This Is An Intense Time For Newcastle

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has taken responsibility for the loss against Sunderland, and in his comments to the local press today, he’s said it’s the players fault for the humiliating 3-0 loss to Sunderland, and not the manager’s fault.

mapou yanga-mbiwa 98

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – players responsible for terrible loss

But the fans have laid the responsibility for the defeat squarely on Alan Pardew’s shoulders, be that right or wrong, and the last five games of the season are now vital for the future of the north-east club.

Another relegation in four years would be completely disastrous for Newcastle, and while it’s not exactly probable, it’s possible unless Newcastle can start picking up points quickly.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is clear that it’s the players who have to pull their socks up:

“I believe the responsibility for performances and results lie with the players.” “We have to take care of winning the next game.”

“The coaches and manager will help us, of course, but we need to take responsibility to show that we want to win the next game and keep the club in the Premier League.”

“It is an intense time.” “All us players understand that there is a lot of pressure on us right now because there are some massive games coming up.”

“You have to learn to live with the pressure as professionals. This is our job.” “This is such an important time and because of this you have to pay attention to everything; what you eat, when you sleep, how you rest, if you want to avoid injury.”

“Everyone needs to be ready now.” “This is what you must do to have a professional life and if you want to be a success.” “It is so important to win at the weekend because we obviously want to stay in the Premier League. It is a huge game for us.”

We need a win tomorrow to allow the Newcastle fans to start to recover from the disastrous and humbling loss last Sunday to Sunderland – the worst defeat by Sunderland since back in 1979.

It’s just not good enough.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Rotonda heights

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM

No plain Saylor wrote a very long article in a previous thread but there were some gems in it like this below:-
    _ _ _ _ _ _

Even those of you that want Pardew to stay, its because you fear the devil you don’t know. You fear the replacement might not be a step up. In fairness it would be hard to find a step down?

Most managers never get to manage a club of this stature and would kill for the opportunity. And for this squad to be fighting a relegation battle, to have declined in league position since the french lads came in in january is nothing short of a disgrace!

A blind, deaf, mute Labrador could guide the toon to at least 10th. And if any blind Labrador’s out there are offended… wait they’re blind and animals in which case I can say what I want.

• lesh

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Whilst it is the under-performance of the players on the field that cost us on Sunday, it is the manager’s job to motivate them.

I’m not bashing Pardew for the result but if he can’t motivate them, there’s clearly something that needs to be looked into.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM

One of my best days following the toon was at the Hawthorns when we won 3-1 in the cup
    Jinky Jim came on and played a blinder.
    Oh for the same result tomorrow

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Ibiza
    Cynical? me? Am full of rainbows and sweeties as well u know!

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Rotonda…

Gems because they’re funny or factual?

1) Whilst there will be and are better managers, there are of course many that are worse.

2) We have been in a relegation battle since they arrived. The last time we were higher higher than our current league position (13th) was after game number 12, when we were 12th.

3) No comment. Blind dog in!

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Yo…Full of sweeties? Are you a Piñata?

Also, apparently as of the 14th April 2013 our most played team is…

—————–Krul—————
    Simmo—Taylor–Willo–Santon
    ———-Perch—-Anita———-
    —Marv—–Cabaye—-Jonas—-
    —————-Cisse—————

Disclaimer: This info is taken from Wiki, if anyone knows a better place to source this please let me know as it’s an interesting topic for me.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Also…on number 2, feel free to remove one higher 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

ibiza

wikipedia is good but not always up to date

espn usually has up to date stats

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Enough said mbiwa! Heard enough apologies etc this week from players, management etc, best apology they can give us is an all out onslaught at west brom, I just want to see us player with some passion and fire against the baggies!

Have to admit its tough to post on here atm, people seem to be attacked for having a differing opinion, pointed out by firebug in an earlier post, that when leeb asked someone to give an opinion on why they wanted pardew to stay, ameobi replied, to which leebs reply was fcuk off! Sums it up on here at the moment especially when people start having digs at people like torq or Ibiza or anyone who try’s to get a debate going!

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ibiza
    Well kids do chase me with sticks, this puzzle is becoming clearer by the minute!

And those stats can’t be right Anita and Marv never play

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM

YO
    Areet mate you’ve come back!! Prediction for the weekend?

• Transfer Sage

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

tads

it’s almost like those of a differing opinion are worthless…why post an idea if you dont want to hear others, some people baffle me.

