also missed being able to call on players like Guthrie and Best.

• 17 Troy Stavers // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Moyes found himself in exactly the same position at Everton in his second season. From 5th to 17th and escaped relegation on the final day of the season.
    Now look at Everton.

Teams need developing, bonding and time to gel. You build a hardcore and replace the weak links and over TIME you have more chance of progression.

Pardew needs support for me and he will get it.

• 18 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Ibiza

Let me gloat about being right.

I’m an arrogant self righteous fool that likes the sound of his own mind.

Don’t take this moment of victory away from me please!!

• 19 Troy Stavers // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Tiote needs to go back to basics. Release the ball to the nearest player as soon as he wins it.

He tries to do too much and he is not capable.

• 20 Jackel001 // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Just dawned on me that the last time we got beat off the mackems, it was the season we went down..

I’m just praying for a performance at West Brom something for us to shout about!

• 21 daztoon // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

We got hammered at home from the Scum who hadn’t won in about 10 games so what chance have we got at west brom,Liverpool,west ham,Arsenal Jesus we only just manage to beat qpr at home so may struggle away with them too.
    We will stay up just then get rid of outdated Pardew completely and bring in Solskjaer and his coaching team and bring the team into the modern era

• 22 nufc 11 // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

tiote is in danger of becoming another wilson palacous he was going to go on and play for real or barca at one stage and cant get a game for stoke now, maybe giving tiote a 6year deal affected his progress like giving AP and 8 year one.

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Troy…I do agree with that. I also agree that a better coach could take us further. That isn’t to put Pardew down, more a fact of life.

Therefore, not just because of this season, but if Ashley were to look for a “better” manager, how would you feel?

• 24 Guj NUFC // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Wigan and West ham have Man City and Man United respectively tomorrow, that shouldn’t be a problem.
    Norwich vs Reading
    QPR vs Stoke
    Sunderland vs Everton
    West Ham vs Wigan all this saturday
    We could be 17th if we don’t pick up anything at the albion and all the teams around us win by monday…scary thought

• 25 Shane // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

You have to feel for the modern day footballer when they blame poor performances on playing too many football games in a season.

They all aspire to play in the Champions League and win trophies but it’s really hard for them to play all of them extra games.

When they jump in their super cars and drive back to their mansions they couldn’t care less about the result.

• 26 Rainrix // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Beattie… I do agree with you a bit. Defensive football though did work for us last year, it got us to 5th not the best strategy and not the best watch but it worked.

Now this season, at spurs we started the same and it worked but pardew has stuck with it when it hasnt worked all season. I would’ve expected him to change things up but he hasnt bar man u and arsenal and i honestly dont think he’ll change is mindset. I think thats were most of the frustrations come from

This season we have better players all round and i agree with you we shouldn’t be playing that way as we could achieve so much more with a different style.

• 27 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Tory

To counter act that, even in 17th Everton fans were seeing much better football with Moyes’s team than they had before in the PL. They sensed a change and realised it wasn’t the manager it was the lack of quality in the team and the following summer he upgraded his players and got the best out of them.

For us it’s the opposite. This time it’s the manager that’d the weak link and no change has been seen on the pitch despite having so much quality.

To draw a comparison between the 2 can not accurately convey any sense of similarity.

• 28 Hatem's better than Messi // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Yes Pardew happened …

Look at the five signings in Jan.
    They cam in like a breath of fresh air.
    Playing with freedom and style.

Now they play in Pardew’s “shape” … hope the loser is sacked in the summer.

• 29 stuart no9 // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM

i think that was a pre written script. the number of times he mentions ” sunderland ” seems to me he has been told to make a point on how important it was, after all the stick they got for their ” couldnt care” attitude.so for that , i think that statement is b////cks. also ” what happened to tiote”? sadly for tiote, he has had the misfortune to be managed by a man who would struggle in any team, in any league, on any continent in the world,and that is being nice to the man, coz hes not that good !

• 30 Rainrix // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Ibiza… Hindsight thats what we should call pardew always knows whats wrong after a match ;)

We have missed some of our fringe players, we should’ve really never gotten rid of them with europe coming up + the lack of summer signings but that was after we got rid of them i suppose.

• 31 Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Rainrix

I don’t think it worked last season.

If we had attacked more games wed have been 3rd or 4th. I thought last season was a failure considering where we were with a few games left.

It’s like on a quiz show where the contestant says ‘well I’ve already won a microwave and I’ve had a lovely time so I’m not too bothered about winning the £1 million.’

Bull shit, it was there for the taking!!

• 32 daztoon // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ibiza – isn’t Anita a replacement for Guthrie and if Pardew stays he has got to bring in a few modern day coaches and someone to work on fitness and proper warm ups to stop all these niggling groin and hamstring pulls.
    I think I read somewhere Speed never had a hamstring problem until he joined the toon

• 33 Rotonda heights // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

What finally did it for me with pardew was when we were comfortably leading bottom club reading at home 1-0 and he took off marveaux and put on perch I think. The whole momentum was surrendered and lost. Just one example but there are many.

