The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley Now Worth £2.3B

1:03 am, Friday, April 19th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 69 Comments

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has added £550M to his wealth over the last year, and he is now worth £2.3B, according to the annual Sunday Times Rich List, which will be published this Sunday.

mike ashley 987

Mike Ashley – now worth £2.3B

Mike continues to be the richest man in the North-East, and of course his company Sports Direct, has been returning record profits over the last year, and he has profited from the increase in the shares of the company.

Another north-east football man on the list in the north-east is Middlesbrough Chairman Steve Gibson, whose personal wealth has fallen £20M, and Steve is now worth (only) £145M. Steve owns his own transport business.

But since that time Newcastle have been put on an excellent financial footing, and we did very well last season to finish 5th in the Premier League, the highest position since the great Bobby Robson was manager back in 2004.

But this season, due in large part to not having a big enough or good enough squad, and playing 14 extra games in Europe, Newcastle have struggled in the Premier League, but reached the quarter finals of the Europa League for the first time since 2005.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

============================================

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Other News

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mark the Mag // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM

All that money and he can’t afford a personal trainer fat b@#$ard, get your hand in your pocket get us some players or leave our club alone u cockney sc#um bag

• 2 Beattie25 // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Here is a new Pardew quote that you all might like. I’ll post it and allow you to discuss.

Pardew was asked if he had enough up front and that it was possible to substitute Papiss if Cisse was having an off game:

“Of course it is possible to substitute Papiss.

I have got Shola and Adam Campbell breathing down his neck, that is the competition he has with Hatem coming back.”

Deluded or what??

• 3 p // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

That’s a bit strong Mark. I think you need to talk through your anger with someone. A whore for example.

• 4 Beattie25 // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Also this is Pardew after being asked about finishing above Sunderland:

“Next year we have to prove that we’re a bigger and better club.

That is in terms of our Premier League position by finishing well above them (Sunderland).

That is what we we are going to try and do next year.”

So the target for next season is to finish above Sunderland.

Brilliant! Is he not thinking we can do it this? Is that considered an achievement now?

• 5 p // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I disagree with Ed, I think the team as just had a bad season. Some factors have contributed but the form and tactics have been crap. With Hatem to bail us out of jail.

• 6 Beattie25 // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Also here is a comment from Pardew from recently:

‘We’re going all out to win the Europa League’

We didn’t so in the press conference before Sunderland he said:

‘Let’s target 10th place’

After the Sunderland defeat he said:

‘We’ll try to finish above them next season.’

WOW

• 7 Mark the Mag // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:25 AM

He is using our club and ground/home as his cheap advertisement, can’t wait to see a crow bar pull sports dir#$t signs off our ground our home our temple just like he did to our st James park signs. He has humiliated us and treat us like dirt and we have done nothing about it. Spent net 3 mill in summer and only spent in Jan to try and stop relegation. This guy is a lowlife, cheap filth just lk his company, can’t wait to see the back off the evil fat bas#f@d.

• 8 Beattie25 // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Spent the least in the PL and even came close to the bottom of the championship list of spending.

Don’t be fooled by the jan window as he got 3 of the 5 on cheap deals also. We didn’t exactly spend a fortune.

Again he spent as little as he could to try and secure top flight football.

• 9 Mark the Mag // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM

P
    I need a ho, al go and see ashleys wife then,
    Beattie
    Fully behind u now now m8, am sick of these chancers at our club, read ur posts for ages just starting to understand u have been right all along
    Beattie for next Toon manager, u heard it here first

• 10 Beattie25 // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Mark

Yes! Support me and ill bring you glory.

We’re going to win the league, were going to win the league, so now you’re gonna believe us…

• 11 Mark the Mag // Apr 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Beattie is the man to lead us to glory, this man has been persistent, his passion has shone through in the end, u lead the way m8.
    Were going to we us, were going to win the league ! Never sang that since kk,

• 12 chris_g // Apr 19, 2013 at 5:05 AM

“Forbes magazine will report on 9th May that Newcastle United are now are the 20th most valuable club in the world, and are valued at £172M, which is up 9% year over year.”

