West Ham vs Newcastle – Match Preview

west-ham-united-crest

Tomorrow’s game at West Ham is vital for Newcastle United – if we are to start to extricate ourselves from the grip of relegation – and it’s very important that we take something out of this game.

Newcastle have fallen apart since we were knocked out of the Europa league by Benfica – who reached the finals last night by beating Fenerbahce at home 3-1, and go through by an aggregate score of 3-2 and they meet Chelsea in the final – and the London club has a chance of winning two European titles in successive seasons, after winning the Champions League last year.

And here’s an email I received last night from Nuno Vultos in Lisbon, who runs this Benfica web-site,  and we had communicated before the first leg game between our clubs, and I had written an article for his site to introduce Benfica fans to Newcastle United.

This is what Nuno sent me:

“In this hour of joy for Benfica, I cannot forget to wish that Newcastle can overcome the difficulties and stay in the Premiership. ” “Your club has a place in my heart, and I really wish that the magpies can be where they belong –  with the very best!”

Since the Benfica game at home, Newcastle have gone into a terrible slump,  and we have taken just 1 point from our last three games and are stuck in 4th bottom place, the lowest we’ve been all season – 5 points above Wigan who have a game in hand.

If we have won two of those games we would have been in 9th place – but of course we didn’t and we conceded 9 goals in the last two home games so that our goal difference is no better than those beneath us in the table – and that was worth a point.

So it’s not just the fact we haven’t picked up enough points, but that our goal difference of -23 is the worst it’s ever been in the Premier League.

The good news is that Fabricio Coloccini should return to the center of defense, and it’s vital that he doesn’t feel any ill effects from training this week – so he can lead out the side tomorrow afternoon at Upton Park and hopefully bring some solidity to the defense – which had no such thing last week against Liverpool.

Mathieu Debuchy is suspended for this game after being sent off last week against Liverpool, and  we also continue to pick up injuries, and this week it’s Massadio Haidara who picked up a hamstring injury and misses out tomorrow.

And since we seem to be picking up so many hamstring injuries, it could be that former manager Graeme Souness was right back in 2005, when he suggested it was the training fields at Benton that were causing so many injuries, and generally hamstring injuries.

Hopefully Alan Pardew will include that in his comprehensive review that hopefully will be presented to Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias not long after this disastrous season ends, and we know our fate – which is in 16 days time on 19th May.

So at least we haven’t got too much longer to go through this agony – well unless Newcastle do something – like win a game for a change.

We have Tim Krul (shoulder), Davide Santon (hamstring), and Sylvain Marveaux (groin) out with injuries – in addition to Massadio – so that’s our two first choice left backs – although Vernon Anita can play there – as can Jonas Gutierrez, James Perch and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – and it’s anybody’s guess who Pardew will start there tomorrow.

But Alan Pardew  had better get the selection right for tomorrow, because time is quickly running out, and unless we start winning a game or two or Wigan keep losing – we could be in deep trouble over the last two games of the season.

Here’s our shot at the team for tomorrow in a  4-4-2 formation:

Elliot
Simpson Coloccini (c) Taylor (S) Yanga-Mbiwa
Ben Arfa Cabaye Tiote Gutierrez
Gouffran Cisse
Subs: Harper Williamson Perch Anita  Obertan Sissoko Ameobi (Sh)

What team would you start tomorrow?

We are going for experience, and players who have gone through tough times before at Newcastle, which is why we still include Gutierrez in the side, and we’ve left Sissoko on the bench – because he’s looked poor recently and he could be brought on in the second half, and a little time on the bench could do him the world of good – with the emphasis on little.

Steve Harper could also be recalled in goal,  simply because of his experience over Rob Elliot, but we think the manager will stick with Elliot for tomorrow.

Mike Williamson could also be included in the starting line-up to combat the aerial threat of a certain Andy Carroll,  who is again combining well with former Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan – and the last time Mike played – against Benfica at home – he had a very solid and good game.

A win by Newcastle tomorrow would significantly lift the high anxiety being felt by Newcastle fans,  because a relegation would be an absolute  catastrophe for Newcastle for a multitude of reasons.

And there’s not too much confidence being shown be readers about tomorrow’s result – and here’s a chance to vote if you haven’t already done so.

