The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

After A Disastrous 7 Game Run – Win It At QPR For The Fans

11:49 am, Friday, May 10th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

We had recovered quite well by Friday 15th March in the league, after bringing in the five new Frenchmen in January, and we were well placed in the league table in 13th place with 33 points from 29 games, and a goal difference of -10 – and we had the exact same points total as 10th placed Fulham, but had two goals worse goals difference than Fulham.

alan pardew liverpool 87

Alan Pardew – hee needs to get win at QPR

Things were looking good, and we were almost in the top 10 in the league, and had just won 1-0 against Anzhi, with s second half penalty from Shola Ameobi to get through to the last eight of the Europa League.

And on the previous Sunday we had won 1-0 with a stoppage time goal from Papiss Cisse to beat Stoke for our third successive home league win, after that disastrous 2-1 defeat by Reading in January – which had been the low point of the season – but that was becoming a distant memory.

And we were looking forward to our second away win of the season on the following Sunday at Wigan Athletic.

But then everything went wrong – we lost 2-1 at Wigan when Callum McCallum should have been sent off in the first half, for his tackle on Massadio Haidara – and Wigan’s winning goal in stoppage time should have been disallowed because of a clear handball.

We were hammered 4-0 in the next game at Manchester City – and in short in those last 7 games we have 5 points and a single win against Stoke, and thanks to successive home defeats of 3-0 against Sunderland and 6-0 against Liverpool, our goal difference is -23 and we are 4th bottom. :(

It’s been an absolute and calamitous last seven games for Newcastle United in the league.

However, things looked up big time for Newcastle on Tuesday night – not because anything we did – but Wigan lost their game in hand 3-2 against Swansea and we are now three points clear of the relegation zone, but with the exact same goal differences as Wigan.

A win at relegated QPR can see us almost safe on Sunday.

Newcastle have put their fans through hell and high water and worse – in the last seven games.

A message  to Alan Pardew and the players – win the game at QPR on Sunday and show the fans that you are much better players and a much better team than we’ve looked over these last seven league games.

Put us out of our misery – but in a nice way.

Win at QPR on Sunday.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // May 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Being given caustic soda to treat his chapped lips is too good for Ashley.

• 2 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Sorry for the repost:

cowell

I don’t think lots of people overrate the players.

PL standard players should be able to pass the ball,retain the ball and play some level of professional football.

International players should be above the level of ordinary players and should by rights have the ability to play better than weaker opponents.

The issue isn’t people overrating them, I think it is fair to say that the players playing for NUFC are not shit enough to see 17th place as their level.

The problem is why they are playing so poorly?

Everyone has their own opinions but I don’t think people are claiming these players should be fighting for the league. Most people think they should be doing a lot better than they are.

• 3 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I see what Ed is saying and I agree but it has been a calamitous season , not just a seven game period.

This is much more than a poor run of form.

• 4 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

beattie

exactly

nobody blames pardew for not getting top 4, even top 6 this year…

but people blame pardew for having us in a relegation scrap.

• 5 Generic Commenter // May 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Beattie25,

The players are definitely not overated, people have already begun to slate Sissoko and if I’m correct he was rated at something like £15m last season!! They have all let there heads drop due to a poor run of results which has only been inflicted by themselves. They have it in them to be pushing at the very least the top 10, but the manager needs to instill this belief in them

• 6 Generic Commenter // May 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Also, I should emphasise that I agree with you, that post looks like an argument ;)

• 7 Le Belfast 007 // May 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Think a point should do. I certainly don’t think it will be as easy as some people make out.

• 8 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Sage

Exactly.

If we were top 12 then people could say poor season but we’ve done well considering lack of investment, injuries and bad luck.

17th is down to the manager IMO.

I have never, ever said it’s all his fault but he is a major part of the problem.

I could take a poor season after our good one last year and say ‘give him 6 months’ but for me this hasn’t been poor, it has been the worst season I have ever witnessed in terms of football quality for our team and it has been an absolute disaster.

