Chief sports writer of the Newcastle United Blog – Ed Harrison – looks at the summer, and what Newcastle need to do if we survive in the Premier League – Ed is the Chief Sports writer because he’s also the only writer on the blog. 😀
These are things Ashley and Llambias must do this summer
Newcastle could be safe even if we lose our last two games of the season, and we’re safe if Wigan cannot win one of their two away games at Arsenal and Aston Villa.
We don’t want to think about things too much – but here briefly, are a number of things the club must do if we are safe:
Those are some of the things Newcastle must do this summer if we are to be in a better position come next August, than we were last August.
- Issue apology to the Newcastle fans but taking them though hell and high water, and having such a disastrous Premier League season
- Complete a through review of the season to pinpoint exactly what went wrong, and then fix those things that need fixing – and they will include some of the items on this list
- Decide who will be the long term manager and coaches at Newcastle – if it’s not Alan Pardew we need to recruit a new manager quickly
- Decide on Fabricio Coloccini future – surely we need to make every effort to keep him – if he leaves we need to bring in a top center-back
- Unload fringe players at the club including Steve Harper, Danny Simpson, Romain Amalfitano, Dan Gosling, Gabby Obertan and Mike Williamson
- Create a sizable transfer fund to give the manager some decent money to recruit other top players this summer to really strengthen the squad
- Review transfer policy – do we have too many foreign players and do we need to recruit more British players?
- Recruit two top strikers (not one we need a couple), given the results of the transfer policy review above – Andy Carroll may become a higher priority now
- Recruit a number of top youngsters and unload those younger players – like Brad Inman among others – who will not make it at Newcastle
- Bring in a top coach who has a PhD in set-plays – we need to fix why we haven’t scored from a corner for eons and eons
- Place ridiculously high transfer fees on some of our top players like Yohan Cabaye and Ben Arfa, so we either keep our top players in the summer or get silly money for them
Have I missed anything?
You can also reach Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org