The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Need To Have Real Strength In Depth

12:03 am, Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Alan Pardew has done a lot of talking since Sunday, and that’s due to the relief that Newcastle are now in the Premier League next season, when the new TV deal means a lot more money for Premier League clubs.

pardew great shot

Alan Pardew - must fix what’s wrong with the squad

As an example of what that means, the bottom side in the league next year (that’s not Newcastle) will get as much as Manchester City got last year when they won the Premier League for the first time – that will help to put it in perspective.

There should be a good debate between Ashley, LLambias and Pardew after Sunday’s final game, as to what needs to be done this summer in the transfer market – who should leave, and who should come in – and hopefully our squad will be a lot stronger for next season.

One area the club has to concentrate on is growing and improving players from inside the club, and since we sent a number of lads out on loan in late January and early February, most have done very well playing first team football, and they will be lot better for it.

This is some of what Alan has said since Sunday:

“For us that Europa League is an experience that we’ll be better for. We can take that from this season. It was my first campaign in Europe and I think I made errors – especially at the start, maybe chopping the team too much.”

“We got injuries in that competition and we’ll be better for that if we get in there in a couple of years time.” “The overriding emotion that I have is that we didn’t have enough quality in depth. If I could put my first eleven out every week at this football club I think I’d have a top-eight team,

“If we’re going to say ‘OK, maybe a few of our players can’t play a full season – you can’t put it out every week’ we need more strength-in-depth. That area we’ve worked hard on.”

“In the last six months we’ve loaned out our young players so that they progress a bit quicker.” “We’ve looked to some of our players in terms of giving them extra work to try and improve them and that’s what you can do.”

Keeping all our players we want to keep, and getting in a couple of strikers will mean we’ll have good strength in depth for next season.

And Wigan were beaten by Arsenal lat night, and they are relegated with Reading and QPR, and they are the first team to win the FA Cup and get relegated – and it all happened in a short four days.

It’s also the second time in three seasons that a cup winning side has been relegated, after Birmingham went down two years ago after winning the League. Cup when Oba Martins scored the winner in added time.

And those teams also get to play in the Europa League – so no wonder England has fallen from being the top league in Europe – that has now been taken over by Spain with Germany close behind the Premier League in third place.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Munster Mag // May 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

” We wasnt a fret ” . ….( threat ) ….sorry, hadnt said that in a while. Couldnt help myself…:)

• 2 nightfa11 // May 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM

what will he do with depth if he always put anita & marveaux on the bench.. & playing the same team over & over again..

• 3 Beattie25 // May 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM

So basically this means our players that couldn’t cut it this year are the strength in depth for next?!

• 4 JToon21 // May 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I have realised that I have got to the stage of just skipping past any comments that Pardew now has to say. I have never known a Newcastle manage to offer such drivel and cite every excuse under the sun for the failure of the team than take any sort of personal responsibilities for the poor performances we have witnessed this season. I am all for stability and keeping faith in a manager and the examples of Moyes and Ferguson have been mentioned in recent weeks in reference to this. However, Pardew has yet to demonstrate a run of performances whereby faith should be placed in his abilities. When we win we do so by the odd goal we never dominate teams and often have to be bailed out by individual pieces of brilliance by cabaye and Ben Arfa. The time is now for Ashley to sack AP and replace him with a manager with proven success. After watching the Arsenal game tonight I can see a real hammering for us on Sunday.

• 5 manxpie // May 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

beattie i faackin actually laughed out loud at this

Manxpie

People assume I think Pardew is to blame

now i know but you don’t say often enough!?
    there is many many reasons for this seasons failings pardew has actually said he faacked up chopping n changing the team early on that to me says he’s learnt something and the only other big reason absolutly down to him is him playing cisse n ba together but i can understand it but the rest really has gone against him