When I first read that I thought it meant that the value of the club had been increasing by an average of 9% a year over a number of years, which sounded pretty good. Then I realised that when Ed wrote “year over year” he simply meant the value now compared to the value at the same time last year, and when I looked at the figures a bit more closely things started to look much worse.

When Ashley bought the club in 2007, NUFC was ranked 13th, and valued (in US Dollars) at $260M. The latest figures are showing a value of $263M (approx £172M) which means that there’s only been a 1% increase in value over the last 6 years! That’s pretty awful when you compare it to the other PL clubs in the rich list. During the same period the value of a couple of those clubs (Man U and Spurs) more than doubled and, in the case of Man C, more than tripled.

If anyone’s interested, these are the figures I dug out, showing current US dollar values compared to the 2007 values (in brackets):

Man U 3165 (1453) + 218%
    Arsenal 1326 (915) + 145%
    Chelsea 901 (537) + 168%
    Man C 689 (208) + 331%
    Liverpool 651 (454) + 143%
    Spurs 520 (243) + 214%
    NUFC 263 (260) :(

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

• 13 p // Apr 19, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Well those figures have a story behind them – people have been pumping money into those clubs so of course they are worth more. Even arsenal have been funded by man city via overinflated transfer fees.

Which offered the best return on investments, that would be a more accurate picture and i am talking financially not on the pitch though the 2 are linked.

• 14 jimmysmith // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Little wonder Mike is so indifferent to our fortunes. We’re only worth 170 mill.

Chump change!

• 15 cyprus // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM

On MA getting richer: The richer he gets the happier we should be.
    On some of the spiteful posts above. Best answer at #3.
    On Beattie quotes: he’s said worse (e.g. we must educate the fans), and better (…). I’ve challenged his tactical know how quite a few times, but, his celebration vs Fulham gave him till the end of the season for me :)
    On Jonas comments: I think he feels the pain, why not believe him. btw, we need a lot of work to avoid that relegation. Knowing NUFC, we’ll be in danger till the last game, a 94′ goal by Cisse will save us! Pathetic hand written signs (‘we are staying up’) will be shown in the highlights ad nauseum.

• 16 cyprus // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I can’t be sure, but I disagree that he’s indifferent to our fortunes. NUFC fans pushed him (emotionally) away. They couldn’t stand a southern billionaire mingling among them, drinking pints and wearing an NUFC shirt. In cold calculating terms, they made a mistake, they forced him to distance himself.

• 17 89Norcal // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I bought the Forbes Billionaires edition from last month and couldn’t pinpoint Mashley among the few hundred names, nor Trump.

This is good news because now he’ll invest more into the club, right? :)

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Chris_g
    The other thing is none of those clubs suffered a relegation. To have done that, and not had serious money pumped in is a huge achievement.

Yes, Ashley hasn’t spent fortunes, but by god the players we have now are much better, so where is the problem their?

Let’s spend 20million on a centre forward, because, even if he turns out rubbish, at least our owner proved he cared about the club spending that cash. In hindsight, we should have matched Liverpool for Henderson, then at least Ashley would show ambition.

Utter tosh.

• 19 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM

norcal

purely depends if its real money he has increased or if its value in his company. If its just value in the company he hasn’t got that money unless he sells bits of it again.

Either way i don’t think effects us, he is trying to make us self sufficient so we don’t rely on his money. But if he has extra he might be tempted to use it to get himself a shiny new player to watch haha.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM

lilongwe

I don’t care who we sign as long as they are good. To us fans money shouldn’t matter. Whether the forward costs 1mil or 50mil i don’t care as long as he gets goals.

• 21 jimmysmith // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I actually don’t think he’s indifferent. I do think he’s incredibly penny wise when it comes to the Toon though.

