The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Where’s The Return From Bringing In Five Frenchmen In January?

1:19 am, Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 84 Comments

One win and five points in the last seven games is the reason why Newcastle are in the position we are, when we had looked to be fairly safe in the league before that streak started – we were in 13th place after 29 games with 33 points.and 5 points above 3rd bottom – six with goal difference – which was then -10. It’s now -23.

mike ashley   -880074675

Mike Ashley – no wonder he looks worried

The good news is that we now have Fabricio Coloccini back in the side, and the Argentine looked solid at the back in the game at West Ham on Saturday.

That followed Newcastle’s worst home defeat since 1925, when the players and manager shamed Newcastle United by losing 6-0, and some of our players gave up – and that is completely inexcusable.

And the manager is now saying we are playing with injured players – and why do we think these are messages meant for Mike Ashley’s and Derek LLambias – in an attempt to save his job?

This is what Alan Pardew said today:

“We have some problems,” “Ben Arfa has been struggling with this hamstring injury. He has a slight weakness in there and it won’t even be strong I don’t think for six or seven weeks.”

“He was terrific at West Ham and he’s a match winner.” “We’ve been bringing him on after halftime but we missed him when we took him off at West Ham. We missed that little thrust he gives us.

“We knew the Wigan score so we were pushing where we could.”“ For Hatem another week’s work will get him closer and hopefully Shola is OK. But goalscoring is what wins games, and we’ve got to improve that area for next week.”

Whatever has happened when the final whistle blows in the Arsenal game a week on Sunday, in our very last league game – there will be a massive clean-out of fringe players.

The only difference between us being relegated and staying up will be who we will not sell this summer.

If we stay up we’ll try to keep all our best players, but if go down we’ll probably unload players like Yohan Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Moussa Sissoko, Papiss Cisse and Mathieu Debuchy – and maybe even Tim Krul – and ensure we have a side tough enough and good enough to come straight back up.

But we’ll need another manager – and maybe Roberto Di Matteo might be the right man for the job – if we are relegated.

If we stay up it will still be very difficult for Pardew to keep his job, after five French players and three of them French Internationals were brought in to strengthen the squad in January.

And where is Mike Ashley’s return for that – nowhere to be seen – and that will be the big problem for Pardew at the end of the season.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Premier League

84 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // May 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I’m definitely prepared for the worst. No illusions

But a backfour out of Colo, Debuchey, Santon, Taylor and Mbiwa makes me think we’ve got an even chance of beating the drop

• 2 p // May 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

triffic

• 3 Guj NUFC // May 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM

With the right approach, we can beat QPR, just can’t sit on a 1-0 lead. Let’s play like wigan will win 2/3 which they probably will.

• 4 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // May 7, 2013 at 2:36 AM

The problem does not lie with the players. It lies with the manager. You can bring Ronaldo, Messi, Robin Van persie etc, and we are still going to be relegation candidates with this muppet as manager.

Sack the fool. The sooner the better.

• 5 Blofal // May 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Does everyone still remember a couple of weeks ago when Pardew came out and said he thinks we can be a top 10 team next year?

I think that was the nail in his coffin. That was also when Ed finally saw the light I think. Still ever so diplomatic Ed but I really can’t wait to just see you write a piece that unloads on Pardew and his tactics.

• 6 JP...from The Rock // May 7, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Of all the fringe players that should be offloaded it’s funny no one mentions Strolla Ameobi who is useless! Relying on him to be the ‘hero’ and score goals season after season and especially this one has been part of the reason why we never achieve anything. We sell Best, Lovenkrands and then Ba and are left with an out of form Cisse and ‘I can never score only perhaps on derbys’ Ameobi!! F**king ridiculous and I can’t stand it any longer!

All this talk of we need to get goals only pis*es me off even more!

• 7 terencelim // May 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Looking at a bigger picture, the decision lies with the decision maker who hires manager.

• 8 JP...from The Rock // May 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM

We’re knee deep in the relegation shite now and terrible decisions like handing Ameobi an extension on his contract (miracles do happen), constantly playing Gutierrez when let’s be honest all he does is run around and win us freekicks. Allowing Tiote to walk into the team when Anita has been playing out of his skin, relying on untried youngsters like Sammy, Bigi, Vuckic, Fergie etc instead of buying the Frenchies in the Summer to give the time to gel into the team properly. We keep doing things backwards at this once great club.

