The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

West Ham vs Newcastle – Match Preview

6:29 pm, Friday, May 3rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 126 Comments

west-ham-united-crest

Tomorrow’s game at West Ham is vital for Newcastle United – if we are to start to extricate ourselves from the grip of relegation – and it’s very important that we take something out of this game.

Newcastle have fallen apart since we were knocked out of the Europa league by Benfica – who reached the finals last night by beating Fenerbahce at home 3-1, and go through by an aggregate score of 3-2 and they meet Chelsea in the final – and the London club has a chance of winning two European titles in successive seasons, after winning the Champions League last year.

And here’s an email I received last night from Nuno Vultos in Lisbon, who runs this Benfica web-site,  and we had communicated before the first leg game between our clubs, and I had written an article for his site to introduce Benfica fans to Newcastle United.

This is what Nuno sent me:

“In this hour of joy for Benfica, I cannot forget to wish that Newcastle can overcome the difficulties and stay in the Premiership. ” “Your club has a place in my heart, and I really wish that the magpies can be where they belong –  with the very best!”

Since the Benfica game at home, Newcastle have gone into a terrible slump,  and we have taken just 1 point from our last three games and are stuck in 4th bottom place, the lowest we’ve been all season - 5 points above Wigan who have a game in hand.

If we have won two of those games we would have been in 9th place – but of course we didn’t and we conceded 9 goals in the last two home games so that our goal difference is no better than those beneath us in the table – and that was worth a point.

So it’s not just the fact we haven’t picked up enough points, but that our goal difference of -23 is the worst it’s ever been in the Premier League.

The good news is that Fabricio Coloccini should return to the center of defense, and it’s vital that he doesn’t feel any ill effects from training this week – so he can lead out the side tomorrow afternoon at Upton Park and hopefully bring some solidity to the defense – which had no such thing last week against Liverpool.

Mathieu Debuchy is suspended for this game after being sent off last week against Liverpool, and  we also continue to pick up injuries, and this week it’s Massadio Haidara who picked up a hamstring injury and misses out tomorrow.

And since we seem to be picking up so many hamstring injuries, it could be that former manager Graeme Souness was right back in 2005, when he suggested it was the training fields at Benton that were causing so many injuries, and generally hamstring injuries.

Hopefully Alan Pardew will include that in his comprehensive review that hopefully will be presented to Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias not long after this disastrous season ends, and we know our fate – which is in 16 days time on 19th May.

So at least we haven’t got too much longer to go through this agony – well unless Newcastle do something – like win a game for a change.

We have Tim Krul (shoulder), Davide Santon (hamstring), and Sylvain Marveaux (groin) out with injuries – in addition to Massadio – so that’s our two first choice left backs – although Vernon Anita can play there – as can Jonas Gutierrez, James Perch and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – and it’s anybody’s guess who Pardew will start there tomorrow.

But Alan Pardew  had better get the selection right for tomorrow, because time is quickly running out, and unless we start winning a game or two or Wigan keep losing – we could be in deep trouble over the last two games of the season.

Here’s our shot at the team for tomorrow in a  4-4-2 formation:

Elliot
Simpson Coloccini (c) Taylor (S) Yanga-Mbiwa
Ben Arfa Cabaye Tiote Gutierrez
Gouffran Cisse
Subs: Harper Williamson Perch Anita  Obertan Sissoko Ameobi (Sh)

What team would you start tomorrow?

We are going for experience, and players who have gone through tough times before at Newcastle, which is why we still include Gutierrez in the side, and we’ve left Sissoko on the bench – because he’s looked poor recently and he could be brought on in the second half, and a little time on the bench could do him the world of good – with the emphasis on little.

Steve Harper could also be recalled in goal,  simply because of his experience over Rob Elliot, but we think the manager will stick with Elliot for tomorrow.

Mike Williamson could also be included in the starting line-up to combat the aerial threat of a certain Andy Carroll,  who is again combining well with former Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan – and the last time Mike played – against Benfica at home – he had a very solid and good game.

A win by Newcastle tomorrow would significantly lift the high anxiety being felt by Newcastle fans,  because a relegation would be an absolute  catastrophe for Newcastle for a multitude of reasons.

And there’s not too much confidence being shown be readers about tomorrow’s result – and here’s a chance to vote if you haven’t already done so.

How Will Newcastle Fare At West Ham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We could still be safe in the Premier league if Wigan – who now have five games to play in the next two weeks – keep losing or drawing – but we need to buck up – smell the coffee – and start getting some results – and that starts tomorrow at West Ham.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Match Preview · Newcastle News · Premier League

126 responses so far ↓

• 1 Carryingcoals // May 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Sneaky suspicion Shola to start ahead of Goofy tomorrow, you heard it here first!

• 2 Shane // May 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM

On Wednesday morning I had a job interview. A job that i wanted so, so bad.

I wore my best tie, its a black and white diagonally striped Hugo Boss tie that I bought purely because Sir Bobby Robson wore one very similar and it just screamed Newcastle. I like to think it’s lucky.

