The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Passion Can Cut Both Ways At Newcastle

9:22 am, Saturday, April 20th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Passion cuts both ways, and the fans of Newcastle United. are some of the most passionate fans that exist anywhere in the world.

alan pardew - oh no

Alan Pardew – chance to show what he can do today

Newcastle are one of the best supported teams in the world too, and even in a season when we are really struggling in the league, the average attendance at St. James’ Park is still over 50,000, with the two last games of the season against Liverpool and Arsenal sell-outs – and we need the points to ensure our safety.

We all saw the passion displayed when Papiss Cisse got that dramatic winner against Fulham almost two weeks ago, and the fans were hugging manager Alan Pardew on the sidelines – everything was so great.

But how things can change quickly in football.

The following Thursday, Newcastle made a brave effort to get into the semi-finals of the Europa League against Benfica but failed, and the lads were applauded off the field for their efforts,

But then the unexpected and unbelievable happened, and Newcastle put in a weak performance against Sunderland last Sunday, and were beaten 3-0 – and all hell broke loose – almost literally.

Newcastle fans rioted in the city center – to make things even worse – and it seems manager and players hunkered down this week amid the fans’ backlash against the manager and players, for not showing the desire and passion demanded of any Newcastle side.

When things are going great, everything is wonderful, but when things are not going great – and a 3-0 defeat at home by Sunderland is a tragedy – then Newcastle’s passionate fans show their anger and dissatisfaction

The players have a chance at West Brom this afternoon, to start to put things right, and maybe only a win will be an acceptable result today – and that’s what we are hoping for – even though we only have one away win all season.

We don’t even want to think or talk about what would happen if we lose today.

We need a win, and we expect our lads to go out and get a result today, as if their lives depended on winning the game today.

We hope that will do it.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Fans · Newcastle News · Premier League

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

If we go down do you think the players and staff will do a lap of honour?

Hope not – don’t think I would be able to take it!

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It is common knowledge that nobody else was interviewed for the job when Chris Hughton was ruthlessly sacked, so that means that Pardew was hired for a specific reason by the same person or persons who masterminded the appointment of Dennis Wise as a technical advisor to twice European footballer of the year Kevin Keegan and the appointment of the unlovable rascal JFK, what these specific reasons are remains to be seen but my guess is that Pardew is a yes man who was forewarned that the fans would be lied to and that he would be the mouthpiece to translate this.

• 3 Hatem's better than Messi // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Pardew is a Spin Doctor.

The problem is that he faces the press hundreds of times a season and after a while people start seeing the truth through all the smoke and mirrors his words create.

He’ll blame anyone he can to deflect criticism away from himself, Llambias and Ashley.

• 4 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Not sure if i can even watch the game today !

Will be at my Mother-in-Laws, and that will be torture enough ?

If there was ever a ” Must Win ” ! situation then this is it?

• 5 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Under normal circumstances I would think that what fans want to see first and foremost is a a spirited performance from the players, normally win, lose or draw that is all we can expect. Not sure that is enough on it’s own at this stage given we need to find a way to get points over these 5 games and whilst not an easy fixture, this has to be a game where we are targeting to get at least one of those points.

• 6 nufc_eire // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM

This is our 2nd last chance to pick up some points. We need at least a draw today and hope that by the time we play qpr they are down and out. And that they roll over for us because they are all trying to stay injury free for new clubs in the summer!!

Or we could win the next five in a row and finish on 51 points!! HWTL

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Ibiza,
    I will be listening to the match on the radio today so I don’t give a fu(k what it looks like I just want three points and will gladly take a deflection off of Mike Williamson or Danny Simpsons arse.

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Jail… :) I will take a lucky win as well. By spirited, I didn’t mean a slick performance, as that could be too much to expect at this point, but a fight? I do expect that.

nufc_eire…Have to say, I prefer that last option.

• 9 BigKirky // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I just hope the response by the team is of a much improved performance and we get 3 points, as Pardew is really scraping for excuses. If we don’t win my ears can’t take any more silver tongued drivvel he spouts post match.

• 10 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

@6:

I deffo do not want to be dependant on results from other clubs?
    While a draw would be nice, i doubt if i will be satisfied with any thing less than three points !

If they lose, with a fight, it would be just too much for me to bear after last week?
    Sqeaky Bum Time at 16:00 (European-time) hours this afternoon?

• 11 thai-mag // Apr 20, 2013 at 9:58 AM

going to watch game in the Geordie bar with all the other geordie ex-pats, then at least if things go wrong there’s nobody in that’s going to take the pi##. got to win today because the last 4 games are going to be hard

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM

NewExPat…Yeah, 4pm KO for us future dwellers.

Will be hard to take a good performance yet no points today. Not sure how I would feel. As an isolated result I’d like to think we could all accept that, as it does happen in football, but it’s not that easy given how the season has gone and where we are.

They need to find a way to get at least a point, ideally three.

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I think everyone at this stage just want us to get points!

…how is looks or how we get them don’t really matter anymore.

We just need to be safe – then we can reassess in the summer :-)

I won’t be seeing the game today – playing myself!

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Jesper…Bit of an odd way to kill 90 minutes, oh playing yourself…as in football. Might have added a “with” when I was reading that.

Just been reading Lee Ryders latest piece on Pardew. Seems pretty balanced from someone who is considered to only act as a cheerleader to the club, what does everyone else think?

• 15 catchy in norway // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

do you not think it has got to the stage where if the team start to win, and he starts putting players in the right position,, he has left it to late for ppl to trust he wont do it again,
    i for one, think that the man is very negative in all he does,

every interview, he says things fans want to hear, but very rarely is it true,

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Catchy…I don’t think it will make many “trust” him not to do it again, it would likely buy him some more judgement time with a fair few fans.

• 17 Guj NUFC // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Morning everyone.

If Marveaux & Tiote won’t play and Ben Arfa will start on the bench, what will our line-up look like?
    I think Pardew will go with- Elliot- Debuchy, MYM, Taylor, Haidara- Cabaye, Anita/Perch, Sissoko- Jonas, Cisse, Gouffran.
    I can’t see any better alternatives??

• 18 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ibiza…you rascal 😉 lol

are you asking what we think about Lee Ryder’s statement today? I haven’t read it so cannot comment :-)

First game of the season for me so I am looking forward to it :-)

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Jesper…That’s why I posted the link so you can read it and comment :)

Good luck in your first game. I expect a spirited performance. Do you have any streams for your game? 😉

• 20 ronjohno // Apr 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Just watched game against West Brom.
    Clarke realises under cosh so makes changes at half time.
    Only one team in it now and Pardew is clueless to respond.
    Also I would like to know how after his nightmare game against Macks useless Jonas gets picked again today and puts in his usual inept display.
    What has he got over Pardew?? Must be something serious.

previous post: Ben Arfa’s Hamstring Still Not Right