We are spiralling down without any results going our way and with negative tactics like holding out for draws against weak teams and the disturbing fact we are incapable of scoring from a corner for over 2 years now is hugely depressing.

I fell in love with NUFC for it’s attacking might and fluidity and fearless nature of their play. The first KK era. But this season has to be worse if not along with last time we went down as my most depressing moment as a NUFC fan. And to be honest I don’t think I can take another relegation. I suffer too much as I take this club to heart way too much.

I am just blabbering on now and I am sorry for this depressing and long post but I am scared sh*tless for the Toon and I pray we survive this nightmare and HUGE CHANGES ARE MADE!

• 9 p // May 7, 2013 at 4:32 AM

jp. it’s only relegation

• 10 Marty-Toon // May 7, 2013 at 5:22 AM

We’ve been useless all year not just the last 7 games

• 11 spitfire_ // May 7, 2013 at 5:36 AM

If we relegated it will be much much much worst than 2009… Now we have more quality players and more internationals… and next summer is the World Cup… Besides we don’t have at first place any leaders in the team like Nolan, Barton and Smith which help a lot in Champ… Pardew will not bring us back with 4 years but 23 years.

I guess if we go down the first thing to do will be to offer new contract to Simpson, Ameobi, Williamson… they will be our future and even god can’t help us.

Pardew should pack his little circus in january after the Reading fiasco.

• 12 Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter) // May 7, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Is Michu out for swansea today?

• 13 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I think pardew has lost the dressing room long ago when Colo didn’t want to be part of his team and went to Argentina. Resting for back injury or family problem was just an excuse when you think about it, he was just signed new contract, it was just a charade. Now we are in trouble, he wants to help us out not help this pathetic manager, that’s why he refused to be interviewed since there is nothing good to say. pardew should learn when nothing good that words can describe, better just not say anything, it’s just going to make it worse. When pardew gone, Colo will speak up and he will stay until end of his career, probably become manager of this club. Everyone just trying to cover things up, it has to be very very bad in the dressing room, the performance speaks for itself. Even if the quality of the players below average, it shouldn’t be this bad. Just look at Wigan, Reading, Norwich, Sunderland, they show determination, going all out to win even if they are not a strong team. We are a strong team, but look at the way we play, it’s like there is no life anymore, added with new five non English speaking players. I feel sorry for the players for having this kind of manager in charge, I really do.
    I also kind of feel sorry for Ashley, he has no footballing knowledge, he is a businessman. He is trying to make more money for his sport business and looking at NUFC as very good potential to be a big market with reasonable investment and to be a good market like top 5 clubs he has to make NUFC successful club, but unfortunately he doesn’t have any good right hand man who knows football, we only progressing financially. I’m sure that he didn’t make his own decission to hire pardew, he should have a football/sport director like Bayern (Sammer) or Milan (Baresi). I think the problem lies with Llambias and pardew, I don’t know what kind of report they are sending to Ashley. I think the problem lies with those two, I can’t blame Ashley since he is not 100% in charge of running this club, you can’t blame the owner when you have director in charge, it’s the same like any other company.

• 14 p // May 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM

What ya smoking santon?

Collo will be gone at the end of the season whatever happens

• 15 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Indian
    Michu and Lamah are injured with no return date.\

Doesn’t matter who Swansea put on the field tonight they’ll get beat cos they have been on their holiday’s since beating Bradford in the League Cup – Oh sorry on Holiday since they beat the TOON 1-0

• 16 p // May 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Agree, wigan should get 3 points unless it is a dire draw

They should get nowt from arsenal and villa but stranget shit happens

We need 3 point at qpr and we should be good, if we do, ireckon it will be norwich or the mackems that go down but it’s a big if

If i was a gambling man, i would say we go down on gd but realy, it’s a crapshoot right now

• 17 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM

p

I’m smoking red Malboro :P

I think he will stay, he just signed new contract and San Lorenza can’t afford to sign him, and Ashley wouldn’t let him go especially for free. The words that pardew said during interview few moths ago still stuck on my mind when he said “I told Fabricio that we are both winners”, from that I also realized that pardew is one arrogant bastard.
    I have said many times here that he is too arrogant, it will always end up badly to have arrogant manager in charge.

• 18 Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter) // May 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Charlie

Yeah! Michu out for the season.

