The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – I Just Find That Insulting If I’m Honest

7:39 pm, Thursday, May 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 121 Comments

In his press conference this afternoon, Alan Pardew seemed to be a little upset at some of the questions he was getting, based on the news that’s been reported in the papers over the last few days, most of which is probably untrue.

sylvain marveaux wigan

Sylvain Marveaux – out for the season

Alan did report on injuries and said both Tim Krul and Sylvain Marveaux are out for the season, but that Italian International Davide Santon has a slight chance to be fit before the end of the season, and he reported yet another hamstring injury – this time to 20 year-old Massadio Haidara.

One question from a journalist got Allan’s ire raised – and it was whether the foreign players knew how important it was for Newcastle to stay in the Premier League.

This is how the Newcastle manager answered that question:

“I just find the accusation that players doesn’t realize staying in the Premier League is important – it’s insulting if I am honest.” “If you think because some of our players are from a foreign country, they are not bothered, it’s just ridiculous.”

“Of course they are bothered. Our frustrations and our professionalism are on the line. But we have our destiny in our own hands, no-one else, and only we can put it right.”

And more than once is the session Alan was asked how many wins or how many points did he think it would take for Newcastle to be safe and he kept answering that he had absolutely no idea, and it was important that Newcastle and the team concentrate on what they had to do – and not worry about what other teams may or may not do.

As far as we are concerned that was an excellent answer, because we should be going all out to secure our safety based on what the team can do – and not hope that teams like Wigan don’t win.

That’s the right approach for sure – and we just hope the lads can bring home the bacon in the last three games – and we need some points on the board badly because was have just one point from our last three games.

And our goal difference has been made worse by a full nine goals – so it would be good if we can score a few goals – but somehow we don’t see that happening.

But if Newcastle can win on Saturday at West Ham and Wigan are beaten at West Brom – that probably would make Newcastle safe.

We hope that happens. :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Davide Santon · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference · Sylvain Marveaux · Tim Krul

121 responses so far ↓

• 1 BigKirky // May 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Unfortunately Alan, OUR future is in YOUR hands, even with your baffling tactics.

• 2 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

@ spoof

“being in that team last year doesn’t make him a good player” ? . You’ll be telling me Van Persie is rubbish next :) . We should go for this back four for the rest of the season as 3 of the 4 got us a lot of clean sheets last season.

–Simpson——–Taylor——–Collo——–Haidara–
    (M’biwa for Haidara on Saturday)

I just don’t get this sudden hate for Collo as a player (not talking about his personal issues) . He is in my top 3 CB’s I have ever seen at the club and we need him back in the starting 11 IMO.

• 3 Spoof // May 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

This public trial of Alan Pardew and his dressing room is now starting to get rather boring, I feel its time to move on and concentrate on Saturday’s match

• 4 KevinHann // May 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Does anyone know of a particular reason we have been having so many injuries? It’s become a common issue for us and plays a massive part to how competitive we are in the league.

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• 5 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Kevinhann,
    I think your kind of spooky, cold in the night suggest you could be a serial killer or you’re Mrs works night shift and turns the heating off on the way out.

• 6 KevinHann // May 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Jail for Ashley – it gives some depth to a conversation, doesn’t it :)

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• 7 Spoof // May 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM

BPC, your twisting my words m8, that’s rather naughty, getting into that team doesn’t mean you are a bad player, it just doesn’t mean that you are good, just like being manager of the year doesn’t automatically mean that you are a good manager
    As I have only been using this site for a short while its natural that you wouldn’t know my opinion of him prior to that, but apart from when in the Championship against poor quality sides I have never rated the guy, its often said that a good player doesn’t become bad overnight, well at the same time a bad player doesn’t become good over night either, especially when they are aged 25 years or more, think back to Colo’s first season, and look at him now, he is still as poor now as he was then, last season he looked decent at the start of the season, as did the whole of the defence, that was not due to good defenders, that was due to Pardew playing with 2 banks of 4 which gave the defenders a huge amount of protection, without that protection you see Colo for what he is, and that is a poor defender

• 8 hdavid23 // May 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

still no reaction from anyone on my suggestion… how about Hitzfeld if Mike really fires Pardew at the end of the season?

• 9 toon22 // May 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM

One reason for all our injuries is the fact we buy players with very poor injury records,some we have bought while injured.
    Its a policy which helps get players cheap,and in some cases makes them easier to sign as less clubs want them.
    Also imho our players just dont seem as fit as other teams,whoever is responsible for fitness/medical side of the team needs looking at,maybe send a team to a German club to find out which direction we should go in.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Kh,
    Yes we need spooky on here as we have pretty much every other character trait.

• 11 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

what the hell is he doing in training? More injuries, worse performances. Nothing being checked as we slide inexorably
    under this buffoon. Which other club would stand for it.

Boater

how the hell is my team anything like Pardews
    I would play 433 and wouldn’t have 3 x DMs Tiote, Jonas and Perch and 10 men staying in their own half most of the game. Truly a statement of outstanding muppetry.

• 12 KevinHann // May 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM

hdavid23 – if we go for a high profile name, I’d take Benitez. He has plenty of experience in the league and would give us a fresh start suggesting ambition. And he certainly has drawing power.

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• 13 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM

@ spoof

I’m not twisting your words I am just pointing out that there is talent in last years team of the season and Collo was in it. Pardew only won manager of the year because we overachieved with the team we had not necessarily his management skill.

Who do you suggest we play at the back then ? . The same team that got our worst home defeat for 80 odd years. I’m not saying Collo is the future but who else do we have at the minute that is better ? .

• 14 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

hdavid,
    Do you really think Mashley will fire Pardew, I’ve got an orrible feeling that he has got this stability thing in his plans and is going to see it through.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Rotonda,
    I think we all know that you don’t like Pards or his tactics ;)

• 16 hdavid23 // May 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Jail,
    there were rumours going around here that he will fire Pards, and also that Benitez is coming… I’d rather have Hitzfeld tho, better manager

• 17 toon22 // May 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Hitzfeld is 64 and the manager of Switzerland for the last 5 years,and has no experience in the UK.Iirc cant speak English.
    Rafa is 54 and un employed in the summer,has won things in this country.Can speak English and has just proven he can sort out a mess of a club.

• 18 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

toon 22

Our fitness levels are shocking which results in injuries.
    Also I suspect Pardew does not do ”passive” training like professional teams but rather lets the players go in no holds barred with disastrous results.

• 19 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I would go for Benitez or Jupp Henynkkes. Both out of jobs at the end of the season and they have been successful in the past unlike Pardew.

• 20 fatash // May 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Nowt we can do other than support the team, I don’t think Ashley reads these blogs anyway so lets get behind the lads.

• 21 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Jail

Ditto for you and Ashley. lol!

• 22 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM

BPC,
    It was disgraceful when he said he talked to Brendan Rodgers after the game and Brenda sympathised and said I know what your up against with a crowd like that after we apparently bood the one good pass we made ? And when he was on about the French players ” bless em ” I nearly puked into me rosebush.

• 23 Spoof // May 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

BPC, I have to admit that he is not as bad as I have described, I do feel he is way over-rated so I am guilty of going OTT with my critism, with who we have available I would play him, as bad as he is he is still better than Willo, Perch and Simpson, so its a case of whose left, we touched on a 3 man defence which won’t happen so for a back 4 I would go with Mbiwa Taylor Colo Jonas.

• 24 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM

@ spoof

Fair enough m8 . You just wonder whether his experience might be good for the team as well with him being the only 30 plus player in defence. I reckon he would have been organizing the back four after a couple went in against Liverpool as the lads didn’t seem to care last weekend.

• 25 toon22 // May 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Playing Taylor is suicide,he had a big bust up with AC.Its best not to give him a target he hates.Imo Williamsons a better option,he also has played a fair few games with Colo.
    Id go Simmo Coll Willo Mbwia at the back,i would also recall Stever harper in goal,we are going to need a bit of expericnce in goal for this one,they are going to try and batter us.

• 26 Spoof // May 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM

BPC, and thats the exact reason why I would play Jonas, he has been dreadful all season, but his experience could be priceless over the next 3 games

• 27 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM

BPC,
    I can’t knock your enthusiasm but when you compare the CVs of Pardew and JFK with the other two sorry mate but two are Nike and the other two are Gola.

• 28 toon22 // May 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM

As for Jupp Henynkkes i agree would be fantastic but theres not a chance.
    He will end up at R.Madrid or the like after this seasons CL
    Everyones heard of him now.

• 29 low fell mag // May 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Funny thing this football milaarky (dont know if thats a word,but it sounds sort of right).I have just sat down with a cuppa and the Chelsea game has started on the tele . The wife says Oh Christ ,not football again ,Eastenders is on the other side,.I then replied turn it over ,pet im not really into football at the minute.The look i got off her was a sight to see,she then replied you have never stopped talking all day at work ,all day since August actually.My reply to that is, Newcastle United are part off your life and family.So come you b@stards put it right for these last 3 games.

• 30 hdavid23 // May 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

toon22,
    he’s been a great well-known manager for a long time now, would be great… either him or Hitzfeld and I’d be over the moon

• 31 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM

toon22 @ 9 you cant say that all the players we buy are injury prone.. the problems we are having with injuries have been happening for years.
    They put it down to bad surfaces at the training ground and had a new pitch laid, but its still happening, i put it down to training methods.
    My son is a physio at millwall , he also covers for the strength and conditioning coach, very rare do they suffer injuries in training , if they do it is niggly little things , nothing like hamstrings or kenny jacket would have them in his office wanting to know why such an injury occurred . newcastle are doing something wrong

• 32 bills-son // May 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Watching the Benfica v Galatasaray game and the fact is we played very well against Benfica away and only lost because of Cisse missing a sitter and two bad goals.

At home we came very close to turning it around and winning before Benfica got the break away goal.

Pardew managed that team and how the hell we’ve gone from threatening Benfica – who are a top team – to those terrible performances against Sunderland and Lpool is not as easy as ‘Pardew is fkn useless’.

• 33 nufcursed // May 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM

i’m watching the benfica game and i have to say:
    we should buy salih uçan!!!
    what a superb player, controls the midfield, only 19years and would be fairly cheap…
    mark my words: this will become one of the best players of europe in the future no doubt!
    if any newcastle scouts are reading this, take a look at him!
    salih ucan is the name

• 34 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Bills,
    I think Pards should be sent downstairs and only brought up to manage European games, squad rotation of managers if you like.

• 35 bills-son // May 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Jail – oustanding idea. Pure geneearse :-)

• 36 jimmysmith // May 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

It’s strikes me as ironic that the support for Newcastle is so intense and genuine yet so much that surrounds the club is grubby and unscrupulous.

Maybe that’s why we are considered the most deluded fans in the country. We really are taken for granted and taken advantage of year in year out and yet we keep coming back for more.

At this point I would gladly support a fan ownership model, what ever the consequences.

• 37 kevymartins // May 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

@Nufccursed now that’s funny I don’t know what game your watching but im watching benfica vs fernabache

• 38 kevymartins // May 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM

@Nufccursed That’s my bad was the comment before your aimed at bill-son

• 39 Munster Mag // May 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Billson, its a good qyestion. Maybe our players are more suited to Europe. Still, we could easily have lost the last 3 games in europe and it wouldnt have been a major surprise. Pardes a funny one. He talks a good game and witters on about the group etc and it all sounds fine, but then match day comes and he oicks under performing guys like Tiote, and never rams home an advantage etc etc. It would be great if we got a bit of luck, and Cisse found top form. I dont buy the injuries bit, in part anyway. If Cabaye had managed to play more earlier games, he’s probably be out now with injury. I wonder why we get so many injuries, There has to be something causing it within the club as we can ussume we dont buy players with bad history records generally ….

• 40 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

i hope pardew is watching the chelsea game,
    that is how you do a half time team talk. 1-0 down at half time- 6 mins gone in 2nd half- 2-1 up, thats hows you do it pardew , you useless piece of s//t.

• 41 AndyNUFC // May 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM

1. Speaks French and learning English so he can manage here.
    2. Won the league, with Mbiwa as captain.
    3. Managed French u21 for years and could influence young players like Belhanda to join.
    4. Out of contract end of the season so no compensation to appoint him.

Thoughts?

• 42 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Luiz starting to look a class act as a DM. Puts Tiote to Shame. I think Cheik has the ability to be a better player but he gets caught up in all the tough guy act and is starting to lose his basic skills.

• 43 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM

why is it that this Saturday i’m 100% certain that jonas will play left back and MYM will be benched???!

• 44 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM

3-1 to chelsea, and chelsea fans slate benitez .- what a load of plonkers ! i just dont get them !

• 45 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

@ black and white

Because Gutierrez is Pardews illegitimate love child :) , didn’t you know ;)

• 46 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

if Benitez came to us could he be our local hero?

• 47 northernirishtoon // May 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Look at Chelsea’s two dms 2nite

Lampard and luiz

Ours against Liverpool……..

Perch and tiote

Says it all!

• 48 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Big Pappa Cissé

nice1 mate but unfortunately very true

• 49 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

@ northern Irish

I know m8. The sad thing is we could have fielded Sissoko & Anita as our DM’s and they aren’t half bad at all. But Pardew clearly knows something we don’t.

• 50 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

stuart no9

c’mon mate it’s Chelsea fans for ya, they will never be happy unless money buys them wins same as Man city

• 51 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Another sub from Benitez: Chelsea 3-1 up and he puts on Oscar to keep up the attack rather than sit back and invite pressure on the back four for the last 20 minutes. Pardew would never do that in a million years and is the reason he will never be a top manager.

• 52 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM

black and white @ 46—– hes mine already !
    If we stay up , we could be watching football like this next season ! I’m off to dream !!!!!!

• 53 BigKirky // May 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Here’s a snippet from that article about Benitez’s in depth tactics which I posted last week if you missed it. It was a really good read I thought:

To have your overall shape working successfully – ie defensively and offensively – there is one thing you need to use as the ‘blending’ platform – the midfield zone. This zone is crucial to everything that is happening during all phases of play, but especially during the transitioning one. Without that zone working well your team could either be too open in defence or lacking the required platform to move forward and attack assertively; or both.

At Valencia, Inter and now Chelsea Benitez used players between the lines with the profile of traditional playmakers, increasing the onus on possession based football. Something that goes to defy the myth the Spaniard is defensive manager, counting on counter-attacks and generally rigid and a boring way of attacking. To compensate for the lack of direct attacking input of the player between the lines, whose brief was to primary create from that zone, not break forward and head into the box to finish off the team moves, Benitez always had his wide players pushed higher.

At Valencia Kily Gonzalez and Angulo, despite being natural wingers (and not wide forwards), played with added attacking verve. Often they would be seen driving infield to get on the end of the attacking move. This was due to the playmaking presence of Aimar between the lines, who’s main aim was to roam all over the third to create for his teammates.

Here’s the full article:

• 54 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM

HWTL

• 55 northernirishtoon // May 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM

BPC

If we only we had an attacking minded manager. The potential of our squad could be realised.

If he hasn’t learnt anything from the last few games the we are fcuked

• 56 davis_toons // May 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM

On Tiote
    “tough guy act and is starting to lose his basic skills.”

True, that because of improper guidance.

• 57 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

stuart no9

it’s alright mate iv’e called myself Rafa Benitez on Fifa and we are top already lol

• 58 AndyMac // May 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Black and White with an army lol
    “i think in seasons to come Chelsea and Man city fans will weep because there team will start going down especially with this Fair plays rules coming through meaning they can’t spend billions a season whilst the mighty TOON look for quality signings on the cheap and started to climb the ladder”

I’d ask the Doctor for a larger dose of whatever you’re on ???????

• 59 northernirishtoon // May 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Black and White with an army lol

Love your optimism pal

Here’s hoping

• 60 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Black and wh lol,
    I hope you’re not a window cleaner if you think we are climbing ladders correctly.

• 61 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM

The rich get richer in football I’m afraid, much like life in the real world. I’m sure we wouldn’t be complaining if we had an owner dropping 30 million like its’ spare change but what can you do.

On Chelsea I reckon they are gunna be challenging for the PL again when Mourinho inevitably comes back in the Summer as Abramovic will most likely give him the funds for someone like Falcao or Cavani. and with:

——Oscar——–Mata——–Hazard

—————-Falcao/Cavani———-

They are going to be some side. I just wish we could see true world class players pulling on the black & white stripes, but unless they are home grown or we are taken over by an Oil Sheik I can’t see it happening I’m afraid :( .

• 62 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

AndyMac

my lass is back from hospital mate and she’s my lucky charm she went in the night before the derby game and we got hammered then she came home the night before we played west brom and we drawed but then she caught an infection in her appendices after the surgery on the friday before the Liverpool match and we got hammered once again, so she is back home now so hopefully she can bring luck for our team

P.S i took her to all of our home games in the euro’s and i don’t think we lost a game

• 63 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM

BPC,
    I often wonder what it would be like to be owned by a real billionaire.

• 64 Transfer Sage // May 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM

financial fair play will do nothing but keep the top clubs and the top and stop smaller sides from ever challenging.

man city and chlsea already have top sides so can manage to cope in ffp by bringing in just one or two.

Also city are making a huge academy so are looking to bring their own through long term, they will challenge for years to come.

• 65 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

also lads she came in my game room to watch the second half against Chelsea and we won 3-2

• 66 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

B&w lol,
    I took our lass to Accrington Stanley one night and we won, unfortunately she hated it.

• 67 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

andymac–on black and white-

I’d ask the Doctor for a larger dose of whatever you’re on ???????
    hes on top of the league with rafa benitez, leave him alone hes doing alright ! lol.

• 68 Transfer Sage // May 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

when you think chelsea are 3rd, not far from 5th and their bes midfield/attack is

—–luiz—-lampard—–
    hazard–mata—oscar
    ———-torres———-

and ours is

—-anita–sissko——
    hba—-cabaye–marv
    ———cisse———-

we are miles off them.

• 69 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

TS,
    I read a great article once that explained very simply exactly that mate.

• 70 mackas7 // May 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Of course they are bothered, I’m just a f**king s**te manager.

• 71 alanrichie // May 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Just got back from the gym, looks over my shoulder and theres Davide Santon smashing the bench!

Surreal situation, he seemed to be walking fine.. I gave him an approving nod. His english is quite good.

For all curious its Paramount Gym @ Bedlington. Hes been there the last 3 nights.

• 72 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

@ Jail

I would imagine much less stressful knowing you will win a lot more games than you lose and it would most likely bring success if done correctly. I would rather we went the Dortmund route and put together a title winning side for 30 million quid but that is fairy-tale stuff.

I think NUFC fans deserve success more than any other team in Europe IMO and that’s not just because I have black & white tinted glasses on, The city lives and breathes football and things like losing to Sunderland and losing in general can ruin peoples and my entire week. Not saying we should be challenging for the PL title every year but a cup win here and there and regular CL football would keep me more than happy. We have been a sleeping giant for too long.

In the words of Jay Z

“It’s a hard knock life” :)

• 73 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

alanrichie

mate what do you mean “smashing the bench”
    Pardews face wasn’t imprinted on it was it? lol

• 74 Transfer Sage // May 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM

jail

exactly…its all about not making a loss…big teams make more money from champs league, merchandise, bigger gate etc so have more to spend….smaller teams can’t spend much unless they bring through players and sell a few a year to make money from it.

Then does anyone really think UEFA’s sponsors are going to sign up to contracts to pay them the same amount if there is a chance munich, barca, marid, man utd etc might get booted out the cup…no chance.

• 75 Transfer Sage // May 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM

big pappa

dortmund did well to win the league but bayern saw this and then spent to make sure they won it in a record time with a 20 point cussion

the same would happen in england, man utd and city would just spend huge fees or buy the players off us.

• 76 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM

just finished watching the chelsea game– get rid of pardew now,the sooner rafa comes the better- it pi””es me off watching managers do their job properly .

• 77 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM

This could work out well, Pards will not get sacked in the summer because he has agreed to be the mannequin of stability, Rafa might get the Chelsea job if he wins the EL and finishes third, however if he doesn’t win the first six games of next season he will be sacked and after Pards has taken one point from his first six (against Chelsea ironically) he will be reluctantly fired.
    Voilà.

• 78 bills-son // May 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I said a few days ago there was more chance of the Pope managing the Toon than Benitez, now….

I’m not so sure. Why?

Because I believe Ashley IS hugely ambitious.

Because I believe he WILL have seen Pardew’s limitations.

Because I believe Benitez won’t get a top club in the Prem or Europe – he is ‘old news’ now for the really big boys – and I think he knows it.

Because we have 50,000 fans who would worship and immortalise a manager who won them a trophy – and Benitez CRAVES that immortality.

Because I believe he would rather manage in the Prem than anywhere else – this is where you really pit yourself against the best and Benitez believes he IS one of the best.

Because we have got players who Benitez knows are the basis of a top quality team.

Having said all of that I can’t make up my mind whether I want Benitez or not – he aint got charisma thats for sure – but I really do think he could come here. I really do.

• 79 jimmysmith // May 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Fascinating that with all our travails we were so close to participating at this stage of the Europa League were the quality is so high.

Football is a game fine margins and we do have a competitive squad. Improved management and infrastructure is an imperative.

• 80 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM

TS

i read some where that if teams don’t follow the rules they will get points taking of them and i can guarantee the top teams will get points taken off them

• 81 Christoon // May 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

• 82 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

@ Sage

Yeah m8 I know. Just look at Man U. They lose the title then go out and buy the best striker in the League and cruise it the following season. Just like that :)

• 83 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

stuart no9

mate you took the words out of my mouth, i was watching the game thinking that Rafa could make us play like this but hey time will tell

• 84 nufc786 // May 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Newcastle United are hugely disappointed by the article that appeared in The Sun on Wednesday, 1st May, concerning Hatem Ben Arfa, on the basis that their assertion was totally without foundation and completely untrue.

• 85 jimmysmith // May 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Benitez really would lift us a notch, which might be all we need to gather real momentum.

Doesn’t he still own a house in Liverpool?

• 86 nufc786 // May 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Christoon
    u beat me…

• 87 cyprus // May 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Benfica not a bad outfit. We would’ve beaten Fenerbache…

• 88 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM

bills-son

well said mate

• 89 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM

jail @ 77 – then rafa gets the job?????

• 90 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Bills,
    That’s where you and I don’t see eye to eye sometimes, I dont think Mike Ashley is any where as near ambitious regarding our football club as he is in the world of business.

• 91 cyprus // May 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM

@78,
    So there is a chance the Pope may be managing the toon… I’d rather have Jesus, the coach of Benfica.

• 92 Christoon // May 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM

@ nufc786 haha surprised myself there too

• 93 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

@ christoon

Those papers won’t sell themselves :) . Just goes to show some people will believe anything they read and whoever fabricated that story should either

a) be sacked on the spot
    b) personally apologize to Benny and NUFC club and fans.

@ bills

You would think there is some manager out there that would want to be treated like a God for bringing us a trophy. I would probably name one of my kids after the guy who does it :)

• 94 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

does this term still exists ” you got to spend money to make money”????

• 95 Transfer Sage // May 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Black and White with an army lol

I really can’t see ffp making the slightest bit of difference for top clubs, they will make an example of small/mid sized clubs and let the big boys play on…it’s how it always works, money talks.

UEFA won’t deduct points in champs league, and even if they do it will be a token gesture after a club is through anyway.

Also the prem league rules aren’t even that strict, all about % increase of wages being limited which favours big wage budgets as they can still at a few players anyway as their % will be much higher.

• 96 bills-son // May 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Jail – one of us is right and I’ve got no doubt that you hope it’s me.

If we could combine Ashley’s ruthless organisation, financial and negotiation abilities (and the ambition I believe he has) with a comparable level of football management and coaching ability I believe we would have a really powerful set up.

Ashley is as sharp as a pin and there is no waffle or bullshit from him – Benitez is as sharp as a pin and doesn’t suffer fools gladly. They both have a lot to prove in different ways and for different reasons – and I reckon they are both hungry to prove it.

They could just be a match made in heaven.

• 97 gazzaforever // May 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Andynufc , I commented about him before , he s perfect for the job

• 98 Transfer Sage // May 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

bills

they could be…or they could be at each others throat after 5 minutes haha.

• 99 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I just googled JFK and was surprised to see he had an LMA award and that Pards had a manager of the month in Feb 2006, so that’s where Mashley got them from, just scrolled down the former award winners looked to see who was in the most financial dire straits and currently unemployed then hired them, shame he never done due dilligence on the medical records of the first former manager of the year.So going on this if Pards does go we’ll be looking forward to Alan Curbishly or Danny Wilson.

• 100 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

black and white @ 94
    not in ashleys vocab it dosnt !!!!

• 101 Christoon // May 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

@ big papa cisse Couldn’t agree more. Most of the crap I read is “believed to be true” or from a close source. It’s depressing having to wade through all the London bullshit to actually find some relative information.

• 102 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Yes bills, I do hope it’s you.

• 103 Black and White with an army lol // May 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

stuart no9

your probably right mate, MA will be “get cheap, sell more”

• 104 Big Pappa Cissé // May 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Got a serious man crush on Jurgen Klopp :) . Anyone else seen this

Childish but funny ;)

• 105 santonthenewmaldini // May 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Honestly Benitez is a winner he would be the best manager we have had since Sir Bobby could possibly even have a better record than him as well certainly wipes the floor with Keegan (yes he played great football but so does Benitez teams and he has actually won things )

But if he wins the Europa league he might actually get a better offer than what we can give so he might end up elsewhere

• 106 BigKirky // May 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Anyone seen the Big Brother style Man City training ground videos on You Tube? Interesting seeing what goes on in some of their practice sessions.

• 107 solano // May 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM

@78 Read these You Ashley Snivelling Weasel.

Cold Hard FACTS:

In pure footballing terms, in Ashley’s near six years in charge, Newcastle have finished in the top 10 of the Premier League only once, last year’s fifth-place finish. Their average Premier League finish (including their current position of 17th) is 13th, they have been relegated once and are in the middle of another fight to stay out of the Championship. They have not gone beyond the fourth round of either domestic cup competition in that period and in those six years there has been one European campaign, in this season’s Europa League, in which they reached the quarter-finals. There have been six different managers during these six years, including Allardyce.

For the previous six years prior to Ashley’s arrival, Newcastle finished in the top 10 of the Premier League on four occasions, their average finish was eighth and they were never relegated. They reached two FA Cup quarter-finals, one FA Cup semi-final, two League Cup quarter-finals, one Uefa Cup semi-final and one Uefa Cup quarter-final. They qualified for the Champions League twice and reached the second group stage in the competition’s old format. They used four managers during that period.

If this is an example of ambition via stability and sustainability then you are clearly mad! It is, my deluded friend, FAILURE, pure and simple.

• 108 nufc786 // May 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

• 109 tooninspain // May 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

All bow to the oracle, Solano.

• 110 nufc786 // May 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Wigan Athletic’s James McCarthy is top of Newcastle United’s wanted list should the North East club manage to avoid relegation this season, according to reports.

The Mail claims that the 22-year-old midfielder could be one of several new additions to the squad as they aim to avert a repeat of this season’s poor showing in the Premier League.

Wanted

The paper suggests that Liverpool‘s Jay Spearing, as well as ex Toon favourite Andy Carroll, are also on manager Alan Pardew’s wanted list.

• 111 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Solano,
    You must have made all that up because there was a bloke on here last night who reckoned Ashley had done wonders for the club.

• 112 tooninspain // May 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Trash…..you talk trash

• 113 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Toonisapain,
    Knob.

• 114 Turkish Magpie // May 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I have been saying all season, Salih Ucan is an incredible player. Not like anything we have at the moment. A proper CM that is a great ball winner, yet can pick out the passes of Cabaye and has an unbelievable shot and is incredibly calm. Fair bit of pace as well and incredibly just 19.

Just watch his goal from 2:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HK06g6ND0k

The problem for Newcastle is that he is incredible and almost certainly too good for us (and not French) meaning he is a lot more likely to stay at Fenerbahce as homegrown Turks do before moving on later.

• 115 tooninspain // May 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Trash….is that your best, sausage jockey?

• 116 KevinHann // May 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Turkish, how much would he cost?

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• 117 LeToonARMY // May 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM

___________Eliot___________
    Simpson__S,Tayor__Collo__Yanga___
    ______Sissoko______Tiote_______
    Ben Arfa____Cabaye__Gouffan_____
    ________Cisse____________

• 118 Turkish Magpie // May 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

It’s impossible to say, he only joined Fenerbahce in the summer and they rate him incredibly highly, £10mil plus at least. Won’t leave, Fenebahce are a really ambitious club that want to achieve what Borrussia Dortmund have

• 119 KevinHann // May 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM

How much did he cost them?

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• 120 santonthenewmaldini // May 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Mccarthy is actually a really good midfielder

Quality on the ball and is a wee ginger warrior is better than most of our defensive mids although I think him and Anita are similar except maybe Mccarthy is a bit better built!!?

He is certainly better than Perch and Tiote as he can tackle etc but is also quality on the ball I have watched Wigan a few times and he has run the show against Man Utd and Arsenal in some games

Tiote gets rated for THAT one game he had against Man Utd he has been he cant live off it anymore the last game he was any good was the Chelsea away game last season thats not good enough

• 121 mickg108 // May 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM

pmsl & Toon 22 “Rafa can Manage a Team”,,ffs I could Manage Chelsea,,with the Multi Million £ Player’s they Have,,Going to Update my C.V and take £10 a week less Than,the Chosen one,I’ll buy Falcoa for £55 Million & get Mata to clean His boots :)

previous post: The Group Is Together – Our Destiny Is In Our Own Hands