While sitting and waiting for my interview one of my friends walked past, he supports Newcastle United too, this is ridiculously coincidental because I never see him out and he is 1 of a very few friends I have that support Newcastle! Nope, I don’t keep bad company I just live down in Hertfordshire.

Seeing him really settled my nerves and took my mind off going over and over all the possible interview questions and answers.

I just got a call offering me the job!! So chuffed.

I’m not sure whether it was my black and white tie or my fellow geordie friend crossing my path but luck was on my side…

I have a good feeing about this weekend. :)

If you read all of that fair play.

• 3 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM

carrying

I agree. I think 4-4-2:

————-Elliot———–
    Simmo-Saylor-Colo-Perch
    Siss–Cabs–Tiote–Guti
    ——-Cisse–Shola——-

Subs – Harps, Willo, M’bwia, Anita, Sammy, HBA, Campbell

I think Benny will still be on the bench and M’biwa will be dropped.

• 4 Big Pappa Cissé // May 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Its on like Donkey Kong :)

I reckon we will nick a point, just hope the old boys Fat Sam, Nolan & Carroll don’t twist the knife. HWTL

• 5 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Shane

Well done.

• 6 Shane // May 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Cheers Beattie,

You weren’t on recently when I declared on the blog that I have been a plum to back Pardew.

I didn’t want to accept it because I hate jumping on the managers back, I still stand by what I’ve always said that some of the players need to take some flack but alas, I was a plum, Pardew does not learn from any of his mistakes and refuses to shoulder the crisis he has got us in.

I will miss the debates on said subject but no doubt sooner rather than later we will disagree on something else. ;) I look forward to it.

• 7 Big Pappa Cissé // May 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

@ Shane

Lest hope its a good omen then. At least if we lose you have something to look forward to whereas I will be miserable al week :) .

• 8 EastEndMagpie // May 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Completely agree except for Gouffy, I actually posted up the exact same team in a comment just after the liverpool game for west ham, except i thought shola should start, 4-4-2 like we beat manure, plain and simple, its our only chance. if benny starts i think he will rip them too shreds, a goal or 2 and an assist.

• 9 jail4pardew // May 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Carryingcoals, I reckon shola will start to help out with the ariel battle with andy carroll, especially from set plays and corners, matt Jarvis has very decent delivery, gouffy could well be knocked on the head and this will show yet again that Pardew is more worried about them, then setting up a team to win the game. my team v west ham

Elliot
    simpson (ouch)
    santon
    saylor
    mbiwa
    colocini (class reading of the game)
    sissoko (deeper)
    anita
    cabaye
    gouffran
    ben arfa
    cisse

Pardew may well play shola and of course Jonas and tiote, it needs shaking up and nobodys place should be guaranteed.

Pardew spoke yesterday that he has a strong belief in certain systems, well Alan keep to your system but it could cost us our premiership status if you don’t adapt now and again. simple as.

• 10 eaststandgeordie1982 // May 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

One day just one day pardumb will be gone and we can start to play football again and that day better fcuking hurry up.

• 11 PompeyJohn // May 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Simpson should definitely play. He’s been pretty solid in the games he has played and always tries his best and would presumably still do so in order to get a move. He can’t be any worse than Debuchy last week! I would play Perch as a holding midfielder as Tiote needs to take a valium and calm down a bit. If he gets sent off that’s us knackered.

• 12 magpie6699 // May 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Met some of the Benfica fans before the game – they wanted their photos taken in front of Sir Bobby – and they seemed like a nice bunch.

• 13 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

We can get beat trying or get beat not trying. If its the latter again and Pardicles regurguitates some old spin on tiredness, bad publicity, sink blocked, council tax rise or adverse phase of the freakin’ moon I will offer my services to pack him a flight bag and personally shove him on a connecting flight to mongolia. I tried to back you Pardster, but every time we were confident you would change things for the better, you did everything you could to prove your supporters were misguided.

You broke my heart Alan.

You broke my heart.

• 14 jail4pardew // May 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Pompey john colo is different class fro perch and would play a holding role brilliant imo, perch did not do much protecting v Liverpool did he, they had the kid for breakfast.

Pardew= Pathetic=arrogant=redundant=disastrous=erratic=wanker.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Well done Shane,good luck.
    I tried to defend Pardew and wanted him to succeed not necessarily because I like him but I like fifth place finishes and above so I will not class myself as a plum,it will or can now be always debated,that if he was backed in the summer would have last years momentum carried on just as if Gazza hadn’t of been booked in the semi final of Italia 90 would we have scored an extra time winner.

• 16 jail4pardew // May 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Pardew=painfull=arrogant=redundant=defensive=erratic=womaniser????

Got wrong for using the obvious!!!!ER

• 17 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Jail – we had every reason to back the man, but it beggars belief what he has managed to do with his influx of summer wonder signings and the returnees from injury. We now have an officially worse team than the one filled with Willo, Simmo, Perch, Obertan…

• 18 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I believed in Alan Pardew from day 1.

