The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cabaye Will Only Leave Newcastle For Silly Money

1:31 am, Thursday, May 16th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 113 Comments

The only way Yohan Cabaye will leave Newcastle in the summer, is if a big bid comes in for him – which meets Mike Ashley’s assessment of the player, and since Yohan is Mike;s favorite player we think the fee has to be around £25M.

yohan cabaye   both hands up

Yohan Cabaye – will only be sold for big money

We saw the story by ESPN that Yohan was hinting at wanting to leave Newcastle, but we didn’t read his comments in the same way.

This is what Yohan told ESPN yesterday, when he was asked if he would be staying at St. James’ Park:

“For the moment, yes. There’s one game left, we’re going to try and finish well before the holidays. With regards a transfer, I have agents who take care of that aspect of things.”

“PSG are a big club with a great project. But I’ve been playing in the Premier League for the last two years. I feel good here. I would be happy to continue in England.”

Yohan would also have been prompted that the rumor is that PSG want him in the summer, which is why he mentioned PSG – and he’s hardly going to say they are a small club with a useless project for the future.

As we said it could be that Yohan wants to leave in the summer, if PSG or some other big club with more money than sense comes in for him.

PSG are backed by owners who are trying to make Manchester City look like a poor club, so we may get silly money for Yohan in the summer – and if we do, then we think Mike Ashley will take it.

But we’d rather see the French International stay on Tyneside for next season, and help us challenge again for a top six place.

Note: Please refrain in the comments from criticizing other readers who don’t agree with your point of view – this blog works best if all we all show respect for other readers – thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target · Yohan Cabaye

113 responses so far ↓

• 1 bettyswallocks // May 16, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Novo

Do you think he was being sincere?
    I think there is an underlying skit going on.

He can t be serious surely.

• 2 rfcready // May 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Anyone like Bent at Newcastle?

• 3 Novocastrian66 // May 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I thought the same as you initially, but the further I read the more I thought he was being serious. He makes some valid points.
    Anyway nufc.com have announced that Friday’s planned phone in has been cancelled. No reason or future date given.

• 4 Novocastrian66 // May 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Bent couldn’t get into Villa’s team. So I would say no. I think there will be; better, younger and cheaper options available.

• 5 Roppa // May 16, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Laurent Robert 32

Completely agree with your post from the previous thread #39. My own opinion is that he is deluded, but to me his comments are an insult to every NUFC fan who goes to / watches the matches. To think that we will be taken in by such cr-p is beyond belief. Regrettably, a few are, and the danger is, unless there is a vocally strong majority, we will have more of the same next season.

Laurent Robert 32, Beattie et al, we cannot give up. We must not accept the unacceptable! Let’s make MA understand – we deserve a top 6~8 team with a top manager.

• 6 Sydney Toon // May 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM

We may lose one or two of our stars unless Pardew goes. Cabaye has clearly been very frustrated this season.

• 7 true toon // May 16, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Just realised that those teams that beat NUFC in the europa/uefa qf, sf. They ultimately ended up as losers in the Finals !

Marseille beat us and lost to Valencia !
    Sporting lisbon beat us and lost to CSKA !
    Benfica Beat us and lost to Chelsea in the QF !

• 8 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // May 16, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Arghhh bloody hell. This is the kind of thing that comes out to drive a price a little higher.

It’s exactly what happened with Carroll and Enrique.

It would of course help if we played the type of football which utilizes a top quality passer like Cabaye by not missing him out as the ball flies from Williamson/Simpson/Krul/ Taylor etc.’s boot straight over his head!

Oh and Tiote not being completely and abjectly awful would also help.

When Cabaye can thread balls through for Cisse’s runs we can look brilliant- the problem is we barely ever seem to get into those kind of positions.

I think he really needs to be played quite deep to play a role like a mix between Xabi Alonso and Xavi: he can play the stunning long range passes (cross field of floated over the defense), the short simple passes dictating play and eye of the needle through balls.

How I wish we would pass the ball!

• 9 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // May 16, 2013 at 4:57 AM

@rfcready – PLEASE NO!! Bent would be near the top of the list of players I least want to see come to Newcastle. We already have a poacher who is far, far, far superior to Bent.

He is amateurish outside the box and is not even a very good finisher- one on one with the keeper he is terrible. He misses so many chances that his goal records really aren’t that impressive.

P.S. Sorry for double post.

• 10 valle // May 16, 2013 at 5:19 AM

The way I read Cabayes quotes he IS angling for a move and would prefer a move to an EPL club. If we can get 25 mil+ for ANY of our players, we should take it. They can all be replaced by cheaper options. The one who will be hardest to replace is actually Colo, that was pretty clear when he wasnt playing. Its not like “dreamboat” took things into his own hands and rallied the team.

