New Frenchman Could Become Newcastle Captain

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa met with the local press yesterday, but his English is not yet good enough to take the news conference in English, so he had an interpreter with him, but we hope he’ll soon be able to speak to the press in English, as he hones in on hos language skills this summer.

mapou yanga mbiwa anzhi

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – in action against Anzhi

We think this lad will turn out to be a great signing for Newcastle, once he settles in at the club, and he’s a real leader on and off the pitch, and of course captained Montpellier to the French Championship for the very first time last season.

He talked about how people love their football in England, and about the Suarez incident last Sunday:

“This country really loves its football, it seems like it’s one of the biggest things in life here. In France perhaps it’s a bit more of a minority who take football that seriously.”

“It’s a massive change to come from a country where there’s not quite as much interest.” “It’s a shame there was an unfortunate incident on the pitch last Sunday, one which could hurt someone’s career, but for me the main thing is people live for football here. “

“That’s a huge change for me.” “I’m perhaps a bit disappointed not to be facing Suárez, you always want to come up against the best players in the world.”

“From the point of view of getting the three points, though, perhaps it’s an advantage for us that he’s not on the pitch.” “As a professional, though, you always want to play against the very best.”

It’s good that Suarez is not playing today, and it gives us a better chance of winning this important  game, and that would be a nice change since we’ve only won two of our last seven league games and lost four of them. 🙁

And when that four letter word relegation is brought up – well it seems like a four letter word – Mapou thinks Newcastle have some fantastic players in the current squad.

“We have fantastic players and a lot of confidence, we haven’t lost any of that.” “We work hard in training, and we’re serious out there.” “It is important we stick together until the last match.”

“And even if we’re playing against one of the best five team in the league we’ll still be confident we can go out and get a result.” “It’s also very important to remain really together.”

Among staff, players and team-mates, we have to have the attitude that we’re all in this together.” “Whenever we go out on the pitch, we have to know we’re involved in a battle and make sure we give our all for 95 minutes in each match.”

There’s Mapou’s leadership coming out, and down the road this lad could make a great captain at the club – but he will need to improve his English language skills.

We are hoping Mapou has a very good game today – since we must defend very solidly against Liverpool if we are to get the result we need today – a win.

Let us know how you think the game will go today.

How Will We Fare Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Mapou for manager?

Seems an honest, hard working and talented player. Whether at Newcastle as a stepping stone or not, he is a class act and having him here is brilliant.

He ain’t no Willo mind.

• Jamesthefirst

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No chance as Captain. Every fan and even the board know who our leader is. Cabaye will be our captain next season. Our most influential player by a country mile.

• archaeomag

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Not going to hex the game by voting!

ED – is it just me or have your Ads got more aggressive ?

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

James..That is probably true. To be honest though, I find Cabayes temperament a little worrying at times. Have felt that he should have been dealt with a little more harshly at times, but maybe it’s that face that’s getting him away with it and maybe that’s why he’s the perfect captain? 🙂

• outsidethebox

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

toon will not let a contracted collo leave for free.. position needs answer….
    toon conceded too many goals and didn,t score enough from set plays ..new coach needed
    toon need quality cover in cb position ..left footed
    toon need another striker….
    hope all sorted by next season

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

arch…Are they demanding money? Have they used excessive force? Do you need some muscle to back you up?

• archaeomag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Ibiza
    They take me to strange places, show me pictures of girls, and encourage me to place bets on sporting events – which as we know in a sin.

• WWYCD

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

No it’s Captain Cabaye, Mbwia may get vice over Saylor though

• NUFCarter

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Wolves could pretty much be down today, their poor goal difference is poor and if other teams win around them they will be in deep do do.
    Its amazing to think they could be in league 1 next season blackburn aren’t safe either. Portsmouth in league 2 is a shock aswell didnt seem too long ago that they were in the prem.
    I think if Wigan go down, we wont b seeing them in a long time. They will be a mid table championship side if that and they’ll lose the few top players they have like mccarthy and kone.

Also, these ads are getting on my nerves, it takes me about three attempts to get on to an article without some local slags advert coming up haha. i know these adverts get you alot of money Ed because you deserve about 80k a year for keeping this blog up, but they have suddenly started jumping out at you.

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Not a lot of optimism in those votes…..Pardew really must do better or go. Article in Irsh Times today saying that there was a wave of anger from the fans, kept internally by fans, especially those who had witnessed the Brighton joke. Then Sunderland lit the fuse. Gotta say I’m getting sick of Pardew. The levels of motivation on the pitch at brighton said much about the respect the second team has for him. Wonder what excuses he will roll out today? Liverpool are a good team ….we was tired…..Krul is a huge loss…..the Senegal FA are bold boys….Cabaye is tired….etc etc as he backs off a one goal lead and loses 1-2 to a late Sturridge strike. Sorry chaps, not good sleep last night and a boozy night at home…..

• archaeomag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

@ Outside – I heard we got/getting a new coach [. . insert bus joke here. . ]

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

And if we lose today, the Irish Times is saying the crowd will turn on him, as fans are now forcibly questioning his ability. I reckon its come full circle….his first win v Liverpool, and if / when we lose today , the crowd will bay for blood.

• Black and White with an army lol

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

i voted for us to lose , as much as i want Newcastle to win today i just don’t see happening because jonas will start and Pardew will set up a defensive play which ain’t good enough IMO

Basically what i’m saying is

Jonas starts we lose
    Jonas benched we win

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

arch…Do they pay? If so, sounds like a decent enough time.

