Two New French Players Doing Good Work In The Community

Newcastle players Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Massadio Haidara both participated in workshops for some local youngsters yesterday afternoon, that were aimed at wiping out racism in the community.

haisra and Ynag-Mbiwa

Haidara and Yanga-Mbiwa in workshops yesterday

Both players are new to the club, since joining in late January, and they participated with education workers and coaches from Show Racism the Red Card at St. James’ Park yesterday afternoon.

Two schools participated in the workshops – Stanhope Primary School, in South Tyneside, and Kells Lane Primary School, in Gateshead – and pupils from the schools asked questions of the players.

Also involved were former players John Anderson, Olivier Bernard, Gary Bennett, Dean Gordon, Trevor Benjamin and Richard Offiong, and they are all involved with the good work carried out by the Show Racism the Red Card organization.

The pupils had to report as journalists for the day on issues related to anti-racism, and they took notes, as they asked questions and discussed the topics during the workshops.

Show Racism the Red Card education worker Laura Pidcock had this to say:

“It was a fantastic opportunity for the students to be involved in.” “Not only did they attend a packed day of informative and very important workshops but they will also engaged in a task that saw them become responsible, young journalists, really researching the issues of racism before, throughout the event and afterwards.”

Lizz Bennett, also part of Show Racism the Red card added:

“Their day helped assist them in their journey of preparing to become active citizens in an increasingly multi-cultural society.” “It is important to empower young people to challenge racism by providing them with the right knowledge and the ability to critically think about information they see or hear around them.”

The players and coaches at Newcastle do a lot of work for charities, and much of it goes unreported, but they do a great deal of good for the local community.

And to have the pupils involved at an early age, where they can understand the ant-racism challenges to society – seems a really good idea.

The two Frenchmen at Newcastle have lost no time in getting involved in the community, and we know Massadio, as one example,  has already met with other pupils in the short time he’s been at Newcastle.

Both Haidara and Yanga-Mbiwa could be lining up in the back four, when Newcastle take on West Brom at the Hawthorns on Saturday, which is turning out to be a pivotal game for the Magpies, after our sobering and humiliating loss to Sunderland last time out.

Since arriving at Newcastle in late January, Mapou has played 15 times for the Magpies and 20 year-old Massadio has played 6 times.

Let’s hope we can get the win on Saturday – but ti’s going to be tough.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Knowledge is power. Good stuff.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

This is something the majority of pro’s do…it’s great to see our new boys doing it as well.

The press usually prefer to ignore this though and focus on the negatives.

• DokToon

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

if only it will take root… can hope and pray…

• ErnestHemingway

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Sorry about that, my HTC messed up. Useless things HTC’s.

Anyways, what I was saying is that I agree we need a number two who is a bit more technical than Carver. Whoever on here who said that Carver was coaching kids not too long ago is speaking the truth. My friend was coached by him when he was about 7 or 8 (he is 31 now) and Carver was apparently really, really hard with the kids and really put them through their paces until they could hardly stand up, so I would presume he is even tougher with fully fledged professionals.

I think a foreign number two who can work alongside Pardew is the answer.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Ernest…I think a continental styled assistant would be the first step. No major upheaval and a chance for Pardew, who even though has his critics and perhaps rightly so, last year and this year could cancel each other out…being reasonable.

• sean667

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM

im out catch you guys laters

• ErnestHemingway

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Ibiza….I agree with that. I just feel that the shortcomings are more to do with the coaching staff rather than the manager, in my opinion. I can’t see any of our current coaching staff being particularly innovative or modern in their coaching methods.

• ichrisho

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Me too – Catch ye tomorrow dudes.

• JAMSHA

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Ibizatoon

Most probly sept 25th it will release

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Ernest,
    That will have been me, I’m a wee bit older then your friend, but he coached me from 13-16. I’m not sure he was ever too hard and ran the legs off me, but then I was pretty fit back before I discovered a liking for real ale and whisky.

I’ve said this a number of times since first posting, the coaching at this club has been sub standard for years. The last player to show significant improvement since joining? I’m struggling to think of any. We have halted the progress of many a player who has joined us, not to mention stifling the few real talents that were at youth level at the club who failed to ever breakthrough.

That isn’t a slight at Pardew though, the problem was around long before he arrived. I don’t think he chose Carver or Stone, and I doubt Beardsley either, they were put upon him by the club. Whether he would have chosen better/different is another matter.