I thought he was the man to take us forward and make us a force again.

How wrong I was.

My heart has smashed into a thousand pieces, my soul lies broken on the floor.

Alan it could have been forever….

• 19 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I listened to total sport again tonight and there was anti Ashley sentiment on the airwaves ,one bloke who was black and white but with a proper makem accent,stuck up for Ashley by talking about Leeds and Pompey,I ask anybody were those two clubs owned outright by one of the richest men on Britain and did they both have Olympic venue stadiums .

• 20 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Death march plays as a line of supporters remove their hats to Alan Pardews black taxi rolling slowly over the redheugh bridge…..

• 21 Puppet Pardew // May 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Hi Fans,

It’s singles evening at my local Wetherspoons pub (can’t tell you which one as I don’t want too much competition). I’m sitting in the corner eyeing up the talent at the moment and typing this into my Smart Phone. Thought I’d do it now as by the time I have had a Bloody Mary or three I’m anybody’s I can tell you.

Still, I must remember to find time to watch that compilation video that Steve put together of West Ham at some point before picking the team. No need to really this time, as I know them back to front from my time there. Wait, there’s a real hottie there, and I’m sure those teeth are genuine as well.

It is West Ham tomorrow, isn’t it? Ah well, too late now, I’m already darn saath, as we civilised types like to say.

‘Scuse me, darlin’, do you use Steradent or have you simply contacted rabies?’

• 22 chesterlemag // May 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

First time poster here, I’ve been reading this blog for a few year now, I thought it’s probably time I joined in and it’s due to the fact at how angry I am been a toon fan atm!!! We are currently a laughing stock!what other club would let the numpty pardew run their club! For me he is a league 1 manager at best! Just thought I’d have a little rant!!

• 23 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

JFA

It almost like the unpalatable defence I often hear that without Ashley we would’ve gone backrupt.

Bullshit.

We might have been on the way to bankruptcy but if the fat knacker hadn’t of bought us out then someone else would’ve.

• 24 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Puppet Pardew – steer clear of those Shirley Temples, they will give you strong beer goggles…

• 25 yo-yo // May 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Beattie

Well you sure got the seven year itch prematurely.

I never wanted him but was persuaded by last season and my lingering doubts about Mutt and Jeff who never filled me with confidence they could run a football club. I don’t have the visceral hatred a lot on here seem to have for Pards but he has lost my trust as he is playing ugly and not winning either. He has been dealt a terrible hand this season though but he still has to go. He might not have lost the dressing room but he has lost SJP

• 26 JackButler // May 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

My stomach is in knot’s for the game tomorrow, if we don’t get a least a point I’m going into a forced hibernation until this bloody nightmare ends

• 27 yo-yo // May 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

and I have little faith in them upstairs either to put it right

• 28 boater // May 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

4-4-2; Benny, Cabaye, Tiote and Jonas in midfield; Cisse and Shola up front. At least everyone will know what they’re meant to be doing, and going toe to toe, with 6/ 7 out of 10 performances across the team should earn us a point.

• 29 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Well done Shane, hopefully it’s a good sign for the weekend lad.

• 30 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM

jail4pardew = nick bird

• 31 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Its depressing isn’t it – you can name endless permutations of what used to be very exciting players but you know you are going to end up with a shoddy half-hearted lacklustre display.

See how I did that? I didnt use the words Eating, Surrender, Monkey or Cheese.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Beattie,
    When I heard it was Pardew instead of Jol
    I was devastated in the same way I would have been if Curbishley or Peter Reid would have signed,and after witnessing the first game I got to after he took over a 2-1 win against Birmingham I said to my brother after listening to his lies and bullshit wait until the crowd turns on him next year,he won’t look so good in front of the camera,but alas we made some good signings and came out eleven unbeaten and I thought maybe this guy has got something about him and he won me over,I didn’t blame him for the December slump as ever I blamed Ashley for not buying a CB,and that’s why I was loath to blame him this year,I still think it was too much too late from Ashleys point of view but a better manager could have seen us now in a better position.

• 33 Black and White with an army lol // May 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

if jonas, tiote and shola start for tomorrow we are out and deservedly so, looking at WHU they have a strong team and they could panic against fast players so i would consider a 442 with goofy and cisse as strikers and have obertan and HBA on our wings with Cabaye and sissoko as our mids.

Elliot
    Simpson, Colo, Taylor, MYM
    HBA, Cabaye, Sissoko, Obertan
    Goofy, Cisse

if we don’t have these lads for tomorrow than Pard’s has once again proved that he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

• 34 Laurent Robert 32 // May 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I was absolutely gutted when Pardew got the job, but gave him support to start with as every new manager should have a chance to prove themselves.

He took over what I can only describe as an already up and running team from CH, sort of like a rolling tyre, which he hardly needed to even push with his hand to keep going.

Last season my dad and I would be coming away from games saying we haven’t played well there but still got points, mainly due to the quality of playing pulling something out of the magic bag, who in effect could probably play themselves without instruction sort of thing.

