Great Wigan Win – We Had Good Goal Disallowed – Pardew

Both Aston Villa and Wigan Athletic picked up vital away wins today and the Latics are now just 3 points behind Newcastle with a game in hand which they play on Tuesday night, and Villa are now two points ahead of us, after being three points behind us two games ago.

alan pardew at west ham

Alan Pardew – yesterday at Upton Park

Alan Pardew seemed happy enough with a point after the game – but we really needed the win and we h the chances to win the game – but again we couldn’t put the ball home and have scored just three goals in our last seven league games – and that;s simply not good enough.

Alan Pardew though it was a great win for Wigan:

“It was a great win for Wigan and it has put extra pressure on us and all those around us,” “But you can only do what you can in a game and I thought we were terrific in the first half.”

“I thought we had a legitimate goal that was chalked off.” “I thought it was in at the time. I saw the linesman slip over and it worried me because he is in line with that, and if he hasn’t seen it.”

“I asked him at half-time and he said he had seen it. I don’t know how he did that. It was down to the referee then. I thought by West Ham’s reaction it looked in. And sometimes player reactions tell you everything.”

“In the second half our flair players faded, Hatem Ben Arfa in particular, unfortunately for us,” “We lacked a little bit of punch.” “We had to roll our sleeves up in the last 15 minutes, defend well and the goalie played well.”

“And we dispelled some of the stupid myths that have been thrown around about us – that there is a rift and a lack of unity.” “We put that to bed today, now we have got to show the quality in the group to get us out of this mess that we are in.”

Well, we can talk about it for the next week, but the only truth is that we took one point out of the game yesterday – and we must win at least one of our last two games, if we are to stand a chance of avoiding the drop.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

stuart, what we can hope for is if Hughton can be sacked for another manager to take us forward, the same could easily apply for Pardew.

I think he had his vote of confidence in January. His failure to get us to at least midtable safety combined with going out of Europe before the 1/2?s could hardly go unnoticed.

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM

The myths have been put to bed…. really, is this the best we can hope we play…. i sure hope not because if its so then Remy will give a bloody good schooling when we play QPR.

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 5, 2013 at 12:36 AM

@kevin, i can hardly say that not making the semis in the europa is something to be sacked for, the league, oh yes please sack this incompetent man, but to be honest benfica are in the final, and could win and showed that we were almost capable of matching them

• daztoon-anti christ is that the time

May 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM

@zero
    Elliot was outstanding today mate were a few of the Liverpool goals where I think he could have done better but he is a more than capable deputy.A bit like Harps was to Given.
    I’d have given Campbell a run today mix it up a bit I’m sure Big Sam was expecting Strolla at some point

• manxpie

May 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM

ruddy well thanks for that you’ve just totally contradicted your 1st post so well done oh and your 1 about me not replying with insults haha!!
    i find it really funny how only the other day you were telling me not to push my point forcebly but you look a twat now don’t ya!!

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM

We certainly possess the quality to beat QPR and I expect we won’t be guarding the draw there. All I’m praying for is a little luck, no injuries this week and a couple results our way. But I feel it will go to the wire and Arsenal will need a win in the last game.

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

NBA – not really, if Pardew won the thing and got us safe, he’d have some ground to stay for next season. I am merely suggesting he doesn’t have that to bail himself out. In the eyes of his superiors, not the fans. Though I’d probably swallow it too somehow if I experienced a trophy and a final day survival combined.

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

manxpie…. have you answered my questions yet? nope thought not, i find it rarther amusing that you are just as bad as the posters you slate.

• Joe Blog

May 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Doesn’t take much for his cockiness levels to go up a notch – we only drew 0-0 Pardupe.

• manxpie

May 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

kevinhann err no!!

• daztoon-anti christ is that the time

May 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM

@kevin
    To be honest mate I think the Qpr game will be harder than the Arsenal game as we expect nothing from them.Will Remy be the one to sink us and will floppy chops have the last laugh

• manxpie

May 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

zero ask me again if you ain’t noticed ive been answerin a few so ask me again plz?

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Manxpie you do come across somewhat trollish, you simply post sometimes to get a rise out of catchy or ruddy, knowing fullwell their responses then spend three or four posts using their irrational heated comments to put down all anti pards people or arguements without substaniating your propards view.

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

manxpie see the previous thread i would love to know your views, im not trying to start an arguement just simply curious to your stand point

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM

manxpie – I tend to look at it as a list of priorities. We need to keep key players, and bring new ones over the summer. Some rebuilding of our reputation as a club would help. Whatever Pardew did wrong this entire season, winning a trophy combined with the injuries and a midtable finish would actually increase his stock (which is still possible and I believe we would have gotten it if we didn’t lose to Benfica in such a manner).

I’m not discussing his likability. What troubles me most at this moment is his ability to keep the players motivated and believing. I think that’s gone now or it’s down to pure professionalism and bits of loyalty.

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

daztoon – it won’t be easier. I fear the players may crumble much more if we need a result at home and know there is no going back once it’s over. No need to analyze, remember our last two home games?