• John Tudor

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

fa cup i was there doing salom s in middle at the end

• yo-yo

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Rotonda

It’s not about fear of the unknown but not really knowing what the problem is or where is has come from. I’ve done a piece on how abysmal our defence has been over twelve years – even when we were top 5 it was like a colander. The Toon needs a deep clean.

I think AP has many strengths and an equal number of weaknesses. A good boss would play him to his strengths and provide support for or compensate for his weaknesses. I’m with TS, Hemingway and the others who want new blood in on the coaching side but we need better attitude and after reading the post about the half hearted warm up a sports psychologist or motivational coach too.
    I know it’s a total disgrace if our players can’t get up for the scum at home, but the idea of a single person (manager) being able to take responsibility and oversee everything on the coaching, medical, organisational, tactical and man management side is way out of time

• yo-yo

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

TADS

We had our best game last season at the Hawthorns – we need the same this year

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Tads…It says updated on the 14th April, but that doesn’t mean they are correct 🙂

Tads…It has been an “entertaining” week.

You’re right, words will only do so much. We need points and ideally a performance from them now.

Yo…Are you popular at parties? 🙂

That is why I am intrigued about the stats. If I had been asked I would say those two haven’t had that many starts, but apparently that isn’t the case at all. Throws a lot of questions out there. Will look in to it over the weekend and check out the info. Intriguing.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Sage,
    Sorry to pull you back to the previous thread, but you said constantly changing managers with different styles hasn’t helped us. (Had to nip out and check on a farm related problem) But we went through Souness, Allardyce JFK Hughton Pardew. Roeder was in there somewhere as well, (I’m deliberately ignoring Shearer) Other than when Keegan was here briefly, I would say they are all similar styles. very direct old fashioned approach. Maybe I’m doing Roeder a slight injustice, but in the main since Bobby there has been a fairly common theme.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Not sure why I named you twice tads, guess I’ve missed you.

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    How u doing mate? Aye am still lurking about haha I predict I will be trying to forget football exists by the time match of the day rolls round

Nar I reckon cagey as hell 2-1 win or 1-1 draw, what ur money on lad?

• yo-yo

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Lilongwe

And throughout that time we have had a dismal defence too. Not one manager who has got us under 40 goals conceded since 2001

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Yo yo
    Like I said not interested in apologies just want to see the lads put in a spirited and determined performance

TS
    I know I don’t get it at all they must just like the feeling of throwing there cyber weight round!!!

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Ibiza
    …no 🙁

• yo-yo

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Yo

Reckon we’ll see a ManU/Gooners away performance – total commitment great passing game attack attack counterattack. Only we won’t concede more than one goal.
    Too late to hold back for a 0-1 away win now – there’s more than that at stake

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Ibiza,
    As of 14th April, as in up until then? I find it hard to believe Anita Marv and Taylor are in there! Not that I would ever doubt you. 🙂 Also, that isn’t a bad team, barring maybe central defence, so where is it all going wrong? Actually, please no one answer that question!!

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Ibiza
    Tbf both Anita and Marv have played a fair but while cabs and Tiote have been crocked/gone could be true. Tiote hasn’t played that much this season, Cabs has been out a big chunk and HBA took a holiday err got injured I mean could be truth

• Tsunki

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

No Plain Saylors post was indeed an epic, but Pardew is only a small part of the problem imo.

It is correct to say we have had an abysmal defence for many years, pre Pardew, and maybe the coaching setup which has been threaded with the same individuals, needs to be looked at to cure this. I also think the fitness regime is not good enough, tiredness and injury levels all point to the sports science or lack of it. I think getting a new manager may be a step forward, but by no means will it address all the issues unless the manager comes with an entirely new setup, and I don’t mean like Fat Sam’s overblown and costly institution, which I believe we are still suffering the remnants of.

If we do well this weekend we could get a draw, but that would be a tremendous result given the campaign we have suffered so far.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

YO
    Got a tenner on a 2-0 win, think west brom are in a bit of a lull, and we SHOULD be going all out for this! If we don’t I might just pretend the season has finished 😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yo-yo,
    funnily enough, I reckon that lambasted defence of Barton/Peacock/albert/Howey/Beresford/Vennison etc. was probably our best period of defensive solidity!! (None of that is researched, but I seem to remember a few good seasons there!)

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

yo-yo
    Oh that performance would be great and I hope ur right mate

• TorqToon

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Morning TADS. Nice to see you.

Whilst maybe I took hatems abuse to heart a little easily, at times it does feeling like we are walking on egg shells on place.