Munster…I’ll try and avoid capital letters as I imagine the head is a little sore 🙂 Maybe not as much optimism as usual, but still a majority…at the minute anyway. I’m prepared to be shocked today – I reckon we’ll get a brand new excuse, one we’ve not heard before…brace yourself.

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Ibiza, Mapou hasnt looked class to me. At all. Mind you, I said Santon was a shit defender from day 1 and it took a while for people to wake up to him.

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Ibiza, 53% say we wont win against a team with nothing to play for…when we have so much to play for …says a lot. Massive match for Munster too today, against the mighty Clermont of France….COME ON MUNSTER!!!

• ashwin say's

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

hi i m ashwin ,big time nufc fan
    follow me on twitter ashwin kr singh @ashvnsng https://twitter.com/ashvnsng
    i will follow you back for views and news on nufc

and keep it up Edd

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Munster…That’s an interesting point. Funny how things work out. Maybe he can repeat the unexpected again today.

• peaco1980

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Arch – I second your sentiment regarding the aggressive ads:

Regarding the match, I (like everyone else) would really like to see us demolish them today. Unfortunately, I just can’t see it happening, unless there’s been an epiphany at training this week, and we’ve discovered how top pass, move, cross and work set pieces.

• archaeomag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Ibiza – very disappointed to discover girls on the net are even less real then those I meet real life. . .

• bills-son

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Fans keep saying Pardew is clueless and the players keep saying the squad is motivated and confident – wonder who’s right?

• Black and White with an army lol

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

i think Santon is a epic player, he runs past his player, he can cross and he likes to cut in for a goal, if he started to work on his defense and his finishing he could become the best LB in the world and big teams like Barca, Madrid, Man city and PSG with a sh!t loads of money will throw cash at him.

• ToonHeart

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Sorry for repeat post….

TO ED**** I’m getting lots of pop ups and page diverts recently on your site. I do love coming here reading the news several times a day, this is starting to get quite frustrating..
    Also, I work for an ISP. when I check my NUFCblog news at work my Anti Virus finds small Trojan’s from your site?!?
    Any reason for this??

• Black and White with an army lol

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

wouldn’t it be great today if we won 3-0 against Liverfool and all 3 goals came from corners lol

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Munster….I think he looks really assured on the ball. Granted there have been some shaky moments from him and he is not the finished article, but still young (this is sounding familiar actually 🙂 ). He’s only been here 3 months, will have language issues, a constantly changing LB (Santon, Jonas & Haidara), I think he’ll come good.

I shouldn’t have said majority 🙂 I’m amazed half the people (approx) think we’ll win, confidence doesn’t appear to be flowing through the toon army right now, understandably so.

Tough game today, but we can win. GO MUNSTER!

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I wake up every Saturday with a surge of positive energy running through me powered by a love of NUFC, I forsee us ripping teams apart and getting back to winning ways then spend the next few days hurting at the lack of passion, tactical nous and missed chances…

Is this how bi-polar feels?
    Pardew in
    Pardew out
    Pardew shake it all about

• archaeomag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Munster – I think the Irish Times are closet machams . . and are just stiring it
    . . but for me a lot will depend on the performance – even if we don’t win – I want to see effort and fight

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Peaco

‘When the missus asks you what you’re looking at, and you reply ‘NUFC Blog’ , and she takes the laptop off you and “Local Sl@gs” is on the screen – it’s not ideal. I now fully expect to be grounded for a while!’

Close the pop up down right away and you avoid such scenarios with the wife… stop perving on the ‘local slags’ haha

• archaeomag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

@Ibiza – wow – orgasmic hair

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Black and white…I watch every game not expecting to, but completely wishing we’d score from a corner. It surely has to happen at some stage?

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

arch…Pretty special stuff. Makes me think Colo just doesn’t try hard enough. Colo out!

• Black and White with an army lol

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Ibizatoon – Back By Popular Demand

mate it’s not just confidence from the fans that we could win today IMO i think it’s because Newcastle is the most predictable team in the PL and could win any game with the lowest odds for instant look at last season when we beat teams like Man u, Chelsea 3-0 and 2-0 and Liverfool 2-0 against these teams you would expect to get dominated especially against Man u and look what happened

• Krul to be Kind

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM

On the Valderama pics If anyone is into football documentaries I highly recommend a show called the 2 Escobars, the full show is on youtube and is a magical watch on the rise and fall of Columbian football

Highly highly recommended if you have a spare hour or so, it shows the highlights of one of the copa libertadores finals in the 80’s which is the football version of rocky!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Interesting article in Independent today –
    ‘Five battle to avoid the Last Drop Spot’
    – Mackems, Toon, Stoke, Villa and Wigan
    I would add Norwich in the mix with their goal dif
    But – they have Villa relegated on 38 pts – Wigan safe on 39
    us safe on 41 with
    draw against West Ham and Win at QPR

Hoping their right.

Not looking forward to today nerves are starting to kick in – think dippers will be up for it today after the Saurez incident

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

black and white…Do you mean we’re unpredictable in that we can just turn up some days and do the unthinkable?

Krul…Sounds a good one. Will take a look.

• davetoon

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

arch – just use firefox and adblock

• peaco1980

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

@ Krul to be kind – I’m not quick enough damn it!

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Billson, what do you expect players to say, given the fortume they are earning. If you are that confident about Pardew, why dont you put forward a defence for him?

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Four letter Word: ?

“Relegation”? I voted for a win today lads?

I just refuse to believe that we will go down !
    ( That is Four letters )