We were crying out for 433 all season and we played our best stuff as a 433 for half a dozen games, then he ditched it and for me the team has gone from bad to worse since.

This season we have had similar poor team performances except we havn’t picked up the points, which I dreaded may happen last season as it could have gone two ways this year. Start playing well and pick up points or continue to play poorly and pick up little.

It is similar poor performances without the points this year. With that, awful selections, tactics and philosophies and the worse we’ve got, the more he tries to deflect the blame away from himself. Any excuse is varied to what he can easily use for find and apply for each game.

As it stands now, I’m totally fed up with his negative tactics and disgusting arrogance.
    If he goes after the last day of the season, I just hope we get an experienced, positive European pedigree manager in to take this great club forward.

If we keep him on, I will again be gutted. With the way those players played under him last two home games I really think it has gone past the point of no return for him.

• 35 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I’v e been saying for hours er sorry weeks now that and average PL manager would at least attempt to stop the rot and get a solid defensive formation going so we could at least not leak goals. How could we ship 3 goals to a team whose top scorer not long ago was one of our players and who subsequently got polished by Villa of all the teams in all the world???

• 36 Black and White with an army lol // May 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Laurent Robert 32

well said mate

• 37 JackButler // May 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Even if we were to win the last three games I honestly believe that Pardews time will be over come the end of the month.

• 38 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM

It’s all pointless this football thing. There has to be others feeling worse than us.

There are more than 7 billion people on Earth.

There are more than 3,000 quintillion living organisms on the planet.

There are more than 1 septillion planets in the observable universe.

There is a possibility that infinite universes exist outside of our own.

It is argued that all of time exists in one singular moment meaning everything that has, does and ever will live is currently alive.

I’m sure NUFC isn’t the worst problem in existence.

However if we don’t win tomorrow…

• 39 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Beattie

These moments of bleak darkness are when you’re at your comedic best, that said though I’d rather we’re successful and you go back to being a dullard :P

• 40 Black and White with an army lol // May 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM

i think in some way Pardew knows he’s going at the end of the season and i think he wants to go out with a bang not because he wants to stay here i think it’s because he is very passionate about our club and football all together.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Tsunki ,
    I thought Id heard it all the other night when Pards said he was most worried about scoring goals after we just let in nine albeit without reply,maybe he has come round to the KK and SBR way of thinking that of they score we’ll score more.

• 42 Black and White with an army lol // May 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

i think now is the time for Pard’s not to worry about conceding more goals, we already have the worse record for goals against so he should really focus on getting as many goals as he can.

Cisse get a hatrick mate it’s long overdue

• 43 Big Pappa Cissé // May 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM

@ beattie

Haha, and that’s not including alternate reality’s :) . Who knows, maybe in one of them we win the Quadruple every year with 11 Geordies in the team ;)

• 44 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

If we play anywhere near the Man Utd away or the Arsenal away (first 70) we should batter West Ham.

I don’t think Alan has the balls though.

• 45 Newcastle for alltid // May 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

As much as I hope I’m wrong, I think we’ll lose tomorrow. We struggled against Liverpools pace and passing last week, tomorrow we’ll struggle with all the muscle in the West Ham team.
    We don’t have an overall gameplan, so outplaying us is quite easy, as we’ll never get the initiative in any game. When we on a rare occasion get some play going, it’s mostly wasted with failed crosses and wayward passes.

I’m not gonna fully analyze what’s wrong this time, as I feel what most people in here really agree that there’s something fundamentally wrong with tactics and coaching. So I’ll let that pass for now.

What I can’t overstate though is how disastrous being relegated would be for us. Last time around we had a core where Smith, Nolan, Harper, Barton etc. pulled the strings and simply didn’t allow any of the players to get complacent. As dark as those days were, the team spirit looked like it was really good.
    What we have now is a very mixed side, where you have players for whom Newcastle is “just another club”. If we do get relegated I struggle to see anyone else than Saylor and Ameobi really having any desire to fight in the Championship. By the time we play the first game (if in the Championship), Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Sissoko, Cissè among others either will be leaving or being busy discussing options with their agents. The impression I get is that quite a few of our players would think that they’re “too good” for the Championship. We’ll have a hard time going straight up again this time around IMO.

• 46 Puppet Pardew // May 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Single’s Night part 2.