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

@Kevin,
    im struggling to workout if hes lost the dressing room, its really strange, the lads were putting in good shifts around christmas, aswell as in the Europa league… i think we were unlucky to go out, maybe with Ba, or Remy or even another striker we would have made the semis, then who knows… but thats a big IF.

My main consern is some of the bizzare team selections and positionings, i really think pards may be just hitting and hoping now.

Last season we won ugly at somepoints, but we loooked like a team, some of the tactics we old but they were effective, no one can blame pards for trying to replicate that. However i just dont get why he does what he does, like shipping out Cisse to the wing, bringing on shola or playing jonas.

• stuart no9

May 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM

repost.

kevinhann @ 16 yep pardew was giving a vote of confidence in jan.
    Ashley had a decision to make – does he sack pardew and get a new face in to secure our prem status , or does he keep him and get him the players he wants , ? he picked wrong, and now not only do the fans have to suffer ( again) but that poor decision by ash could cost him about 70M.
    Yeah they are mates , but if my mate just cost me 70M i would want to chin him , never mind sack him.

• daztoon-anti christ is that the time

May 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM

@stuart
    For sure mate Lambert has had some real beatings this season and the man deserves a lot of credit for getting the best out of what he has and finishing strong

• AndyNUFC

May 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Kevin, no offence, but it sounds as though every post you’re trying to gather a cult of necrophiliacs to tweet you.

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM

@Zero

I don’t think he has lost it. My gut feeling is Europe was the psychological carrot for the players and once it vanished, they were stripped of any feeling of possible accomplishment and completely demoralized to find themselves in looming relegation struggle. They were shocked and to be honest I don’t think Pardew could have prevented that whatever his selection, formation or game plan.

The reason I would like another manager installed is I believe the positives of a fresh start are overwhelming, especially at the risk of losing key players in the summer, even if we survive. We will surely buy others but the team will need another half a season to gel then and we would probably challenge for midtable finish. While a high profile name can really kick-start things and see us closer to the top teams, especially if we do well in the first few games.

All that assuming we manage to avoid relegation.

Up for some twitter talk? Join me @ColdInTheNight

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM

@Andy

I’m sorry, is it annoying? I just intended to keep it as signature and get in touch with some of you, guys. In a Newcastle-related chat way.

Why? Any necrophiliacs around? 🙂

• stuart no9

May 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM

typical pardew comments @ “we were terrific in the first half” what he means is ” it was a vast improvement on last week ” we havnt been terrific all season ! ” we jaded in the 2nd half ” tel me something new alan !
    There was nothing different in that performence to suggest we are in trouble, and we better start playing football to get out of this mess i have put you in .

• manxpie

May 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM

zero seriously??/
    i’ve been on here for over 2 years and have always joined in on many posts ask transfer or anyone else
    i’ve stated many times my hatred of catchy for a long time too
    he’s only ever on here in turmoil and your questioning my faith in all things nufc?/
    and i’ve had no problem with ruddy till tonight with him calling me silly,a moron and i think he called me an idiot aswell wouldn’t you take offence with that all i have posted is my views on the team n pardew and i’ve posted many a time about the problems we’ve had this season which is not all down to pardew if there was a better manager available that ashley would pay for then ofcourse i’d want that!
    i wasn’t on after the liverpool game because i couldn’t be arsed arguing the same things that have been argued over n over and was shocked by the performance but again was pardew the full reason for it infact the second half of that game we lost 4-0 with most peoples starting team but again he gets slaughtered!
    there’s alot of pressure at this kind of season so i can understand sum situations but yeah i can also understand that sum of his choices are strange but i still think he deserves a chance if we stay up with his squad fully fit
    thats all i’ve ever said so no trolling here man!

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 1:05 AM

@stuart

Probably it wasn’t a wrong decision, could come good in the end. Given we survive, of course.

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Does a manager that lead a team into a hole, get credit for getting them out of one? How will we feel about pards if he gets a win at QPR and a draw at Arsenal?

Im not pro pards by any stance, i think hes very one dimensional and stuck in the 80’s however, we do have an extremely out of form striker and a a pretty much new defense. If we do stay up and manager to sign a good striker and a good feeding midfielder like de jong from ajax then, he has no excuses, give him the first 5 matches to see what happens.

Lets face it lads, we aint getting a new manager this season, and i doubt we will get one for next season unless we are relegated, so on a brighter note, what does pards need not to f*ck things up and create a more attacking team. ATM we donot have a fully fit attacking squad selection….

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM

How will we feel about pards if he gets a win at QPR and a draw at Arsenal?

Lets face it lads, we aint getting a new manager this season, and i doubt we will get one for next season unless we are relegated, so on a brighter note, what does pards need not to screw things up and create a more attacking team. ATM we donot have a fully fit attacking squad selection.

If this gets posted three times i do apologise but the site is screwing up for me lol

• daztoon-anti christ is that the time

May 5, 2013 at 1:09 AM

@manxpie
    You can’t justify most people’s starting line up lost 4-0 when the team that started the second half were already chasing a 2-0 scorline from Pardews negative starting line up

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 5, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Manx

I’m sick of this season, I’m sick of Pardew and I am sick of people like you sticking up for him.

