This Frenchman Already Showing He’s A Great Defender

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa captained Montpellier to their very first French championship last season, and since he’s arrived on Tyneside, he’s been immersed in Newcastle’s immense struggle to avoid relegation.

mapou yanga-mbiwa closeup

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – great start to Newcastle career

And in the last two games with both Davide Santon and Massadio Haidara being out injured, he’s played two excellent games at left back for the side, and he’s 3rd in our voting for Man of the Match for yesterday, behind only Coloccini and Ben Arfa.

Mapou has already demonstrated something we already knew before he arrived from Montpellier – that he can play well anywhere across the back four.

And he has already started in every position along the back four for Newcastle in his 18 appearances so far  – and watch how good this guy will be next season for Newcastle, as he gets used to the Premier League.

Mapou is a leader on and off the field, and once he learns English and settles in on Tyneside, we think this  lad has all the attributes to be a future Newcastle captain.

And if nothing else he has already shown he’s up for the fight as a Newcastle player, and has shown guts and passion for Newcastle when wearing the famous black and white striped shirt.

Well done Mapou and long may it continue.

For the record Mapou played 219 times with four goals at Montpellier – and he has 3 caps so far for France,  and only turns 24 on Wednesday.

He is already looking a good buy for Newcastle.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Beattie25

May 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Please god don’t let anyone put he should be kept at LB on the back of 2 good games.

The boy is the future at CB. You’ll see, you’ll all see!

Torq, any chance on Sakho?

• TorqToon

May 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Yoyo -Remy I’d another very real possibility. Although apparently Ashley isn’t overly keen, given what happened in January.

Although nobody can doubt his footballing ability. Anybody notice he barely celebrated his goal yesterday and in fact looked slightly embarrassed!!

Just to stoke the fire a little more…! 🙂

• Black and White with an army lol

May 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

i think Pard’s will play him as a mid he’s that stupid

• WWYCD

May 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Torq
    Hope ur right about the transfer window mate I’d be chuffed with that though no defenders on the list?

• Black and White with an army lol

May 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

TorqToon

any news on bringing young blood in for first team like Hughes from Derby?

• yo-yo

May 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Torq

yes I did notice the low key celebration

• Black and White with an army lol

May 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

lads do you remember the time when Joey Barton was at Man City known as a trouble maker, we had doubts when he came to us but look how he turned out when he played for us, maybe Remy would do the same and turn nto a top class player for us

• Laurent Robert 32

May 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM

As always Torq, thank you for sharing.

Belhanda and Ben Arfa would be fantastic if coached correctly. However…

• Dannyo

May 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Only reason he’s not been as good at CB is due to lack of communication. He’ll improve as his language does.
    On the right or left you’re more on your own sort of, just making sure you keep in line with the CBs when defending and etc.

• TorqToon

May 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yo – yeah sorry mate. There are plenty of targets to strengthen our backline.

Mirin’s name keeps cropping up. And is very possible. On sakho – he would cost more than other targets, and I think should Colo leave, he will be the replacement. Not happy at PSG, best friends with HBA and the obvious French connection. He would be my #1 target.

Reports over here that PSG want to break the bank (yet again!!!) to try and win the champions league next season. With Rooney and hummels their top targets!

Thus pushing Sakho and gamerio further down the pecking order.

Honestly, I think we will spend big this summer!

• TorqToon

May 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Laurent- agreed!

That must be either a new manager or a brand new and modern coaching staff to help pardew out.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Beattie,
    If I’m honest, I don’t know much about Clement other than he was at Blackburn with Kean and he was in charge of Chelsea’s development group not long after Rogers left. Oh, he is also a PE teacher, I think I’m right in saying Mourinho was also a PE teacher before joining Bobby.

I would be willing to give someone of this ilk a chance, but I would want someone working as a Director of football, or in some capacity to link the board and him who has the skills, and experience of managing at a high level. I say this as it is a huge gamble bringing someone like this in. If he isn’t successful, then we have someone above who will have learned about the club in job, and can seamlessly come in and steady the ship if required.

• Beattie25

May 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Likely ins this Summer:

Hangelaand, Carroll and Sulejmani.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

TorqToon

any chance that Javier Pastore could come to us lol 😉

• Beattie25

May 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Lilongwe

I agree totally.

• WWYCD

May 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Torq
    Nice mate I’d adore Sakho not sure in Mirin tbh sound like he’s gone off the boil but that’s just what I’ve heard not seen him play if am honest. I’d take Gameiro over Remy as well

• Dannyo

May 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

@Beattie25
    Hangeland… You’re really not good at this “ins and outs” thing are you?

• Big Pappa Cissé

May 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Has looked shaky at times but you can tell he oozes class and will be a monster next season. Must be hard being paired with Taylor half way through a relegation battling season in a new league and not knowing English. Until Santon works on his defensive work this is our best backline.