• 34 tunearmy // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Last season he was great, this season he is a liability and I dread seeing him.
    He gives away dubious freekicks, appalling shots, looses possession, slowly jogs back, has passes intercepted or passes too hard that teammates have difficulty controlling.
    I know it’s ridiculous but part of me thinks he is taking big money or is being pressured to mess up.
    The difference is so dramatic what other explanation except that he wants away or the Pardew poison.

• 35 Troy Stavers // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Ibiza

I’ve discussed this many times in the past.

I don’t believe anyone wanted Pards from the outset including me. I don’t believe he’s a top manager.

He’s run of the mill BUT I have maintained that I don’t believe we can attract a top manager. You may see Martinez or Laudrup as top managers but I don’t. They’ve done well with their resources but Pards did wonders last season as well.

They are much of a muchness for me. Lets not forget we have the worst injury list of any team in the premier this season and we lost Ba. Its a major factor in our slump.

Top managers don’t like to balance the books and don’t like to work on a low basic salary enhanced by bonuses. Pards does and he’s the perfect foil for Ashley. So for those reasons I believe we should stick with Pardew and have stability.

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM

daz….I think Anita is a great replacement for Guthrie, however he would always need time to adapt and get used to the league. His skill is there to be seen, but he clearly hasn’t adjusted enough yet, whereas Guthrie was able to come in and do the job with some ease.

It’s somewhat wasted at this stage, but I do feel that Pardew can get more out of this team and a few key additions during the summer, but I also accept a better manager could to.

Either way, some back room staff changes are needed to deal with those constant issues you mention.

Rainrix… :) I’m sure he’d love that name. Actually a lot better than some of the other names he’s been called.

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Troy…I think we’re on the same page here.

Martinez doesn’t really impress me that much at all and I do believe Laudrup still has something to prove (however, he does seem to be a great manager in the making if I am honest).

• 38 Troy Stavers // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

@Beattie

It was only this season that Everton fans were clogging the phone lines of talksport radio screaming for Moyes’ sacking. This was following their defeat to Wigan in the cup.

Their main gripe sounded just like ours. Playing players out of position all the time, boring negative football and no idea about tactics.

You need to visit the other side and you’ll find the grass isn’t greener.

• 39 stuart no9 // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM

why cant we follow chelsea fans. make a point ( the chelsae way) in letting pardew know he is not welcome at our club any more. the chelsea fans do it relentlesly every week , and hes not doing to bad.- imagine pardew in charhe of – chelsea- man u – liverpool , he wouldnt be there by 5 mins , those fans would have him out before he f…cked their club up, and why? because they care, – i really think , most newcastle fans are quite happy to meet up with their mates on a saturday . have a few ,- go to the game, win or lose- it dosnt matter, at least theyve had a good day out, maybe that is why we havnt won anything for 55 years, we dont voice our opinion s as much as we should. all the big clubs are gutted when they havnt won a cup in 2 years , we give our support to a manager who is totally – totally fu///cking useless,- so maybe we are to blame as well.

• 40 oldbobaycliffe // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM

tiote seems to be carrying too much weight he seems to be a lot beefier than when he joined us when good joined bradford on loan their manager said he wasn,t up to thier fitness standard so had to get fit before he could play for them

• 41 Troy Stavers // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

@stuart

Howay man. Talk sense. You really suggesting we don’t oust managers???

Ask Souness, Fat Sam or Gullit to name but a few.

You must be young are you?

• 42 Greebol1892 // Apr 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I do recall we had a fairly settled 1st team last season – i.e. the back 4 playing together regularly. Definitely nowhere near as many injuries as this term!!
    Agree with Troy RE: Tiote. He is a ball winner not a creator so why keep giving him the ball so much? Just tell him to tackle & lay it off. In my opinion we can’t carry anyone at this stage – we need attitude & fight, eg. Perch!

• 43 toonbrother // Apr 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Yeah its all his fault. I suppose it was his fault when we conceded 4 at man city the other day too. What happened to Williamson, Santon, Cabaye, Jonas, Colocinni and all the other top performers last season? Very silly article if you ask me. Players are not to blame. The manager is!

• 44 nufcusa // Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Tiote has been poor by his expected standards but the guy has hardly had a rest in 3 years. If anyone can claim tiredness it is cheick.

• 45 smoke beer, drink tabs // Apr 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM

@44
    Tiote hasnt had a rest for 3 years? He is f@cking suspended 3 times a season man!
    His poor form is down to him being found out as being sh1te when he has the ball, put him under pressure and he doesnt know what to do.
    Midfield smashers are no longer effective in the modern game.

• 46 hugenufcfan // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

The curious case cheick tiote :)

• 47 benjohnsen // Apr 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM

When you go in and out with injuries like Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Santon and Saylor have done through this season, it’s hard to come in top form. That counts for all sport. Consistency is a very important aspect of how well a team like Newcastle will do in the league.

Last year Newcastle started their campaign with fielding their same starting XI in 10? games in row. We struggled as soon as we got injuries, then in the spring we got a great form of run with starting the same XI game after game. It’s all about consistency.

The squad was already small last year, but at least the players coming of the bench knew their roles. This year has been a complete chaos with injuries, a lot of new players mid season. I don’t think we have had the same starting XI in more than two games in a row. That sums it up for me. Pardew is to blame for not putting together a team with more Newcastle experience.

previous post: Fan Support Still The Best – If Not The Team