The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Tiote Could Start Against Reds – Injury Update

1:15 am, Wednesday, April 24th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Alan Pardew could have three players back on Saturday, for the very important game against Liverpool at St. James’ Park, but it may be that only one returning player actually starts the game.

cheick tiote sunderland

Cheick Tiote – back against Liverpool

The three are Cheick Tiote, Fabricio Coloccini and Sylvain Marveaux, and that order is probably indicative of who is most likely to play, with Cheick seemingly ready to start the game.

This is what Alan Pardew said about Cheick:

“I think Cheick has a really good chance.”

Newcastle top center-back and captain Fabricio Coloccini has been out with a back injury since February 24th, when he did his back in, and that’s over eight weeks and eleven games ago, but it doesn’t look like he will start against Liverpool, since he doesn’t start training until Thursday:

This is what Pardew said about his captain:

“Colo will train on Thursday or Friday,” “To have him around will be a boost.”

With Fab already missing the last eleven games, he may not play more than three more games for Newcastle, before he leaves Newcastle for Argentina in the summer.

There’s no new news on the Colo situation – other than his family continue to be back home in Argentina and Colo’s on Tyneside.

And there’s not much on Sylvain Marveaux, who has a groin injury – so it may be doubtful that he’ll be available for Liverpool – a club he almost joined two years ago – before Newcastle swooped in to sign him in June of 2011 – as a free agent.

And no news on Davide Santon and his hamstring injury – and he’s probably out for the season.

Note We are trying to assist in a study on Newcastle United today – and an online survey is being conducted for academic research purposes by researchers at Pennsylvania State University and Technical University Munich – it will last approximately 10 minutes. Please take th study if you can – it’s confidential. Here it is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Fabricio Coloccini · Injuries · Newcastle News · Sylvain Marveaux

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 NUFC_LEAZES END // Apr 24, 2013 at 1:32 AM

‘Newcastle guilty of not replacing striker’. Cough cough , gouffran , cough cough

• 2 Jackel001 // Apr 24, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I do hope pards uses his head for once and puts Goofy upfront and gives him a chance. Massive opportunity for the lad to show what he can do. And have Cabaye, HBA and Marv just behind.

Leazes
    I think he mean’s an out n out striker, goofy isn’t really that BUT like I’ve just said could prove us all wrong

• 3 RonVanDam // Apr 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM

We have Gouf, Ameobi, Campbell who can play as striker. Wouldnt mind if we used Oberton or Marv as strikers.

I personally think Marv and Gouf will be a better partnership with Marv behind Gouf in a 4-4-2 formation

• 4 Jackel001 // Apr 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Ron

ShanIobie is done, I would give up all hope if I saw his name on the starting line-up

Campbell is a bit too young to be thrown in the deep end especially against Liverpool. Get the lad out on loan next season and in a few seasons he’ll be a hit!

• 5 gndtoon // Apr 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM

@jackel001

I see your point mate, but look at Raheem, the lads done well at Liverpool and played in some big games. I do think though untill we hit the magic 40 every game is going to have that added pressure which maybe to much for young adam. Too bad we didn’t use him earlier !

• 6 RonVanDam // Apr 24, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Liverpool game will be tough. team i would play will be

Elliot
    Debucey —–Saylor——Mbiwa—–Haidara
    Collo—–Tioti
    Sissoko——-Cabaye———-Hba
    Gouf

I think Collo wont be ideal at CB for this game because he will be caught out for his lack of pace. DM would suit so he can atleast break any attack Liverpool puts through when they are on offence and make the job easier for the backs. This way our defence will be solid.

Sissoko on right to trouble Jose and Hba against Johnson.

If Collo, Tioti and Marv dont make the team this weekend then i would like to see.

Elliot
    Debucey —–Saylor——Mbiwa—–Haidara
    Anita—-Sissoko
    HBA——-Cabaye———-Jonas
    Gouf

• 7 Novocastrian66 // Apr 24, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Daily Star reckons Cisse will be fit for Saturday.