–Debuchy—M’biwa—Collo—Haidara–

• Beattie25

May 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sulejmani is Benfica bound. Didn’t know that.

• TorqToon

May 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Black and white – as I say, I don’t hear much from the UK side. Sage, proud and markaccus tend to be your go-to guys for that.

But would love to see Clarkie do us a favour and send Nathan Redmond our way. And Marvin sordell would bring excellent youth and goals to our club if we could prise him from Bolton.

• Beattie25

May 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Dannyo

I just think we’ll scrape by again, although Torq has given me much hope.

• TorqToon

May 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Black and white…I’d go pick him up myself if that was the case!!! 🙂

• Laurent Robert 32

May 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Lilongwe, Ottmar Hitzfeld has a Maths and P.E. teaching diploma.

• Beattie25

May 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

So many decent youngsters in the championship at the moment that we could have a seriously good British based u21 team.

It takes major investment though and I wish our owner would just splash his cash.

• TorqToon

May 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Beattie – I think its a MUST that we spend mate!

Cant see any way around it.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

wonder how much MA will splash next season??????!

• Black and White with an army lol

May 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

i think the pasty tax has been stopped now so extra money in his pocket lol

• brains

May 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I am an older fan of the Toon and actually was present when we won the UEFA cup (home leg!).

I get a bit dismayed at the level of hatred between our group and with rival teams.

I hope Sunderland stay up. I think the derby is great and it’s great when we beat them. I’d much rather have the derby next season than not.

Many of you will work with Sunderland fans and get on great with them. As individuals they will be good people (even though they are deluded) as most people are.

All this hatred spirals down into a shitty world with shitty behaviour and a lack of respect for others.

I am not able to go on Sunday but I would love to see our hero Mr S Harper. I hope he gets a coaching role he’s been a fantastic servant to the club and a loyal player/fan.

Arsenal put 7 past us recently..I hope this is being shown to the team. I think some dignity might be restored by a Toon win.

• Dannyo

May 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

@Beattie25
    Personally I think adding a striker is enough, and replacements otherwise are important.
    Think our focus will be on the underbelly of the team. And rightly so probably.
    Next year our current crop will be further along, so should perform better, but they still need the PL experience. And if we keep adding to the first team where we have capable youngsters coming through, we can forget strengthening the underbelly.

They need to make a choice and stick with it.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

“I hope that I know well the basics of math in football and try to apply them” – Ottmar Hitzfeld as coach of Bayern Munich in 2007.

What, what a place to start. Someone pass it on to Pardew.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

*Wow, what a place to start

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Does anybody honestly think there’s going to be an influx of new players this summer with 14 games less to play and give new recruits in January,more likely to see Collo leave and Tiote being shipped out,with Mbwia being called Collos replacement and LB Curtis Good being the non purple back up.

• ToonDownSouth

May 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Well if Ashley doesn’t see Pardew as the problem, what does he see as the problem?

The only other real contended is investment.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Ashley will have seen this season as a success bar the 11M net spend in January a truly successful season would have been a mid table finish whilst only having to spend the 7M for the inevitable sale of Demba Ba .

• outsidethebox

May 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

would love to see sakho at toon
    krull
    mbai collo sakho
    debuchy cabaye sissoko santon
    benny cisse marv
    would be some team …

• Dannyo

May 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

@TDS
    Plenty of things to sort out which doesn’t involve changing manager though.
    – Injury prevention work
    – How to increase consistency in player form
    – Strengthening the squad
    – Adding to the coaching staff
    – Helping youngsters to more PL experience
    – Adding to the underbelly of the team.

• Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter)

May 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Jose Bosingwa

Allan scott pardew

• ToonDownSouth

May 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Dannyo

But most of those involve investment 🙂 I was just pointing out that either Ashley changes manager, or he invests. There’s not really any way around that.

You haven’t posted much lately mate, what’s your feeling on Pardew?

• Iain Dowie

May 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

FICKLE FANS
    The biggest problem this year was the team being changed week in week out, whether that was down to injuries or bad management or even both i’m not sure. Last season the starting line up was consistent throughout the season. This season we have had injuries to players such as Colo,Taylor, Santon ,Krul, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa and loosing our top goal scorer to chelsea (demba ba)

I really do think Pardew deserves another chance to get this team back playing next season, A fully fit squad with our players playing back in their natural positions such as sissoko and some quality additions to add creativity and improve our defence will stand us in good stead.

Top Priority for next season should be for Pardew to find a formation that not only suits his playing style but gives players such as Ben arfa to thrive in. Also buy another quality striker as we have been so so lucky that Cisse has stayed fit all season.

Hopefully Ashley backs Pardew in the transfer market and we can push on and build a stronger squad for next season.

• TorqToon

May 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Jail – I do believe we will make big changes mate. I think we have too!

Hopefully the club will surprise us again. 🙂