Seems a little odd in a billionaire football club owner.

You can’t take with you, you know pal.

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Transfer,
    Exactly my point.

• 23 Patoon // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Just hope he invests in a new manager as soon as the final game is played this season

• 24 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM

lilongwe

Yep. Money is something us as fans shouldn’t worry. Liverpool spent 20ish on suarez and 35 on carroll…i know which they prefer to see.

Same with us….we have some great bargains, for world class, ready made you need big money but if you buy somebody who has potential and on fringes of big things you can save money. Might lose out sometimes asthey dont kick on as thought, but it’s a worthwhile gamble.

• 25 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Morning chaps…

Mike….Lend us a tenner pal?

• 26 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM

ibiza

morning. Looking forward to the game this weekend?

I am, fancy our 2nd away win.

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Transfer…Good morning and I will dive very quickly into last night – great diplomacy shown by you, I am clearing a little perch upon my fence to which you are always welcome :)

As always with this love affair, yes, I am once again looking forward to the game. Even if my head thinks we’ll lose a game, it’s always the same. 3 points? Of course!

• 28 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

ibiza

Thanks….best just to try out best to keep this place to football related chat, or at least keep insults away. I never get the whole thing of ‘you are insulting me for attention so i will reply giving you the attention you want’ haha.

If people try to insult me i just ignore it, rather spend more time with people who want to discuss something about the club, whether my view or total opposite.

I don’t fear west brom, decent team but inconsistent, had a great start to the season and their form has dipped, we have a chance to go there and win, or we could lose, but i’ll not worry about that.

• 29 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Transfer…Amen.

West Brom had a cracking start, weren’t they the Newcastle of this season? :) Guess their luck ran out too early!?!?

We certainly have the ability to beat anyone on our day, even with Pardew whatever your view is of him, but we are a serious bogey team to ourselves so who knows?

Until the final whistle I will believe. Be great to get the points and give us some breathing room. West Ham are apparently “safe” now with their point against Man U, who are now on 39 points. Not sure I agree completely, but we’ll be on level points if we win, so let’s go for it.

• 30 bobby vee // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Nice to hear that MA has added £550million to his ever
    expanding wealth and now sits on a £2.3billion fortune!
    Now surely he can reward his long suffering NUFC
    staff a pay rise which they have been denied for the past
    five years but somehow I don’t think so! Not to worry
    though the annual invasion of Sports Direct staff will
    be converging on SJP for their annual “Beano” (No
    expense spared) singing the praises of their beloved
    leader who will have bestowed thousands of pounds in
    bonus’s upon them while SJP staff can only stand by
    and witness this deliberate “kick in the teeth” towards
    them! Oh how he hates Geordies.

OK so no recompense will be forthcoming for their
    undying loyalty over the years so how about investing
    a fraction of this enormous wealth on a Manager who
    will lead the club forward and save us from a projected
    further 7 years of embarrassment! HWTL.

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Ibiza/Transfer,
    My heart says 3 points, my head says I will take nothing less than 1. I don’t fear West Brom as such, but Lukaku terrorised us at our place, and but for a few top saves from Krul, could have had a hat trick. We need to stop any supply to him, best way to do that is to take the game to them and keep the ball. Can we do that? I think so, but I have thought we could all season and have very rarely shown it.

Equally importantly this weekend we need other results to go our way. As always, looking forward to it, but a bit more apprehensive then normal due to last weekends no show.

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Bobby Vee,
    As Sports Direct and NUFC are 2 entirely different organisations, they are bound t have entirely different pay structures. Mike isn’t privately funding the parties or pay rises/bonuses. The company is. Maybe when NUFC generate the sort of profits that Sports Direct return then that is a valid point, until then it is utter nonsense.

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

bobby vee…Have their been no bonuses or incentives for the staff at SJP in that time? Genuine question as I remember in our first season back in the PL that bonuses were effected by our last game against…uh oh…West Brom.