I still think wigan will not win today! they have won only 4 at home all season.

Hope is all i have and i shall kling on to that.

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Santon,
    It is one hell of a cover up seen as his wife packed her bags and went back to Argentina long before he left, and he has come back, but she hasn’t.

If you look, all our foreign players go home when they have an injury that takes a few weeks to heal. It is part of their deals/contracts I read somewhere. I don’t think there was anything more to his injury then an injury. If you saw him the games after he was told he couldn’t go he was still giving 100% for the club. He may have fallen out with Pardew, but I doubt that would affect his commitment.

Collo will be gone, it won’t be for free, but it will be less than his value.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Just looking at the table, I’d sort of lost track of the top clubs, Arsenal, if they beat Wigan could be safely Champions league by the time they play us. Spurs will need to beat both Stoke and Sunderland to stand a chance which again works for us. This game against QPR is vital. A win there and we are safe in my opinion. If we can do it in style, even better. Norwich play at the Ethiad last game, and City will most likely want to end their season in style at home. Wigan Villa, again, if we beat QPR looks good for us.

I know, I may be hoping for too much saying win in style, but they are a mess now, down, half their players are already working on moves away. Surely, we can muster up enough to win…. If not, we fully deserve the drop.

• 21 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Lilong

His wife packed her bags for so many reasons which we don’t exactly know why, maybe family problems or not, I don’t think they would make it public knowledge or talk about it in interviews, unless he told you personally what happened.
    He is the captain, he is a professional, he stayed when we got relegated, he knows what it’s like being relegated, he loves this club and he will give it 100% to help the club.
    I believe he will stay when pardew gone, he will go if pardew stay. Right now, he fights not for pardew but for the club survival.

• 22 catchy in norway // May 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM

if he new shola tweaked his knee, why leave cisse on the wing

it just dosnt make sense

i hope all you lot can see through the shite he is talking

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Santon,
    I won’t argue the point whether he likes Pardew or not, I think most would agree they don’t see eye to eye.

But you said the whole thing was a charade, if he is willing to put on a charade to get back to Argentina for 10 weeks during the season when he would know we need him, then it contradicts his love for the club/fans and his professionalism.

Personally, I don’t think there is any charade. I think there are family problems of some ilk, which, at the end of the day are not the public’s business, and the injury was genuine. Now he is fit he will give his all to help the club.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // May 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM

When somebody posts on here they feel sorry for Billionaire Mike Ashley then it’s time for me to start taking large pinches of industrial salt.

• 25 headtheball // May 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM

My one year plan
    1 Graham Carr HAS to unearth at least one but preferably two Peter Beardsleys.
    2 We need an owner who is willing to purchase same.
    3 I was told in physics that there was no such thing as a perfect vacuum. Wrong! Percy Hubris has one between his ears. We need a manager who motivates. With a couple of Beardsleys we would not languish in the bottom four.
    I’ve supported this team since wor Jackie and Bobby Mitchell thru Ivor Allchurch Eastham Wyn Davies Supermac Tony Green Jinkin Jimmy Gazza Waddle and Big Al but my all time hero and complete footballer will always be Beardo. He got bums off seats and sent spectators home smiling even if we lost. He was fast fit tricky and played for the team. Happy Days. C’mon Mr Carr please unearth a GEM or two.
    HWTL
    And if you are reading this Pushy /Carl/IanToon the time here is 1634hrs not the middle of the night.

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Catchy,
    Was Shola our last sub on? No, if he tweaked his knee with his first shot, why not bring him off 11 minutes later when Gosling came on? Or why not use our third sub, which remained unused, and bring Campbell or Anita on. Why keep an injured player on the pitch, and a) as Alan says, “carry” a man, or b) risk further aggravating it?

Utter nonsense

• 27 Jail for Ashley // May 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Santon03,
    Will people like you start to realise that the likes of Collo ,Enrique and Smith etc hung around not for the love of the club but because nobody else could match their wages which will be shown when we see the exodus this summer if we go down.

• 28 Rotonda heights // May 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Ed

To answer that headline in a nutshell – they/ve been ”Pardewed”! I think we all agreed that Sissoko and Goofy etc looked great when they first came. Now they just look jaded and confused.

I know I’ve said all season Pardew could take us down and have got pelters for it. I didn’t really think it would or could ever get this bad. However, that Sunderland result has got me scared, very scared.