If there is a better man available, and willing to work to the same renumeration structure, and targets then I say go for it. But it could also be a case of better the devil you know. I have seen so few sensible replacement suggestions. Solskjaer, maybe, Rudi Garcia, interesting option, Laurent Blanc, not convinced that he would come, on terms above. But other than that, who is there.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Repost

Ibiza

Sorry lad, was dragged away there unfortunately, I will respond both here and the other thread that I see has cropped up haha

First off, I agree that this is an absolutely essential game but I feel that a 50/50 “keep it tight and hope to hit them on the break” approach is no longer good enough.

We do that at home, we do that away from home and I am bloody tired of it. WBA have 8th place effectively sown up, they have nothing to play for, we have to fight for our lives, so let’s go out and give and blood and thunder display, rattle them to the high heavens in the first 20 with a display of ruthless intensity, unleash Goofy and HBA down the wings, Marv in the number 10, with Cabs and Sissoko in behind them.

I’d prefer Cabs further forward but with Sissoko driving at the West Brom midfield, Cabs picking cross field beauties and Cisse getting proper service we should put them away.

Back 4 of Debuchy, Taylor, Mbiwa and Haidara should be comfortable enough, providing good attacking width from the full backs as well as solid defensive work.

And finally, we should see a display of some heart, they need to repay us and I know they feel the same. If I don’t see those XI players fight and bloody die on that field on Saturday I will be up in arms.

Time for excuses is over!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Ha, just noticed Trevor Benjamin in that article. What an awful excuse of a footballer. I have played with him a number of times and I think as a 4 year old I had a better touch. The definition of mercenary aswell, he once told me that he would only get himself properly fit when his contract was running out so he would either get a new contract, or could have a successful trial at a new club. Amassed a fortune of near £10million doing it as well.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

ibiza

I think it depends how ruthless you are really how you approach the pardew issue. I’ve always believed if you go through the right process when hiring somebody you get a person you want to work with.

If that’s the case (as should be for managing jobs) then to save you money firing/hiring again you should, if you believed in them when hiring, is to make sure you give them every chance to succeed if they are willing to take help.

If pardew is willing to take criticism and help (not sure who off as llambias and ashley aren’t football people, not like a director of football at barca etc. then he should stay and have some help to improve and be set goals, and given the tools and help he needs to achieve them.

If he won’t take this help, or shows no progress with it then sack him.

But you could save time and just get rid and bring in a ready made manager in….depends on how quick you want the success and if you truly have faith in the manager.

• woolerbill

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Good to see the players getting involved with the schools, butt at time desperate time we need them to keep there minds on training. There is a time and place to go to schools, this is not it.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM

lilongwe

it’s bizarre how as a club we always have injury problems and we always have a poor youth set up yet we have had a lot of managers and a fair few owners too.

they all somehow make the same mistakes with training at all levels.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM

wooler

players only train 2-4 hours a day…plenty time for them to still do this stuff.

• ErnestHemingway

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Lilongwe

Yeah, I don’t see there being any real alternatives to Pardew. If he were to leave and we were to bring in a better manager than him, an upgrade if you like, then I would be all for it. But the names suggested I don’t see as being better. Garcia, I’m not sure about that at all. Remember Jacques Santini at Spurs? He was a highly thought of French manager and failed massively in England. Solksjaer? That is a major, major gamble. Even by Ashleys standards and he loves a flutter.

I don’t think the system we have is broken, it just needs tweaking. And for me the tweaking that is needed isn’t the manager or head coach, it’s the coaches behind the scenes who spend more time with the players on the training field.

Ruddy

That is a very strong team you have suggested and I’m certain that if you asked Pardew what his stongest team is, it would be very close to that. But when has he had a chance to field a similar starting XI to that, when everyone is fully fit are available? Hardly ever. Which is why I think it’s imperative he is given more time.

• Toon-Prodigy

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Good afternoon lads,

I have to agree with this rise in expectations, last season was brilliant. No one can deny that fact. You cannot deride from the fact that this club did exceptionally well from the coaching staff to the players on the park. Everyone deserves huge credit for their efforts.

Im a little miffed with the assumption that the football was not very entertaining? No team has the divine right to be dominating every game of the season 100% of the time, especially not one in their second season back in the Premier league with a new manager and personnel. There was a mixture of results, exciting football, results that were grinded out, exciting attacking displays. Great moments of brilliance. Picking at the quality of football under the circumstances is very harsh in my own personal opinion.