Lilongwe…He is a handful and has had a wonderful season. We’ll have to be on guard and as you say, find a way to take the game to them. It is frustrating seeing it in little bursts, we obviously can do it…hopefully we will tomorrow.

Anyone know which games are televised tomorrow? Am I likely to be streaming?

• 34 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

The way I look at it the next five games are the most important in the history of Newcastle United.

Go down we will have a long way to come back as I cannot see the French contingent staying.

Stay up buy a new goalscorer and centre half we could go places.

As for Ashley
    I would rather have him at as the owner of the club than the theivin’ Shepherd and son of John Hall – both families screwed the club out of millions

• 35 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

ibiza

We have players capable of individual brilliance, so anyone can be beat if those players turn up, even just for a few minutes in the game.

Hopefully we can get a win.

I kind of want pardew to prove me wrong about his as it will mean we are doing well, so really on this argument i would love to be wrong with my judgement of our manager…but i fear i’m not. Only time will tell though and I might as well enjoy the games as best I can until he improves or leaves.

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Ibiza,
    I think you are likely to be streaming. We get most games out here, but we are on the delayed showing tomorrow. Pain in the arse as there is no guarantee of a power cut or internet failure out here, at least if it’s on TV I can go to a bar where they have a generator for these such problems!

• 37 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM

charlie

very few will stay if we go down, with it being a world cup year next year, and in brazil, all the players will want to play highest possible level to get in that squad…will be a special world cup out there that’s for sure.

I still think cabaye is gone this summer, think psg will make an offer too tempting for us to turn down and too tempting for cabaye…good chance of league, realistic chance of champs league and working with a top manager in your home country, which is bound to help his national team chances even more than now.

Be a shame to lose him, think he is brilliant, but can just see it.

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Charlie,
    You are right about the french contingent leaving IF we go down, although Obertan might be loyal(?) and stay with us.

In the summer Striker(2) defenders, central and probably right with Taylor being out again, and wide men. Then with an upgrade in manager or coaching staff we can look forward to next year.

As for owners, Freddie Shepherd made millions from the club, insulted people from Newcastle, and was generally an unpleasant ish guy, a friend of his covered for him and served time at one stage. I know as the friend drank in my bar after doing time, never worked had a posh house in Jesmond, and a ticket in the directors box.

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Transfer…I think everyone has some doubts now. We will see has to be the mantra with regards to Pardew, at least for the next 5 games.

Lilongwe…And I thought I had it bad :) I hope the power / internet holds up for you.

Charlie…Huge 5 games. I’d also add a winger to that list (if we stay up), then we are pretty well balanced imo.

• 40 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Couldn’t agree more

• 41 jimmysmith // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Charlie, I think you’re right. Last time we went down turned out to be a blessing. This time, it’d likely set us back years.

And I am genuinely worried about the players. Lot of pressure – not sure they’ll have the ticker for it if we don’t pick up the points in the next two games. They looked shot against
    The Black Cats.

• 42 bobby vee // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Does MA own NUFC? Of course he does lock stock
    and barrel and as such it forms part of his business
    empire, and part of this new found wealth can be attributed to money gained through owning NUFC. Are
    we trying to say that he makes NOTHING out of the
    club? Absolute nonsense, he’s sitting on a “gold mine”
    and knows it. End of story.

• 43 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

ibiza

I do appreciate the difficulty he has had but if we had gotten say 9/10 points instead of 1 from home games to villa, reading, west ham, swansea and sunderland we would be safely around 8/9th and looking good.

Those are the games he has let us down in I think, not the other ones.

• 44 TorqToon // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

So just so I know…even though we are now the 20th richest club in the world, one if the few (very few) clubs to be adhering to the New FFP guidelines, showing a profit, buying quality players, potential world class footballers and securing a sponsorship deal which pumps more money into the squad, and hands us back our SJP (granted it should never have been taken from us in the first place!)…..

