The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Need A Leader Like This Right Now

9:55 am, Friday, May 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

We always thought that Kevin Nolan was a great captain of Newcastle when he was at the club, and the former Bolton captain arrived at Newcastle In January of 2009, and found it very difficult to settle down immediately – much like some our new French recruits today – and Kevin was in and out of the side in the final few games of that season – which saw us relegated in May, 2009.

kevin nolan 87

Kevin Nolan – we need this kind of spirit right now

But along with other players like Nicky Butt and local lad Andy Carroll, he was paramount in getting Newcastle promoted at the first attempt and we were promoted in May of 2010, and we owe something to players like Kevin Nolan.

But Kevin will be against us tomorrow, and if we lose at Upton Park tomorrow, the nightmare that seems to be happening in front of our eyes will only continue.

This is what Kevin told the Shields Gazette today:

“I can’t believe they’re in the situation they’re in,” Nolan told the Gazette. “I certainly wouldn’t want to be in that situation, and I certainly don’t like seeing Newcastle there.

“They’ve got to make sure they stick together. I’m sure they’ll have enough to stay up, and then they can reassess in the summer.” “I’ve got memories of really great times at Newcastle – I loved my time there,”

“The way I left wasn’t great, but I’ve still got respect for everyone up there. It’s a great club, and it was good to be part of it. I hope they get out of it, but we want to win.”

“I can’t wait for it. Going back up to Newcastle was a massive thing for me, and I’m looking forward to this game.” “A lot of people are saying it’s about the foreign players, I don’t believe that.”

“But it’s always important to have a British core to your squad, three or four lads in your ranks who can step up.”

Kevin was a leader both on and off the field for Newcastle, and it’s something we don’t see too much of at the club right now – and we need some leaders to help us get out of the mess we are in.

And it would be more than ironic – cruel may be a better word – if Andy and Kevin have anything to do tomorrow if Newcastle lose the game.

What’s happened in the last three weeks is hard enough for fans to take, and to have the irony of two of our former best players possibly put another nail in our coffin would be very hard to deal with.

Of course on the other side of the coin we could even win tomorrow, but we are not too confident – based on our last two performances at home and seeing the Hammers play extremely well last week at Manchester City.

We’re hoping for the best – there’s not much else we can do.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Kevin Nolan · Newcastle News · Premier League

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Having cocktail sticks with pickled onions and cheese shoved into his toe nails is too good for Ashley.

• 2 Mag.no // May 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Repost
    Catchy
    Perhaps i explained it a bit incomplete. I meant we lack options on the wings to play in an ancient 442 or 441 system, not options in general. I’m with you there. In this squad there are lots of options, but Pardew isn’t capable of using the players we allready have. He is the type of manager that want’s old fashioned wingers and a big clumsy forward or two.

I was just thinking of a way how he could turn around the dump we’re in right now, tomorrow, with the players he have.

I hope Cabaye told him that if he puts him and Ben Arfra a bit forward they’ll work their socks of and proove they can play football, and that Pardew sees that as a solution because of the lack of ability/alternatives he can come up with himself.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Another repost :
    I was looking at the list of LMA winners in which our very own JFK and Alan ‘it wasn’t me guv ‘ Pardew proubly sit, the list is frightening as in our next manager is much more likely to come from an unemployed member of that bunch rather than Real, Bayern or Chelsea.

• 4 Rainrix // May 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Jail… Most likely. All this talk of martinez and benitez is just our chirpy optimism. Expect neil warnock to be announced as manager come june.

• 5 Transfer Sage // May 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

rainrix

i’m really confident of benitiez joining us at the start of the summer. I don’t see why ashley would sack pardew and replace with an equal/inferior manager

• 6 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Courtesy of Solano :
    Cold Hard FACTS:In pure footballing terms, in Ashley’s near six years in charge, Newcastle have finished in the top 10 of the Premier League only once, last year’s fifth-place finish. Their average Premier League finish (including their current position of 17th) is 13th, they have been relegated once and are in the middle of another fight to stay out of the Championship. They have not gone beyond the fourth round of either domestic cup competition in that period and in those six years there has been one European campaign, in this season’s Europa League, in which they reached the quarter-finals. There have been six different managers during these six years, including Allardyce.For the previous six years prior to Ashley’s arrival, Newcastle finished in the top 10 of the Premier League on four occasions, their average finish was eighth and they were never relegated. They reached two FA Cup quarter-finals, one FA Cup semi-final, two League Cup quarter-finals, one Uefa Cup semi-final and one Uefa Cup quarter-final. They qualified for the Champions League twice and reached the second group stage in the competition’s old format. They used four managers during that period.If this is an example of ambition via stability and sustainability then you are clearly mad! It is, my deluded friend, FAILURE, pure and simple.

• 7 catchy in norway // May 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

mag no

i have nothing against any formation,

i really like 442 :)

but in order to play the (what i think is) 442, you need 2 very good crosses of the ball and at least 1 good CF that can attack the balls coming into the box,

we dont have any of those

but we have great modern type ball players, that love ball to feet,
    marv,cabaye,HBA anita, sissoko, all have quality to play neat football and open up teams,
    just its hard to do when you in your own half

pardew the song says if you love someone set the free

please let us goooooo

• 8 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Rainrix,
    Unfortunately I don’t expect any new manager to be announced no matter what division were in.

• 9 HAZZY1 // May 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Lots of talk about montpellier we r in talks with there manager and 2 signings coming with him not sure who yet im hoping its belhanda and cabella id like us to sign some young uk talent as well as we miss that core in our team.

• 10 Rainrix // May 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Sage…. Money saving would be ashleys primary motive in my mind. Dont get me wrong i would like benitez and im glad you’re optimistic about it which bodes well, but im slightly cautious about trusting the fat man to be bold. Im pretty sure we all though when houts was sacked ashley would bring in a top level manager, o’neil and jol were 2 names but we ended up with pardew.

I hope history doesnt repeat itself or we more than likely could see a repeat of what happened with jose enrique.

• 11 Mag.no // May 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Catchy
    Let’s hope for a neat and passing Newcastle tomorrow and a Pardew seeing that he was wrong all along after we win with attacking and entertaining football, and that it results in him resigning. What a day that would be :)

• 12 terencelim // May 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM

No we don’t need Kevin Nolan type of player. Heroes don’t deserve to be slagged off by Ashley axx lickers. Cabaye a good replacement? It has been 2 years and fair to say he’s not even close to Kevin Nolan.

• 13 lesh // May 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

HAZZY1. Has who one?

What’s this about Montpelier?

• 14 lesh // May 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Where’s Ibiza today? Surely not working;!

• 15 winnynufc // May 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Wish i could be more optimistic for tommorow but after our last 2 home games i fear for us! I have a feeling AC & KN are gonna av a field day! :-( HWTL

• 16 ArtyH // May 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Its a shame to say but the team had more guts and fight when Nolan/Barton & Carrol were in the team, no one in the current line up comes close to those for battling qualities I am sad to say. I just pray for a point and hope we don’t get hammered. FFS we had the player to get points over the next 3 games but I doubt if we have the kahunas or managerial nous to get the points. Also looks like Raffa may have priced himself out of our wage scale by doing so well at Chel$ki!

previous post: Newcastle Issue Statement On Hatem Ben Arfa