• 8 p // Apr 24, 2013 at 3:46 AM

@7 must be true then

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 24, 2013 at 4:38 AM

‘Tiote could start against reds’
    NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Fcuking sick of this bloke strolling back into the team everytime he returns from an injury or the ACON, on his form he shouldn’t make the reserves let alone the first team

• 10 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Apr 24, 2013 at 4:43 AM

toonarmydownsouth,

Literally took the words right out of my mouth.

Perch, Anita and Bigi should be far ahead of him in the pecking order.

• 11 terencelim // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM

@10, Perch yes, but Anita and Bigi not even close. Fans tend to rate newer recruits a lot but be fair Anita and Bigi are so far Championship standard.

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:10 AM

@11
    Very harsh, the only game bigi has looked “championship” standard this season was vs benfica and I stress that’s the only game, this lad has settled with real class and it wouldn’t hurt us to bring one youngster through properly
    As for anita, once again harsh and much better than tiote this season, in fact over dec/jan when tiote was missing the lad was easily one of our best players

• 13 RonVanDam // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Because we are in a relegation battle. If Tiote is fit to play, Pardew will play him. Why? Because Tioti offers a strong presence and has big game experience eventhou he has lost the gloss of a enforcer

• 14 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:25 AM

@12:

There are,nt many times on here i find that i agree with you!

Anita is one of our best assets and a damn good player who gets over looked by Pardew and left on the bench too much.
    If he got more games, he would improve!His best is still to come. The exact same thing was happening with Marvaux for too long?

Unfortunately he also gets written off by a lot on here and branded Championship standard which he is most certainly is,nt?

Liverpool will be a difficult game, and one which we have to play well to even get a point ! The teams around us have easier run-ins?

Its squeky Bum time!

• 15 RonVanDam // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Thats my argument why Pards will Tioti regardless of who is better than him and could get the job done.

• 16 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:29 AM

That is the Problem with Pardew?

He has his favourites and plays them, irregardless on form etc,
    Another one of his favourites is Jonas?

He should,nt be afraid to just drop certain players when their form is shite?

• 17 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:16 AM

on the last topic about guilty for not replacing striker in january, I thought Gouffran was a striker in Bordeaux. So.. Gouffran for Ba, but AP put him as winger and he seems to be very hard working player, but sometimes he went too deep to cover or he did it as instructed by AP. The whole team played too deep imo and someone has to coach Cisse to beat off-side trap correctly.

• 18 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:19 AM

AP set the team to play too defensive, even attack minded players now become too defensive. Even his favourite player Jonas now has become defensive player, soon we will have HBA playing as RB

• 19 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Santon…before we sold Ba we needed another forward so bying Gouf is not really replacing Ba is it ;-)

…most of us were happy with our dealings in January but thought we gambled yet again by not signing another forward.

To me this is just same old same old. We never seem to learn!

But then again this is just a armo for Pardew to have another excuss for why it is not going so well! and an excuss for those who are persistant than Pardew is not to blame (or only share a very small percentage of the blame)

I did think the talk about delusion of grandeur and arrogant on the blog last night was fun though….especially since this season has been all about hybris and nemesis!

• 20 RonVanDam // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM

@12
    I agree with you. I remember in Nov and Dec who our midfield was depleted, Anita stood up and Wasnt he voted man of the match a few times in Eds poll. I don’t know why he’s restricted just like marv not used to his full potential. Two things come to mind: either pardew is inept to see real talent or there’s player power who gets selected and who u pass to on the field.

• 21 Moe_UAE // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Does anyone else think that Perch was nothing short of poor in his last 5-6 games? For me he was barely intercepting any balls or protecting defenders, didn’t have a presence in the midfield.

Also, could someone explain to me why Anita isn’t getting enough chances?

• 22 cyprus // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM

“Just watching Tiote’s man of the match interview, with sweat streaming down his face….he’s plays for Newcastle with the passion I would play with (if I ever was good enough)….absolute legend!”

This is what fans were saying just a few months ago. GIVE THE MAN A BREAK.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Cyprus

My view on tiote isn’t personal or because I am against him, it’s just a simple what’s best for team.

If somebody who is a proven player for you loses form give then a couple weeks to turn it around but can only give him so long. It’s now the time he needs to be benched, make him earn his place back.

Competition for places is important, picking the same players every week doesn’t just kill morale of players in form it also is probably why half our players are so tired.

