Newcastle’s Premier League Posiiton Can Lie

Newcastle are currently in 13th position (unlucky for some) in the league table on 41 points, and we are 2 points behind West Ham in 10th place.

alan pardew - pensive mood

Alan Pardew – presided over one of Newcastle’s worst PL seasons ever

So if Newcastle can beat Arsenal on Sunday and get our second successive league win, then we could end up in 10th place – if the other results go our way, although West Ham need to lose at home to already relegated Reading, because they have a much better goal difference than us.

That seems unlikely, but Newcastle could still finish above our current 13th place with a win or a draw on Sunday.

And that wouldn’t be representative of how Newcastle have done this season in the league, since in truth we’ve been hopeless and sometimes downright embarrassing, like the games at home to Sunderland (3-0) and Liverpool (6-0), and the way games at Arsenal (7-3) and Manchester City (4-0).

There’s 20 goals conceded in those four games.

And if we don’t win on Sunday, this will be the second worst season ever for Newcastle in the Premier League in terms of points, second only to the 34 points we picked up four years when we were relegated, and less than the 43 points we gained in both 2007 and 2008 – which is currently the next lowest points total ever by Newcastle in the Premier League.

Our worst goal difference ever was in 2008, when we had -20, one worse than we had in our relegation season, and currently it’s -22, so a draw or a defeat or even a one goal win on Sunday could see that be the worst ever for Newcastle.

If we do finish between 10th and 13th place, it will look a lot better than the actual season we’ve had, in which we’ve conceded a massive 67 goals, two goals worse than we conceded in 2008 – and that was the precious worst ever.

It’s been a truly terrible season for Newcastle United – fact.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• ichrisho

May 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

…. There has to be at least a few players who have fallen out with the manager… there has to be some reason for it… His tactics at Christmas cost us the games against Sunderland and Liverpool… it should have been other way around… Blocking Marv and Anita from getting playing time will bite him on the ass this coming season…

• Spoof

May 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Very true, finishing 10th would give a false reading of how we have done, but whoever finishes in 10th would be in a false position, so why not take it, someone has too and the other sides are about as deserving of the position as we are.

• John Tudor

May 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

kick in the stots not up the ass he may enjoy that

• Markaccus

May 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

FROM PREVIOUS:
    Rotonda. I agree with the Injury worry. He hasn’t managed a full season since he left. However i do not subscribe to the fact that AC = Hoofball. He certainly gives an option for that if things are not working. (several times this season we could have done with a big man). He has very good ball skills and also, like many big men, looks slow but is deceptively quick. Also we are DESPERATE for a genuine arial threat. Andy is a handful for defences

• Indian Magpie

May 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Is philip coutinho a better player than HBA

or

Is rodgers better than Pardew?

• ichrisho

May 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Countinho is different player but not as good…
    Rodgers is a better coach and manager than pardew…

• croftus5678

May 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

if asked i would say carrol is a lot better on the floor than he is in the air in fairness

• Laurent Robert 32

May 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I’m worried that Pardew will spin his delusions on Ashley and Derek in the review and they will believe him.

As we’ve seen, he lays it on thick about injuries, pitch etc but the prat fails to see his awful tactics don’t work each week. It must be massively draining to the players to keep running around the opposition simply putting tackles in then booting it up to Cisse and waiting in place for the ball to come back again.

I hope he gets rid of Pardew in the meeting, but from what I’ve been told, there may be some more coaches coming in. I don’t see how that will help as Pardew will still be giving instructions to launch the ball to Cisse and sit back for entire halves, like he was doing last year as well. It’s all wrong and I’m sick of it.

• JToon21

May 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Indian magpie I don’t think you can really compare the two, coutino is an out and out playmaker whereas Ben Arfa is more of an attacking midfielder.

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

What an alarming coincidence that all of those unwanted stats are during Mike Ashleys ownership.

• TorqToon

May 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Mark – How was your bus travels? Any news on Mr. A. Carroll??

