The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good News – Ben Arfa May Start – Papiss Cisse 100% Fit

2:47 pm, Thursday, April 25th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

We need all the good news we can take right now – and there was good news from the training ground and Alan Pardew this afternoon – about Fabricio Coloccini, Cheick Tiote and Ben Arfa – and rather surprisingly he has said Papiss Cisse is fully fit and has trained well all week.

papiss cisse - I just scored fulham

Papiss Cisse - 100% fit

Alan took the training at St. James’ Park today, and he seemed upbeat, after he’s taken such a drubbing from fans since the Sunderland humiliation.

Alan also said Colo looked good in training, although he may not start on Saturday, but he’ll be back before the end of the season (maybe at West Ham next Saturday?), and that Papiss Cisse is fully fit ahead of the visit of Liverpool.

This is what Alan told the local press:

“It goes to show the conditioning of the player and the attitude of the player that he is in such good shape. I’m not sure he’s in my thinking for Saturday to start but he is in my thinking between now and the end of the season, for sure.”

“And Tiote has trained. He’s trained for three days and he looks in good shape if we decide to use him.” “Every day Ben Arfa’s getting closer.” “He’s worked a lot better this week.”

“And we’re hopeful that he’s going to make more of an impact, whether he starts or whether he comes off the bench, than he has in previous games.”

Ben Arfa was supposed to make only late substitute appearances through the end of the season – but maybe he can start in our two home games, where we may have the best chance of picking up some wins – to get us clear of the relegation zone.

That would be great and the lad’s a match winner and we need him in the side.

And it seems that Alan is a bit bemused by the news on Cisse earlier this week – that he has a cracked rib – and he had this to say about the Senegal striker, as far as the story about going to Paris to see a specialist we assume:

“I don’t know where that rumor came from. He’s trained all week and he’s trained all week well.”

So it seems that was a made up story about Papiss going to Paris on Monday and Tuesday – so where did that one come from?   In any case this is good news.

Finally, we’ve had reports of problems with some pop-up ads on the site, and we are looking into this – the site may have been hacked –  I know about it.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Fabricio Coloccini · Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 ichrisho // Apr 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Good News – Ben Arfa MAY Start – Oh whoop-de-doooooo… He MAY start… This is balls… what is he a part-timer…

• 2 catchy in norway // Apr 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

i hear pardew believes that there is no one in our squad good enough,
    so he has kept himself in shape, and gona put the boots back on,

just to teach them how to do it

• 3 thejokethatisnufc // Apr 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Whats with these stupid ads ED ? Pappis and Ben Arfa are monsters end of story really.

• 4 ichrisho // Apr 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Dude – is that really your username? WTF???

• 5 thejokethatisnufc // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I decided this name is suitable because this season has been an utter disgrace and a joke and after we lost to the scum i just thought this names suitable i will change it eventually if we avoid relegation which frankly i do not think we will.

• 6 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Good news – We need Arfa and Cisse.

• 7 Guj NUFC // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Hatem Papiss Yoan front 3 please, Alan!

• 8 thejokethatisnufc // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM

agree with GUJ

• 9 thejokethatisnufc // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Papiss demba cisse.

• 10 ichrisho // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Thats a shame – its not a cool or relevant username… I get your frustrations but that is just inciting bad feedback from folk… Oh well… I guess we ALL have given up hope this season… Will you change it for next season then?

• 11 JP...from The Rock // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Ben Arfa SHOULD START simple as that! He’s been out with a suspect hamstring injury and he has played coming off the bench in our last 3 games. Why in the hell would he not start in such a crucial game for us? He has had more than enough time to recuperate from his injury and setbacks.

It really is pathetic how we constantly rely on injury prone players every season. We keep riding our luck to the hilt and when it back fires then we all start moaning and crying, it’s bloody obvious we would be in this mess if we did not get sufficient cover for our ‘delicate’ bunch of players. They seem to be made of glass!!

tbf it also has something to do with our training methods, ground, of physios as we are always miles ahead in the injuries table.