How Will Newcastle Fare At West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

We could still be safe in the Premier league if Wigan – who now have five games to play in the next two weeks – keep losing or drawing – but we need to buck up – smell the coffee – and start getting some results – and that starts tomorrow at West Ham.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Carryingcoals

May 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Sneaky suspicion Shola to start ahead of Goofy tomorrow, you heard it here first!

• Shane

May 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM

On Wednesday morning I had a job interview. A job that i wanted so, so bad.

I wore my best tie, its a black and white diagonally striped Hugo Boss tie that I bought purely because Sir Bobby Robson wore one very similar and it just screamed Newcastle. I like to think it’s lucky.

While sitting and waiting for my interview one of my friends walked past, he supports Newcastle United too, this is ridiculously coincidental because I never see him out and he is 1 of a very few friends I have that support Newcastle! Nope, I don’t keep bad company I just live down in Hertfordshire.

Seeing him really settled my nerves and took my mind off going over and over all the possible interview questions and answers.

I just got a call offering me the job!! So chuffed.

I’m not sure whether it was my black and white tie or my fellow geordie friend crossing my path but luck was on my side…

I have a good feeing about this weekend. 🙂

If you read all of that fair play.

• Beattie25

May 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM

carrying

I agree. I think 4-4-2:

————-Elliot———–
    Simmo-Saylor-Colo-Perch
    Siss–Cabs–Tiote–Guti
    ——-Cisse–Shola——-

Subs – Harps, Willo, M’bwia, Anita, Sammy, HBA, Campbell

I think Benny will still be on the bench and M’biwa will be dropped.

• Big Pappa Cissé

May 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Its on like Donkey Kong 🙂

I reckon we will nick a point, just hope the old boys Fat Sam, Nolan & Carroll don’t twist the knife. HWTL

• Beattie25

May 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Shane

Well done.

• Shane

May 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Cheers Beattie,

You weren’t on recently when I declared on the blog that I have been a plum to back Pardew.

I didn’t want to accept it because I hate jumping on the managers back, I still stand by what I’ve always said that some of the players need to take some flack but alas, I was a plum, Pardew does not learn from any of his mistakes and refuses to shoulder the crisis he has got us in.

I will miss the debates on said subject but no doubt sooner rather than later we will disagree on something else. 😉 I look forward to it.

• Big Pappa Cissé

May 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

@ Shane

Lest hope its a good omen then. At least if we lose you have something to look forward to whereas I will be miserable al week 🙂 .

• EastEndMagpie

May 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Completely agree except for Gouffy, I actually posted up the exact same team in a comment just after the liverpool game for west ham, except i thought shola should start, 4-4-2 like we beat manure, plain and simple, its our only chance. if benny starts i think he will rip them too shreds, a goal or 2 and an assist.

• jail4pardew

May 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Carryingcoals, I reckon shola will start to help out with the ariel battle with andy carroll, especially from set plays and corners, matt Jarvis has very decent delivery, gouffy could well be knocked on the head and this will show yet again that Pardew is more worried about them, then setting up a team to win the game. my team v west ham

Elliot
    simpson (ouch)
    santon
    saylor
    mbiwa
    colocini (class reading of the game)
    sissoko (deeper)
    anita
    cabaye
    gouffran
    ben arfa
    cisse

Pardew may well play shola and of course Jonas and tiote, it needs shaking up and nobodys place should be guaranteed.

Pardew spoke yesterday that he has a strong belief in certain systems, well Alan keep to your system but it could cost us our premiership status if you don’t adapt now and again. simple as.

• eaststandgeordie1982

May 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

One day just one day pardumb will be gone and we can start to play football again and that day better fcuking hurry up.

• PompeyJohn

May 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Simpson should definitely play. He’s been pretty solid in the games he has played and always tries his best and would presumably still do so in order to get a move. He can’t be any worse than Debuchy last week! I would play Perch as a holding midfielder as Tiote needs to take a valium and calm down a bit. If he gets sent off that’s us knackered.

• magpie6699

May 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Met some of the Benfica fans before the game – they wanted their photos taken in front of Sir Bobby – and they seemed like a nice bunch.