We STILL hate Mike Ashley and everything about him????

• 45 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

bobby

I see your point….the amount sports direct benefits in free advertising from nufc is clear. the profits have shot up since he bought us, not just down to that but free worldwide advertising is a big help and will have saved him millions upon millions.

I do get other’s views that they are too separate companies as well. But given the way sports direct has benefited from nufc he should share the bonuses out too.

I don’t know anything to say he has or hasn’t shared them so won’t condemn the guy myself, but if he hasn’t he should do really.

• 46 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM

TS…Completely agreed. Such small margins dictate success in this league and for whatever reason he has failed and has to shoulder some of the responsibility.

Bobby Vee…I don’t think anyone questioned that aspect. Whether he does take money out at the moment or not, at the end of the day he will be the one to profit or loss from the venture as it’s his.

• 47 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM

jimmysmith
    For once I was in my seat half an hour before the game against the Mackems.
    I was watching the training routines and said to my son we are going to get a hammering if the pre match warm us was anything to go by.

Mackems were having a full scale game going at it with real vigour and verve all their coaches were on the pitch including DiCanio.

As for the toon were in three groups one having shuttle runs – half paced
    Second group playing piggy in the middle – generally laughing and farting about.
    Last group giving the keepers shot practice.

Newcastle took the half hearted pre-match into the pitch
    Sunderland took the high-tempo into the game.

And the rest is history

• 48 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM

torq

He does a lot of good but people think as he is a billionaire he should spend the same as city or chelsea….they have that in free cash…ashley hasn’t got that level in free cash.

also there is a huge difference between 12 and 2 billion our owner has compared to abramovich.

• 49 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Torq…I do appreciate what he has done. I made a point yesterday though that it could also be of great benefit to him, which is fine. If it’s good for both parties, where is the problem?

This could just be a case of cleaning house so that it can be sold, but once again, where’s the major problem? We’ll be in better shape and if he goes would have left us stable and ready to push on.

Be an interesting summer, by most accounts he’s looking to kick on and I really hope he does.

• 50 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

ibiza

And thats where my criticism is from. Not just results as injuries haven’t helped at all.

But its the style, we go into every game looking like we are beat and spending too much time in our own half for me. In some games we attacked well and gave a good showing and matched the best sides. I know pressure is less in these games but as manager he needs to get them able to play without pressure, he needs to have them thinking they can beat anyone, especially the lesser team. That’s where he earns his money, not the home win over man utd but the games against stoke, west ham, villa etc.

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Bobby,
    Just because it is part of his business empire doesn’t make them the same thing. They are 2 separate companies and as such, are kept separate. Not to mention the weird paperwork and investigations that could come from a separate organisation paying bonuses to another companies staff. Financial Fair Play boffins would have a field day with that, as would any media outlets portraying us as attempting to get around the rules.

Sage,
    We could say that because Mike Ashley has given Newcastle an Interest free loan, saving fortunes on Bank interest that he is paying for the advertising that way. In which case, NUFC are getting a bloody good deal, we would struggle to get that sort of revenue. Win win situation.

• 52 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Lilongewe
    good point on the interest rates.

Don’t know if you have seen what the Halls and Shepherds took out the club. I have posted this before but I will again.
    From big spenders to big earners

Since Newcastle United were floated on the Stock Exchange in April 1997 the Hall family and Freddy Shepherd have earned from the club as follows:

Sales of shares by Cameron Hall, Sir John and Douglas Hall’s company:

December 1998 Sold 6.3% to NTL: £10m

December 1999 Sold 3.26% to NTL: £5.28m

December 1999 Douglas Hall sold 0.39% to NTL: £0.57m

June 2003 Sold 11.4% to Newcastle United itself: £4.5m

Total earned by Hall family in sales of Newcastle United shares £20.35m

Sales of shares by Freddy Shepherd Nil

Shepherd and his brother, Bruce, have increased their shareholding, via their company, Shepherd Offshore, from 7% at the time of flotation to 28% now