This club has seen a huge change over the last number of years and has overseen alot of problems from board room level to changing coaches. In my opinion we have progressed every year from upstairs to coaching and players and as a fan that is all I want and expect. This season has been poor but through my eyes there are a number of very viable reasons why we have been so poor and havn’t set the place alight in regards to the football. I don’t need instant attempts at fixes or anymore risk taking. I want stability as that is what this club has been crying out for so long.

I have to agree, I also think expectations have risen so greatly, it’s beyond what we are actually capable of achieving right now as a football club. This is only our 3rd season back, we have brought in some good players and we are building, and continuing to grow. Aslong as mistakes are learnt from im happy.

One day Pardew might have taken this club as far as he can and that’s fine. No problem, thankyou, goodbye Alan.

One day an option may arise where he can be upgraded, again, no problem, thankyou very much Alan.

We will know by Christmas if he is the man for the job. I’v got no problems waiting until then to see what he is made of without the shocking problems this season has brought us to date. Personally, I think he will surprise a few people. But hey, you know in football.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

i think there are plenty of better options and realistic targets too. Same as scouting a player, sure we could scout a good manager.

• Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Ernest

How can someone so intelligent be so blind?

How can the manager escape any blame and yet the coaches be highlighted?

My god man. It’s good to see Ibiza has a new friend who thinks similar to him but even Ibiza wouldn’t be so negligent to absolve the manager.

It the manager who has to be good enough to spread a footballing ethos throughout the club. If that manager needs assistance in such things then it helps if he humble enough to accept it.

After your previous quotes I doubt you’ve been to a match.

The only games that were buzzing last year were the ones that are usuall buzzing.

Were you on against Wolves, Norwich, Villa, Bolton etc…?

Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees.

Nice to have intelligent new posters and I welcome thee with open arms but be a little more rounded with your arguments rather than what I perceive to be the nonsensical ramblings of a man wanting to wash Pardew in the holy waters of denial.

Even I, someone who hates Pardew, can hold up my hands and say ‘it isn’t all him’. Maybe he isn’t getting the support or advice from the coaches, maybe he is and he’s ignoring it. That is up for debate. What isn’t is the fact that his team choices and tactics have been nothing short of awful this season. That’s his responsibility and what makes him accountable.

Last season was amongst the worst footballing displays of any nufc team in the PL. What helped fans overcome this was the results. Pure and simply. Even Ibiza will admit to saying along the lines of ‘not happy with some of the football but its a results business’.

Once you haven’t got results what have you got? Performances. And they have been awful in this season and last.

Ibiza might seem to think that the 2 seasons cancel each other out. Fair do’s, that a perception of admitting Pardews shortcomings and hoping he’ll get it right.

Unlike him I submit that last season was great but could’ve easily been awful. That alone shows that Pardew was out his depth last season and even more so this. In personel we have marched forward, in footballing style we have slumped back.

Stop looking at things with rose tinted spectacles and open your eyes to both side of the argument. Don’t leave it to me to tell you how to live your life, you won’t respect me for posting this anyway. But please don’t be so small minded to highlight every issue and say ‘shortcomings are more to do with coaching than management’ in order to back up your idea that the stadiums were electric, the football was good and that this season isn’t a big disaster.

Who coaches the coaches?

Cue onslaught of self righteous people aiming verbal abuse my way for trying to stop people having an opinion different to my own.

To that I say, all opinions are valid, but people must see both sides of argument to give their opinions weight. Or else your just extremists.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Ernest

I’m on the “give Pardew more time” train, I’ve been aboard it for many a moon, as many can attest to. I’m speaking about the players, it is the players who need to get their gaffer out of the mire by performing near their capabilities.

It wasn’t Pardew’s fault that his players gave him no heart on Sunday. It was a gutless display, one that I was ashamed of, and it was down to the players. If I see a sniff of that kind of display again this season I will be incredibly peeved, purely because we now have a stronger team than we’ve been able to field (bar the injury to Krul) and yet they still served up rubbish! It defies belief.

I know there are mitigating circumstances, I would not be adverse to Pardew starting next season in charge but he has until Christmas in my estimations. If he starts next season and it isn’t right by Christmas in terms of performances, in terms of attacking intent or results then my patience will have worn thin, and this is coming from someone who has backed him since his arrival.

It’s time to put or shut up now though, does he have the mettle to go for 5 wins and finish the season on a high? Or will he try and sneak through and hope he keeps his job? Stick or twist Alan.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Sorry, have had to turn my attention to other matters for a bit.

Catch up with you all later.