People say Pardew is a good manager (not many say great) but a good manager would have taken this talented team and even with injuries, lack of investment and bad luck had us no where near relegation IMO.

• 9 Le Belfast 007 // May 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It’s been the longest poor run of form in history. I can’t remember one good run of form all season from us.

• 10 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Generic

No I see what your saying. The argument only comes when we disagree with ‘can this manager give them confidence’ but we won’t get into that.

The players we have bought are much more than internationals, they are the future of French football (M’bwia and Sissoko) and people were amazed we had signed them, now our own fans think they are crap.

Ludicrous.

• 11 colwell // May 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

@ Beattie25

I know what your saying but surely for our players to be playing so poor some of it has to be down too their own abilities?

My best mate is a Liverpool fan and said when he watches us he can’t see why I think we have such a good team. As I mentioned Cabaye he said what does he do? the odd good pass, he has always disliked Cisse anyway so that would a lost cause, Tiote he laughed and said he just fouls everyone and gives the ball away (fair point).

All I’m saying is the players I thought were so good have shown that they have all seriously lost their ways. Pards MUST take most of the blame, he should be no where near our team next season, otherwise we’ll face the same, long horrid season.

• 12 blew // May 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

With our squad we should not be in a relegation spot, nor should we be depending on the results of others to survive. We need to restructure throughout, for example the inability to bring youngsters on springs to mind.
    I hope there is a clearout, starting with Pardew, broken brain is an insult to the fans and football management, thats why he was unemployed/unemployable when we signed him..

• 13 Generic Commenter // May 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Beattie25,

The players are definitely not bad. They were world beaters only 6 months ago when they were playing for their previous clubs and are now ‘overrated’!? No, there is something wrong at this club for that to happen in such a short space of time

• 14 colwell // May 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Beattie25

I think you missed my point I don’t think our players are shite, I think the opposite hence the question are we overrating our players?

Everytime the argument about our players comes up at work I say how good they are but when anyone watches us my argument is void.

• 15 Le Belfast 007 // May 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I would say we have some good players, but we’re not playing to their strengths. We’re actually doing the exact opposite. Constant hoof ball & playing players out of position all the time.

• 16 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

beattie

yeh I know, managers get problems and the good ones overcome them. Maybe not get the same results if they had no problems but still find a way to pic up a few extra points…another win and say 3/4 draws and we would be much better off.

instead of that we just rolled over in way too many matches.

• 17 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

colwell

I think if people watched our 6 game unbeaten run last season they would see exactly why we rate our players so highly.

Cabaye was one of (if not the) best players in the PL during that run of form. If we maximised their potential (which is the managers job) we would see more of that Cabaye, more of the Cisse from last season and more of the Sissoko from against Chelsea.

If these players had come out of our youth team then perhaps other fans could say we overrate them, but they all had good-excellent careers before they came here where they showed their abilities in the league, Europe and on the international stage.

It’s the old adage, for is temporary, class is permanent. If we can bring the best out of these players and create a cohesive football team I think the other teams would be desperate to have our team.

• 18 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

colwell

Sorry mate, I wasn’t saying you think our players are shite, just other fans and some of our own.

I think we expect a lot from them rather than overrate them but we seem to forget on a match day how hard it is to play a system you have never played in your career before and to play in positions you have never played before.

An outsider looking in would see Sissoko at RW and when he loses the ball would think ‘he’s shit’ and we even get pissed off and say ‘he’s playing crap’ but wehave to understand that Sissoko is not a RW and is being asked to perform in a new position and do things he is not capable of doing and has never been trained to do.

Prime example is Cisse. He’s been a predator all his career. Finding space, making a chance and scoring goals.

This season he has been asked to become a target man, win headers, hold up the ball and trap it etc… why? I don’t know. That’s Pardews system and in trying to make Cisse a different player (Pardew would say he’s trying to improve a 27 year old and make him better than before despite his success before) he has ruined him IMO.

People look at Cisse from last season and now and say ‘ha ha ha, he’s shit’ but they don’t understand that we are not playing to his strengths, Pardew is playing him to his own.