• 29 Rotonda heights // May 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Jail

I think there will be an exodus either way

• 30 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Lilong

I believe it is a charade, because he never really gave us an answer about San Lorenzo thing, we only got answer from pardew about his injury and I don’t believe any cr@p from pardew’s mouth.
    Who would have thought that we will be in this situation when just bought 5 new players? I myself started to doubt pardew incompetence and started to believe that we will be in top 10 after beating Chelsea about 10 weeks ago probably the same time Colo last game if I’m not mistaken. Now we are in deep sh!t, Colo come back. I believe he put away his personal problems with pardew to help. I like Colo a lot, he is not sort of person who only talk about how he loves this club or fans, he shows it. This what I believe, my personal opinion :)

• 31 sparky55 // May 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM

A peter Beardsley comes along once in a life time and you expect Carr to find two in a year!…I’ll have an 1/8th of whatever you’re smokin’ please cos it sounds like mighty powerful stuff!

• 32 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM

JFA

I thought Colo accepted reduced wage in the new contract.
    Even Owen got new contract with MU, how difficult will it be for his agent to get him new club?

• 33 Jail for Ashley // May 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM

It makes me sick the fact that Mashley was able to spend that kind of money when he saw his investment going down the pan but was not prepared to invest to see us push on this should tell us everything about the mans intentions for our club.

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Santon,
    He can’t be a great professional, and have created his injury/family problems situation to miss 11 vital weeks of football. It is one or the other. I have seen enough of Colo to think it is genuine.

Jail,
    If we found someone to pay Duff’s wages after his shocking spell with us, I’m sure we could have found someone to pay Colo and Enrique. Not Smith though, that one was ludicrous!

• 35 sparky55 // May 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

All the french players started off great then Pardew ground them down with negative tactics and crap coaching…as soon as they go somewhere else we’ll see what good players they really are…Pardew is simply the worst Manager we’ve ever had at Newcastle…worse than JK because even though he was another useless cockney tw*t at least he was able to motivate the team unlike par dew.

• 36 Rotonda heights // May 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

JP @ 8

I think you’ve brilliantly described how many of us are feeling right now.

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Jail,
    He made errors last summer, we went over my thoughts on the reasons for that yesterday. This summer will see what he has learned, if we stay up, and show his intentions. The better the club do, the more people his advertising reaches. We are a marketing vehicle, but will only be fulfill our potential as one if we are playing regularly in Europe and challenging for trophies.

• 38 woodsee // May 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

We will be fine against QPR and heres why,ol floppy chops is so bent,he will already have talked to Fernandes saying they have a much better chance of goin straight back up if the toon remain in the premiership,as we will be there main threat if we go down,

• 39 headtheball // May 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Sparky
    I gave up smoking a few years ago as it was bad for my health. The Doc didn’t know I supported the Toon which I believe is much worse.
    HWTL

• 40 catchy in norway // May 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM

LG

the guy is hoping that he can use jedi mind tricks to have ppl believe what he says
    its worked for 2 seasons now , so sad

• 41 woodsee // May 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM

If we go down,what a trek to Yeovil lol

• 42 peaco1980 // May 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM

When we’re playing the worst football in the league, and not actually creating any opportunities to score; how does Percy expect us to beat WHU. You need to create chances to score goals, and goals to win matches. It is sometimes debatable whether Pardew understands this or if he’s just hellbent on seeing us relegated. Please do the decent things and resign Alan; you’re not wanted.

• 43 sparky55 // May 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM

headtheball…lol…you’re right tho…Pedro was the best there ever was and I would have sacked Pardew after the sunderland game and put pedro in charge for the last 4 games…at least EVERYONE respects him and he knows how to play football…all those good footballers that Pardew has crushed with negativity would have been delighted to play for someone who wants to play football and score scores.

Now we have watch Pardew try to go allout for a 0-0 draw against QPR…can’t wait!

• 44 sparky55 // May 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM

goals!

• 45 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Ok boys and girl time to pose a question to you all. While we deserve to go down (and we do), is there any team from 13th downwards that doesn’t?

• 46 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM

@43 but the real problem is would they understand a word he says? Lol

• 47 Laurent Robert 32 // May 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM

“But goalscoring is what wins games, and we’ve got to improve that area for next week.”