• 24 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM

jesper

it wouldn’t make any difference if we bought 3 or 4 forwards in january, even if we bought messi and ronaldo. we will see them playing too deep and we will still lose to mediocre teams and AP will still find something to blame or to make as excuses. that’s the type of person he is.
    I pray next season we have a new manager. Even better if we have new manager now, seems like we will not win another game this season, but we wil survive because the teams below us will not win too.
    maybe i’m doom and gloom, not being too pessimist or optimist, just looking at reality. I find it very hard to get a win with AP in charge.

• 25 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM

TS

I don’t think AP knows his best team is. All he know is one tactic and his favourite players. He set the team around to accomodate his favourite players. Winning is 2nd priority for him.

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Santon…I wouldn’t say you are doom and gloom my friend!

…frustration gets to everyone just look at TS ;-)

• 27 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM

hahahaha Jesper… I feel better now

• 28 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Santon… ;-)

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM

…forgot the smily face lol

• 30 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Tiote was very good player, this season he is not so good, many time he is crap. With different manager, he could be a great player. I’ve seen many times that manager has less power than his players and things end up badly for the manager and if the manager just trying to make his players happy then the team suffers. AP just saving his own, we all have seen it with Ba being given central role when he should have done what Mancini did to Tevez, look at Tevez now.

• 31 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM

There were only 2 great English managers that has managed NUFC so far imo, Sir Bobby and Roeder.
    Roeder was very unlucky, his injury list problems was much much worse than what we have this season.

• 32 jimmysmith // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Tiote has been below par this season, but who in that midfield hasn’t.

If you picked a Toon 11 from a fully fit squad with any real hope and expectation of competing with the senior teams he’d surely be in it and James Perch, Anita and Bigi likely wouldn’t.

I’m very happy to have Tiote, Colo and Marv back in contention. And while I probably on form would go for a midfeild 4 of HBA, Sissoko, Cabaye and Jonas with Marv in the hole behind Goofy or Cisse, I wouldn’t object if Tiote is picked to anchor a central midfield 3 against a solid Liverpool side that Rogers has playing well.

• 33 Ian Toon // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Santon- Good Morning.
    Was the Lee Ryder article in conversation with you! It all sounded familiar-LOL
    manxpie- I agree with your reasoning.
    Ibiza- Don’t let the buggers get you down.
    Jesper- just passing through on route to a coffee.

• 34 firebug666 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I said this before and here it is again. Last season we played an attacking 4-3-3 formation, this suited the players very well and brought the best out of them. This season we have played the 4-2-3-1 formation and it just does not work with our players. This formation is far to defensive, we need to get back into our attacking formation and Soon.

• 35 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Good morning Ian.
    I don’t even know who Lee Ryder is LOL

• 36 Ian Toon // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Solano- what happened to KK. Roeder was a nice bloke and unlucky but if he was that good how come he hasn’t worked in football since?

• 37 toonbrother // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM

good to hear tiote is back! top bloke and great player.

I wouldnt give him a start though. He should come on as a sub late in the match

if cisse is unfit i would go with

………………..gouffy
    jonas……………cabs……………….hba
    ……………….momo…perchinio

if not I would play

………………..cisse
    gouffy……………cabs……………….hba
    ……………….momo…perchinio

• 38 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Ian

I forgot about KK, that means 3 :P
    It’s just my opinion, when Roeder took over in Feb we were in relegation zone and finished 7th with the same squad and got into intertoto cup.

• 39 Santon03 // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Ian

Roeder has a brain tumour

• 40 RonVanDam // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM

The biggest difference between this season and last is that, this season I have to scroll all the down the bpl ladder to find my team lol

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Apr 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Jesper,
    Well said,there has been far to much neglect to say who replaced who,could be argued that Gouffran replaced Best,lover,Xisco and Ranger not to mention Sammy Ameobi who went on loan,so a one million profit and a hundred grand of the wage bill and they still under offered for PEA.Shambles.