Win against west brom – and all will be a better place on Monday morning! I steer clear of the blog on match days for both my own happiness, and my own sanity! 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Ibiza
    Cheers babe 😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

As for tomorrow, I think Steve Clarke will have them well up for it, as he knows if we concede early then we could crumble. However, if we score first, I hope we go on to give them a hiding! Toon -1.5 will be my bet, so if you want to be rich, keep your money in your pocket!

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Money on it? Confidence haha I like it. I have no idea how West Brom are doing tbh I just know Lukaku is dominating and we can’t cope with Long so I hold little hope but I’ve been wrong before let’s hope I am again

• Beattie25

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Speaking of people who attacks someone for no reason, here comes Beattie.

In my defence I only attack people who support Pardew in such an extreme way that hey manipulate facts to warp their own opinion. If people offer decent debate I will happily get involved with that. But I hope people recognise the difference between who I insult and who I don’t.

Speaking of insults has BandB been on to apologise for his senseless verbal assault?

I was catching up on the blog and saw he’d laid into me and Ibiza for discussing cock sizes. What has the blog come to when 2 grown men can’t even compare their instruments?

I was having a good chat to BandB the other day as well. He’s a very funny guy and I must say he’s now on Beatties lack list.

Anyway I’m not going to talk about Pardew today. Just going to coast along. Unless of course somebody talks utter gubbins.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Yo…I find that surprising. Oh well chin up.

Thinking about it, I actually expect it to be somewhat true. As you say, Tiote has been out for ages. We only got the new lads towards the end of January. It could well show that what we assume isn’t always on the money.

Lilongwe…It says updated 14th April, as in up to that date. I will be looking in to it further, as it’s not about doubting me, but doubting people who update that website 🙂

For me, what it shows is not the wrong team being selected, but more towards how they’re being instructed to play, the inconsistencies within the team and having players who quite frankly many think aren’t good enough or yet adapted to the league or hitting form.

• TorqToon

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Yo – That’s the big test, if we can contain lukaku and long, we will win the game.

Either way, I hope we arebt questioning our players desire again!

• WWYCD

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Torq
    U can’t take any abuse on here personally mate it’s keyboard warriors and venting primarily most are sound enough people who just love the toon.

• ErnestHemingway

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I think it was Transfer Sage on here last night who questioned if there were any teams in and around the top four of their respective league who played “defensive” football. Yes, is the resounding answer to that question.

Man City, Chelsea, Hull City, Doncaster Rovers, Gillingham. And that’s just in England’s top four leagues. Across the continent you have the likes of Marseille and Freiburg. I was tempted to put Real Madrid in this group too as Mourinho is an uber defensive coach. An uber successful one aswell. Also, those calling for Sammi Hyppia to be Newcastle manager (I think it was Catchy), should perhaps watch his Leverkusen team. They don’t play expansive football and have built this season upon being solid defensively first and foremost.

Whilst I mightn’t agree that being defensive is the best or only way to succeed, it is wrong to say that style of football cannot and does not bring about results.

History is littered with defensive teams who were very successful, both at domestic level, European level and, indeed, international level.

• yo-yo

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

REPOST

The table won’t print right as the formatting on here is wild but it goes

SEASON ENDING / FINAL POSN/ TOON GOALS AGAINST/ AVE EPL GOALS AGAINST / GOAL DIFF

01 11th 50 / 49.6 / -6 worse
    11 12th 57 / 53.15 / -1 worse
    12 5th 51 / 53.3 / +5 better
    13 13th 59 / 45. 8 / -17 so far so bad

and my point is

1. we have not conceded less than an ave of 1.1 goals a game this century
    2. we have only bettered the league average in 4 out of 12 seasons
    3. even in the four seasons we have had a better than average defensive performance we have only once bettered the league average by more than ten goals
    4. In our last five EPL seasons we’ve conceded more than 50 goals.
    5. For two of the 4 seasons we’ve conceded fewaer than average we’ve been within 3 goals of the average – so not much better really.

The problem has continued despite almost all our managerial changes since 2000-01 – we have a poor defence. Unless we can stabilise that we are going nowhere long term.

Everyone on here looks mostly at win/lose % for their shiny new managers – which is a good start point but is too crude an index IMO we need to look at a much wider range of stats before judging potential new coaches/managers.

Put this on last night as a football based topic when the ego-self strokers were on in full force.

• Tsunki

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Beattie – ha ha mate but is BandB a HIM? Just a thought, but I had the impression he was a her. There is probably where your faux was pas’d I dunno.

I love Pardew because he keeps the earth at roughly a 27.5 degree tilt on its axis, which is why we are still all alive and headng for a top 4 finish next season. OK Beattie, rev it up…. 🙂

1 2 3 6