The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – I Have Absolutely No Problem With Criticism

11:47 pm, Thursday, April 25th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Some Newcastle supporters have simply not accepted Alan Pardew’s list of reasons for such a poor season in the Premier League, or the disastrous defeat against Sunderland at home almost two weeks ago – but it still seems like yesterday.

alan pardew man city

Alan Pardew – expects the criticism

And some Newcastle supporters don’t accept any excuses for Newcastle’s performances – we had enough excuses from Graeme Souness for why Newcastle did not perform when he was manager.

But then Glenn Roeder took over in February of 2006 and turned the season around – although Glenn lasted just over 15 months as Newcastle manager, before he was fired by Freddy Shepherd.

Alan Pardew today said he was not surprised at the criticism, and that it’s to be accepted at such a big club:

“When criticism comes at a big football club like this, you have to be big enough and bold enough to deal with it.” “Whether you’re the manager, the player, the chief executive or the chairman, it comes with the territory.”

“I’ve got absolutely no problem with that.” “There’s only one way to deal with it, and that’s through performances. Me talking means nothing.”

“At least last Saturday, at West Brom, I thought we got a performance that suggested that we had been hurt by losing to Sunderland.” “That’s how it should be.”

“This is about the club. This isn’t about me. It isn’t about any one person.” “We need three points to keep Newcastle United as a Premier League team next season.” “Then all the plans we have in place can move forward.”

And Alan was then asked if he thought the players he had on board were big enough to turn things around in the last four games of the season.

This is what the Newcastle manager said:

“Yes, I think they are. I think they’ve proved that.” “There’s a determination within the group and the most important thing this season now is to get over the line. “ “Anything else would be a bonus for us with the season we’ve had.”

With Luis Suarez not playing on Saturday against Newcastle, it takes away from Liverpool a lot of their goal-scoring power, with Luis having scored 23 of Liverpool’s 61 goals in the league.

Newcastle have been given some luck with Suarez out for Saturday, and we should take the opportunity and capture a valuable 3 points.

That would be great.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 toon22 // Apr 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Quote ““At least last Saturday, at West Brom, I thought we got a performance”
    Im not sure which performance he means?
    The first half of flowing attacking football
    Or the sencond half surrender

He must think people are either blind or stupid

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Apr 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Ok Pards,
    You’re a slimy cockney cnut, who has blatantly lied to us and then served us dross with the worst excuse being the Senaglese FA.

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

No doubt he will ignore the criticism and think he knows best as always. Prepare for hitting set pieces to the back post and playing Gutierrez week in week out FFS.

• 4 toon22 // Apr 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Just looking at the league table,Liverpool have 4 games left and are 11 points behind Spurs in 5th who have a game in hand
    So they would need to win all 4 games and hope Surs lose all 5 they have left to make it into 5th and the europa (think they wont want to play europa)
    All this means imo Gerrard might not play as he needs an operation,if he has it now its more likley he will be fit sooner next season

They dont actually have anything left to play for this season.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Apr 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Luckily I was only listening to the game last Saturday, I hope its better to watch this Saturday.

• 6 Tsunki // Apr 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM

‘Over the line’.. How confidence swells when that old chestnut gets wheeled out for another airing.

Here we are talking about making sure we are a PL team next season. All right, which one of you idiots suggested ambition is dead here?

• 7 Tsunki // Apr 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Jail – I think its like that old gag about having a good face for radio – we seem to have a good game for it. Watching it has been hell, though.

• 8 Tsunki // Apr 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I think, for a change, we should play Cabs deep just in front of the back four, have the fb’s flying up the wings until they are tackled, and keep putting crsses in to nobody. Cisse should stand offside, and our two best midfield playmakers should be on the Krispy Kreme regime and kept out of the team. Everyone to train at least once a fortnight.

• 9 Ketsbaia9 // Apr 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Play Anita and then the criticism will reduce slightly. You’re mad not playing him. Why keep playing Gutierrez, Tiote and Cabaye when they’re under performing? You’re too one-dimensional. Take notice of what I’m saying and we’ll be a premier league club next season.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Apr 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I can’t really comment on tactics they’re not my thing, I just want to see a good efffort on Saturday, ,ive got a mate coming up from Preston and a lad coming down from Glasgow, we’re sitting behind the goal in the Gallowgate and I want to see a good show.

• 11 peaco1980 // Apr 26, 2013 at 7:03 AM

To say “Me talking means nothing.” and to follow that up with:

“I thought we got a performance that suggested that we had been hurt by losing to Sunderland.”

show’s just how deluded he is. Pas-de-clue spouting off that the players are “hurting”; it’s just empty words, meaningless rhetoric.

“There’s only one way to deal with it [criticism], and that’s through performances.”

Then please stop talking such a good game and actually deliver us (the fans) one -we’ve been waiting most of the season to see one – you pea-narse.

• 12 Grafton83 // Apr 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Does he even know that we DREW against West Brom, he’s talking like smashed it. First half better, 2nd half same old same old.

I’m getting sick of this rubbish, can’t we start a collection to pay him out of his contract.

• 13 Ian Toon // Apr 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM

From previous
    Jail- @332 Good Morning. As I said yesterday I am a fan of empirical evidence but not your means of determining whether Ashley’s way is the right way. ( I’ve deliberately not followed my usual paint a picture style because it bores you rigid-Lol). As you chat to different people in your move around the ground I assume your chatting for the first time! Therefore as in any study/ questionaire it depends how the subject/question is fashioned/ raised and whether the other party wants to be seen to be agreeable. At times of poor team performance or whether we’re in sight of victory when you engage in the conversation. Or indeed whether you’ve given the fan an ear bashing and he just wants to watch the game(LOL). Assuming you’ve read this far and not fallen asleep let me tell you what I have observed. That is that the younger fan ( 35 and under) is less positive and supportive, of Ashley than the older fan. I’ll not go into why that might be. Many football issues are time related- with the you can only ever have one scapegoat at any one time. Very noticeably post mackem defeat the flack Pardew has had. Asking your fan at the game after Ashley failed to dig deep and then after he has you’ll get very different answers. As in the constant regurgitation debate on Pardew very little new is discussed. Certainly when statistics are increasingly presented by Catchy and Beattie you know they’ve lost the debate. As with most issues there’s shades of- not everything is right about Pardew or indeed wrong. Ibiza is right, to summarise simply a more cogent argument , Pardew hasn’t done enough wrong to justify being sacked.
    The Jury are still out as indeed they still are with Ashley.

• 14 pbandj // Apr 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If pardew is lucky enough to still be our manager come summer and the team stays in the Premier League, I can’t imagine him getting more than at the most 5-10 games to prove that this year was a fluke. All the teams around us have changed managers this season but we seem to be sticking with Pards, but he better prove Ashley right by at least having the team top 8 after 10 games next season

• 15 nufc 11 // Apr 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Id say if you went through interviews with sacked PL managers, I wonder how many of them have used injuries as an excuse? Dont get me wrong I like AP, but looking forward it dosent fill me with confidence, the players look under motivated at the moment and sometimes you have to call a spade a spade weather he stays or goes will depend on the remaining games IMO.

previous post: Davide Santon Out For Season – Haidara To Get Run In Side