Newcastle Win 2-1 – Safe At Last! – Hallelujah

Newcastle got the win we needed to secure our safety in the Premier League this afternoon – but as is Newcastle’s way – they put the fans through hell and high water in the second half after Newcastle had gone 2-1 up at the half.

yoan gouffran GOAL QPR

Yoan Goffran surrounded after scoring great opportunist goal

And it was Ben Arfa with a fabulous penalty who got Newcastle’s first goal which was scored just seven tes after Loic Remy had scored first after 11 minurtes from the penalty spot, after a stupid foul (again) by Mathieu Debuchy.

And then on 35 minutes Yoan Gouffran score what turned out to be the winner – when he hit the ball first time into the goal – after some terrible defending between Bosingwa and the goalkeeper – a terrible goal for QPR to concede.

This lad is good and he’s scored two vital goals for us at West Brom and now at QPR – and he had a good game today too.

But this was not a win in style – and Rob Elliot – just to add to the drama got himself sent off 10 minutes form time when he took the ball out of his penalty box.

What was he thinking?

Both Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias were at the game – and both aged five years by the final whistle but Mike Ashley was delighted at the final whistle – because we are safe.

The commentator didn’t realize that but we are one point above Aston Villa and six points above Wigan – so if Villa draw it means Wigan get 4 points maximum – and if they win Wigan get 3 points maximum – and a win by Wigan means Villa sat on 40 points.

QED – we’re safe – job done.

But the second half was simply awful – but hats off to the back four who again played well and out best players were probably Coloccini (again), Yanga-Mbiwa and Yoan Gouffran.

The lads got the job done even though it was painful in that second half – but it was the first win in six games – and the second away win of the season.

And would you believe it, but we moved up to 13th position in the league – and heaven knows what position we can finish in if we beat Arsenal next Sunday – which must be the goal.

With Rob Elliot unavailable, it also  sets up a fairy tale ending to 20 year veteran Steve Harper’s newcastle career  – who will play his last game for Newcastle – and we think that was his 200th appearance for Newcastle this afternoon.

And credit to the traveling Newcastle fans who were simply magnificent today – they are the salt of the earth for Newcastle United.

I haven’t been to get on the site for 70 minutes – since it was over-run at the final whistle – hence the delay in this report. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

Teams:

Queens Park Rangers (4-4-2): Robert Green; Jose Bosingwa (Fabio da Silva 46), Nedum Onuoha, Clint Hill (c), Armand Traore; Andros Townsend, Jermaine Jenas, Stephane Mbia (Shaun Derry 46), Junior Hoilett (Adel Taarabt 84); Loic Remy, Bobby Zamora

Subs not used: Brian Murphy, Esteban Granero, Ji-Sung Park, Jamie Mackie

Newcastle United (4-3-3): Rob Elliot; Mathieu Debuchy, Mike Williamson, Fabricio Coloccini (c), Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa; Yohan Cabaye, Cheick Tiote (James Perch 52), Jonas Gutierrez; Hatem Ben Arfa (Steve Harper 82), Papiss Cisse, Yoan Gouffran (Gabriel Obertan 77)

Subs not used: Danny Simpson, Vurnon Anita, Sylvain Marveaux, Adam Campbell

Referee: Lee Probert (Wiltshire)

Attendance: 17,278 (1,608 Newcastle)

• Rotonda heights

May 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Just hope our next manager is not an out of work gambling pal of Llambias and Ashley.

Pardew said ” I won today” Doesn’t that say everything

• Tsunki

May 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

All hail mathematical certainty.

P45 & lift to the bus stop for Pards.

• kevymartins

May 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

@Toondownsouth I just thought every newcastle fan was following to bottom of the table and there fixtures very closely but anyway…

• Beattie25

May 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

So what’s the way forward?

7 more years of this sort of football or end it now whilst we have a solid reason to sack him?

• kevymartins

May 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

We can all relax now and stop stressing over pardrew 😀

• ToonDownSouth

May 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Rotonda

You never replied to me earlier, so I feel it’s important to state: I was not backing Pardew, by any stretch of the imagination. I simply said that there’s no need to criticize him off the back of heresay and wild made up stories – his real faults are there for all to see, there’s no need to make stuff up.

Now, are you really sure that Pardew will be leaving?

I feel he’ll sweet talk his way into Mike’s heart again, especially if we beat Arsenal next week and end up finishing mid table.

• Ben3arfa

May 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Seeing Sir Alex getting the send off he deserves on TV, dont think that will ever happen to any manager of our great club anytime soon

• Tsunki

May 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I know its belated but after Alan’s last ‘milk & honey’ blurb I have to say, Alan – stop, just…..stop.

Its embarrassing to hear him slight the fans for criticising the players and staff. I have a good idea Alan, why not and I know its radical, but why not just stop setting us up as targets? Kick that around a bit. It might have something going for it.

• mohtoolz

May 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

No please I cannot watch this for 7 more years. I haven’t watch our last 10 games. I just cannot watch this horrible football. I would turn on the TV and go do something else, clean the house, Play Mario on Wii U, i Just cannot watch our football.