• 11 petey // May 16, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Disagree, Cabaye will leave for maybe 15 mill i reckon. He will demand to go and NUFC wont have a choice.

IN OTHER NEWS

how come Stuttgart (http://www.footballshirtculture.com/13/14-kits/vfb-stuttgart-2013-2014-puma-football-shirt.html) get a cool puma kit and we get lumped with the 2002 template? Imagine an away toon kit with pin striping with these colours :

• 12 Oleg G // May 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM

David Villa to Spurs?!?!?!

• 13 yorkymag // May 16, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Cabs is off
    The only hope is a new manager who can motivate him ,rather than our current maestro
    In a rationale state I have to say that if someone is prepared to offer £20m it’s hard to say no and I am not sure that he is quick enough to warrant that expense a gifted player no doubt but maybe we have seen the best of him

• 14 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM

No matter how good the Ingridients are, if you have a bad chef, you will only get served Uncooked, unhealthy, inedible food.

Vice versa

• 15 Toonmania // May 16, 2013 at 7:14 AM

To be honest I’m not overly fussed about keeping any player that doesn’t want to be here, NO player is bigger than the club so just say bye bye on their way out.
    Cabaye has been a disappointment this season his head has not been in it and when he was made captain was the biggest letdown for me not once did I see him shouting orders or rallying the players to pick it up and push a bit harder.
    to me he’s been a massive let down and I’m not fussed either way as I just want to see players that want to play for us not because we are offering them a route into the PL

• 16 yorkymag // May 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I do agree with the comments that he has not ad his best season ,but in fairness to him he has not played in his most natural position goodness know why and then to play him as a number 10 was simply madness
    I can only guess what he thinks of the manager but it won’t be that he is a good manager

• 17 kww // May 16, 2013 at 7:20 AM

gonufc, alot of posters here are so upset cabaye played so deep in the midfield, argued that he so be in a more advanced position.

cabaye has suffered a loss of form this season mainly due to euro 2012 fatigue plus a number of niggling injuries.

the biggest problem with our passing collectively is the lack of movement which is the coaching responsibility. that is what they should focus on. our players of course need to make sure they are able to pass the ball 5 to 10 yards and pass the ball early. tiote’s way of holding the ball so long is a big no no, and to be honest if we need to raise money for transfers i’m happy to see tiote moved on. his performances this season are at best average, and mostly mediocre, which is unacceptable being a “purple”

• 18 yorkymag // May 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I don’t think there will be many takers for Tiotie
    he is damaged goods not only in terms of form but deforming discipline
    The only hope for him is abroad cant see a premier league team being interested possibly Hull maybe

• 19 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Since Cabs is a good passer it really don’t really make sense playing him in an advanced position since he’ll only have Cisse in front of him.

It is not like Cabs is fast and creative like Benny so I think he’ll be much better in a position where he can pick passes and where he can be our playmaker.

He is a deeplying MD in my book.

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Morning all,

Sorry to start on a non football related topic, but it is being reported by SS news.

Seems Jesus is back and claiming that the “defeat was undeserved” and he also bemoans “lack of luck”…isn’t it time to move on, I mean talk about old news.

Anyway, begrudgingly, congratulations Chelsea.

That “coloparty” frenzy last night was fairly amusing, got to love the toon army faithful.

I suppose all that’s left to ask, is Rooney signed up yet or do we have to wait until after the Arsenal game to make our official move?

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Jesper…Are you sure some of the pages of that book aren’t stuck together?

Morning mate :)

• 22 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM

On Cabaye, perhaps I’m being a little simple here, it wouldn’t be the first time, but does a few yards in either direction make that much difference?

Isn’t the issue that others aren’t performing their roles properly and Cabaye is having to run all over the place and thus not being completely effective?

In theory, he should support the DM and then move with the attack. If Tiote is on, he should be the one sitting back and allow Cabaye to push on with the attacking personnel, allowing little passes, movement, etc, no?

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:03 AM

It’s an early morning hat-trick for Ibiza…perhaps too many coffees already.

• 24 yorkymag // May 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Ibiza
    You are not simple (well on this point )!!
    But the hard thing to understand is why has Tiotie been in an advanced position of cabs on too many occasions this season
    I would love him to stay but don’t see why he will feel the same way with the way he has been used ,I do understand he has had no real break because of the euros but having him charge around the field is not his forte
    That’s what we bought sissoko for ,but that’s another story not a great right winger!!!

