Where’s The Return From Bringing In Five Frenchmen In January?

One win and five points in the last seven games is the reason why Newcastle are in the position we are, when we had looked to be fairly safe in the league before that streak started – we were in 13th place after 29 games with 33 points.and 5 points above 3rd bottom – six with goal difference – which was then -10. It’s now -23.

mike ashley   -880074675

Mike Ashley – no wonder he looks worried

The good news is that we now have Fabricio Coloccini back in the side, and the Argentine looked solid at the back in the game at West Ham on Saturday.

That followed Newcastle’s worst home defeat since 1925, when the players and manager shamed Newcastle United by losing 6-0, and some of our players gave up – and that is completely inexcusable.

And the manager is now saying we are playing with injured players – and why do we think these are messages meant for Mike Ashley’s and Derek LLambias – in an attempt to save his job?

This is what Alan Pardew said today:

“We have some problems,” “Ben Arfa has been struggling with this hamstring injury. He has a slight weakness in there and it won’t even be strong I don’t think for six or seven weeks.”

“He was terrific at West Ham and he’s a match winner.” “We’ve been bringing him on after halftime but we missed him when we took him off at West Ham. We missed that little thrust he gives us.

“Then, unfortunately, Shola hurt his knee with almost the first shot he had. So we were carrying him for the rest of the match. It was unfortunate we couldn’t totally push for the winning goal.”

“We knew the Wigan score so we were pushing where we could.”“ For Hatem another week’s work will get him closer and hopefully Shola is OK. But goalscoring is what wins games, and we’ve got to improve that area for next week.”

Whatever has happened when the final whistle blows in the Arsenal game a week on Sunday, in our very last league game – there will be a massive clean-out of fringe players.

The only difference between us being relegated and staying up will be who we will not sell this summer.

If we stay up we’ll try to keep all our best players, but if go down we’ll probably unload players like Yohan Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Moussa Sissoko, Papiss Cisse and Mathieu Debuchy – and maybe even Tim Krul – and ensure we have a side tough enough and good enough to come straight back up.

But we’ll need another manager – and maybe Roberto Di Matteo might be the right man for the job – if we are relegated.

If we stay up it will still be very difficult for Pardew to keep his job, after five French players and three of them French Internationals were brought in to strengthen the squad in January.

And where is Mike Ashley’s return for that – nowhere to be seen – and that will be the big problem for Pardew at the end of the season.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jimmysmith

May 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I’m definitely prepared for the worst. No illusions

But a backfour out of Colo, Debuchey, Santon, Taylor and Mbiwa makes me think we’ve got an even chance of beating the drop

• p

May 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

triffic

• Guj NUFC

May 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM

With the right approach, we can beat QPR, just can’t sit on a 1-0 lead. Let’s play like wigan will win 2/3 which they probably will.

• ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~

May 7, 2013 at 2:36 AM

The problem does not lie with the players. It lies with the manager. You can bring Ronaldo, Messi, Robin Van persie etc, and we are still going to be relegation candidates with this muppet as manager.

Sack the fool. The sooner the better.

• Blofal

May 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Does everyone still remember a couple of weeks ago when Pardew came out and said he thinks we can be a top 10 team next year?

I think that was the nail in his coffin. That was also when Ed finally saw the light I think. Still ever so diplomatic Ed but I really can’t wait to just see you write a piece that unloads on Pardew and his tactics.

• JP...from The Rock

May 7, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Of all the fringe players that should be offloaded it’s funny no one mentions Strolla Ameobi who is useless! Relying on him to be the ‘hero’ and score goals season after season and especially this one has been part of the reason why we never achieve anything. We sell Best, Lovenkrands and then Ba and are left with an out of form Cisse and ‘I can never score only perhaps on derbys’ Ameobi!! F**king ridiculous and I can’t stand it any longer!

All this talk of we need to get goals only pis*es me off even more!

• terencelim

May 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Looking at a bigger picture, the decision lies with the decision maker who hires manager.