• 19 DokToon // May 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

gmorning all…

beattie at 8… your post made me think of a question for you, and any others:

if we should be top 12, but are 17th, how many points is a manager really worth? factor in tactics, injuries, and even referee… just a thought that there has to be a formulae for this…

• 20 bills-son // May 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

catchy – to answer your question, I played right back and right wing. My brother was a pro inside forward and once scored the winner aagainst the Toon at SJP back in the 80′s. My Dad ,God bless him, was as proud as punch, I was as sick as a chip.

• 21 Spotlight Kid // May 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Forget the last seven. There’s a certain blind spot amongst many fans regarding the poor end to last season as well. With 4 games to go & 4th spot looking very possible, we flunked – badly. We returned 3 points from 4 games (one win, 3 lost) including shipping 9 goals in those 3 defeats in the process!

The previous 4 games this season have seen similar stats. We have returned 2 points and shipped 10 goals in the process.

If it had been any team but QPR (including Reading) I would have happily signed the death certificate at this point, but (as I have previously stated) another manager in the Prem with a crafty eye on next season is ‘Arry – and he don’t want us in the Championship to spoil his automatic promotion attempt.

So a scrappy win on Sunday, with loads of excuses from ‘Arry. Puffed-up Pardew takes the plaudits, and downcast but sniggering ‘Arry gets a free crate of bubbly from Ashley. Everyone’s happy, especially ‘Arry, and Pardew reckons it’s all his doing.

• 22 colwell // May 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Beattie

And Tiote on his day the BEST DM in the prem, for all of our players too have gone so wayward the management have too take the blame surely?

Colo and Ba arguing with Pards over his non existent tactics shows the players don’t understand his way of thinking. MA surely must see with the players we have without huge investment but with the right manager can push on for Europe again?

Too many things have gone wrong this year injuries everywhere, most players played out of position, playing defensively every game. Keeping Pards in charge is suicide, people saying Moyes had a bad 2nd season with Everton was mainly due to his inexperience. Pards has this and has proven over and over he is limited with his managerial know how.

Stay up, get rid and move on.

• 23 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

dok

I think a good manager is almost priceless.

Look at man utd and city’s squad…very similar in quality.

Man utd are 15 points clear…thats what a top manager who has instilled belief in his players for years can do with a squad.

• 24 nufc 11 // May 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I agree its the manager 1st and foremost he has to achieve results through his team, make them perform cant do it shudnt be there, wouldne be surprise if he got the door, martinez, lennon or poyet for me new impetus needed.

• 25 fergies left foot // May 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

beattie, agree 100%

what I find astonishing is that Pardew doesnt seem to have looked at what we did during that period when we can’t seem to get a win now! that to me suggest he’s just stubborn or whatever.. it’s not really rocket-science is it?

• 26 sparky55 // May 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM

good young players don’t become bad players overnight…except of course when managed by Pardew who has coached them to a standstill.

Ben Afra, Sissoko (defensive midfielder not a No 10!) and Cabaye and MBiwa are the future of France…and you don’t get into the french national team by being a sub standard footballer…this is all down to Pardew…he’s making them play in a way that’s totally foreign to footballers who have been brought up to play football like the french who pass and move, pass and move, pass and move as opposed to lob the ball 50 yards to a striker that has no idea how to play that way either…Pardew has to go when we survive or the whole team will pack their bags and go play for a team that plays football

• 27 colwell // May 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Beattie

100% agreed,(18)

Right players, wrong manager

Sissoko a DM at RW?? Cabaye a CAM as a DM??? Jonas as a winger lol.

Gouffran constantly taken off for Shola and Gosling getting game time before Anita WTF??

• 28 Jamiemac // May 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Simpson should start again ahead of Debuchy.

• 29 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

fergies left foot

Thats something i don’t get. If pardew had always played this brand of football we see now then i could just accept he is a limited manager.

The fact during random spells in his time in charge he has got us playing some great stuff but then seems to go back to the rubbish makes me wonder what is wrong with him.

Is he stupid or just stubborn and wants to prove his way works better.