if you look at when he took over the players then and the players now hes had to deal with a hell of alot plus got us 5th i mean he’s got another record this year for playing the most ammount of players this season 32!
    now i know you thought last season we didn’t play pretty football but do you expect that with a pretty new squad?
    and again this season the starting squad until january was very down beat (due to the summer imo) and bad form and injuries compounded that
    then we got 5 new players from a lesser league coming into the hardest league in the world to change our whole season round and again he’s had to deal with that and i personally think hes done that well and may i add cabeye,santon and cisse he’s brought them all to this league and they’ve looked very good
    my stance after all that is he deserves a chance to actually have a full squad and actually put his mark on the team which lets face it he hasn’t had the proper chance much to alot of posters want to say i bet if you asked him his best team since he’s been here you’d be very surprised!
    this season has been a rightoff for me he deserves a full squad to see wat he can do if a much much better manager (better than benitez he’d ruin this squad we’ve only just built up!)
    then yes ofcourse but who is better with prem experience and that ashley would actually support and pay for??

• 6 Thump // May 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM

@JToon21: In all fairness, neither Moyes nor Ferguson offered a lot in their first few seasons either. I’m not a Pardew fan by any means but it looks like we’re stuck with him. He’s still a relatively inexperienced manager so we may as well get behind him because Ashley appears to want him in the dugout (ignoring the rumours regarding Rafa, of course).

One thing I will give him credit for: this is the first time he’s accepted responsibility for anything that I’m aware of. Perhaps Carver has pulled him aside and told him to sort his loaf out.

• 7 Guj NUFC // May 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Am I the only 1 that thinks we can get a positive result from the game on sunday.

• 8 nightfa11 // May 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

its not about him being inexperienced..problem is he doesnt want to learn

• 9 Laurent Robert 32 // May 15, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I’ve just filled out that Chronicle review with my scathing opinion on Alan Pardew, the con-man, his basic of basic unchanged errors each week with plenty of evidence to back up my claims.

He’s definitley going on that radio on Friday to try and soften the blow which he could find himself being subjected to by an angry crowd with another poor performance on Sunday.

He is pathetic and I hope we don’t see new coaches and players to play it his way when all we have to do is change him and keep most of the very good players which have already and add a few more to them.

• 10 manxpie // May 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM

on some of the posts that say from indervidual brilliance??
    is that not what players are for and bought for??
    i mean if messi cleared the ball of the line would you say shit thats not wat he’s bought for?
    thats suppposed to be why you enjoy them so why dont you just enjoy them moments instead of using them to fit your argument!!
    look at this season most of cisse’s most unspectacular goals have been disallowed n most unfairly!!

• 11 blew // May 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Next season we start afresh, building a new team around Jonas.
    This regime and the fans will never be compatable.

• 12 LeToonARMY // May 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

TBH I cant see us getting no good players in this summer

1 we dont like to spend money
    2 players will not wanna come to such a club playing so bad
    3 pardew needs to go and bring in raffa
    4 youngers never get a chance
    6 AP MA and DL never learn from their mistakes

I cant see us doing too much this summer IMO if im honest

• 13 JToon21 // May 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

@thump , Ferguson had previously won the European cup with Aberdeen and although he failed to win anything in the first 3 years at Man United he still had proven success. Compare this to Pardew a manager who had found his standard in the championship / League 1 and would still be there if he hasn’t been mates with Ashley and DL. Look at the season we finished 5th can you remember many matches were we outclassed teams ? The only ones that come to mind are United at home and West Brom away, those aside we scrapped through games and get smashed at lower teams such as Fulham and Wigan

Just look at the stats for this season we are a wet poor team and it has been exposed in many games the defensive fragility it’s have been exposed in many games from a manager that prides himself on how he sets his teams up.

• 14 JToon21 // May 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM

In reference to my individual brilliance remark, this is I meant Cabaye free kicks that bailed us out of many a game when we looked like we had no chance of scoring

• 15 SimonToon // May 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Can someone tell me when the last time sacking our manager for a single poor season paid off?

We have been in a rot since you all complained that 5th wasn’t good enough, so we had to sack Bobby Robson. Get a grip. All you guys do is moan. I admit I haven’t enojoyed this season (aside from europa), but I still have faith that managerial stability is key in the EPL.