• JP...from The Rock

May 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM

We’re knee deep in the relegation shite now and terrible decisions like handing Ameobi an extension on his contract (miracles do happen), constantly playing Gutierrez when let’s be honest all he does is run around and win us freekicks. Allowing Tiote to walk into the team when Anita has been playing out of his skin, relying on untried youngsters like Sammy, Bigi, Vuckic, Fergie etc instead of buying the Frenchies in the Summer to give the time to gel into the team properly. We keep doing things backwards at this once great club.

We are spiralling down without any results going our way and with negative tactics like holding out for draws against weak teams and the disturbing fact we are incapable of scoring from a corner for over 2 years now is hugely depressing.

I fell in love with NUFC for it’s attacking might and fluidity and fearless nature of their play. The first KK era. But this season has to be worse if not along with last time we went down as my most depressing moment as a NUFC fan. And to be honest I don’t think I can take another relegation. I suffer too much as I take this club to heart way too much.

I am just blabbering on now and I am sorry for this depressing and long post but I am scared sh*tless for the Toon and I pray we survive this nightmare and HUGE CHANGES ARE MADE!

• p

May 7, 2013 at 4:32 AM

jp. it’s only relegation

• Marty-Toon

May 7, 2013 at 5:22 AM

We’ve been useless all year not just the last 7 games

• spitfire_

May 7, 2013 at 5:36 AM

If we relegated it will be much much much worst than 2009… Now we have more quality players and more internationals… and next summer is the World Cup… Besides we don’t have at first place any leaders in the team like Nolan, Barton and Smith which help a lot in Champ… Pardew will not bring us back with 4 years but 23 years.

I guess if we go down the first thing to do will be to offer new contract to Simpson, Ameobi, Williamson… they will be our future and even god can’t help us.

Pardew should pack his little circus in january after the Reading fiasco.

• Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter)

May 7, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Is Michu out for swansea today?

• Santon03

May 7, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I think pardew has lost the dressing room long ago when Colo didn’t want to be part of his team and went to Argentina. Resting for back injury or family problem was just an excuse when you think about it, he was just signed new contract, it was just a charade. Now we are in trouble, he wants to help us out not help this pathetic manager, that’s why he refused to be interviewed since there is nothing good to say. pardew should learn when nothing good that words can describe, better just not say anything, it’s just going to make it worse. When pardew gone, Colo will speak up and he will stay until end of his career, probably become manager of this club. Everyone just trying to cover things up, it has to be very very bad in the dressing room, the performance speaks for itself. Even if the quality of the players below average, it shouldn’t be this bad. Just look at Wigan, Reading, Norwich, Sunderland, they show determination, going all out to win even if they are not a strong team. We are a strong team, but look at the way we play, it’s like there is no life anymore, added with new five non English speaking players. I feel sorry for the players for having this kind of manager in charge, I really do.
    I also kind of feel sorry for Ashley, he has no footballing knowledge, he is a businessman. He is trying to make more money for his sport business and looking at NUFC as very good potential to be a big market with reasonable investment and to be a good market like top 5 clubs he has to make NUFC successful club, but unfortunately he doesn’t have any good right hand man who knows football, we only progressing financially. I’m sure that he didn’t make his own decission to hire pardew, he should have a football/sport director like Bayern (Sammer) or Milan (Baresi). I think the problem lies with Llambias and pardew, I don’t know what kind of report they are sending to Ashley. I think the problem lies with those two, I can’t blame Ashley since he is not 100% in charge of running this club, you can’t blame the owner when you have director in charge, it’s the same like any other company.

• p

May 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM

What ya smoking santon?