• Tsunki

May 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

We can get beat trying or get beat not trying. If its the latter again and Pardicles regurguitates some old spin on tiredness, bad publicity, sink blocked, council tax rise or adverse phase of the freakin’ moon I will offer my services to pack him a flight bag and personally shove him on a connecting flight to mongolia. I tried to back you Pardster, but every time we were confident you would change things for the better, you did everything you could to prove your supporters were misguided.

You broke my heart Alan.

You broke my heart.

• jail4pardew

May 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Pompey john colo is different class fro perch and would play a holding role brilliant imo, perch did not do much protecting v Liverpool did he, they had the kid for breakfast.

Pardew= Pathetic=arrogant=redundant=disastrous=erratic=wanker.

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Well done Shane,good luck.
    I tried to defend Pardew and wanted him to succeed not necessarily because I like him but I like fifth place finishes and above so I will not class myself as a plum,it will or can now be always debated,that if he was backed in the summer would have last years momentum carried on just as if Gazza hadn’t of been booked in the semi final of Italia 90 would we have scored an extra time winner.

• jail4pardew

May 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Pardew=painfull=arrogant=redundant=defensive=erratic=womaniser????

Got wrong for using the obvious!!!!ER

• Tsunki

May 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Jail – we had every reason to back the man, but it beggars belief what he has managed to do with his influx of summer wonder signings and the returnees from injury. We now have an officially worse team than the one filled with Willo, Simmo, Perch, Obertan…

• Beattie25

May 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I believed in Alan Pardew from day 1.

I thought he was the man to take us forward and make us a force again.

How wrong I was.

My heart has smashed into a thousand pieces, my soul lies broken on the floor.

Alan it could have been forever….

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I listened to total sport again tonight and there was anti Ashley sentiment on the airwaves ,one bloke who was black and white but with a proper makem accent,stuck up for Ashley by talking about Leeds and Pompey,I ask anybody were those two clubs owned outright by one of the richest men on Britain and did they both have Olympic venue stadiums .

• Tsunki

May 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Death march plays as a line of supporters remove their hats to Alan Pardews black taxi rolling slowly over the redheugh bridge…..

• Puppet Pardew

May 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Hi Fans,

It’s singles evening at my local Wetherspoons pub (can’t tell you which one as I don’t want too much competition). I’m sitting in the corner eyeing up the talent at the moment and typing this into my Smart Phone. Thought I’d do it now as by the time I have had a Bloody Mary or three I’m anybody’s I can tell you.

Still, I must remember to find time to watch that compilation video that Steve put together of West Ham at some point before picking the team. No need to really this time, as I know them back to front from my time there. Wait, there’s a real hottie there, and I’m sure those teeth are genuine as well.

It is West Ham tomorrow, isn’t it? Ah well, too late now, I’m already darn saath, as we civilised types like to say.

‘Scuse me, darlin’, do you use Steradent or have you simply contacted rabies?’

• chesterlemag

May 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

First time poster here, I’ve been reading this blog for a few year now, I thought it’s probably time I joined in and it’s due to the fact at how angry I am been a toon fan atm!!! We are currently a laughing stock!what other club would let the numpty pardew run their club! For me he is a league 1 manager at best! Just thought I’d have a little rant!!

• Beattie25

May 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

JFA

It almost like the unpalatable defence I often hear that without Ashley we would’ve gone backrupt.

Bullshit.

We might have been on the way to bankruptcy but if the fat knacker hadn’t of bought us out then someone else would’ve.

• Tsunki

May 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Puppet Pardew – steer clear of those Shirley Temples, they will give you strong beer goggles…

• yo-yo

May 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Beattie

Well you sure got the seven year itch prematurely.

I never wanted him but was persuaded by last season and my lingering doubts about Mutt and Jeff who never filled me with confidence they could run a football club. I don’t have the visceral hatred a lot on here seem to have for Pards but he has lost my trust as he is playing ugly and not winning either. He has been dealt a terrible hand this season though but he still has to go. He might not have lost the dressing room but he has lost SJP

• JackButler

May 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

My stomach is in knot’s for the game tomorrow, if we don’t get a least a point I’m going into a forced hibernation until this bloody nightmare ends

• yo-yo

May 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

and I have little faith in them upstairs either to put it right

• boater

May 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

4-4-2; Benny, Cabaye, Tiote and Jonas in midfield; Cisse and Shola up front. At least everyone will know what they’re meant to be doing, and going toe to toe, with 6/ 7 out of 10 performances across the team should earn us a point.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Well done Shane, hopefully it’s a good sign for the weekend lad.