As for contradicting myself, I think I can maintain a degree of integrity even by doing so, such is my superiority 😉

As for looking like a twat it would seem the pot is calling the kettle black.

When Pardew is sacked, and it will be imminent then who will you rush to defend?

My allegiances are to my club, whereas yours are with this con man of a manager

• manxpie

May 5, 2013 at 1:10 AM

did the players today look like they were against the manager??
    we played well and pardew was barking them on at every oppertunity didn’t look like they were against him to me?

• daztoon-anti christ is that the time

May 5, 2013 at 1:12 AM

@zero
    I don’t think Cisse is out of form he needs service and today proved with the only chance he had he was unlucky not to score

• Laurent Robert 32

May 5, 2013 at 1:12 AM

It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if we couldn’t get any points from the QPR game. If we did go ahead, you just know we’ll be sitting back trying to defend it for the second half.

“we had to dig in” “we had to roll up our sleeves” all making it sound like we’ve held up a dam with our bare hands, when in fact we are giving the opposition just more ammunition to attack us and it forces us to to park the bus AGAIN. Criminal.

Pardew thinks he’s a tactical genius and can just revert to ultra defensive once we go ahead, but it’s awful and doesn’t realise that he’s actually harming the side. How he can get a job managing a Premier League club is beyond me. He has no clue of how to play pass and move football which our players are more suited to. He just keeps applying his lower league direct style.

Cisse on the right AGAIN for half an hour is a waste of time. Do we wonder why the lad hasn’t scored as many this season? It’s outrageous management and the tip of the ice berg.

I hope he is relieved of his duties the night after the last game of the season, with a proven European manager immediately brought in. As long as we stay up of course.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Also, earlier you were slating Anita in order to justify your continued support of Pardew despite the fact that technically he is twice the player of Gutierrez, Tiote and Perch.

Your pandering knows no bounds.

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM

lol Manxpie none of that post really equates to keeping him though i mean comeone the mans broken all the worst records possible, but personally i think its a minefield, theres far to much happened this season that was out of his control …injuries etc. like you say you can only work with what you are given. My main gripe with the man is he doesnt appear to learn from his mistakes, his pushing cisse to the wing for ba was unforgivable in my eyes… a clear representation of his squad selection based on favouritism not ability.

Why he plays jonas, i dont think any of us will ever know, and why put shola on instead of campbell, if we get relageted campbell will HAVE to be our next Carroll and drag our ass out the championship, might aswell give the lad a chance now give him some experience.

• AndyNUFC

May 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Nah not annoying Kevin, I think you’re totally right about the Europa. Christ imagine if we had 2 games of semi finals to fit in on top of our league crisis! The home leg score vs Benfica and Cisse chance today sums our season up – can’t get over the finish line to press on for a result to send us to the next level.

Quite unbelievable when you count the internationals in our team. We should be midtable easy but I think the Montpellier manager Girard makes sense next year, not only for Ashley as he’s free, but because he won the title on a budget with young players – provided we stay up!

• stuart no9

May 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM

andy – what makes you think i have a burning desire to have a sexual relationship with a corpse ????

• stavros

May 5, 2013 at 1:19 AM

manxpie

Who is to blame? Aston Villa have had just as many injuries with a far inferior squad. Instead of 5 new players including 3 internationals as re-enforcements they’ve had to settle for children and a new manager. They are above us.

The results alone aren’t the reason people want Pardew to be sacked. It’s that he’s made a lot of mistakes and doesn’t learn from them.

Last week the team were hugely disorganized, shocking at the back, showed a lack of passion and were unable to string too passes together. Is the manager not at fault for that? In this case it’s worse because the manager is also the defensive coach.

• KevinHann

May 5, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Just to set the record straight, I’m pretty much alive and kicking, regardless of the team I support.

I can’t help but think if we saw Benfica off, we’d have gone on to win at least one of the Prem games since then. And wouldn’t have conceded 9 against Sunderland and Liverpool.

• manxpie

May 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM

well i’m glad your not acting superiour then ruddy 🙂
    do you not think i’m not sick of this season, do you not think i’m not sick of hearing pardew out or the word cluless
    the fact is i’ve give reasons for this season being terrible and actually looking at the bigger picture instead of blaming 1 guy i’m a moron or an idiot!? really??
    so i apologise for actually putting a reasoned argument to the continuous pardew out brigade on a nufc BLOG because i believe this season has been a nightmare from the shite summer transfer window we had!!
    but hey how dare i!

• Zero

May 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Daz cisse has been out of form all season, his touch has been too heavy more times than not, and some of his goals have been fluky not awe inspiring. he has missed more sitters than id like to think about, although i carnt really blame him, he went from being the next best thing, clubs like mancity watching in awe, chelsea fearing his presence…to being shipped out to the side in favour of a different player.

I think his head dropped for a while, i dont doubt his commitment to the club, i dont think he will even move if we are relegated…. i do think hes lost faith in his manager, as he probably thinks his manager doesnt believe in him.