New season, extra players, more epl experience, less games.

We will be well in the top 8 and can continue building from there.

• 16 magpieboom_6 // May 15, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Bring in a brigade of top internationals. That’s great. But who’s going to set them up to play and put together the most solid 11 to get out and play up to their billing? That’s what scare me the most. Pardew doesn’t seem to be the one to be able to put the pieces together to get a solid squad playing great.

• 17 tweaked // May 15, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Wouldn’t mind taking kone from Wigan, think he’ll light up a fire under cisse’s arse

• 18 ilovetoon8788 // May 15, 2013 at 4:59 AM

So he needs to put his best eleven out every single week to achieve something in our club?

What a fool. Which team doesn’t have injuries at any point of the season??

Worrying. I want him out. His footballing philosophy Sucks.

• 19 El Sleeve // May 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM

no adaptability and flexibility. a footballing philosophy of an underdog. tyhis is not NUFC.

such a crying shame some fans just accept this mediocrity/drivel in the name of stability.

very sad

pards will never be a fegie or a moyes, comparisons are totally unjustified.

• 20 Ian Toon // May 15, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Tsunki please forgive me i have only just read your post but this equates with my recent posting/ thinking. I would suggest also Transfer is broadly in line – based on a brief chat last night. As a club we have underperformed but we need to move on a focus on how to get the best from what we have rather than clear the decks with all that involves.

• 21 Roger // May 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I think it`s enough now, with the critics against Alan
    Pardew. We had to listen, that he will be the manager
    for the next saison. This is fact.
    So we hat to speak about our players. For example
    Debuchy, what is this for an idiot. Make`s a foul in
    the game against QPR. Brings us in trouble for
    nothing, or what happened to Cisse, he is not the
    super player, to many chances, no goals.
    Ben Arfa, he is always playing for itself, he often
    don`r see that there are other players in better positions.
    Sissoko, he was good for one game against Chelsea
    and then, we don`t see any other game from him, he
    played well. NUFC has a good team, but this is
    not a team with world class.
    And with this players it is very difficult to play for gold.

• 22 Ian Toon // May 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM

63Tsunki // May 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    It helps if I include it!!!
    No I don’t fall on the side of good luck/bad Pardew but I think we have to be reasonable and look at the signs Pards is showing with regards to crisis management. Despite a fairly hefty injury list, he had a reasonable core of players to hold most mid to low table teams at arms length and not lose for most of the season, and that is an understatement.

Behind the scenes, training and fitness are issues for me. We have shown to be diabolically behind the pace of virtually every other team this season. Drilling players with certain skill sets to drop them in favour of ‘strengthening’ their abilities to drop back and defend has backfired, with players dropping out of position all over the park. Only the much-maligned Jonas has managed with varying success to actually do this, but the likes of simpson, santon, (players who should nail down their primary roles above all things) being stranded upfield time and again. The long ball that doesn’t work, the woeful application of set-plays and corners that are an embarrassment to the league, the daft gung-ho games where we have been royally done… it goes on. Rather than continuing to see if the sour milk will turn into good cheese, I think we should see the trend and arrest it. Summer would be a good time for Mike and Del to sit down and count their pennies in the transfer budget, and slide a good chunk over to a better management and training setup. At the very least Pards needs technical help. And a PR man.

• 23 thepict // May 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Ian , the fact that our players only train for a couple of hours a day is ridiculous. I would have thought that they would be training twice a day. Chelsea have a sports injury specialist their first team doctor .
    This season review that is going to take place after Sundays game also needs to take account of all the hamstring injuries our players have had this season. The point you make about a good proportion of the transfer budget being allocated to a better training and management setup is spot on. I don’t think that Steve Stone and John Carver are of sufficient quality to help Pardew.

I know it would take a fair bit of cash to setup a sports injury centre but it’s got to pay dividends in the end . Also spending money on the coaching staff to more technically adept coaches would pay dividends on the pitch.

previous post: It’s All Rubbish In The Media