Losing Remy Was A Big Blow To Our Season – Pardew

After we were beaten by Reading 2-1 at St. James’ Park in January, the good news for Newcastle fans was that we were bringing in Loic Remy from Marseilles as a replacement for the departed Demba Ba – but he changed his mind at the last minute when QPR offered him massive wages – said to be around £80K/week – and they would also give him a release clause in case they were relegated.

loic remy qpr

Loic Remy – Newcastle missed out on striker

But of course – we missed out on the French striker and didn’t replace Demba Ba in Jnauary, and that’s one of the reasons we’ve scored just 3 goals in our last 7 league games – we are short of strikers – especially when Shola Ameobi when he plays, seems to injure himself – and has a terrible injury record on Tyneside.

Alan Pardew held his press conference this afternoon, and he admitted that he had indeed watched the Wigan game, but Alan didn’t want to wish anything bad on one of this fellow Premier League managers Roberto Martinez.

This is some of what Alan said today:

“It would have given us a bit more power scoring goals because if you score goals, it takes pressure off your back four a little bit.” “I think we would have scored more and conceded fewer if he had signed – but he didn’t.”

“The fact that we lost out on Loic Remy was a major blow to our season. We lost our main goalscorer in Demba Ba and he was our replacement.” “We felt he was going to sign for us and then at the last minute, he changed his mind.”

“And that was a particular blow to us because it’s very difficult to get a striker in that window.””I am as worried about Remy as I am about Zamora, who I know very well.”

“I don’t fear Remy on Sunday. We have to be good enough to cope with the qualities he has got, which are many.”

As we reported earlier today, Moussa Sissoko and Shola Ameobi will miss the rest of the season, but the good news was that Davide Santon and Sylvain Marveaux trained today – so maybe they could be available for the last couple of games.

The manager said that if we can get a couple of wins in the last two games we could finish fairly high up the league form where we are at the moment – in 4th bottom place.

But he wasn’t raising expectations too much that we can get a win against the London side – which is really what we need.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Carryingcoals

May 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

cough cough excuses cough

• wreker16

May 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Anyone else get the feeling Pardew was blaming the fact remy didn’t come is why we have slumped so much?

Just me, fine. Be like that. P.S Pardews a moron

• Joe Blog

May 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I actually think he’s genuinely taking the piss now.

• Carryingcoals

May 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Would we have even played him upfront if he did sign?! We signed a striker in Gouffran but when has he had a shot through the middle up top?! he hasnt.

He gives it the massive one about Remy, how good he is and how he would have saved our season basically, then at the end of the interview he’s like naaa I don’t fear Remy on sunday.

I mean what the hell.

As many know I’ve always tried to support Pards but this interview is laughable. I feel time is running out if it hasnt already

• Krul to be Kind

May 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Pardew’s tripe is irritating my haemorrhoids… It’s his fault!

• Carryingcoals

May 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Is it just me or are these quotes just borderline nonsense…?!

• toonLYF

May 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Carrying…

i think these somewhat contradicting and carefree press conferences from Pardew just emphasize his seemingly inevitable sacking

• Krul to be Kind

May 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Carrying

I believe Goofy was the alternative to Remy and you’re so right, he hasn’t even used him as a striker so why would Remy be any different!

He needs to give more thought to these interviews, they are increasingly sounding like he is winging it!

• Joe Blog

May 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I’m in stitches reading that through again – amazing.

• Krul to be Kind

May 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

seems he wants to leave all credibility (what little he has left) behind when he does get the boot!

• Hatem's better than Messi

May 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM

In the chronicle Pardew wants “Clear the air” talks with Ashley.

Hopefully Ashley wants “Clear your desk” talks with Pardew.

• blew

May 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Broken Brain talks verbal diarrhoea, one excuse after another. I see Shola is out for the rest of the season, I hope that includes next season and the season after and so on.
    Will we see Gouffy playing his natural striker position
    against QPR or is that asking too much from a pathetic manager ? Fingers crossed for Sunday.

• Dondatta13

May 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I really wanted Pardew to succeed here at NUFC but his logic isn’t very logical…

So all our problems would have evapourated had we signed Loic Remy?

Like some have stated, Pardew would have had him playing as a holding midfielder.

The term “All our eggs in one basket” springs to mind given this interview.

Alan; your excuses are running very thin now, even with those who backed you.

Everytime you open your mouth you just make it worse… Please shut the door on your way out. Thank you.

• Spotlight Kid

May 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Losing Remy? No, AP, tell the truth! It was the failure to land Messi, Ronaldo, Bale and Pepe as stopgaps in the January transfer window (just as Derek had promised) that must have caused havoc to your carefully laid plans.

But to your eternal credit you carried your disappointment and frustration with dignity, and never once complained or sought to foist the blame onto others.

What a man.

• sparky55

May 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM

even if we did sign remy, pardew would probably have played him as an out and out full back. Dick head!

• sparky55

May 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM

ED…I love the picture of Pardew at the centre of your web-site header…he looks very lost and confused which is of course very apt. Maybe we should have a caption contest and the winner gets their caption in a bubble above his head for all to see until he’s sacked!

I’ll start it off…”What fu****n’ day is it again?”

• sparky55

May 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM

ED…I love the picture of Pardew at the centre of your web-site header…he looks awfully lost and confused which is of course very apt considering! Maybe we should have a caption contest and the winner gets their offering emblazoned in a caption bubble above his head until such time he’s sacked!

I’ll start things off…”what day is it again?”

• peaco1980

May 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

@Sparky55 – It looks to me like Pardew’s having a daydream about all his players (in the background), and he’s thinking to himself “…hmmmm so whose career can I ruin next by playing them out of position…”

• rfcready

May 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Again I’m confused! We were no use up front cause Remy didn’t sign but we have a good enough defense so were not worried about him…DUH!!!