Collo will be gone at the end of the season whatever happens

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Indian
    Michu and Lamah are injured with no return date.\

Doesn’t matter who Swansea put on the field tonight they’ll get beat cos they have been on their holiday’s since beating Bradford in the League Cup – Oh sorry on Holiday since they beat the TOON 1-0

• p

May 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Agree, wigan should get 3 points unless it is a dire draw

They should get nowt from arsenal and villa but stranget shit happens

We need 3 point at qpr and we should be good, if we do, ireckon it will be norwich or the mackems that go down but it’s a big if

If i was a gambling man, i would say we go down on gd but realy, it’s a crapshoot right now

• Santon03

May 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM

p

I’m smoking red Malboro 😛

I think he will stay, he just signed new contract and San Lorenza can’t afford to sign him, and Ashley wouldn’t let him go especially for free. The words that pardew said during interview few moths ago still stuck on my mind when he said “I told Fabricio that we are both winners”, from that I also realized that pardew is one arrogant bastard.
    I have said many times here that he is too arrogant, it will always end up badly to have arrogant manager in charge.

• Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter)

May 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Charlie

Yeah! Michu out for the season.

I still think wigan will not win today! they have won only 4 at home all season.

Hope is all i have and i shall kling on to that.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 7, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Santon,
    It is one hell of a cover up seen as his wife packed her bags and went back to Argentina long before he left, and he has come back, but she hasn’t.

If you look, all our foreign players go home when they have an injury that takes a few weeks to heal. It is part of their deals/contracts I read somewhere. I don’t think there was anything more to his injury then an injury. If you saw him the games after he was told he couldn’t go he was still giving 100% for the club. He may have fallen out with Pardew, but I doubt that would affect his commitment.

Collo will be gone, it won’t be for free, but it will be less than his value.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Just looking at the table, I’d sort of lost track of the top clubs, Arsenal, if they beat Wigan could be safely Champions league by the time they play us. Spurs will need to beat both Stoke and Sunderland to stand a chance which again works for us. This game against QPR is vital. A win there and we are safe in my opinion. If we can do it in style, even better. Norwich play at the Ethiad last game, and City will most likely want to end their season in style at home. Wigan Villa, again, if we beat QPR looks good for us.

I know, I may be hoping for too much saying win in style, but they are a mess now, down, half their players are already working on moves away. Surely, we can muster up enough to win…. If not, we fully deserve the drop.

• Santon03

May 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Lilong

His wife packed her bags for so many reasons which we don’t exactly know why, maybe family problems or not, I don’t think they would make it public knowledge or talk about it in interviews, unless he told you personally what happened.
    He is the captain, he is a professional, he stayed when we got relegated, he knows what it’s like being relegated, he loves this club and he will give it 100% to help the club.
    I believe he will stay when pardew gone, he will go if pardew stay. Right now, he fights not for pardew but for the club survival.

• catchy in norway

May 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM

if he new shola tweaked his knee, why leave cisse on the wing

it just dosnt make sense

i hope all you lot can see through the shite he is talking

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Santon,
    I won’t argue the point whether he likes Pardew or not, I think most would agree they don’t see eye to eye.

But you said the whole thing was a charade, if he is willing to put on a charade to get back to Argentina for 10 weeks during the season when he would know we need him, then it contradicts his love for the club/fans and his professionalism.

Personally, I don’t think there is any charade. I think there are family problems of some ilk, which, at the end of the day are not the public’s business, and the injury was genuine. Now he is fit he will give his all to help the club.

• Jail for Ashley

May 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM

When somebody posts on here they feel sorry for Billionaire Mike Ashley then it’s time for me to start taking large pinches of industrial salt.

• headtheball

May 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM

My one year plan
    1 Graham Carr HAS to unearth at least one but preferably two Peter Beardsleys.
    2 We need an owner who is willing to purchase same.
    3 I was told in physics that there was no such thing as a perfect vacuum. Wrong! Percy Hubris has one between his ears. We need a manager who motivates. With a couple of Beardsleys we would not languish in the bottom four.
    I’ve supported this team since wor Jackie and Bobby Mitchell thru Ivor Allchurch Eastham Wyn Davies Supermac Tony Green Jinkin Jimmy Gazza Waddle and Big Al but my all time hero and complete footballer will always be Beardo. He got bums off seats and sent spectators home smiling even if we lost. He was fast fit tricky and played for the team. Happy Days. C’mon Mr Carr please unearth a GEM or two.
    HWTL
    And if you are reading this Pushy /Carl/IanToon the time here is 1634hrs not the middle of the night.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Catchy,
    Was Shola our last sub on? No, if he tweaked his knee with his first shot, why not bring him off 11 minutes later when Gosling came on? Or why not use our third sub, which remained unused, and bring Campbell or Anita on. Why keep an injured player on the pitch, and a) as Alan says, “carry” a man, or b) risk further aggravating it?