• Beattie25

May 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM

jail4pardew = nick bird

• Tsunki

May 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Its depressing isn’t it – you can name endless permutations of what used to be very exciting players but you know you are going to end up with a shoddy half-hearted lacklustre display.

See how I did that? I didnt use the words Eating, Surrender, Monkey or Cheese.

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Beattie,
    When I heard it was Pardew instead of Jol
    I was devastated in the same way I would have been if Curbishley or Peter Reid would have signed,and after witnessing the first game I got to after he took over a 2-1 win against Birmingham I said to my brother after listening to his lies and bullshit wait until the crowd turns on him next year,he won’t look so good in front of the camera,but alas we made some good signings and came out eleven unbeaten and I thought maybe this guy has got something about him and he won me over,I didn’t blame him for the December slump as ever I blamed Ashley for not buying a CB,and that’s why I was loath to blame him this year,I still think it was too much too late from Ashleys point of view but a better manager could have seen us now in a better position.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

if jonas, tiote and shola start for tomorrow we are out and deservedly so, looking at WHU they have a strong team and they could panic against fast players so i would consider a 442 with goofy and cisse as strikers and have obertan and HBA on our wings with Cabaye and sissoko as our mids.

Elliot
    Simpson, Colo, Taylor, MYM
    HBA, Cabaye, Sissoko, Obertan
    Goofy, Cisse

if we don’t have these lads for tomorrow than Pard’s has once again proved that he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I was absolutely gutted when Pardew got the job, but gave him support to start with as every new manager should have a chance to prove themselves.

He took over what I can only describe as an already up and running team from CH, sort of like a rolling tyre, which he hardly needed to even push with his hand to keep going.

Last season my dad and I would be coming away from games saying we haven’t played well there but still got points, mainly due to the quality of playing pulling something out of the magic bag, who in effect could probably play themselves without instruction sort of thing.

We were crying out for 433 all season and we played our best stuff as a 433 for half a dozen games, then he ditched it and for me the team has gone from bad to worse since.

This season we have had similar poor team performances except we havn’t picked up the points, which I dreaded may happen last season as it could have gone two ways this year. Start playing well and pick up points or continue to play poorly and pick up little.

It is similar poor performances without the points this year. With that, awful selections, tactics and philosophies and the worse we’ve got, the more he tries to deflect the blame away from himself. Any excuse is varied to what he can easily use for find and apply for each game.

As it stands now, I’m totally fed up with his negative tactics and disgusting arrogance.
    If he goes after the last day of the season, I just hope we get an experienced, positive European pedigree manager in to take this great club forward.

If we keep him on, I will again be gutted. With the way those players played under him last two home games I really think it has gone past the point of no return for him.

• Tsunki

May 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I’v e been saying for hours er sorry weeks now that and average PL manager would at least attempt to stop the rot and get a solid defensive formation going so we could at least not leak goals. How could we ship 3 goals to a team whose top scorer not long ago was one of our players and who subsequently got polished by Villa of all the teams in all the world???

• Black and White with an army lol

May 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Laurent Robert 32

well said mate

• JackButler

May 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Even if we were to win the last three games I honestly believe that Pardews time will be over come the end of the month.

• Beattie25

May 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM

It’s all pointless this football thing. There has to be others feeling worse than us.

There are more than 7 billion people on Earth.

There are more than 3,000 quintillion living organisms on the planet.

There are more than 1 septillion planets in the observable universe.

There is a possibility that infinite universes exist outside of our own.

It is argued that all of time exists in one singular moment meaning everything that has, does and ever will live is currently alive.

I’m sure NUFC isn’t the worst problem in existence.

However if we don’t win tomorrow…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Beattie

These moments of bleak darkness are when you’re at your comedic best, that said though I’d rather we’re successful and you go back to being a dullard 😛

• Black and White with an army lol

May 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM

i think in some way Pardew knows he’s going at the end of the season and i think he wants to go out with a bang not because he wants to stay here i think it’s because he is very passionate about our club and football all together.