• 25 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I really think cabs will leave if PSG come for him. Every chance they will as well as he does the business for France and would be seen as a big signing for them too.

• 26 elpaso_geordie // May 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I think Cabaye is a cert to leave this summer ( take his Bessie mate with him as well please)…

Am a season ticket holder and the patience in the stands from fans is staggering. If Allardyce or Souness or JFK had the team performing as they are now fans would be protesting at matches ( you don’t know what your doing etc) but there is NOTHING from the stands. I cant believe how we settle for something so poor these days tbh, Its not our league position for me although it should be far better it is the drab, 80s style English hoof ball that I have had to endure for 2 years. If Pardew stays we be better off losing cabaye, marv, Anita etc and sign some plyers that are linked to West ham and Stoke cos we play their style of football now and most fans don’t seem to give a dam that we do…..

• 27 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM

jesper

would have to disagree with you there. Not saying he can’t play a deep role but i don’t think he has a range of passing suited to a deep player…he long balls are often no where near the target.

I think just behind the striker threading balls through for the 3 infront as well as getting into the box (~like nolan does) to chip in with more goals.

• 28 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Yorky…Cheers :)

I really don’t understand Tiote surging forwards at all. With the exception of that strike against Arsenal, he shouldn’t be anywhere near the oppositions goal.

I can see how the mistake of Sissoko staying as a No.10 came about, he did really well at first. But RW? Ermm…no.

With Sissokos strength and pace surely he should be at CDM and then push on?

Anyway, as I’ve said before, I think fear and panic has had a good strong hold on the manager and players minds for a while.

All of these things can and need to be addressed this summer.

Time will tell with Cabaye and whether he’s had enough. People are assuming he’s off, but he could also just be tired, getting over depression and general frustration at the year he’s had. It may have nothing to do with Pardew. Be interesting to see how it unfolds.

• 29 yorkymag // May 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I think the distance between the fans and the owner have created a level of detachment that makes people think “well so what” very sad but true I fear

• 30 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM

elpaso_geordie

The problem is we have an owner who has seen us relegated and appointed a string of poor managers.

It’s like us fans have accepted mediocrity as it’s a step up from a few years ago when we went down.

Somehow ashley has gone from being hated and getting abuse like previous owners to somehow being accepted.

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I think after us getting relegated, it just took that feeling of entitlement away for many. Humbled us a bit, if you will.

I think most accepted that to get back near the top, which in reality we hadn’t been there for a fair few seasons (even before Ashley is we’re honest) and that we’d need to climb our way back up slowly, especially with the business model in place at SJP.

I don’t think it’s a question of no more ambition, but a patient outlook to fulfilling that ambition.

Clearly, if Ashley were to fund a top manager and the players you’d need everyone would be thrilled, but failing that, I can wait and let them try to build something.

Pardews default is a defensive one, but he has shown signs, granted mainly last season, that he can allow the team to play a more fluid attacking style. For me, it’s finding a way to get more of that.

I’d be gutted to just change Pardew for another mediocre manager, which is what I feel we’d get.

• 32 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

ibiza

on total sport on radio newcastle there were planty of people ringing up last night and they were getting asked what they would ask pardew.

A lot seemed to ask good questions.

-set pieces
    - formations/defensive play/out of position
    - want to be entertained
    - confident of new players coming in

All seemed good questions so hopefully when it’s rearranged these people will get through, they said they would have a good mix of questions.

• 33 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM

ibiza

quick question

would you like a mediocre defensive manager or a mediocre offensive manager?

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

TS…Is it acceptance or just straight up inability to know what is actually going on?

There is this golden carrot being dangled in front of everyones faces which may or may not actually be there :)

I don’t think many know what to make of it. Even Jail, who clearly isn’t a big supporter of Ashley is seemingly partially on the fence as to what might happen this summer.

• 35 yorkymag // May 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Got to go to work
    It’s been a pleasure exchanging views in such a balanced thoughtful way this morning lets hope that continues as other bloggers wake from their slumber s
    Rafa to be manager announced on monday well I’m hoping

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM

TS….Quick answer, an offensive one. However, (you just knew that was coming…) as we already have Pardew at the club and me personally not seeing him as the biggest disaster since Mike Williamson, I don’t see the need to change him for a potentially equally mediocre manager.

I don’t see why we can’t wait, continue to build, establish ourselves as a top 8 team and then push on.

That only works for me, if the players are onside. If not, then he does have to go a.s.a.p.

I know many will say he can’t make us a consistently top 8 team and they may well be right, but they don’t know that for sure, none of us do. As it stands, we’re 7 points off 8th with one game remaining, last season we finished 13 points higher than 8th.