• donkey

May 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

if you were a defender who would you rather mark cisse or carrol……. ansers pls

• Indian Magpie

May 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Donkey

No need to mark cisse, he is always offside

• Hatem's better than Messi

May 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM

LR32

Most of us are sick of it … but will Ashley see Pardew as a failure?
    As far as I know we were supposed to finish in the top ten every season and have a go at the cups … fail then.

Sack him now, too many fans are against him … it’s just a question of time …

• Indian Magpie

May 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I asked that because

Coutinho seems to have gotten better and HBA seems to have regressed. is it because of the managers

• Markaccus

May 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM

On this article… you get the points relevant to the results. so everyone down here has done as badly as everyone else. EVERYONE gets good and bad breaks. It has always been generally accepted that the league table doesn’t lie and even if it is a little inacurate you still finnish within maybe 2 places either side of your form. If you look at how close it is in the bottom half then a possible (not likely) 10th is not entirely unfair. Take away my projected correction factor of 2 (oohh i am being posh) then 12th is not unfair either. the worst possible is best possible is 10th, worst is 17th, so if we finnish 12 to 15 its not making us look better than we deserve really. I do realise this is a bit vague but i am just trying to put things into a less negative light 😀

• Yohan

May 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Players I would sign from free agents (Out of contract)
    -Douglas (CB)
    -Hugo Viana (CAM)
    -Keisuke Honda (CAM)
    -Fernando Amorebieta (CB)
    -Tomas Necid (ST)

• Spahndirge

May 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Would anyone fancy Arouna Kone from Wigan if available?
    Reminds me a bit of Benteke and has been pretty good when ive seen them play.

• Markaccus

May 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

not sure what happened to my last couple of lines there 😮

• Indian Magpie

May 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Mike ashley needs to realise, a good manager however expensive will make the money he is getting paid. Unlike pardew who is a liability

• Yorkgeordie

May 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Ray Parlour on Talksport: “Arsenal will be too good for Newcastle”. I get angry when we are dismissed out of hand these days and I just hope the players get angry and respond. The manager ? He doesn’t care if we lose 4-0 now that his job is assured

• Indian Magpie

May 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Good manager – revenue center
    Pardew – cost center

• Markaccus

May 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Torq… No news on carroll i am afraid. the bus was a little late so i missed the ITK crowd, and i had to nip into greggs for a saussie roll so i didn’t catch the wise old tramp who shouts transfer news at the pigeons.

• croftus5678

May 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

@13 indian

lol correct

• Indian Magpie

May 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Sometimes i feel Ashley is not firing pardew because, he owes pardew money rather than the other way round.

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Markaccus

It’s funny how the option of hoof ball = if things aren’t working!!! A sort of upgraded version of Shola.

Rodgers isn’t stupid and has got them playing some great football without Carrol as the 6-0 without their best player Suarez showed.

Carrol isn’t the worst on the deck but players get lazy
    when they see a giant like beacon and start lumping it from anywhere.

• low fell mag

May 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The statistics are alarming,also you can add to that we only won 2 games away from home and they wre not convincing wins by any means.
    I defended Mr Pardew right up until the liverpool game at home .Never mind injuries and too many games,his team set up and tactics for that game was more than enough for myself.
    Through my short time on this blog ,when i was Pro Pardew ,i had heated moments arguing with Rotananda heights @ Catchy,i have since apologised to both. They were and still are 100 percent correct.
    So anybody who still sides with Pardew,please look at the statistics,he has to Go,especially when there is some great managers out there who would love a crack at managing our great club,Rafa for one.
    We have survived this season ,but do we play Russian roulette next year with Mr Pardew or fix it now.

• Spoof

May 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Indian, we all know your views on Pardew, but can we change the subject, its like an obsession with you, there is more to Newcastle than just the manager, lets move on until a decision on his future has been made, and then we could debate him again

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

A 8 year contract is crazy. It just breeds complacency and an ”untouchable” no matter what attitude. Rolling 1 year contracts keeps everyone motivated

• mondziu

May 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I have not posted in a long while, but I need to share my views with you now and I will make up for a couple of months of my silence.