But our constant reliance on injury prone players is nothing short of ludicrous.

• 12 Yorkgeordie // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Ed. When I log on to your site my security system tells me that there is something harmful trying to log on to my computer. I’m not that computer literate so I’m just passing this on for what it is worth. It only happens on this site and I’m given the chance to reject whatever it is.

• 13 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Right if Arfa is fit lets get back to 433 !!!

Elliot
    Debs
    Mbiwa
    Taylor
    Haidara
    Anita
    Cabaye
    Sissoko
    Arfa
    Gouffran
    Cisse

So simple this is as close to our best eleven as we can get at the moment but it will probably be Tiote Colo and Shola up front

If Marveux was fit I would probably have him replace Gouffran but that would be about it at the moment

• 14 Guj NUFC // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Agree JP, so frustrating waiting for players like HBA, Cabaye + Marveaux to be fit to win us games, then when they can’t do it all by themselves, people jump on their back (I.e Cabaye last few games)

• 15 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

5 points less than Swansea and we have played crap whole season. Laudrup have done well but not that well.

• 16 Yorkgeordie // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Erm, I’ve just read your last line. You know about it.

• 17 northernirishtoon // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I hope benny starts. Please let it be so

I also hope tiote is locked in the ladies toilets by accident. The sad thing is we all know if he’s fit he plays. He is due a good game though……….

There seems to be no news on marv. Wonder if we will see him before end of season

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Ben Arfa won’t start. Getting closer=Not going to be ready in time. For m, out of all of our top players he would be the one I sacrificed/sold to then create a better team by bringing in a few top players who will play and contribute more.

Yes, he is an excellent talent, but over his career has never had any consistency, and rarely actually scores or assists as many as a talent like his should. take the cash from PSG/Liverpool and reinvest it wisely.
    *Puts tin hat on*

• 19 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Tiote has been due that one big game a season!!!

Its not enough we need a big game from him every week and he just cant do it he should be warming the bench and other players should get a proper chance

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Also, unless Pards goes, which I think is unlikely, does anyone think we have seen the last of Marveaux?

• 21 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

@Lilong

I will be gutted if we sold Marveux the boy is a game changer if we could get a system that fits him, Cisse, Arfa, Anita and Cabaye in the same team we would smash teams next season

When i mean “system” I mean making sure they are all fit at the same time and Pardew drops Tiote and Jonas!!

• 22 Guj NUFC // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Liverpool may start with Gerrard and Lucas holding, if we play 4-3-3 with sissoko and tiote and cabaye I think we can outplay them in midfield

• 23 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Swansea have City,Chelsea and United, Wigan and Fulham left. A successful season can go sour if they do to bad games against Wigan and Fulham.

• 24 Rainrix // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Great now we can get beaten with better players on the pitch! :)

• 25 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

two

• 26 Jackel001 // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Lilongwe

Agree with that, get the money from his sales and bring in about 3 top top players

• 27 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Swansea, Wigan and West Ham seem have the worst schedule left. Then us.

• 28 Generic Commenter // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Good good good. Great to see us having options again. We seem to have good news this week whereas Liverpool are being shrouded with controversy. We have to capialize but if we DONT, I feel I may be closer to joining the darkside with the Pardew haters…

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Santon,
    I agree, Marveaux is a game changer, whether he does it often enough, I’m not convinced. I feel he goes missing when things don’t suit him. Which is why he has struggled to fit in Pardews team. I don’t think I have ever seen him have a good 90 minutes, the odd flash, or a 20 minute spell, but no more. I’m not saying it is all his fault, we don’t really play a style to suit him either. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave this summer.

• 30 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

If Swansea goes on a 5 match losing streak they might even get relegated. Would anybody want Laudrup then?

• 31 G // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I’m glad Cisse is 100% fit, only I’m worried, does that mean he is fully fit, or Pardew fit, which means he is tired? Just asking.

