The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Could Still Go After Remy This Summer

9:50 am, Saturday, May 11th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

Alan Pardew was asked about Loic Remy yesterday, and he pointed out the failure to replace Demba Ba in January by the French International has been a major problem for Newcastle this year.

loic remy qpr

Loic Remy – Newcastle interested this summer?

And while most of us think there’s just no way Newcastle would go after Remy in the summer, when he will leave QPR via a release clause in his contract – Alan Pardew did say yesterday that it would be foolish to rule out another move for him this summer.

But Newcastle have also been left with a bad taste in their mouths about the Remy situation in January:

“We were disappointed how that ended if I’m honest,” “We made it clear to his agent and to the player that we were upset about the way it was done.

“They maintain it was done in an honest and honorable way, therefore I have to believe that.” “We’ve been under major pressure and we’re fortunate in some respects that Papiss Cissé has stayed fit,”

“We’ve been running with really and truly a couple of strikers in Gouff, who’s come in and Cissé.”

“I think it’s hard for a French player when he’s been playing wide for Bordeaux – as the wide striker – to come here and crack it as Newcastle No 10.” “I think it put extra pressure on him and the team.”

Just to add some reality here to Alan’s comment on Remy’s agents – what did Newcastle think they would say after he joined QPR – that they had screwed us – we don’t think so.

It’s extremely unlikely that Remy would come to Newcastle this summer, and he’s already making noises about wanting to join Arsenal.

Newcastle may make an initial approach,  but we think the player wouldn’t be interested – and unless he would walk on his hands and knees from London to Newcastle to sign for us – I don’t think Newcastle will remain too interested.

And he’s not going to do that, now he’s looked good in the Premier League and some top clubs will be interested in him this summer.

So we think it’s still a no-go on Remy this summer – always assuming we stay up.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWYCD // May 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Would still have him without hesitation but doubt its overly likely…and tbh I don’t really want more French lads in

• 2 spitfire_ // May 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Pardew yesterday said that Sissoko playin “a number 10 role”… today is Guffy… I think Pardew is not already in menopause… he change his mind too often… like some pregnant lass.

• 3 Guj NUFC // May 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Anyone know how much Maxime Gonalons is worth from OL.

• 4 magpie6699 // May 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

(Repost)
    Is this a summary of the facts?
    1. If Wigan can’t get a win in their last 2 games we are safe already with the 3 points lead
    2. If we could get 4 points we would be guaranteed survival.
    3. If Villa lose today, 3 points guarantees survival
    4. If Wigan draw on Tuesday, 2 points is enough for us
    5. If Wigan lose on Tuesday, 1 point is enough for us
    6. If my aunty had balls she’d be my uncle

• 5 Laurent Robert 32 // May 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Yes indeed Rotonda, great points.

The BBC Radio Newcastle Total Sport archive goes up on the site to listen to.

I could only listen to the first half yesterday.

John Anderson reckons Pardew should be allowed another chance next year.

I’m quite shocked at this as I remember last year him and Mick Lowes saying post-match in commentary that “again Mick, we’ve picked up points without playing well.”

I remember hearing this a number of times, so I don’t know why he’s not linked this to the decline in league position this year. It’s clear as day if you watch every single match.

• 6 Laurent Robert 32 // May 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Toondog, I just hope it is a manager with Euro pedigree. If it was a Curbishly or McLaren I’ds sponaneously combust with a mix of sadness and anger.

I’d like to think Graham Carr will advise Ashley bearing in mind he is the main source for recruiting the players to the model which Ashley wants. He watches the games so he can see in more detail which managers played a certain style of football.

• 7 yo-yo // May 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Magpie

and If Pardew had ballls he’d be SAF…

I reckon we are going to get an endless stream of posts from Ed over the next few weeks – either are we signing Remy or are we signing AC.

Assuming we get the 3 pts…

• 8 Spotlight Kid // May 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Spitfire@2 I think Pardew is not already in menopause…

Actually post-menopause, pre-senility (just).