“I know you, don’t I? You’re famous, innit? Ain’t you Gary Numan or Colonel Ed Straker or something?”
    “Let’s see how the evening goes, darlin’, and all will be revealed.”
    “Mine’s a triple vodka by the way, handsome. Oh and the same for my friend… …actually it’s my mother?”
    “I thought you were alone?”
    “Well that sort of depends on how rich you are….”
    PP fiddles with trouser pocket
    “See this, darlin’….?
    “Oh my gawwwd, it’s massive!!”
    “Yep, and that’s only my gambling debts from last month! Now, you must admit, I would have to be pretty fabulously rich to have that much debt, and still be alive to tell the tale, eh, darlin’….?
    “(
    whispers) Mother – I’ve hit pay dirt big time with this one, now you can p*** off. Oh but before you go leave me a tab or two of Steradent , would you…? Look I think that old bloke in the corner is giving you the eye, he’s coming over!”
    “Anything wrong, darlin’?”
    “Oh no, it’s just my mum has just scored with that old geezer… ‘Ere! Why are you hiding your head under the table, ducks?”
    “It’s the price of fame, darlin’…… is he gone yet? (tries to shuffle off but bumps into approaching old geezer) Oh hello there, Derek. Erm, yes, I realise I am a few days overdue with last month’s payment, but I was hoping you could stretch it until after the game tomorrow…. No? Erm, well fancy a swift half instead….?”
    “Ere, Snow White, never mind buying him a beer – where’s our bleedin’ vodkas got to?”

• 47 beefman13 // May 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

A late Benny winner 2moro for the toon, but we have got to learn from our mistakes, I cannot abide this fella in charge ie pardew!!!!

• 48 Beattie25 // May 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

BPC

That’s true.

In one reality I’m the Geordie number 9 knocking in a double hat trick.

In another I support the scum.

In one I’m banging Angelina Jolie.

In another I’m getting banged by John O’Shea.

It’s all pointless ultimately. Life might just be insignificant in the grand scheme of things so you might as well just laugh and enjoy it.

Unless you support God damn NUFC then all you can laugh at is people falling over on youtube.

• 49 Captain Jack // May 3, 2013 at 8:27 PM

The secret of beating WHU tomorrow is pace as their defence takes longer to turn than the Queen Mary…has to be Gouffy and Cisse up front in a 442 Cabaye pushed up providing the ammo, Sissoko sitting back. I suspect Andy Carroll may have a quiet day tomorrow if he wants to be playing premier league football next season.

• 50 Laurent Robert 32 // May 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM

As I mentioned before though, Ashley may indeed have Pardew already down as a dead man walking, so to speak. This lets him get on with researching talking to Carr and appointing someone else whilst Pardew is taking the flak on the front line from the remainder of the season. Come the end of the season, if we stay up, he may swiftly move to letting Pardew go and already have his new man ready to come in straight away.

I am worried who a new guy could be though. Ashley has to make a good choice.

For me, Keegan was a good choice, however NOT if Ashley was going to limit spending, as you cannot have Kev in charge and not expect him to want the very best players almost instantly. Not happening, therefore he was a poor choice, even though he got us playing much improved performances in the short time he was here again.

If a European pedigree manager came in it would be interesting to see some of our players getting a big boost and a new lease of life. Who knows, Amalfitano may even get some run outs.

• 51 Big Pappa Cissé // May 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM

We should play 4-3-3 tomorrow with quick counter attacking football.

—————————–Elliot——————————-

–Simpson——–Taylor——–Collocini——–M’biwa–

———-Sissoko———-Cabaye———–Anita———–

————HBA————Cisse———–Gouffran——–

This 4-3-3 should work better with Gouffran replacing Ba on the left and if Parrdew had the balls that team would get us the points needed to survive.

• 52 low fell mag // May 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Just finished reading tonights evening chronicle,and it seems like all the players are hurting badly and cannot wait for the game to start ,So please Alan put the players in their true positions, and Attack .,and please start ben arfa.
    My predictions West Ham2 Nufc2 Scum 0 Stoke 1, West Brom 2 Wigan1

• 53 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

black and white army lol.
    very rarely i insult another poster without first being insulted my self,but you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

• 54 yo-yo // May 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

LFM

Let’s hope we don’t need a 0-6 drubbing to get us going every other game

• 55 beefman13 // May 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Benny and the Jets!

• 56 Assam Toon // May 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

nice to see a benfica fan supporting us, considering i was supporting the beautiful benfica side yesterday, whatever we get out of the match tomorow is down to our efforts and heart to stay in the league.
    just want to stay that the line up for tomorrow is anybody;s guess except that williamson is a good option aginst ariel threats and anita in the full back vacancy is much more assuring than jonas.
    would bring on jonas only if we lead by a couple of goals in last 20 minutes…he who delays the play and wins free kicks.
    otherwise, nothing else matters now, u want to win or you don’t, that’s all.
    will be surprised if there are players who still dont know what it is to win for the magpies.

• 57 yo-yo // May 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Beattie

With an infinite number of alternative universes there’ll be one where Pardew wins the EPL with Angelina as the Toon’s top scorer.

• 58 Slatymag // May 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

@ Shane

Well done, and good luck in your new job.

@ Beattie25

Don’t Panic.

• 59 yo-yo // May 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Herald yesterday has Ross County keen to sign Abeid. A long way for Kets to go for games

• 60 Black and White with an army lol // May 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Jail for Ashley

correction, i know what i’m talking about

• 61 mattnufc // May 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Is it Pardew’s fault for being inept or Ashley’s fault for hiring him?