I was reading through the ProAP-AntiAP debate for the last couple of days and oddly found out that most posters I usually agree with have different views to mine on this particular occasion.

I wouldn’t say I am a member of the ProAP camp, but I think it is reasonable to give him another chance and here’s why. Read it before beating me up. 🙂

The fans and press alike assess the managers and players based on their most recent results/performances. While this is only natural, it may also be dangerous in the long-term, resulting in knee-jerk reactions. A club with financial restrictions such as ours can hardly afford the cost of change at the helm every year or two and you could make an argument that no club can. Each and every manager will have his ways and changes in playing staff are inevitable with new manager coming in.

A valid counterargument was very popular among the AntiAP camp. Is keeping a manager obviously not good enough simply for the sake of stability justified? My answer is no. You’re probably now wondering why I want to keep AP after that statement. Well, I’m not so sure he is not good enough to take this club to another level.

Right now he is extremely unpopular due to poor results, hoofball tactics and mishandling the media. Last year people were praying he wasn’t leaving to become the next England manager, because of Newcastle’s great results, attractive counterattacking style of play, great togetherness and unity in the team. In my opinion he is neither as good as people believed him to be last year, nor as bad as you believe him to be now.

It’s very much down to the momentum. When it’s going your way, it’s going your way, and the other way around – it never rains, but it pours. This is especially true if you are a Newcastle United supporter. But when things at the club aren’t going our way, we should stick together and show unity, as it’s the difficult time that shows your true character, not the time, when everything works. Putting additional pressure on the team and the manager hardly helps. And at a huge club with so much supporters, the pressure is enormous. Especially that the media love a good ‘NUFC in crisis again’ story.

Where does the cycle start? In my strong opinion it all starts with expectations. Obviously every supporter craves for the success of the club. But what constitutes a success at NUFC? A top half finish? European qualification? Top 4 spot? Or maybe a decent cup run? Surely this club is big enough to think about trophies and top league positions. But are those realistic aims for the next season and were they a realistic target for the current season? I believe the answer is no, we are still a couple of players short of it and we certainly were several players short of it last summer.

Considering the purge in our squad short 3-4 years ago, with relegation from and promotion to the EPL, taking into account the short transition period from being newly promoted side to one competeing in Europe, we could have expected a hiccup. In my view expectations of top4 fight and a challenge for at least one of the cups were unrealistic. What is more, I believe some of the comments from AP that have been slated for showing ‘lack of ambition’ were simply given as an attempt to manage the expectations of the fans and send a message to keep our feet on the ground. The same was happening last year, but it was so much easier to manage when we exceeded expectations all season, it’s a different story now. Keeping expectations down is essential – expecting an overachievement every year means dissatisfaction with decent results. Is this season decent? Probably not, but all things considered, I think this season is not as disastrous as some think.

I really, really believe the injuries have cost us. It is NOT a cheap excuse, it is a fact. Crucial partnerships from last season were broken. Our midfield duo of Cabaye and Tiote, that set the Premier League alight last season spent 701 minutes on the pitch together. Krul, Coloccini and Saylor – the backbone of our defence spent 534 minutes on the pitch together. As a comparison Gael Bigirimana spent 413 minutes on the pitch this season. All those numbers concern the EPL alone.

This factor cannot be underestimated and belittled, we absolutely lacked stability in terms of squad selection and it was not by AP’s choice. Having said that, I accept he is responsible for keeping them fit. But with a European campaign for the first time in his career, I also accept there is a lot of room for error. I might be more forgiving than most of our fans, but I was learning a new job myself for the last year and I know mistakes happen even if you try your best. It’s only those who do nothing that make no mistakes. Sure we could have avoided it by hiring an experienced manager, but is the grass greener?