• 9 Spotlight Kid // May 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Magpie@4

If AP had balls the ONLY statement that would matter is this…
    6 POINTS is the target I have set, if the club achieve this we will be safe and I accept I might still be sacked for screwing up this season. If we fail to achieve this 6 points I will resign whether we survive or not.

• 10 Joe Blog // May 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Well, Jonas is starting tomorrow and our manager has just shown how basic his take on set-plays are. Been snapped with one of his notes in training yesterday, magnified they say:

“Jonas to block Taylor’s man. Gouffran, Cisse + Colocinni to run far post. Mapou to block goalkeeper + score 2nd phase.”

That’s it….

• 11 Joe Blog // May 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Could be a choreographed bluff with the photographer, but I really, really doubt it!

• 12 Transfer Sage // May 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Joe

Them notes seem fine to me.

Martin oneil was once asked how his sides got so many goals, when he was at villa, and he said I have two good corner takers who put the ball in a dangerous area and commit a lot of men to attack the ball in the box.

It’s simple really. With the height of some of our lads, cisse, sissoko, Taylor, colo, shola, we should win plenty just by sticking a good ball into the area.

• 13 hdavid23 // May 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

dont want him, we have too many french players already in my opinion… dont get me wrong, its not against their nationality, but you should not have such a dominant group from the same country in your team, other than your home country

• 14 Joe Blog // May 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

TS

The only thing us, we’ve been trying ‘regular’ corners for the last few hundred ‘, with zero success, yet this is what he comes up with as a solution – more of the same ineffective rubbish. Too much to expect a bit if imaginative experimentation? A 5 year-old could come up with his ‘strategy’.

It’s Jonas starting that was my primary issue, anyway.

• 15 Grantosuk // May 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

@hdavid

Never did Arsenal any harm did it?

• 16 Bowzer912 // May 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

@GujNufc #3 Probably a lot. I’ve been watching some Ligue 1 this season and he has put in consistently class performances nearly every game and got voted in the TOTS team on Fifa in the most consistent team without an inform alongside Nicolas N’Koulou the Marseille defender. If we could get Gonalons he would probably be around 10m.If he replaced Tiote and N’Koulou replaced Coloccini we would have an unbelievable squad.

• 17 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // May 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

If Remy still comes to us? He will have to take a cut in wages !

In January he went for the money, and tried to tell us afterwards that money had nothing to do with his decision !

Yeh, right Loic, you must think we are flipping stupid at Newcastle !

Our biggest mistake was not having someone else lined up when the Remy deal fell through?

Because of his decision in January, i don,t want to see him playing for us?

• 18 Dulcinea // May 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No thanks – Hope we don’t go after Remy again. Not because he’s another frenchman, which is just a silly reason not have him – but because he didn’t even bother to turn up for a visit to our stadium when we offered him the chance of a look around, instead he saw the bigger wages in London and choose a terrible club who were obviously always going to be relegated. Don’t want him anywhere near Newcastle. He had his chance. Only want players who WANT to come here.

• 19 GeordieDan // May 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Remy is a very talented striker who obviously thinks very little of our great city and club and even more obviously preferes to live and play in London earning crazy wages.

He said himself that he thinks there is very little difference between between the 2 clubs NUFC and QPR!!!!

He obviously has never bothered to listen to the other French lads he’s supposed to be close to at our club.

To be honest considering how ***** our season has been he probably feels he is justified in the bollox he talks as well.

• 20 mickg108 // May 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Fornicate him,with a Mackem lass with Gonorrhea,who’s on the Game,,this twat is a Ponce,,go for Bony instead,If we stay up :(…That game plan is REALLY going to work,as we consistently score from corners…Pards has more consistently lived up to his CV.

• 21 toonluvva // May 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

If we can get Remy for a decent price and salary, I’d definitely take him.

Who in their right minds would turn down the sort of offer that QPR made him? I’d have done the same thing in his position.

By not replacing BA we suffered due to a lack of strikers. If we don’t get Remy, we MUST get in 2 decent strikers over the summer.

previous post: Newcastle’s Situation Eerily Similar To Relegation Season