The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

America Getting Very Serious About Premier League

10:11 am, Wednesday, April 24th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

There was a press conference last Tuesday in New City at 30 Rockefeller Center (30 Rock), where NBC Sports unveiled their Premier League plans for next season.

Richard Scudamore l

Richard Scudamore – as good as it gets

They beat out ESPN (part of ABC – which is part of the Disney Empire) for the right to broadcast the games in a $250M bid, and they see this as a great way to improve their brand worldwide, since the Premier League is broadcast in lots and lots of countries around the world.

Premier League CEO Richard Scudamore attended the announcement, and NBC will show, for the first time ever, all 380 EPL games live next season,  and they have hired various English announcers.

NBC Sports  are going to have Match of the Day on Saturday nights (sound familiar?), and it will be repeated on Sunday mornings.

There will be a Match of the Week also broadcast on Sunday nights, and it’s a showing of the best game of the Premier League weekend – so we should see Newcastle on that show a lot next season.

Arlo White, formerly of the BBC, is the lead play-by-play commentator, and he will cover over 75 matches during the season.

And former Chelsea and England defender Graeme Le Saux and former Arsenal and England defender Lee Dixon will provide analysis – the color commentary as it’s called over here.

Rebecca Lowe, who is English and used to work at ESPN in the US, will become the NBC Sports’ studio host.

And of course NBC Sports outbid ESPN for the right to broadcast the games in the Premier League for the next three seasons.

England international Gary Lineker is to become a special contributor (whatever that means) and he will continue to be located in England, where he hosts Match of the Day for the BBC.

More money for Gary, but no word on Alan Shearer being part of the NBC package.

This is what Scudamore said at the meeting last week:

“We thought we’d taken this league around the world to some levels, but this is just about as good as it gets,”

“Yes there might be 1.2 billion people in China, there might be 1.3 billion people in India… but nowhere, nowhere, do they consume sports like they do here in the U.S.”

Fox Sports, with former Newcastle right-back Warren Barton as the lead analyst – he’s a great ambassador for Newcastle United over here – will continue to broadcast games for Fox Sports next season.

I’ve already got the NBC Sports channel on my DISH satellite package – so I’m ready and waiting! :D

Note: We are trying to assist in a study on Newcastle United today – and an online survey is being conducted on Premier League teams for academic research purposes by researchers at Pennsylvania State University and Technical University Munich – it will last approximately 10 minutes. Please take th study if you can – it’s confidential. Here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League · TV coverage · TV Schedule

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Being hit on the head with a stale baguette more times than Eds had hits on this blog is too good for Ashley .

• 2 Moe // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Ahh all this sound too good. WHERE WERE THEY LAST 8 YEARS!?

• 3 Rozzy // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM

It

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Great news for you Ed :)

• 5 BigKirky // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

On that Mirror article, I read it this morning, he misses out a lot of things which can only really be seen consistently every match game and glosses over other stuff. I tweeted him back a few tweets with some key points he missed ;-)

Plus, Moyes is not Pardew, Pardew is not Moyes. Pardew is his CV, Moyes is his CV. However, Finkle IS Einhorn…

• 6 Todd-USA // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Now it’s a bit harder to say we in the US don’t care about the game. I wish this happened a LOT sooner.

• 7 ichrisho // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yayyyyy for America!!!!!

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

USA! USA! USA! Sorry, getting carried away.

PL coming to america. Coming to America, what a movie.

Someone give me something to discuss ffs :)

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Charlie from previous
    The blog has been an absolute nightmare for Ads and diverting you to other sights etc the last couple of days, hope Ed sorts it out soon it’s making the blog hard work to use not to mention its as annoying as anything!

• 10 Rozzy // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

It would have been funny to see 5under1and go down this season and see them get left behind financially with this mega deal next season ???? also about the new strip. I like how it’s more black than white but for god sake you can get that black cat off it or change it to white or gold somehow.

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I use Opera an have no ads what so ever :) (installed an ad-blocker long long time ago)

• 12 ichrisho // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Ibiza – Top 5 players for NUFC in the last 2 years… Also Coming to America is an awesome movie… What was the name of the restaurant again?

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM

ichrisho…Was it MacDowells?

Last 2 years…

1) HBA
    2) Cabaye
    3) Krul
    4) Cisse
    5) Ba or Williamson ;)

• 14 estechco // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

toonarmydownsouth – Repost from earlier Tiote thread…

You’re perfectly entitled to disagree. There’d been a game a few weeks earlier, where most of my mates (sitting at various points around SJP) said he’d had a good game and I thought he’d had an absolute shocker.

Just goes to show we all see the game through different eyes?

• 15 Ketsbaia9 // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Desperate for Villa to go down. Benteke would be a success here (similar to Ba). Benteke and Remy are the players we need. Cisse, Gouffran, Remy and Benteke would be good enough for next season. Hopefully Wigan can get a result against Spurs.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Kets…I’d love Villa to go down, but wouldn’t mind seeing Wigan go down either. Basically I’d rather keep both of them as far away as possible, so I’ll be cheering Spurs on personally.

• 17 ichrisho // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Yeah McDowells and it had a logo just like MaccyD’s… Quality – Gonna see if I can get that online later…

Williamson!!!!!!! Yeah defo would be up there… and I mean it… he was a tower in the championship… he has stayed around too long mind… awful @ marking but who needs that eh?

I do hope Villa go down and we put in an offer for Benteke… failing that we should get Lukaku… what a beast..

• 18 hotdog // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Ibiza. Sorry I never replied yesterday mate but that sums up my time management at the minute :-). I still read the articles but am struggling with joining in the convos. In fact I’m off into a meeting in 5 minutes haha.

• 19 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

estechco
    Very true mate, I just have higher expectations from tiote than some of the other lads because I know what he’s capable of playing like on top form, just feel he’s let us down massively this season

Jesper
    Unfortunately you can’t get ad-blockers on mobile devices!

• 20 estechco // Apr 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I’ve managed to block a large proportion of the ads by adding lines into my hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc or similar on a Windows machine). Not trivial or for those on Android/Apple products, but works a treat!

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // Apr 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM

ichrisho…Might join you on watching it later, such a funny film.

Williamson fulfilled his purpose, but he just isn’t part of our future plans. Fully expect him to be gone this summer and good luck to the lad. Always tries his hardest.

Hotdog…Excuses, excuses :) You’re not missing too much really, same day after day.

Have a good one.

• 22 estechco // Apr 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM

@19 If your using your mobile device via your own home Wifi, some routers e.g. NetGear will also let you perform similar tricks via the built in config

• 23 ichrisho // Apr 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM

NEW STRIP!!! Good or not so good… I like it bar the Wonga name blazoned all over it…

• 24 bringbackemre // Apr 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

1rst.Jonas 2nd.Enrique 3rd Ba 4th Ben Arfa 5th Tiote

• 25 rfcready // Apr 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I live in the States where I can watch more EPL than I could if I lived at home. The days of my sister sending me VHS tapes of games and listening to games on shortwave radio is long gone but those were good days, still love listening to games on the radio. TV commentary here is not great when you listen to US commentators but I tune them out.
    Howay the Lads!!

• 26 NewEnglandGeordie // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

As someone living in MA, USA this is great news! No more streams! And hopefully football will take the place of baseball here in the states.

• 27 cinhosa // Apr 25, 2013 at 1:38 AM

We in the ‘States already get a lot of ‘toon games especially on Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer Plus. This will be great to get more coverage.

previous post: New Coach For Newcastle – Ashley To Fund New Players