As always transfer, I will take an upgrade any day, but failing that, I would stick with stability for now (but that isn’t endless).

• 37 elpaso_geordie // May 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Pardew :- For such a defensive manager we as a team cant defend that well

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // May 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I think Cabs is playing to deep at the moment but it is partly due to others underperforming that he is occupying this role. I’m not sure he is a number 10, he doesn’t have the trickery required for that role. He doesn’t have the stamina for a box to box player, so…… all in all, I’d take 15mill plus Sakho and their 17 year old midfielder Rabiot.

• 39 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM

ibiza

I think this summer will decide a lot of the mood in fans. Two big things to happen.

1. Bring in some players, not just a few little signings but we need to improve the quality which with what we now have will mean a couple bigger names (even if they are 20/21, we need some of the better ones like dortmund do)

then

2. get a much better manager who more fans want

If Ashley does one of these things there will be general approval, if he does both people will really take his talk of kicking on seriously.

But if he does neither I think the mood around the club will really turn and he will start to feel the wrath of a lot of fans in the stand.

• 40 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Yorky…Have a good one.

I did note Ed’s comment on this article :)

Play nicely everyone.

• 41 HullMag6 // May 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Heard a rumour Friday phone in cancelled – is that true? Could be an indication – taxi for pas de clue.

If so like my fellow Yorkshireman Rafa announced Monday fingers crossed.

As for team issues cabs and socks at cm takong turns breaking play and surging forward
    Sell tiote a walking liability

• 42 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I will criticisize,

Come on Ed – I dare you block me

• 43 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

lilongwe

I wouldn’t play cabaye as a number 10, more of an advanced midfielder of 3 in the middle with some combination of sissoko, tiote and anita behind him depending on their form.

I think the genuine number 10′s we have are marv and HBA.

• 44 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Elpaso…I would have to take a close look, but I don’t think our defensive record is helped by some really stupid individual errors and a few horror results.

In general I feel our defense under Pardew has been fairly sound, which sounds bizarre really.

TS…Can’t argue with that at all. I hope that whatever they’re planning this summer that they act quickly.

• 45 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM

hullmag

Yeh it is, they are rescheduling, hopefully next friday but Pardew said he wants to finish the season off which is a good idea I think.

• 46 Rainrix // May 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Ah i take back what i said yesterday, apparently ed does read the comments :)

• 47 sparky55 // May 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Cabaye knows Pardew is staying which is exactly why he’s going and he’s absolutely right. Why would any french international creative midfielder want to play for a manager who doesn’t utilise the midfield when attacking only leaving said creative midfielder to defend deep when the ball comes back the other way.

Cabaye is sick to his back teeth playing for pardew and I can promise you he’s off, along with anita and Debuchy.

Pardew is a cancer that has spread to the players and they all want out before he kills them and their careers.

Sacking pardew might cost 4 million but rebuilding most of his midfield and buying another two defenders will cost him a lot more. It’ll be like starting all over again so in my view Ashley should invest in a footballing manager who can keep the squad together and we’ll then we’ll be able move on better with a squad that knows eachother rather than start all over again.

SACK THE USELESS FCUKER

• 48 Harley // May 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I’d snap anyone’s hand off for 20 million plus for cabaye.

We could replace him with MacArthur or Maloney who have been much more effective this season and still have 10 – 15 million left to buy another forward.

• 49 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Ibiza

You may or may not be aware,

we have the 2nd worst defence in the BPL

• 50 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM

elpaso

I think the defensive problems come from having attack and defense as two separate things. They are linked. A lot of teams not ‘defend’ by keeping the ball and not letting the opposition get possession and also this pulls the opposition around the pitch and then they can exploit gaps.

We seem to defend by keeping 10 players in our own half then we attack and everyone has to run 40 yards to link with cisse….players will be exhausted and it creates too many simple mistakes as ibiza pointed out.

I think Pardew, if he ends up staying, needs to really look at what he has done in his time here and think about what needs to be done to put it right.

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // May 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Hull,
    I didn’t realise Rafa was from yorkshire! ;-)

Sage,
    So how do you accommodate him? You can’t play 3 central midfielders with one in an advanced role, and a number 10, that leaves the area behind the striker too crowded imo. I think Tiote is our only genuine defensive mid, Anita is a better ball player. Sissoko for me is an out and out box to box player, and ball carrier. So 2 of those 3 can sit behind one other for me. But that means leaving out 1 of our 2 better players. I don’t see HBA as a winger at all.

• 52 davis_toons // May 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM

@7

Marseille beat us and lost to Valencia !
    Sporting lisbon beat us and lost to CSKA !
    Benfica Beat us and lost to Chelsea in the QF !