Utter nonsense

• Jail for Ashley

May 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Santon03,
    Will people like you start to realise that the likes of Collo ,Enrique and Smith etc hung around not for the love of the club but because nobody else could match their wages which will be shown when we see the exodus this summer if we go down.

• Rotonda heights

May 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Ed

To answer that headline in a nutshell – they/ve been ”Pardewed”! I think we all agreed that Sissoko and Goofy etc looked great when they first came. Now they just look jaded and confused.

I know I’ve said all season Pardew could take us down and have got pelters for it. I didn’t really think it would or could ever get this bad. However, that Sunderland result has got me scared, very scared.

• Rotonda heights

May 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Jail

I think there will be an exodus either way

• Santon03

May 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Lilong

I believe it is a charade, because he never really gave us an answer about San Lorenzo thing, we only got answer from pardew about his injury and I don’t believe any cr@p from pardew’s mouth.
    Who would have thought that we will be in this situation when just bought 5 new players? I myself started to doubt pardew incompetence and started to believe that we will be in top 10 after beating Chelsea about 10 weeks ago probably the same time Colo last game if I’m not mistaken. Now we are in deep sh!t, Colo come back. I believe he put away his personal problems with pardew to help. I like Colo a lot, he is not sort of person who only talk about how he loves this club or fans, he shows it. This what I believe, my personal opinion 🙂

• sparky55

May 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM

A peter Beardsley comes along once in a life time and you expect Carr to find two in a year!…I’ll have an 1/8th of whatever you’re smokin’ please cos it sounds like mighty powerful stuff!

• Santon03

May 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM

JFA

I thought Colo accepted reduced wage in the new contract.
    Even Owen got new contract with MU, how difficult will it be for his agent to get him new club?

• Jail for Ashley

May 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM

It makes me sick the fact that Mashley was able to spend that kind of money when he saw his investment going down the pan but was not prepared to invest to see us push on this should tell us everything about the mans intentions for our club.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Santon,
    He can’t be a great professional, and have created his injury/family problems situation to miss 11 vital weeks of football. It is one or the other. I have seen enough of Colo to think it is genuine.

Jail,
    If we found someone to pay Duff’s wages after his shocking spell with us, I’m sure we could have found someone to pay Colo and Enrique. Not Smith though, that one was ludicrous!

• sparky55

May 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

All the french players started off great then Pardew ground them down with negative tactics and crap coaching…as soon as they go somewhere else we’ll see what good players they really are…Pardew is simply the worst Manager we’ve ever had at Newcastle…worse than JK because even though he was another useless cockney tw*t at least he was able to motivate the team unlike par dew.

• Rotonda heights

May 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

JP @ 8

I think you’ve brilliantly described how many of us are feeling right now.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Jail,
    He made errors last summer, we went over my thoughts on the reasons for that yesterday. This summer will see what he has learned, if we stay up, and show his intentions. The better the club do, the more people his advertising reaches. We are a marketing vehicle, but will only be fulfill our potential as one if we are playing regularly in Europe and challenging for trophies.

• woodsee

May 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

We will be fine against QPR and heres why,ol floppy chops is so bent,he will already have talked to Fernandes saying they have a much better chance of goin straight back up if the toon remain in the premiership,as we will be there main threat if we go down,

• headtheball

May 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Sparky
    I gave up smoking a few years ago as it was bad for my health. The Doc didn’t know I supported the Toon which I believe is much worse.
    HWTL

• catchy in norway

May 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM

LG

the guy is hoping that he can use jedi mind tricks to have ppl believe what he says
    its worked for 2 seasons now , so sad