Pardew the idiot said the same last week!!! Yet he still gets them to sit back and dig out a nil nil a draw!!! This man is so annoying and is lying through his teeth!

How can we score goals when he fills the side with players who don’t score goals and adds a negative philosophy to make the chances even worse.

Usually, a nil nil against West Ham away would be a fair/decent result away from home. But with the teams around us pushing AND GETTING three points it’s unacceptable.

Going for it and being positive for two games straight could gain us three points even if we won one and lost one, yet only two points if we draw both games. That point makes the world of difference the mess we’re in now.

We’re in the state we’re in now because his negativity has seen us drop points all over the place. I’d love to blast some views at him and some of his stats which he arrogantly says he loves. Jonas ZERO assists is a fine example from 32 games. Cisse right wing??? And he says we need goals??

Pardew, you berk, you’re not fit to manage a Premier League club, never mind our Premier League Club.

He’s a joke of a manager as he can’t even get basics right. He is what has been wrong with a lot of English coaching and why the national team struggles against other top sides. No emphasis on passing, moving and technical ability, just Sunday League direct mentality. Criminal.

• 48 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Come off it people!! Beardsley in charge?? What an incredible footballer he was, and he will always have my admiration for that, but as a coach or manager?? Useless. Not to mention he is possibly the biggest yes man to Ashley and llambias at the club. He is only still in a job for that exact reason. He has been in charge of the development squad for 3 years. How has he developed??

• 49 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM

PPB

With the squad we have, we shouldn’t be in that 13th downwards. how we play football, we should be relegated by now, pardew should be feeling lucky still have chance to stay up instead saying we have bad luck all season. That’s how F@cked up we are, thanks to F@cked up manager.
    Bad luck is not explanation or answer both we and Ashley want, it’s sh!tty answer from cr@p manager.

• 50 Laurent Robert 32 // May 7, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Can we not take him back to where he came from whilst he gives us a refund in wages as he is ‘not fit for purpose’.

• 51 davetoon // May 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Our redemption could come from Norwich losing to West Brom…

• 52 Rotonda heights // May 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

laurent Robert

are you my twin bother lol !!!

• 53 Hatem's better than Messi // May 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

If Beardsley had shown he wanted to be a manager by actually going off to another club and learnt the trade then … but he’s been teaching kids and non of them have improved that much …

Bad move, we need a real manager with a good CV.
    That’s if we stay up.
    Being bottom of a pile on 38 pts isn’t good. Shipping 6 v Liverpool may send us down.
    QPR will be no pushovers.
    Pray Wigan, scum and Norwich can’t find another point.

• 54 Blofal // May 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Woodsee, good point. Whether true or not I’m going to believe that and pin all my hopes on it because god knows Pardew will f@ck it up some how this weekend.

• 55 Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter) // May 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Who sys Jonas does not have an assist.

He gets the assist for sessegnon goal, when he went on a jaunt from left back to RB

• 56 Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter) // May 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I said this yesterday too.

But i find it strange thatduring the season somehow players hve gotten injured to accomodate Jonas.

• 57 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM

New manager is prority, good one. Even if we spend 30 or 40 mil on new players, but still have the same manager or same level as pardew, it will be useless.
    I would rather not buy any new players and spend all transfer budget sacking pardew and get great manager.
    Lippi is in China, I would love to have him as manager.

This is his coaching philosophy:
    In his book Il Gioco delle Idee: Pensieri e Passioni da Bordo Campo (A Game of Ideas: Thoughts and Passions from the Sidelines), Lippi outlined his coaching philosophy. Lippi emphasizes the importance of team spirit and team unity. Lippi likens a psychologically well integrated football team to the functioning of a psychologically healthy family. On the strategic aspect of coaching, Lippi emphasizes the importance of the mutual relations between players. Players must all follow the same plan and play for each other, “not” for themselves. Lippi argues that “a group of the best players do not necessarily make for the best team.” What is more important, he argues, is that the tactical plan or formation is one that allows each player to maximize (1) his utility for his teammates and (2) the expression of his full potential. Lippi also notes that the choice of tactical formation is constrained by the qualities of the players available. Thus, selecting the best possible team not only requires finding the right combination of players for the chosen formation, but also finding the right formation for the chosen players.

• 58 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

@santon but we are. And many of those other clubs could be relegated already if not for the odd “lucky” result.
    my New question is: why are we lucky to have a chance to stay up but the other 5 or 6 aren’t? Or are they also lucky they got the odd draw here and there?