• 30 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Did you know in our relegation season we only conceded more than 3 once and this season we have done it 5 times.

Also we have lost the same amount of games this season than then, our goal difference is -5 worse now than then, and we have only scored 3 more goals this season than then.

Our average league position for that season was 15th this season it’s 14th.

Interesting? Probably not.

• 31 Spotlight Kid // May 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Sparky@26
    good young players don’t become bad players overnight…

Sorry, the real point is (and has been for the past 2.5 years) that bad managers don’t become good managers overnight – something one or two of us on here have banging on about ever since Chairman Mash trusted the bridge to the silver haired faker in December 2010!

• 32 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

beattie

I think every gets how bad the season has been. What continues to be the debate is how much blame can be put on the manager and therefore what direction should we head in next year.

I would like to know, out of the people who support pardew still, would they be unhappy if he was sacked an a much better manager was brought in? or would they accept the new man and say thank you, goodbye to pardew.

• 33 Guj NUFC // May 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Praying to god Wigan get relegated. I don’t usually wish relegation on another team. But f**k Wigan. Terrible club. I hope Man City destroy them 5-0 and they lose all their confidence and Mcmanaman gets sent off.

• 34 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

DOK

I think the difference between a poor manager and a good manager is as many points as they lose in a season.

I think Pardews tactics, decisions and mistakes have cost us about 15-18 points and that is the difference between 17th and 8th.

Now people may say that last season his decisions were the difference between, lets say, 14th and 5th but I would argue that given the season we had he could’ve been the difference between 5th and 3rd.

It’s all hypothetical of curse and nobody could ever know but for me Pardew is good when things go for him and terrible when things go against. I wan’t a manager who is consistent no matter what happens.

• 35 Benji84 // May 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

All i want to see is us just go hard and smash them on sunday. Also why the hell is almost all the games on sunday the same day as the fa cup? I always get confused with the fixtures

• 36 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Sage

You raise a very good point.

If Pardew was to be sacked his supporters would be a little perturbed but not overly devastated yet if he remains most of his critics will be furious and incredibly upset. You will have differing levels of course but that’s for the most part.

The fence sitters probably aren’t bothered either way.

But someone like Mojo would be upset but not angry if he is sacked where as I would be bodering on the incredible hulk if he stays.

• 37 Le Belfast 007 // May 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM

A big fat massive Nooooooooooooooo to Neil Lennon.

Let Everton take him, they deserve each other.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // May 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM

There’s another record to go for under Ashleys reign,if Arsenal manage to knock five past us we will have been hit for 1,2,three,4,5,6 and 7 goals this season,I don’t think many teams have managed that,nice one Mikey.

• 39 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM

beattie

I think 5th was a good place for us last year, 3rd would have been a massive massive over achievement with the squad. You could argue that once we got into the last 4 games he should have kicked on and got 3rd, but from the start of the season 5th was amazing (regardless of quality or long term plan).

I think the problem is that everything went his way last year, things fitted into place nicely and when we did bad in a game either krul, ba, cisse or hba did something special to get us the points….thats fine, good players do that for you.

The problem this year is things have gone against him, ba left, injuries, extra games so less time to prepare etc….he has not overcome a single one of those problems i don’t think and its that lack of ability to adapt which is the reason i think he shouldn’t be in charge next year as we could sign players but if we lose 4 big players to injury then he won’t adapt.

• 40 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Sage…I don’t think anyone would be angry or upset if Pardew was replaced with a better manager. That wouldn’t indicate that we felt Pardew was terrible, but I think most are open to the fact there are better out there.

• 41 DokToon // May 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

do we all feel positive for sunday, and taking (key word, taking, being aggressive, hint hint mr pardew) all 3 points ?

• 42 DokToon // May 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

ibiza, how the hell are ya? :)

• 43 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Howdy Dok…Not sure why, but I am positive about Sunday.