• 32 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

@ Sazzer

Don’t forget he has won a tropy this year though

• 33 Toon Tang // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Sazzer,
    f swansea gets relegated I will fly home and pose naked as an elf for the entirety of Fenwick Christmas Window.

In seriousness, Laudrup has a decent managerial CV, with 0 relegations so far. Pardew has a relegation on his. I disagree with the argument saying “look at Swansea, we could be in their place, winning a trophy and playing good footy if we changed manager” . It is a totally different set of circumstances. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good manager.

• 35 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

That’s true BPC and I think they will beat Fulham, Wigan and draw one of big boys. However, a bit of bad luck and they are championship side next season.

Michu get inspired and bite Ivanovic for no apperent reason.

• 36 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Laudrup
    36,41 % Wins
    26,09 % Draw
    37,50 % Losses

Pardew
    39,74 % Wins
    24,47 % Draw
    35,79 % Losses

• 37 Beattie25 // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Sazzer

In the summer Laudrup will get funds and buy better players. They will more forward.

What wil happen to us?

• 38 Beattie25 // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Sazzer

Do career statistics!

• 39 BigKirky // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Need to see Hatem back as soon as possible for sure.

• 40 Beattie25 // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Here’s a stat I posted yesterday:

In the history of our football club only 1 Newcastle United manager has a worse win % than Alan Pardew out of the managers who have been in charge of 100+ games.

That man was Bill McGarry who was in charge from 1977-1980.

Out of the managers that played 50+ games Pardews win % of 35.50% is the 3rd worst in our history behind Bill McGarry and Ruud Gullit.

There are the statistics.

• 41 thejokethatisnufc // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

ichriso yes i would change it trust me

• 42 Jackel001 // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Get Jürgen Klopp!!!!!

• 43 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I did career statistics you did Newcastle statistics.

• 44 Beattie25 // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Here’s some more stats I posted before:

Michael Laudrup :

Notable Clubs – Bronby, Lazio, Juventus, Barca, Real Madrid, Ajax

International – 104 games 37 goals playing in World Cup and European championships

Clubs managed – Bronby, Getafe, Spartak Moscow, Mallorca and Swanea (managed in Denmark, Spanish, Russia and England).

Awards as player & manager – Danish player of the year (multiple times), Danish league winner (multiple times), Danish Super cup, Serie A winner, La liga winner (multiple times), champions Leauge winner (equivalent), Uefa super cup, copa del rey, Eirdivise championship, Leauge cup, (individual rewards from fa’s, players associations or journalist unknown).

Alan Pardew:

Notable clubs – crystal palace, charlton and reading

International – 0 games or goals

Clubs managed – Reading, West Ham, Charlton, Southampton, Newcastle

Awards as player and manager – league 1 play off winner (equivalent), championship play of winner, Johnstone Paint trophy winner, Lma manager of the year, PL manager of the year.

Those last 2 see, impressive but this indicates the difference between a person who thinks he’s a winner and an actual winner.

• 45 Sazzer // Apr 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Beattie25
    That can be said about us as well.

• 46 Ketsbaia9 // Apr 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

We can’t afford to get rid of our best players. I’d rather see Cabaye leave for £15m than Marveaux.

• 47 pkk17 // Apr 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM

ketsbaia….how would selling arguably our best player help to not get rid of our best players?

• 48 cjtoon // Apr 26, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Lilongwe, funny you should mention selling ben-arfa myself and a few mates were discussing this and so i checked his stats. he has 3 goals and 4 assists this season in 18 appearances. Marveaux has made 35 appearances with 2 goals and 5 assists. this is a little bit skewed as ben arfa has had 1308 minutes and Marveaux 1931. so not quite what double the appearances would suggest in terms of actual pitch minutes.

I think its more of a case of getting to the bottom of our perennial injury crisis and getting the right tactics which allows both hatem and marv to have the freedom to really influence the game.

previous post: Aston Villa Forward A Newcastle Target This Summer