Anyway, tomorrow I actually don’t want us to line up 4-3-3 as most of West Ham’s attacks comes from their flanks – 4-4-2 for me.

• 62 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

B&W+army – I think post 40 got you the plaudits mate ha ha :)

low fell mag – players in true positions? You might well be onto something there sir! :)

• 63 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

yo yo,
    I wish I could find links to every Pardew interview like Laurent did earlier but (just before Man city at home) :
    If we score to early it might make us nervous.
    After Liverpool at home :
    Conceding early put us on the back foot.

I think personally it has been found out at other clubs that he has mental health issues and therefore is no longer employable.

• 64 yo-yo // May 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I’m going with AP knowing he’s dead man walking and wanting to do the best for us last three games.

Call me sentimental

• 65 Black and White with an army lol // May 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Tsunki

but isn’t it true mate Pardew has set Newcastle up for a defensive team not a attacking team meaning Pardew goals for the season was probably infact to concede less goals rather than go all out attack

• 66 Slatymag // May 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I couldn’t give a monkey’s if we line up 442 433 or 811, as long as we get at least a point.

I’m sure Pardew has a cunning plan so devious…or maybe he’s relying on the law of averages and thinks his tactics have got to work at least once sooner or later.

Shola and Sammy centre backs, and Benny between the sticks – lavvaly!

• 67 Laurent Robert 32 // May 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Big Pappa – 49. Would love to see that team, but in reality, it could be another abomination of personnel.

It’s almost like we’re in the 12th round and down on points in a boxing match, we need to knock the guy out (not Pardew, the opposition). The only way to do that is by being positive and attacking the opposition.

We’ve seen what happens when we try to defend, it rarely works.

IF we do attack, and can get a win, I’m sure it has been down to the pressure from the players and hopefully influence from the coaches which have forced/over-ruled the change.

Of course Pardew and his arrogance will attempt to claw in every praise going like he’s collecting gold tokens in the Crystal Maze’s Crystal Dome.

Even mummsie would give Pardew a slap.

• 68 low fell mag // May 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

This cant be right Im a grown up bloke in his 50s @ ive got the butterflies,
    Im like 10 year old who is waiting in the dentists, for a filling and you can hear the drill on some other poor kid already in the chair. Proper crapping my pants.

• 69 Jail for Ashley // May 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Bw army lol,
    Forgive me for being rude but Pardew doesn’t give a fusk about anything or anybody but himself.FACT so don’t say im wrong.

• 70 toonicle // May 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Here’s the lineup i’ve wanted since January( except the injured Santon and Haidara), hopefully we’ll see it tomorrow.

Debuchy—Colo—Taylor—Mbiwa
    ——–Sissoko——–Anita
    Cabaye
    HBA——–Cisse———-Goofy

Socks and Anita together will boss midfield, Cabaye playing ahead of them will finally give him the opportunity to get creative passes up to those front 3.

• 71 Laurent Robert 32 // May 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM

toonicle, I totally agree.

• 72 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

@toonicle
    Debuchy suspended for west ham game

• 73 toontillidie // May 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Due to the Goal leakage in the last two home games i feel that experience will be used in the squad tomorrow this is what i think the line up will be.

——————————-Harps————————————
    Simmo———Sayls—————Colo(c)——————Jonas

HBA ———-Cabs—————-Sissoko—————Goofy

——————–Cisse————-Shola———————–

Subs: Elliot Mbiwa Williamson Perch Anita Tiote Campbell on the bench

further into the game bring Guti up to LM Shola off For Mbiwa to go at LB and Push Goofy into a striking position That would work i feel

• 74 toonicle // May 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Ah yes forgot he’s out too, I suppose that means Simpson has to play there. He did fine for us in the Europa games, not too worried about that.

• 75 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM

@63 – I would posit our GD serves to rebuff your theory vis-a-vis a defensive arrangement.

We have seen many permutations of a bungled defence, fronted by possibly the most haphazard midfield in many league – this is the car with a misfiring engine, it does little going forward, which makes one think it must be a team lying back, but it isnt. It is a midfield which can not build an attack, has no power on the wings and no delivery from any angle hence no scoring from the corner for going on 2 years. Meanwhile this same midfield loses possession with alarming ease and exposes our weakly-drilled defence horribly.

By defensive I mean a truly well-organised back line that stays in position and can rely on dm(s) to drop back into holes when needed. What we do is push up in midfield and invite our defenders up to be carved like a roast chicken. One that is well and truly stuffed.

• 76 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM

We need to start with a high tempo game against the hammers or we will play into big Sam’s hands

• 77 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Simpson at RV, Willo and Colo paired in the middle, Perch cutting midfielders down, Obertan striding into oblivion, Shola with his back to goal falling over. Happy days. We used to win at least half our games with that lot.

• 78 santonthenewmaldini // May 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I am a bit worried about the Wigan West Brom game

West Brom really did not try against us in the 1st half if they play like that against Wigan in the 1st half Wigan could be about 2 or 3 goals too the good !

I hope we get the win 2moro but I actually think Sunderland will go down overall as they will lose every game it will be nervy for every team

• 79 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Simmo at RB. He will be in a RV in the summer no doubt.

• 80 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

daztoon – what, like ‘Staying Alive’ or more like ‘Firestarter’?

• 81 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Tsunki
    What ever floats yer boat

• 82 Dennis Twice // May 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

A late winner 2morow for the toon…over the moon!!!

• 83 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

well its finally happened, me and the mrs finally at loggers over stupid little petty things.
    The stress and anger over the last few weeks have finally taken its toll on my marriage, luckily my wife blames pardew for the little bust ups.
    All was not to bad untill one blazing row last night when my wife had just about enough of football and declared in a loud screatching voice ” thats it, you think more of newcastle utd than you do of me” not going to let her get the final word , i swiftly replied ” i think more of sunderland than i do of you ” i knew i had pushed too far at this point as i noticed a clenched fist heading my way, luckily i was sober and managed do duck. glad we both seen the funny side later on though.

• 84 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM

@Stuart
    Yer a brave man mate so how’s the couch

• 85 Graeme // May 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Cant see any point in Bambi starting as he only has 20 minutes left in him – not even as a 3rd CB – he would be bound to put it in the wrong bloody goal lol

• 86 Dannyo // May 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Sissoko may not play tomorrow lads, has picked up a knock.

• 87 89Norcal // May 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

where did you hear that Dannyo

• 88 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Hoof ball to Shola it is then

• 89 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM

daz —- still in tact ! and thought i’d use it to my advantage later on that night ! hehe.

• 90 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

@stuart
    Lol.Why is it I’m still looking forward to the game tomorrow even though I know Pardew will again ruin it for us

• 91 Dannyo // May 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

@89Norcal
    Twitter mate. Via @nufcfans.

• 92 santonthenewmaldini // May 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

@Dannyo

That actually might not be that bad a result if Sissoko is injured cause he has been shite for a while and it means Pardew wont be able to play him as the no 10

• 93 santonthenewmaldini // May 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

If Sissoko is out then back to basics 442 then?

Elliot Gk
    Simpson
    Colo
    Taylor
    Mbiwa LB
    Arfa RW
    Cabaye
    Tiote
    Jonas LW
    Gouffran CF
    Cisse CF

Jonas can do what he does best protecting the full back and Arfa can have a free role knowing Simpson will not venture too far forward I feel Tiote would suit playing in this formation and probably Cabaye at least they know what to do in this formation look at bit lost in the current one we play

• 94 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

daz — could it be that being a masochist is part and parcel of supporting the lads , drummed into us at a very early age ? saying that , i’m going to have words with me dad tomorrow- bas…d !

• 95 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Heard Shane Ferguson could be linking up with squad tomorrow on the bench at least

• 96 Dannyo // May 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

@daztoon
    He’s been with the first team squad this afternoon. He was spotted at Canary Wharf, Cabot Sq by the bridge

• 97 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

@stuart
    For sure mate watched some poor performances over my 30 odd years supporting the toon but never seen such a gutless performance as last Saturday

• 98 Dannyo // May 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM

@santonthenewmaldini
    Hope there’s plenty of patience with for him though.
    18 apps, 3 goals and 5 assists quite decent for a player in a new league from January and has changed position from a DM.

He’ll sort himself out. Still very young!

• 99 papscrunt // May 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I’d love to see two up top myself. But does anyone actually think Pardew will go into away game with two up top? I reckon Frank Pingel showing up as ball boy is more likely than two up top.

• 100 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

daz — my fu…king grandad has never seen such a shocking display as last week !

• 101 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

@dannyo
    Last I heard his last training session was with Birmingham today and he was to meet up in London with the lads tomorrow.
    Inman is also back now I think would be worth a punt from the Bench instead of Strolla.

• 102 santonthenewmaldini // May 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

@Dannyo

Oh I love Sissoko I just feel that he is totally burnt out cause we have played him every game and out of position this is one of Pardews major failings he plays his favourites till they crash and burn with injuries then plays someone else till he can rush the favourites back and he wonders why players are tired and the reserves dont try when they get brought on?!?!

I think eventually when he gets moved into the Yaya Toure role next season he will be excellent but I think he could do with a rest dont risk him and hopefully have him back for QPR

• 103 Dannyo // May 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

@daztoon
    Inman played in the U21s tonight against Bolton, so he’s not going anywhere just yet.
    Sammy, Campbell and Fergy with the 1st team though.

• 104 Dannyo // May 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM

@santonthenewmaldini
    We’re at the same wavelength then.
    I can quite clearly see Sissoko as a box to box midfielder like Yaya. Strong and loads of stamina plus pace. Excellent player to carry the ball from the deep. So much more of a player than just breaking up play. Play Cabaye ahead of him to spray balls in the final 3rd.

I’m telling you, I’ve got it all figured out, lol.

• 105 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM

papscrunt —–frank pingal- now your talking football !!

• 106 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM

@stuart
    Man even Cunningham and rob mcdonald put in more effort and they were pure shite.
    wouldn’t mind some kind of roll for Ando even if it was for him to kick em up the arse

• 107 Dearka // May 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

my team for west ham match

Elliot
    Yanga-Mbiwa Coloccini (c) Taylor (S) Perch
    Ben Arfa Cabaye Tiote Gouffran
    Sissoko
    Cisse

Subs: Harper Williamson Gutierrez Anita Obertan Ameobi (Sh)

• 108 Big Pappa Cissé // May 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Sissoko is perfect for counter attacking football. His pace on the break would be amazing. The guy is wasted as a winger or no.10 IMO

• 109 santonthenewmaldini // May 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Ferguson has been really good on loan for Birmingham although its probably not right to throw him right into the deep end just hope Pardew does not think about just chucking him into left back

The boy is a natural byline hugging old fashioned winger where he can put in quality into the box without thinking about it I think that is one of Pardew’s biggest faults is that I think he tries to over complicate things rather than putting players into their natural positions he wants to try and be “continental” with players playing on their wrong foots etc

I am still going for a Toon 2 – 1 victory

One of my mates who lives down in London got a ticket for the game with people from his work who are all hammers fans he will need to keep quiet if we score!!

ha ha

• 110 Big Pappa Cissé // May 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I really hope we stay up as one day I want to see this team fully fit:

——————————-Krul——————————-

–Debuchy——–M’biwa——–Collocini——–Santon–

—————-Sissoko———————Anita————–

———-HBA————-Cabaye————Marveaux—-

——————————-Cisse——————————

Subs: Elliot,Taylor,Haidara,Gutierrez,TioteBigirimana
    ,Gouffran

Best starting 11 and subs bench we have IMO. That would give most PL teams a good game and on paper should be challenging with Liverpool & Everton for Europe.

• 111 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

daz —- what – cunningham sh.te ? haway . he lives not far away from me now, hes a solicitor . i see him in his garden sometimes and remind him of the chant we had for him – hes black – hes broon – hes playing for the toon, and also the nic name we gave him , blackie milburn haha. he still looks at playing here as the best time of his playing days. jeez , yeah i suppose he must have been sh//te- nice bloke though.

• 112 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

@stuart
    Would have loved to have seen Berbatov partner Cisse

• 113 Joe Blog // May 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM

So, as we’ve had all week to recover, are we all plumped up, chests puffed out with renewed hope, awaiting the inevitable body blow to knock the stuffing out of us again?

Thought so. It’s the only way. ;)

• 114 Big Pappa Cissé // May 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

@ daz

Me too m8, The guy oozes class. That’s where our transfer policy needs to be looked at IMO. Just because someone is 30 doesn’t mean they would not be a good signing for a few years. I reckon if we had Berbatov we would have been safe by now.

• 115 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

@pappa
    The man links everything together is the perfect no 10

• 116 ErnestHemingway // May 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Tsunki

Are you after Henry winters job? Lots of flowery language in your post.

• 117 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM

daz – i was hoping berbatov would have signed for us before he signed for fulham .
    I thought he really wanted to come here being a toon fan but maybe years may pass him bye and the opportunity lost . sad really .

• 118 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM

@stuart
    Still got a few seasons in him yet I’d still sign him now.

• 119 santonthenewmaldini // May 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Berbatov would have been amazing for us not only would he have been a great player but he is also a leader you can be certain that he would have got the likes of Krul told not to launch it over his head every chance he gets

He would not have allowed any hoofball it would be too his feet or he would have went mental !

• 120 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

To get the best out of Cisse he needs a Berba type partner up front

• 121 Tsunki // May 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Ernest @116 – of course. Its called English. As you well know, you and I are bastions of the literary standard. Otherwise we would all be like Beattie ha ha ha boom boom that’s how you do that …..

• 122 stuart no9 // May 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

daz — yes he has – not many,- but could still do a job in the prem , but not for newcastle ! – not in ashleys age bracket , and out of our price range- the fee + wage package for a 32 year old would not be of any interest to ash.

• 123 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

@stuart
    Shame Cisse would be a 20+ goals with Berba as a partner.
    I think we really are cursed we get a billionaire owner who cares more for advertising his retail store than the toon.A manager who still uses a chalk board for his 90s tactics and a leaderless team on the field

• 124 stuart no9 // May 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM

daz – the annoying thing is – the bloke who bought man -c put an offer in for newcastle, but ashley rejected it!, it was a fair offer too, so he went and bought city instead,! the rest is history,

• 125 daztoon-anti christ is that the time // May 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

@stuart
    I know mate could only happen at the toon

• 126 LeToonARMY // May 4, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Eliot
    Perch Taylor Collo Yanga
    Cabaye Tiote
    HBA Sissoko Gouffran
    Cisse

previous post: Pardew – Nobody Will Break My Spirit – I’m Trying To Put It Right

next post: Kevin Nolan – Newcastle Players Must Stick Together