P.S. Don’t really have anything to do, just sulking cause Ruddy made me wait 😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

TS,
    When FatSam first arrived, he brought in Steve Round as an assistant. That boy is one of the finest English coaches in the game. He left us to go to Everton saying (paraphrase) his footballing philosophy didn’t match Allardyce’s style.To me, it is no coincidence he has been involved in turning Everton into a good footballing side. He joined them after Moyes had taken them from 5th to 17th, from a team launching it long in Moyes first few years to where they are now.

If anything that is an excellent precedent for the views of those who want a better coach brought under Pardew, better than saying look what Laudrup did.

As for over the years, we have had so many traditional British, they don’t like it up ’em managers, that they have brought their own coaching staff with those views. Therefore we haven’t had a chance to develop a passing style through the club. The other problem being a lack of willingness to loan young players at the right age, rather than waiting till 21 has been a huge problem. i’ve said before I had a few League 1 clubs wanting Newton on loan back when I did some scouting and we were in the Championship, but the club point blank refused to let players go. Baffling.

As for injuries, there were all sorts of rumours, personally I blame the conditioning coaching at the club.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

prodigy

It’s a situation where we have no idea until it happens, we just need to wait really.

if he goes now people will say he could have turned it around, if he stays and fails people will say he should have gone ages ago.

only good scenario is he stays and does well.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Ah, Ernest, this is Beattie, Beattie this is Ernest. Now I’m just going next door, play nicely until I get back, okay?

Good lads 🙂

Byyyyeeeee.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Beattie

At the risk of sounding like someone who has turned on my previous beliefs and being disingenuous I must say that I find your analysis on both this season and this to be right on the money.

I was with Ibiza with regards last season, on the whole we didn’t dominate, we didn’t play slick football apart from the 6/7 game stretch we went on from late January to mid March where we put teams away with gusto, but due to the fact that the results were so good, we ran with the positive vibe that such results create because it had been so long since we’d been able to enjoy such on field success and personally I thought we might not have it as good again, it would seem my fears were founded on the basis of this season.

Would you be willing to say that among those labelled as pro-Pardew and anti-Pardew would agree that Christmas of this year is a fair deadline. There has to be a time where we stop saying “he needs more time” surely?

• ErnestHemingway

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Toon Prodigy….I agree with that post. I think it is massively unrealistic to sign 5 foreign players mid-season, most of them very young and learning their trade, thrust them into the midst of a relegation battle and expect to see the best of them and for the manager to get the best from them. These things take time.

• Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Holy mother of God.

I’m sorry and I know I go off on my angry tangents too often and people’s opinions wind me up when they shouldn’t and I honestly a, respectful of them but to say that last seasons football was good or exciting is ludicrous.

I’ll submit for patches we were good. 45 minutes at WBA being my own personal highlight, but come on. What standards of football do you have to say that was good?

Have you guys ever seen anything other than Souness onwards? Do you guys actually watch anything other than Newcastle United? Do you guys have such low expectations of our team?

I can argue with somebody all day if they give examples to showcase their opinions and they say ‘this is why I think this’ otherwise it’s just emotionless words written down to back up someone you think is right.

I.E.

Did anyone see QI last night?

Yeah It was great, so informative. (Well I didn’t watch it really but I have seen a few episodes before so I know what it is. I agree that it must have been good if he is talking about it, so ill agree so that he speaks to me.).

• spitfire_

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Poor Raylor… and what a luck…

• santonthenewmaldini

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I am still on the fence with the whole Pardew situation this season has been frustrating and so many bad things have affected the club such as the Colo and Ba situations I imagine that took its toll

I also think the shirt has became a bit too big for some of the players since last year as our expectations have grown dramatically since last season players who were solid last year such as Tiote, Williamson and Jonas have struggled with the weight of expectation and also the demand for better quality football the 3 i mentioned give it 100% on the pitch and battle away but they are not top level ball players in fact they are not even mediocre ball players

Even though we have played a lot of longball I think over the season we are trying to implement a better passing style but some of our players are not capable and when results have went against us they have cracked under the pressure and just pass it back to the defender who launches it = the easy way out Tiote and Jonas are 2 of the worst culprits for passing it back when under pressure

Add in Krul’s poor kicking and its no wonder we have struggled to get to grips with it

Pardew has a weird track record but you look at Southampton they have some lovely youngsters strutting their stuff playing good football and they were all scouted/given their chance by Pardew he may not have finished the job but he certainly got the ball rolling

We have signed some good players recently Carr does get a lot of credit but everyone of those players has had to meet Pardew to talk about the team before signing the contract so he must have something either that or he is a very very good salesman!!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Ernest,

Solskjaer is a huge gamble for any club. It is a case of stick or twist and while Ashley does like a flutter this isn’t a recreational activity for him, this is his business and because of that he will want enough knowledge to make an informed decision. I believe that now his closest football confidante is Graham Carr. The way some of our players have performed recently is potentially damaging to his glowing reputation as super scout. Will Carr want to see someone get the most out of these players he has diligently tracked? I would think so. Does that mean new manager/coaching staff? Who knows, I’m of the opinion coaching throughout the club HAS to change from kids through to 1st team. Can Pards adapt to a style he has never played? Maybe, look at my post prior mentioning Steve Round/David Moyes. Whatever he does, and whoever is in charge next year has my continued support until they areno longer here.

• Beattie25 - Anti Pardew Crew

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Ruddy

You have never turned on your beliefs. You never said the football was good. Never said Pardew was definitely the man. Never backed anything. You and Ibiza both.

You both campaigned to allow him more time to stamp his approval on the team whilst trying to teach patience to those more, shall we say, explosive with their personalities. You offered optimism Orr negativity and held judgement.

Others may say ‘oh that’s fence sitting’. No it isn’t its patience which is a virtue. That is something I wish I had. To stand back and watch things unfold and make a well rounded opinion before jumping in there.

My opinion was based on Pardew before nufc. You had the decency to say ‘different set of circumstances’ ill give him a chance to impress me. I was too far gone to even do that.

In debating terms I wish I was more like you and Ibiza and Torq and Sage and everyone else I’ve had a go at or said ‘look guys see it this way’.

This isn’t me sucking up, just being honest.

• Ben_BKK

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Ryan Taylor’s done his cruciate again. Typical 🙁

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Beattie

I think last years football was poor the majority of games but it was exciting. Not out play but the game as a whole, not knowing if you would win, hoping krul could turn that 90th minute shot over the bar…very exciting I thought.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather be excited by us bagging a few goals and putting some nice moves together but last year wasn’t dull, it was entertaining even if for the ‘wrong reasons’

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

TS,
    Can managers be scouted? I don’t see why not, it would mean Carr on the case taking him away from the playing side. However, how many of these scouted gems have we seen the report say Newcastle and Carr have been watching him for 2/3 years. Can we wait that long for a manager, or had the process already started?

You say there are lots of realistic options, I’m sure there are, but I struggle to think of many. Matthaus would be an option for me, but I don’t know if he plays attacking football. My issue here is he has quit a lot of jobs, but also won 2 titles in Serbia and Austria.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Beattie

You may offend some but I think people are too easily offended.

Nothing you say is wrong, the conclusions you draw may be different to what I draw but the evidence put forward is the same, just each person ha different tolerance levels and expectations as well as alternative views on how to fix a problem.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

The discussion about the coaches being lacking may be relevant However, I was trying to recall the name of the person who does the defensive coaching, just cannot remember his name.
    MMMmmm……………………………
    PPP………… Paaaaarrrr………..
    Parddddd…………………………

I might remember it later on.

• Rainrix

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Bloody hell cant believe whats happened to taylor what a kick in the teeth. I’ll be amazed if he ever plays again he’ll need some fight and determination to get anywhere near fit again 🙁

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM

lilongwe

I dont watch enough world football to know all possible manages but i’m sure throughout all the european and world leagues there must be a lot of good options.

Maybe carr has already identified which clubs/managers play in order to scout their players to suit our lot we have brought in. So there will be some ground work done already.

• ErnestHemingway

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I can’t agree that last season wasn’t exciting. That is just ludicrous to me. Some of the worst PL performances? Are you forgetting the miserable antics of Souness? Dalglish playing two defensive midfielders at home to the likes of Charlton? Some of the weak, insipid displays under Gullit? The relegation season? That is a mental comment Beattie and you can’t seriously mean that.

I was at every home game last year, sitting in my usual seat in the Gallowgate. The atmosphere is always fantastic up there. I agree other parts of the ground are crap and until i sat near the back of the Gallowgate I had no idea how rowdy it was up there, as I used to sit in the Milburn Stand and you can’t really hear the noise made from the lunatics who sit behind the goal. There was never a bad atmosphere up there, to be honest. This season is the same, so if you sit/have sat in other parts of the ground then thats up to you. Get yourself in the Gallowgate, man!

Looking through last seasons results from last season at home and remembering the games, I think only Wigan at home was a game where we played poorly, but we still won. Swansea came and parked the bus and we couldn’t break them down. It happens. Other than that, us fans got great value for money, so no complaints from me.

1 2 3 7