• 59 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM

@santon and I don’t disagree btw I’m just posing some different ideas

• 60 Rotonda heights // May 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM

so much said on injuries but poor old Anita can’t get a game ahead of Perch. It’s Tevez and Mascherano dropped for Mullins and Harewood all over again.

Pardew should carry a ” this man can damage your club” health warning

• 61 sparky55 // May 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM

never suggested Pedro would be long term manager…just interim til the end of the season…any change would have been good because anyone could’ve lifted the spirits of the players after removing pardew…the players all hate him for what he’s done to them

• 62 Hatem's better than Messi // May 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Chelsea beating Villa on Saturday may be crucial as it keeps Villa in the danger zone so they have to fight v Wigan.

I’m not sure we’ll get another point, so Wigan not getting a win is vital.
    Tonight’s game comes three days after their last match and four days before the cup final … plenty of room for Pardewesque excuses? Then three days later away to Arsenal. Then five days to Villa. A few red cards, extra time in the Cup final … I’m feeling desperate … useless Stoke last night …

• 63 Hatem's better than Messi // May 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

sparky55

Promoting Beardsley over Carver and Stone … great move, lets have all our coaches falling out …

• 64 Laurent Robert 32 // May 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Hehe. Rotonda, the thing is there are that
    many people who are wise to the mans delusionary bull he spouts, there are thousands upon thousands of twins who can see the same thing.

Even the disgustingly pro nufcfans on Twitter said yesterday something like our team is filled with good players, yet why are we doing so badly?(!!!!!!!!) it’s staring the pro Pardew crew in the face! It is simple to grasp if you just look at how attacks are formed (or in this case not formed) and players’ lack of movement off the ball.

There is very little tactical cohesion going forward, and I do very much believe that is only at that level because they are professional footballers. Pardew should be delevoping it further.

I’ve a degree on Sport Science and Sports Coaching and have written and planned lessons/sessions on how to develop skills. That’s what it is, developing skills from individuals to form the most productive, collective group, who have faith in each other and instilling belief that they can achieve success. Positive attitudes bring positive results.

Telling the media over and over that players are tired and we’ve been unlucky will psychologically do damaging things to the players’ attitudes yet he keeps pn saying these excuses over and over.

He has proved at all his clubs that he can’t produce positive results after initial transition. It isn’t working, he takes teams to relegation zones like he has with ours, leaving low morale amongst the players, yet his arrogance holds no bounds.

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM

PPB,
    You say there are 7 teams who have had worse/equally bad seasons as us. Given we are 4th bottom, could be 3rd by this time tomorrow. How does that work?

That is without factoring in the fact our playing squad, on paper, is of much better quality then most of these squads, and that we came 5th in the premier league last year, expecting say top 10 min this year, whereas most of the teams around us would have expected to be fighting around the trapdoor.

• 66 Spoof // May 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I have always defended Pardew and thought that with a decent squad he would prove to be a good manager, since January he has had a decent squad but we have not improved so I have to now question him as a manager, I accept that so many chances and coming into a side with no confidence is not easy, but we had a great start with the new lads but we have since gone backwards, so perhaps I am wrong and a new manager is indeed the answer, but this is a debate which should be starting at 6 o’clock on Sunday the 19th, for now lets hope we can survive.

• 67 jimmysmith // May 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Aw c’mon!!!! give me a break, we most likely will stay up. Pardew will remain the manager and without Europe we’ll fisnish 10th, and that’s the way it’s gonna be – punching beneath our weight…… grrrrrr…….till Ashley realises his vision whatever the f@ck that is.

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Sparky,
    Remember what happened last time we asked a club legend and not an actual manager to oversee the run in to a season?

• 69 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

@65 try reading my exact comment again

• 70 LeToonARMY // May 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Lets not knock jonas his one of a few players that would stay if we went down all them french players will go every single one, i dont know A.P can take such a strong team and ruin it all we have to do is stay up this season get a new manager next season and some brand new star players and we could be in champions league the season after and not the Championship

• 71 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

@65 and I dont disagree we shouldn’t be where we are. I’m just making different views here instead of the same old same old

• 72 Santon03 // May 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Sorry PPB, I dont really understand or know how to answer your new question(s).