Dividends paid by Newcastle United plc to shareholders 1998-2005

2005 £495,951 £552,954

Total £2,415,873 £2,862,059

Totals made from Newcastle United 1999 to 2005

Sir John, Douglas and Cameron Hall: £36,466,153

Freddy Shepherd and Shepherd Offshore: £ 8,351,298

Total £44,817,451

Figures compiled with assistance of Ian Ferguson from http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk

Totals made from Newcastle United in a 6 year period

Sir John, Douglas and Cameron Hall: £36,466,153

Freddy Shepherd and Shepherd Offshore: £ 8,351,298

Total £44,817,451
    That equals over &7 million per year

AND

In summary what Shepherd left was a club that was losing over £30m a year, had debts of £70m, had no assets they could borrow more money against, and had a set of players on long, lucrative contracts. Ashley can get rid of the debt but the £30m annual losses with over paid players will take longer to sort out.

READ?THE?FACTS at http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk

• 53 carl // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Transfer Sage
    Good morning. Just for clarification of posters with learning difficulties. The reason that Ian brought the matter to Ed’s attention was in order to ensure they were treated with respect. Rather than fellow bloggers believing that they were WUM’s. I was not implying that they should not post.

• 54 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Torq,
    I get that Ashley has made screw ups, some of colossal proportions, so I understand peoples dislike of him. However, he has also done a lot of good, has improved the club off field, and on field(although this season has been awful).

He has brought me round to being okay about it all, and happy to have him here again. Although last time I got to this stage he changed the stadium name so….. He seems to learn from his mistakes. This summer could show that again if he invests properly like he should have last summer. Will wait and see.

• 55 TorqToon // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Sage and Ibiza –

Morning to you both. :-)

I’m not kidding myself here, I know that at the end of the day, Ashley is a businessman and going to want to put the club in the best possible position to either make him money, or sell on at a profit. But if that equates to us being financially stable, with extremely good players playing in black and white, I’m happy.

This season has been horrible, but I still believe we won’t get relegated, and then we can strengthen, learn from our errors both on the pitch, training ground, dressing room and at board level, and be the surprise package next season.

I am with you when you say about spending like other clubs, that’s not how we do things. Yes citeh, Chelsea, man utd etc all can afford to buy pretty much anybody, but their finances and backing allow that, if we were to go back to those days, it would cripple us.

Just look at QPR – 1 more defeat and they are gone. But they still have an enormous wage bill and debt.

Would we rather be Newcastle Utd or QPR??

I know which side of the fence I’d want to be on…! (no fence pun intended, Ibiza!) :-)

• 56 TorqToon // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Lilongwe – I truly hope we invest again mate. It’s a must if we are to push on. I get people’s dislike for him…but they didn’t dislike him when he took control of our transfer dealings in January and got things done…!!

He really won me over with that. Yes it’s to save his club and retain investment, but he has got to be given some credit for that.

• 57 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM

carl

no worries….just wanted to be sure it was good natured.

lilongwe

You could say that but as nufc is not ashley’s company if it was losing money through interest payments on loans it wouldnt just be us losing out…it would effect him too, it would mean he would have to spend his own money to cover the costs. So that loan is basically there to save him money mainly. It’s good it saves the club money but he did it for himself in my opinion (rightly so though, why waste money you dont have too).

And whats the worldwide tv audience for prem league? we must have 100’s of millions of views of our games each year worldwide? That advertising for 90 mins a game of seeing billboards around the ground would cost much more than interest payments.

I don’t mind him benefiting as long as it benefits us too, thats fine, just don’t like it when he suggests he does these things purely for us.

• 58 PAULNUFC // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Bobby there will never be a pay rise again at nufc he ashley is changing all pays to bonus.. it started all ready I t kicks in depending on were the team finish

• 59 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Lilongwe…In the past we touched on the whole free advertising against the interest free loan. I think many people would appreciate it if they just said it that’s how it is.