Benitez, who many of you suggest as our future manager has his flaws as well, some are very familiar – mishandling the media and picking his favourite players no matter what. I will swiftly move to AP’s team selection and his stubbornness in picking favourite players. I for one can see the logic of that, even if it annoys me as well sometimes. When you lack stability, you go for proven solutions. Picking players that achieved last year’s success was just that and I can’t blame AP for it. For those criticizing Gutierrez and hoping for Benitez I have only one comment – Dirk ‘I-Am-Extremely-Handsome-And-My-First-Touch-Is-Excellent’ Kuyt (deployed as a winger).

You will never ever find a manager that will make exactly the choices you would like him to make. I would really like to see AP having a third attempt and I truly believe he deserves it.

PS. Thanks to anyone who read all of this. I’m not native English speaker, so forgive me any mistakes and BTW could someone please explain to me, what did AP mean by saying “chopping the team too much” in a recent interview? I’m not sure and I’m really curious, but google results for alternative meanings of chopping are inappropriate for this blog and I doubt that’s what he meant.

• Markaccus

May 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Rotonda. The proper use of long ball is if a team come to you with the sole perpose of getting a draw. 10 men behind the ball. If you can’t pass it through them (which happens to the best teams, not just us) then sometimes you need to switch to a more direct style. you don’t have to do it all the time. And comparing Shola to AC? erm, ok…..

• ichrisho

May 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

There is no-way that Ashley is going to sack Pardew… Billionaires rarely want to know when they are wrong… if we would have went down he would have stayed and now that we are “safe” – he will stay… I would give him one more season with the excuse of injury and lack of depth and see what he can do… if in relegation battle by Christmas… only then I would say then MA will cut his losses…

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Spoof

With respect it is the only topic of conversation at the moment. Season’s done, no transfers yet. Speculation
    and hope for a football manager to come in is where it’s at at the moment unless you want to debate the merits and / or otherwise of Ukip etc

• Munster Mag

May 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Is it fair to say that on the whole, the neggers have been proved correct? ie Pardew is pretty crap, despite having plenty of very decent players. Most people want him out from what I can make out?

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

markaccus

Probably before your time but Hoddle as the best exponent of a long forward pass ever. But he made them land on a sixpence.

We were told we were only hoofing because of Willo
    and Simmo but since they’ve been out of the team we still head the long balls attempted chart. Worse than Stoke!!!

• Spoof

May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Rotunda, I will be amazed if the 8 year contract doesn’t have a clause which allows Ashley to sack Pardew without having to pay the full 8 year’s wages, Ashley is no fool, he would never allow such a contract to be given on the back of one good season, if Ashley wants rid of him then he will go, and I do not believe that Ashley would have to break the bank to do it.

• ichrisho

May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

@Munster – I dont think it would be right decision to sack him now… he does seem to be playing the media a bit much mind… to be honest, its a managers game nowadays as if he gets sacked – he can claim compensation… keep him tidy for a few years whilst he waits for Yeovil Town to get back to him on his interview… (that said Yeovil Town may be too good for him)

• Indian Magpie

May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Pardew’s MF against mancity at home

Jonas, Anita, Bigi and Tiote

Pardew’s MF against Liverpool at home

Perch Cabaye tiote Sissoko gutierrez

A team in turmoil after their player recieved a 10 match ban. He drops the goal scorer gouffran from previous game.

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

last season clean sheets and goals conceded, i have looked at the table and worked out our average goals against and done the same v a few other clubs

take the no of clean sheets , divide goals A by the rest of the games

not in cluded man u/c chel or ars

team CS GA AV per game

nufc 15 51 2,2
    qpr 7 66 2,1
    wig 8 62 2
    ast 8 62 1,7
    sun 11 46 1,7
    eve 12 40 1,7
    liv 12 40 1,7
    spuds 14 41 1,7

3 team that where relegated had worse

this season 6 clean sheets, av goal against us is 2,12 goals

hmmm food for thought about how good we were last season,

this season, like i have said is the same as last year but with out the luck,,

5th place was great, but it was built on nothing,

• ichrisho

May 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Any one of these would be good… we’d be super lucky to get McCarthy… he is the new Roy Keane… less hot-headed mind… 🙂

1 2 3 10