• 73 toonydoonunder // May 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM

RIP Steve Carney Geordie legend we could do with a few like him to bash us out of trouble and give it their all. HWTL

• 74 Transfer Sage // May 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I really don’t like Jonas and don’t get why people do like him.

He runs around hard on the pitch but he is a wide player who cannot cross, pass and doesn’t even get forward.

Also for a player who works so hard on the pitch he really doesn’t do much in training, if he did he would be able to cross a ball by the age of 29.

• 75 Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter) // May 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

LOL

Jons will stay and what good will that do? would his crossing become better.

Would he stop being a headless chicken.

any1 who saw his antics on staurday would tell you he is too poor for the championship.

• 76 ajcrawfs // May 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM

The problem is we are relying on shola!

I mean wtf! what kind of team leaves there only experienced strike option as Shola Ameobi?

He has actually contributed nothing this season.

I would rather play Campbell.

What does Pardew see in him?

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM

PPB,
    Yup, re read it,
    “I feel we are concentrating so much on our shite position and terrible season to realize there are 7 other teams that have had either worse, equally as bad or almost as bad a season as us over 35/36 games.”

Almost as bad is the crucial part that may save your point. But none are on such a bad run of form. And it still doesn’t detract from the fact on paper we have the better squad, and had higher expectations, meaning our season has been drastically worse. For example, Southamptons aim would have been to stay up. Almost achieved, so that isn’t a bad season for them. Norwich would have been expecting to be circling the plughole, so they are about where they would have thought. Same with Wigan. Sunderland and Villa may have hoped for a bit more, but even so, I think not as much as ourselves.

• 78 ajcrawfs // May 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM

You have to question Pardew’s judgement when he still picks Jonas and Shola based on this seasons contribution

• 79 Transfer Sage // May 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Results alone aren’t the reason i am unhappy with pardew.

We are only 2 wins from a top ten place so that’s not a huge issue really. The bigger issue is that we are in a relegation battle which we shouldn’t be.

But the main issue is the negative football. All other teams around us, wigan, villa, sunderland, norwich keep pushing for the win as they know how important it is at this time of year. Gets you out of trouble and heaps pressure on others near you. Pardew had us time wasting at the end of the west ham game to make sure we kept the point…it’s a total disgrace and the man must be gone end of season.

• 80 Lilongwe Geordie // May 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM

LeToonArmy,
    Not all the French players will go. We will still have Obertan! :-)

• 81 Laurent Robert 32 // May 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I can’t blame some of the players for wanting to leave, if we went went down. A lot of them are full international calibre players, who have been managed appallingly.

Their careers are short and quite rightly they want to be the very best they can. They can’t do that by getting told to defend 1 nil leads at home against even bottom of the league opposition with the quality they have around them.

I’d be furious if I was a player and we continously played this way, yet was made to believe from the outset that we’d play passing, attacking football. No wonder why Ba and Colo were complaing to Pardew, and I bet Cabaye has said similar things in recent weeks.

• 82 sparky55 // May 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM

@68…Yes…only too well…but IMO a different set of circumstances…Shearer will never make a good manager and neither will Beardsley…but once we had lost to the makkems and then capitulated against liverpool I thought we needed a change purely and simply to lift the spirits of the team and in essence at that point in time we had two weeks to train to beat QPR. West ham should have a live training session of all out football and then taken that into the QPR game and Pedro IMO would have been ideal in that situation to get the players playing football again and going out on the park with a winning mentality rather than an ‘avoid a defeat mentality’. It was a 3 game gig but in essence setting up only to beat QPR.

• 83 Greebol1892 // May 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

so….“Then, unfortunately, Shola hurt his knee with almost the first shot he had. So we were carrying him for the rest of the match. It was unfortunate we couldn’t totally push for the winning goal.”

… because no.23 got injured means we couldn’t create a goalscoring opportunity…

F@CK OFF MAN! Why still more excuses and relying on a non-footballer to rescue us!?!. Just shut up and keep us up.

• 84 toonluvva // May 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I am repeating a question I posed some time ago.

Can Pardews selection policy of playing the same people time and time again despite their poor form be due to someone (DL?) putting pressure on him to continue selecting “purples”?

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this.

PS this is not an excuse for Pardew. If he is under pressure, and not happy with interference he should tell who ever it is to go forth.

previous post: Newcastle Players Must Deliver In Last Two Games