Whilst many don’t like the signs etc, I think it’s fair enough tbh.

TS…I would adapt that slightly still, of course. It’s fight for me, more so that style. I can appreciate all styles to some extent, if they’re effective. The minimum I ask is that players are prepared and ready to give it their all. Some of that will be down to the manager, for sure.

Top 10 is achieved by getting the best out of the lower placed teams, taking on the big teams push us on from there. You are right, that is basically where he earns his money and for all the reasons or non reasons he hasn’t this season.

• 60 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

torq

QPR are the other extreme though, i’d like a few more players (cost doesn’t bother me, high or low or even free) just more players.

I accept we can’t compete with those clubs, thats fine, just think we could be a little looser with the purse strings, not get silly but sometimes you need to spend a little over what you like, not all the time but sometime. I dont think the extra million on debuchy would mean other clubs would try to rip us off in the future..

Have you heard much your end on cabaye to psg?

• 61 jimmysmith // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I am a bit bemused by why we have to run such a lean operation though.

It’s a good approach undoubtedly, but aren’t we sailing a little close to the wind.

We’re not Blackpool and the owner is filthy rich.

Has seemed almost belligerently frugal to me at times and I do think Ashley will be to blame if the worst happens.

• 62 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Torq…We are of the same thinking on Ashley then and a good morning to you.

• 63 Transfer Sage // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM

ibiza

I dont know personally whats he best option.

If pardew is willing to work with a good assisstant that could be it. He might want attractive football but might not know exactly how to get it so panics and reverts to defensive stuff as he thinks thats the best he can do. Offer him help and if he wont take it then his job should be questioned.

Or you could replace right away with a ready made modern manager. I dont mind either, but dont want exactly the same set up in coaching next year.

• 64 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Sage,
    I don’t think anyone thinks he does it for himself, and yes the benefits of advertising at a premier league ground are huge. However, our advertising revenue was never huge, as large portions were saved for club sponsors. The savings on loan repayments, might have affected him, or it may be that he just let the club struggle and repay, like Shepherd did rather than putting his cash in. I agree by doing the loan repayment he benefitted himself and the club, but that doesn’t make it any worse, and the savings on interest for club and him, more than cover the payment on advertising.

Charlie,
    yes, I have seen those figures. Embarrassing really considering how they “loved the club” and wanted to do what was best for it and make it a top club again. Ashley, pumps 120mill in to pay off a loan, and gets lambasted for having the cheek to think that occasionally he can take repayments out.

• 65 stuart no9 // Apr 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

ED —— ” Mike Ashley did everything wrong at Newcastle in his first two years, after he took over in the summer of 2007, and Newcastle were relegated in May of 2009.” looks like he still isnt getting much right now 6 years down the line. relagation is staring us in the face again , never really had a team to be proud of , doe to the incompetence of our manager ,- so what has he learmt since he took over ?

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

So what are we discussing today?

…Ashley being a cheap skate and how he has a motive for spending money in January and how we need him out so we can have some sort of Supporter’ trust taking over 😉 lol

…and who’s money are they going to spend? Are is it another Chelsea owner we want who can treat the PL as his playground 😉

We seem to be discussing our owner alot these days (is it because it is getting boring discussing our crap football?) lol

• 67 bobby vee // Apr 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

PAULNUFC

Thanks for that info Paul. So the day to day working
    staff at at NUFC are sorely reliant on bunch of
    millionaire players, who want for nowt to gain them
    some form of bonus. What an absolute joke. If we are
    using this season as a yardstick they will NEVER see
    any form of pay increase.

I trust the players are aware of this and cut out the
    lacklustre performances of this season, but do they care?
    Not one iota my friend – they live on a different planet!!

• 68 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Maybe if we stop calling him fat mike he might splash the cash. i propose slim mike as his new nickname.

• 69 Dingo†® // Apr 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM