The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Former Magpie Manager Reassures Fans – 40 Points Enough

10:51 am, Thursday, May 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

Newcastle have three games left at West Ham, QPR and at home to Arsenal on the final day of the season, and if can get 4 points out of those games we should be safe.

glenn-roeder-5

Glenn Roeder - while at Newcastle

But our expectations are hardly very high right now, after the pathetic performances of Newcastle recently, and we don’t expect to win on Saturday at Upton Park, and we’d get even more nervous if Wigan beat West Brom at the Hawthorns on Saturday.

That’s unlikely, but Wigan seem to always do the unlikely things at this time of year, in their battle against relegation every season.

Glenn Roeder, the former Newcastle captain and manager has something in common with Alan Pardew, since they have both managed both the Magpies and the Hammers.

Glenn thinks 40 points will be safe this season, and he had this to say in the Evening Chronicle today::

“For me 40 points is safe. I’ve sat there and looked at all of the fixtures and tried to work out what is what, if you do it for too long you’ll go nuts.”

“It gives you a headache.” “There are some incredible fixtures in there.” “Not least the end of the season when the two North East teams play the two North London teams and it could be about qualifying for the Champions League for one and avoiding relegation for the others.”

“Hopefully it does not come down to that for Newcastle.” “You ask Roberto Martinez if he’d swap his fixtures for Newcastle, Sunderland or Villa.”

“He’ll answer that you are stupid for even asking him the question.” “The biggest pressure is on Wigan.” “If Newcastle finished 17th it’s enough, they can lick their wounds and look to next season.”

“The owner might look at the half a million you get for each place.” “But on the scale of the big picture, it’s about survival.”

It seems to us that the comments being made by people like Glenn are eerily familiar, because the same kinds of comments were made in 2009 by former managers and players, and it was basically to  reassure anxious fans we’d be OK, and we wereb too good to go soen.

After all we had Michael Owen,  who surely would save us with his goals..

But we weren’t OK, and until Newcastle get the points on the board – and remember results are now of paramount importance  rather than the performance  – we’ll still be concerned we can take the drop.

It’s happened before.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // May 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

i liked him too

good guy

picking up pieces , just like CH

• 2 wolfshead@toon // May 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

we will be lucky to get 3 imo hope other teams around us implode

• 3 Lachu // May 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

So whats your point Ed, We ll get relegated then ??.. Ok go on writing like this , if it makes you feel good ..

• 4 Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter) // May 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Catchy,

Don’t you think like roeder we should sack pardew. I think roeder was sacked b4 the watford game.

• 5 Lachu // May 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM

It seems to us that the comments being made by people like Glenn are eerily familiar, because the same kinds of comments were made in 2009 by former managers and players, and it was basically to reassure anxious fans we’d be OK, and we wereb too good to go soen
    But we weren’t OK

I know you are a fan and you are anxious .. But this is a lil over the top ..Try and write somethind positive

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // May 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Catchy,
    Yeah, good bloke, did okay for us in what were difficult circumstances, and over saw the last bit of any development of players from the youth setup.

• 7 catchy in norway // May 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

indian

i wake up every day hoping to see the news , PARDEW SACKED,

i accept ppl have there levels in life, some are good at things, some are tryers, some are born lucky, and some are just plain poor at most things they try

for me , CH/GL, are cut from the same cloth, good honest guys, will try there best, never hide, and thats why ppl like them

for me, pardew falls into the bracked lucky ,
    lucky to be a pro player, wasnt good at that
    lucky to have the clubs to manage that he has, failed big time
    its his arogance that stops him from being good, winners learn from there mistakes, its what make them better,
    pardew keeps repeating his, and asks why is this not working

• 8 Spotlight Kid // May 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Anyone who says “40 points is safe” at the present time is a chancer. Until the maths stack up, file Mr Roeder under delusional characters.

Wigan can still get 44 points, so until they lose and that total is revised down then 45 points is the number required for survival at the moment – period.

In other words, at present survival is still in our hands as NUFC can technically still get 46 points. That’s all we need to know, Glenn, and that’s what should be instilled into players with a large mallet and a new manager.

• 9 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Ridiculous comment by Roeder (who took West Ham down). Stability from the start with a good manager with a template of attractive football and a successful background is the way to go.

Pardew as his CV suggests is not a consistently good manager and has never really reached the heights in a long journeyman career.

Equally his formation and style is ultra defensive, nor is it a good watch or easy on the eye.

Pardew is not comfortable with technical and flair players and would prefer workaday players in his own image. Electing to play Mullins and Harewood over Tevez and Mascherano, Ryan Taylor before Ben Arfa and preferring Perch over Anita being clear cases in point.

Stability for stability’s sake just breeds complacency and mediocrity which has been the case ever since this notional 8 year contract was awarded.

Coaches are often on short 2/3 year contracts on the continent and stability is not lost. Swansea being a very good example with a succession of excellent technical and progressive coaches.

Stability yes but start with the right man for the job, not an out of work casino punter last sacked from a league 1 club for poor staff morale.

• 10 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I quite liked roeder at the time. His record is almost identical to pardew. largely hit and miss at the same clubs.

One day this sleeping giant may just get it’s act together, then again….

• 11 toonluvva // May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I posted a few days ago that Wigan have something like 5 games in 15 days. They have 2 home and 2 away plus the FA cup final. Some of these games will be within a couple days which raises the question of have they got the “legs” to do this.

They need 5 points to get level on points with us and of course 6 to get above us. That is ignoring what ever goal difference we have by the end of the season.

It’s unlikely that they will win 4 games and end up on 44 points. Realistically I can see them getting 4 or 5 points to end up on 36/37 points.

If they get to 37 points and we Sun’Lun and Villa lose all of our remaining matches, the team with the worst goal difference will join QPR & Reading in the Championship.

Hopefully, our 2 away matches should bring us at least 2 points taking us onto 39 and we should be safe.

The more points we gain, the safer we become. Pardew it’s as simple as that. Let’s get the points and put the season behind us.

In the summer, Ashley can sack those who have been at fault, and start the rebuilding process.

• 12 Spotlight Kid // May 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

CORRECTION.

44 POINTS is actually the correct survival target as Villa have to play Wigan so something has to give. If Wigan win then Villa must of course lose so Villa then will be on 43 points assuming they have won the other 2 – and need only to best them.

• 13 Munster Mag // May 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Rotunda, I have preached that message a long time ago aswell. Once Brighton came and went and my alarm bells started ringing at the continuous references to injuries, the Senegal FA etc, I’ve often questioned how Ashley ovels like Billson could feel comfortable that a nobody manager was appointed – seemingly without competition. That was the big issue for me. I mean Pards could talk all sorts of glossy stuff at an interview, but I’m not sure any other manager got a chance! I can only see us getting one more point, possibly 3 if very lucky. That will be our lot. I predicted we would lose 0-3 to Sunderland ( my Toon mate in Ireland thinks I’m scary ) and I also felt Liverpool would beat us. Sadly I think West Ham will hurt us too. If we concede early it could be 3 or 4. Hopefully decent honest defenders like Simmo ( is it just me or is Debuchy slow and overrated defensively ??) and Willo ( needed v carroll ) will see us through. Foer us to have a chance, we have to attack them. Is Pardew capable of that – unlikely.

• 14 Munster Mag // May 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I have a feeling Sunderland may well end up in shit….No strikers and a manager that might lose the plot under pressure . Unlike our hero !!! :)

• 15 MrMojoRisin76 // May 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Lol,idiots blaming Pardew.The guy finishes 5th last season,get’s no help from the board to strengthen our tiny squad,has a nightmare with injuries this season.Cisse has turned into Ameobi.If you don’t have forwards who can score goals in the Prem you will struggle,not Pardews fault we are short on forwards.If Cisse had taken just a few of the many chances he has had over the last 8 games i don’t think we would be in this position,wtf was he thinking with that chance against West Brom?,we were 1-0 up at the time,all he had to do was sidefoot it or taken it round the keeper but he decides to go for the lob.I will admit he has lost the plot over the last couple of games but the idiot armchair managers have no clue what the pressures of a Premier League season have on the decisions of a manager fighting a relegation battle.Do any of the idiot armchair managers think we would be in this position if we had signed the January signings in the summer when we should have?

• 16 Munster Mag // May 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Mojo, if thats your analysis of our season then take a bow. You havent a bloody clue .

• 17 MrMojoRisin76 // May 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Can you explain to me Why i haven’t a clue Munster?

• 18 jimmysmith // May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Until recently, I’ve always pretty much just accepted Pards as the manager. It hadn’t seriously occurred to me that he should or might be replaced, but I’m so tired of this season that I can’t help feeling also less than enthusiastic about not just the manager and also half the fist team regulars.

Strangely, considering the goals we’ve shipped, I’d like to see the whole defence retained. Other than that, I can’t think of a single player that you couldn’t mount a reasonable case for moving on based on form, fitness, or attitude.

The season’s been hopeless and most of the players have been too. Who for example would you give player of the season too, if not Santon?

• 19 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Mojo

Calling people idiots cos they don’t agree with you kind of shows you’ve lost the argument already.

Go and tell the 52 000 who saw the last 2 games idiots.

• 20 stuart no9 // May 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

the thing is with roeder is that when he was manager not a lot of fans fancied him.
    He was a great servant as a player but as manager , fans thought we should have had a bigger name- me included., however, what i would do for his services now to get us out of this mess,!!!! its so true – you never know what you had untill its gone.

• 21 Munster Mag // May 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Mojo, yes I can.

1. Irrespective of injuries, every manager has to carry the can for performance over a long season. We have had long enough, even with injuries to accumulate the points needed.
    2. Even with strong new additional players ( I bet Martinex would have liked to have been given 20 mill ) we have got worse.
    3. Pardew is a defensive coach, who cannot press home an advantage. West Brom was a classic example.
    4. He is a defensive coach ( as described by Carver ) who now has the worset defensive record in the prem. Go figure.
    5. He has players who are worth far more – and are better – than players at teams like sunderland norwich villa etc etc. Our team is better – the coaches just cant make it work right.
    6. Who is responsible for our lack of variety and ingenuity at dead ball time??
    7. His constant excuses – he even blamed the senegal FA re Cisse, who was in shocking form at the time and not relevant to our chances.
    8. His unwillingness to move from 442 earlier in the season and his insistance on backing off teams when we have a lead.
    9. If you think he enjoys the respect of “the gropu” , why did the second team not raise a gallop at Brightom – and were “warriors” like Tiote so poor and carefree on saturday. Cos they dont respect him, thats why.

If I had time I could go on. Maybe other will add to it. I appreciate that players have to do their stuff, but if you are abdicating Pardew then I’m afraid you’re for the mental home.

• 22 MrMojoRisin76 // May 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Rotonda,”We play 1 up front. Cisse and Ba didn’t work together although he tried making them for half a season or more”.What the hell are you talking about?,nowhere in my post did i mention how many we play up front.Why are you telling me this?,idiot.

• 23 MrMojoRisin76 // May 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Munster
    1 When you have a small squad like ours,with injuries to our key players,we are going to suffer.We are not a top 4 team that can afford to have 2 quality players in every position.
    2 The new players haven’t played Premier League before,can’t speak English we would expect a decent pre season behind them to fully adjust but because we didn’t get them in the summer,they have had to sink or swim and some of them are sinking
    3 I seem to remember us playing good attacking football in the 1st half at West Brom,creating several chances that were not taken
    4 I firmly believe if we could put our best team out consistently we wouldn’t be in this position
    5 Player value don’t mean sh*t,Pardew and the coaches got it right last season didn’t they?
    6 I agree we are a shambles at dead balls,i don’t know who is responsible set pieces,but Cabaye does the same thing all the time
    7 Point irrelevant that happened months ago,has no bearing on where we are now
    8 Jesus christ,we don’t back off on teams when we have a lead,for example the West Brom game,West Brom were terrible in the 1st half,no closing down or energy,we went 1-0 up and should have had more before half time,they come out second half all guns blazing working hard and they have the home support,like i said if we had taken our chances we might have won.
    9 How do you know they don’t respect Pardew?,are you part of the dressing room?,no your not.
    Anything Else?

• 24 Whoarya.com // May 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM

One win and Wigan need to win 3 out of 4 to catch us

So 2 wins and they need to win every game

Now wins and we need a change of undies

• 25 danuneek // May 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

MrMojoRisin76 – Your not Pardew are you?

I think you and Munster both make some valid points, but I do believe its largely Pardew and we need a new manager in the summer regardless of whether we go down or stay up.

Even if you look back to last season when he was manager of the year, you can see he made a number of clear mistakes that cost us points.

• 26 Spotlight Kid // May 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Mojo@15

In a word, yes, we would still be struggling. And the only idiot manager around here is the silver haired guy who dances around in front of the dugout twice a week.

Sad to say I suspect most of the long term anti-Pardew brigade on here would have made probably made a better first of things – Pardew is THAT bad. I was living up the road from the Valley when the ill fated Curbishley-Pardew swap took place – and saw the way the team spirit wilted down there. I literally wilted when I heard he was appointed at the toon in Dec. 2010.

The man is a pretender, a faker, an incompetent. End of. The sooner he is gone, the sooner we can get repairs under way.

• 27 remember69 // May 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Although I am not a Pardew fan (he has yet to convince me) I do base judgment on facts rather analysis of the way we have been playing.
    The facts indicate that we were doing fine last season, and fellow managers rated AP for what he achieved with the squad he had at his disposal.
    This season has seen the flip side – whether it be by injuries, lack of investment, an influx of players foreign to the Premiership of whatever the team just hasn’t performed.
    I don’t believe you can go from being the top manager in the league (again, rated by the top managers who do this for a living as opposed to us fans) to being a bad manager in a year.
    So that said I think we have to look at contributing factors. I personally believe that Europe took a toll on a squad already decimated by injuries, and the fact that so many were drafted into the first team had a major impact on how the team played.

I heard cries of ” Pardew is playing the long ball” in the middle of the season. This was at the time our ENTIRE 1st choice midfield was not available. I can see logically why you might want to try and relieve pressure on a severely weakened midfield and give the forwards to at least touch the ball.
    This is strategy – trying to play to get the best result from the players you have available with respect to strengths/weaknesses of the team you are playing.
    I don’t think we should be slamming AP in this respect.\

Don’t forget that AP came really close to getting a result at Old Trafford with what could loosely be described as a reserve team – we lost but I was a proud man that day. We scared the &*^% out of Man U and took the game to Aresenal days later before running out of steam.

Follow this all up with Ba wanting to leave and the fiasco surrounding Collo and there is more strain on the team.

Now we are back to full(ish) strength we should definitely be playing better, but I believe the lack of confidence following negative results coupled with so many new players on the field has some role to play.

In short I think we all have to pull together in difficult times (that’s what SUPPORTERS do….) and trust in those that know the game to keep us in the EPL. If we make it I think the team will be all the more stronger next season (especially if we get the players AP wants).

Let’s stick together lads and show why we are the best supporters in the world.

• 28 kelykos // May 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

For me Pardew is not good enough, last season even if we finished 5th, we had couple of terrible loss, 0-5 at Tottenham, 2-5 at Fulham. Most of the time, it was the tactic which went horribly wrong.

This time again, agaist Liverpool, a very bad tactic and lot of space in midfield. Sometimes even when we win, I am amazed by the amount of space we leave to the opponent. Defensively Pardew never really convinced me.

So yes, we suffered injuries but there are coaches that make their players become better football players. AP is definitely not one of them. I can’t see any of our players who has improved this season.

Whatever the outcome is at the end of the season, he has to go and we need a good manager. I think it’s the most important thing even before buying players. I can’t see why we can’t compete for a top 10 finish.

previous post: The Strange Case Of Newcastle And The Daily Telegraph

next post: Newcastle Linked With Liverpool Man – Is He Good Enough?