• 42 Generic Commenter // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Tiote on the bench. He cant just stroll back into the team. Pardew talked up competition for places in January and thats how it should be

• 43 Ian Toon // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Yo-Yo Good Morning I share your frustration with the entrenched blogger. Just remember you cannot make a crab walk straight. It frustrates you and annoys the crab. On learning and knowledge it’s like the teacher reading up on the subject and only ever one chapter ahead of the class. Doesn’t function though without setting the agenda!

• 44 Ian Toon // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Santon – He’s fine now. I met him some months ago. He does the occasional radio work lives in Shenfield in Essex. Looks the same not put on too much weight.

• 45 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Tiote shouldn’t start. He’s been out and is in poor form.
    I’d like to see gouffran up front supported by cabaye hba and marveaux as interchanging cam roles.
    but I’d bet my bottom dollar on shola up front and Jonas on the left and tiote in cdm

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Ian Toon ,
    Have you read John Steinbecks ” The grapes of wrath “

• 47 Ian Toon // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Jail- Good morning. Yes it was one of the books in Literature at school. It exemplifies the need to come together in a common cause.
    You could view it as the toon fans uniting to survive relegation. Optimism over the I forget maybe the Jodes. I love American literature and have read a lot of John Irving of modern writers.
    Why? I now I am going to just love your response. Have to go . Enjoy your day.

• 48 Transfer Sage // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

its great tiote is back fit, good player when on form but i think on current form it’s only fair he is on the bench and we use somebody else, anita maybe as perch wasn’t great at west brom.

Competition is needed, we can’t just pick the same 11 regardless of form, it’s a terrible idea as players become complacent.

• 49 bills-son // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Irrespective of any fans view I’ve got no doubt that Ashley will sack Pardew if he believes he can’t take the club forward.

Fans who say Ashley has no ambition, is happy with mid table mediocrity, has no interest in the club, fans etc., etc., are talking out of their rrrrs.

He is one of the most successful, driven and highly organised business people in the UK and guys like Ashley never ever set their stall out for mediocrity. I judge Ashley since we got relegated and he decided to keep the club and run it himself. Since then we’ve had one bad season, this one, and I bet Ashley will reinforce the squad in the summer and make it plain to Pardew that no repeat of this season is acceptable.

Any fan who thinks Ashley is in any way haopy with how things are now has more bile than sense.

• 50 estechco // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM

While I think Tiote has had some poor performances of late, I actually thought he had a much better game against the Scum.

He’s clearly trying to balance the “enforcer” side with the “not getting booked” side, but that game I thought he got things just about right.

Think we need all of our purples on the pitch for this one!

• 51 toon22 // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM

If Tiote plays his problem is when he is passed to or wins the ball he then is expected to pass it like Cabye.
    What needs to happen is when he makes a challenge the nearest player to him should make himself available for a pass.
    Imo Tiote should be playing next to Sissoko ,if he is up the field Colo should close him down to recive the ball.
    Hes a good ball winner not a good passer but he isnt in the team to make killer passes is he.
    Every time he gets in trouble he looks like hes not sure where to pass the ball,thats the team/AP fault as if he playes the team must help him.

• 52 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Estechco
    Really have to disagree with that mate
    I know they all played badly but tiote put in one of the most disgraceful, gutless and passionless display I’ve ever seen from any player I’ve ever seen wearing a toon shirt
    He was truly awful, he let Johnson and Vaughn simply walk past him for 2 of there goals, if tiote vs Sunderland was an improved performance from him then he should never play again!!!!

• 53 jimmysmith // Apr 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Pards has been downplaying the prospect of relegation and the top brass also low key about it and somewhat responsible, even so in the outside chance we do go down, I think Ash might consider burning Pardews’ house down.

• 54 estechco // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM

@52 You’re perfectly entitled to disagree. There’d been a game a few weeks earlier, where most of my mates (sitting at various points around SJP) said he’d had a good game and I thought he’d had an absolute shocker.

Just goes to show we all see the game through different eyes?

• 55 perchy4england // Apr 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Can’t believe some people think winning is 2nd priority for Pardew over team selection haha!! What does he get out of picking his favourites then?

Definitely agree on Tiote, he’s lost his way this year but I don’t think he should be sold. Should be given next season at least to prove himself.

previous post: Newcastle Guilty Again Of Not Replacing Striker In January