IT SUCKS!

• lesh

May 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

If we beat Arsenal, could we end up in 10th? The reason I ask is that if we could and did, then the club’s stated aim of 10th will have been achieved and Pardew could be deemed as having met his target and…

• scout

May 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM

He is surely a goner now…..

• scout

May 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Does Pardew have a brother I saw him at a carboot sale, absolute double of alan

• popscott

May 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Now come on Wigan, make my season!

• BandB

May 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The slide is finally arrested. Can someone tell me a scenario in which we aren’t safe?
    Meanwhile, three goals without reply, two for Wigan and one for Spurs, and we have our bragging rights back. Yay!

Jesper

In my experience, getting nowhere near your targets and then suggesting your bosses have under-achieved tends to be suicide. Even if they accept some of the blame themselves, they will want to see evidence that AP accepts some responsibility and has a track record of learning from his mistakes.
    To fail all these tests, and then say “let’s do things MY way now!” suggests he may lack emotional intelligence.

• scout

May 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Are we in for mcauthur at Wigan?

• CramlingtonMag

May 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Did nobody else think that the penalty was a blatant dive (again) from Hoilett after the initial foul five yards back?
    And that Elliot didn’t definitely take the ball out of the area? His feet were out but this isn’t rugby…

• toonbrother

May 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

safe at last safe at last thank God almighty we are safe at last

• toonluvva

May 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Ed got it spot on “the second half was simply awful”.

Typical Pardew, we got our noses in front and his response was to try and hang on. I think we only had 2 chances in a 2nd half that seemed to last 4hours rather than 45 minutes.

Safe at last! So Mike, time to peddle Llambias and Pardew. Go on do yourself a favour. A new CEO (or whatever role Llambias was supposed to do) will give you a better perspective on how to develop the team. The new CEO should be immediately tasked with seeking out a replacement manager to replace Pardew.

Imagine a new CEO & manager, some modest spending in the summer to bring in a couple of strikers, a CB and a couple of defenders.

Dispose of the deadwood like Jonas, Tiote, Willo, Simmo, Shola and Obertan. However much we get in for fees will go against the cost of the incoming players, plus their wages will be off the books.

The future could well be bright for us next season, but persisting with Llambias & Pardew will only see us fighting relegation next May, and we might not escape then!

• moonraker

May 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM

These players are better than they produce as a group! We are crying out for a top manager who can coach in the basics of pass and move to retain possession.

I am sick of us losing possession and putting ourselves under pressure. I cant believe Swansea’s players are better than ours but the team looks light years ahead.

We need a top tactical coach and I would love Benitez or Laudrup.

• Readingmag

May 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Sorry wants 5under1and to stay up….it will be dull …the looking forward…the enjoy and the sadness…Pardew go !

• toonluvva

May 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Readingmag.

I agree, I want us to avenge the 3 nil debacle with a vengeance.

Once that is achieved, I hope they and PDC drop into the championship never to be seen again.

Sadly that won’t happen under Pardew I think.

• Owldman

May 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Love them or hate them! Wigan play some great football, at times they passed Man City off the park, would take their left winger, guy with the long hair, to replace Jonas.cracking player.

• Real Football

May 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM

So many Pardew haters. Of course we all know why. Performance in this season really suck. It is really disappointing but we’re out of the QUICKSAND. We were in hell but now we’re back. Give Pardew a chance. A new manager might come but he’ll not take us to the top. 6-9th position at best. Of course that is much better than the present stage we are in. My point is give Pardew a chance. He’s not stupid as many of you think. It’s not easy to finish 5th in EPL. You the English fans must know that among all other fans of the world (I’m from Asia- Yes there are Newcastle die-hard fans here too) Be rational Geordies. Just because we were in the quicksand doesn’t mean we are finished. This kind of situation not only test the spirit and integrity of the Manager or the players but it tests the fans also. This few weeks I’ve been looking at the table, counting the points and analyzing- ah it was hell but I certainly believe we can do it. And now we’re save. So what the CLUB can do now is learn from the mistakes and proceed. If a new manager comes he’ll certainly need time to adjust and the same story will continue. Eg., Mancini joining City. If I am the owner of Mancity I’ll still keep him (they are going to sack him now) after all he gave them the title last season. There’s no trust. Newcastle must learn from them. Trust Pardew. Just give him a chance. He was in hellish quicksand too. He just don’t play simple long pass as many of you think. As far as I think he’s trying to do something different but at the moment it’s not working out but trust him. We are responsible for his confidence. I’m sure he’ll deliver nest season. May it be so. HTL

• nufc.romania

May 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM

we are 100% safe ???

• Footballwatch

May 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

If you wish you can watch Newcastle’s important win against QPR in full and its highlights on http://www.footballwatch.net/team/137

• Sav

May 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Thanks, but no. Its the result that matters. I don’t want to watch it again – with our luck we might let another one in on the re-run!