If they can’t muster it up for this game then I give up with everything :)

• 44 Jail for Ashley // May 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Beattie,
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I honestly think Pards is here to stay for awhile,Ashley will be looking at the season Moyes managed to get Everton in fourth got them almost relegated on the last day of the season the season after and then led them to mid to top six mediocrity for the next eight years while being patted on the back for the great job he’s doing while not actually winning anything,this is Ashleys model.

• 45 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Dok…Doing swell mate. Sun is shining, clients in at houses, all I need now is for Newcastle to sort their sh*t out. How about you?

• 46 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

ibiza

yeh i know what you mean…and i didn’t mean it as a way to show he was poor etc

just wondered that some whoe defend pardew strongly would be annoyed if he was replaced.

For me it’s like saying would you be annoyed in shola was replaced by falcao or obertan replaced by valencia etc….if we get better i’d take them.

But for me better doesn’t have to be a better record, the manager could be unproven on a big stage but still have more potential.

• 47 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

JFA

I agree with you. I think Pards is here to stay too.

It’s the price we pay for having an owner who knows nothing about football or knowing too much about business.

• 48 Transfer Sage // May 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

beattie

i have it on good authority he is 100% gone in the summer

fingers crossed it’s right

• 49 Beattie25 // May 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Sage

If you’re right then my Summer is looking good.

• 50 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

TS…Absolutely. In football, most are happy with upgrades, whether that be playing or managerial staff. As I say, that wouldn’t be a reflection on Pardew, but simply happy with progress.

I think you will find a few fans will be less enthused with a young manager with no record, as at the end of the day it would be a risk. Perhaps one worth taking though. Truth is, if we do well fans will be happy. No one was pleased when Hoots got the boot, but we came around fairly quickly.

If Pardew does go and is replaced with a similar type though I will be furious (for example a Curbishly type). That would be just changing for the sake of it, in which case I’d rather give Pardew another go.

Change for progress!

• 51 Krul to be Kind // May 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

TS

I hang on most of the info you give us… and thank you for it also (even if it doesn’t bear fruit), but I soooo hope your source is right!

I wouldn’t be as bad as Hulk Beattie if he stays, as long as he is monitored closely by hierarchy and 1 bad run he’s gone!

Does this put me on the fence?

• 52 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Krul…Get off my fence, go on, be off with you!

What would you consider a bad run out of interest?

• 53 Krul to be Kind // May 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ibiza – 1 defeat is 1 defeat too much!!!;-)

• 54 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Krul…I thought as much :) Not much of a chance is it?

Anyway, all a little premature at this point. Let’s get these 2 games out of the way and see who is leading us out next time around – then we can decide the conditions of keeping the pitchforks away.

• 55 Krul to be Kind // May 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I have a theory

If we compete at the top end then the sports direct marketing machine gets significant exposure, if we underperform then again, it gets significant exposure, but, with mediocrity not much exposure as nothing to be in the limelight about!

So I believe Ashley is quids in with all scenarios disregarding mediocrity…

oh how I would take some mediocrity right now, but quietly confident about sunday!

• 56 cyprus // May 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Manu will be stronger next year with that player he will certainly sign. He’ll look just as funny in red, but, what a player!

• 57 Krul to be Kind // May 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Cyrus

He doesn’t fit the Utd model for me, too hot headed, I don’t think he will go there

• 58 Dondatta13 // May 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Most managers would be rubbing their hands in glee given the quality of players at this club. A squad chock full of internationals and a winning mindset.

However Pardew has his stars playing in positions that are alien to them. They are also drilled with doing defensive duties that takes away the players natural free flowing skill set.

In boxing terms, it’s akin to a bruising, rough and rugged brawler like Ricky Hatton and teaming him up with a trainer… Oh lets say Mayweather Snr and trying to turn him into a elegant, dancing, stick and move artist fighting behind a silky jab.

The result is, you’re left with a fighter laying on the canvas, twitching like he’s having a seizure, looking like he’s about to die in the ring. As was the case when Hatton faced Manny Pacquiao.

Much like our own mighty Newcastle United as I see it today.

Such a shame really when it could all be so different.

previous post: Transfer Plans Hit By Relegation Fears – Put On Hold