-Do you guys remember when Newcastle United was well respected by club around the world?

-Against the likes of Baca and many big clubs?

- We are still not even a finish product during that time. Our defence is still poor and looking for better defensive unit. But too bad, the project did not complete itself.

It will be very hard to reach that kind of heights ever again.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // May 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I think if we finish tenth next year which is technically a top half finish and make 10M profit then that would show that the five year plan is working and prove us doubters wrong.

• 54 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM

TS

Why do you think Pardew will improve? what signs have you seen in last 12-15 years of his managerial career

• 55 elpaso_geordie // May 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Harley

Macarther and Maloney over Cabaye – what you taking ?

Maloney plays more wide for a start and has had 1 good season and is nigh on 30.
    Macarthur doesn’t even always start
    mind you doesn’t matter who we have in midfield they will only get to touch the ball 5 times a game #hoofhoof

• 56 Greebol1892 // May 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I think Cabaye will go for around 20m – which is about 4 times what we paid for him. The lad has been frustrated too many times with being played in wrong position with wrong tactics too long & played when not fit; it’s affected his game (hence poor form). I can see him in a manure shirt unfortunately, where he would be world-class. Not sure if Moyes likes him tho so he may end up at arsenil.
    Hope we can keep him though – what a fantastic player! I hope we can get a new manager instead who can get the best out of our star international players. A signal of intention and ambition – not just cashing in on our best talent.

• 57 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM

lilongwe

I’d have a 3 of sissoko, anita and cabaye with cabaye pushed up. Let sissoko bomb on when there is chance to do it. The good thing is with those 3 they can all have set roles but they can also all fill in defensively if one is caught out of position.

I’d then play three narrow forwards – cisse, ben arfa and gouffran (ideally somebody new). Let cisse be central but the other 2 can wander in whereever they find space.

I think marv is good then good cover for cabaye when he needs to rest or a great sub. He could also be used as one of the forward 3 as long as he isn’t forced too wide.

• 58 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM

We must be the only team to call regression, progression.

• 59 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Indian…I am aware that our overall defensive record this season is shocking (incidentally I think we’re joint 3rd worst – Wigan 71 / Reading 69 / NUFC & Villa 67), my point was take away the stupid individual errors and the say two ridiculous spankings (9 goals in two games) and I think game to game we generally don’t do too badly, especially last year. Seem to remember the joint top best defensive record for a fair while last season.

• 60 Greebol1892 // May 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

as for Shrek….. we’ve got more chance of signing Lord Lucan. Utter tosh.

• 61 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Hate to admit but a win on Sunday and a top10/11/12 finish would be very, Veryvery misleading.

Pardew with his injuries will milk it even more. I am hoping pardew gets shown up for what he really is a charlatan and hope his charade is over for good

• 62 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

indian

I don’t think he will improve but the difference now, compared to his previous jobs, is that he now has a swuad full of technical players where before he only had a couple at best so there was no need for him to change his style as the players might not have been capable of it.

I still doubt his ability to change but, if he is kept which i doubt, he will show next season whether he has the ability to change of not.

• 63 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Prdew gave Guthrie more chances than Anita, now who is a better player.

What kind of muppets does pardew take us for.

• 64 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

indian

if we get 10th it is 100% deserved.

It would mask the style of football but it is a fair reflection of how effective a team are. After 38 games there are no false positions.

• 65 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Indian

A caller and John Anderson on total sport last night made a good comment about guthrie. Saying how Pardew seems to pick certain players no matter what for they were in and that’s why guthrie wouldn’t sign a new deal, dropped after doing well.

They worried other players may feel the same and want out too.

• 66 HullMag6 // May 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

The way I’m reading things

If Pardew stays then colo, cabs & a n other may jump ship

If he goes there’s a chance colo, cabs etc will stay

Is that right? If it is then he has to go selling fringe players yes but ‘spine’ (purple) players no.

Taxi for pas de clue

• 67 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Indian.

PL games only.

Anita (12/13) Start 17 / Sub 1 = 18
    Guthrie (11/12) Start 13 / Sub 3 = 16

Now I’m not saying Anita has been utilised properly, but stop making stuff up to suit your argument.

• 68 woodsee // May 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

It still puzzles me how we are now a sellin club,while we are owned by a billionaire ,whos businesses seem to go from strength to strength.Surely at some point if he wants to win something hes got to go for it

• 69 Lilongwe Geordie // May 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Greebol,
    If Cabaye wants to go, then you can hardly call it cashing in on our top talent. Only Carroll has been sold due to cash reasons, other than that there have been extenuating circumstances for departures.

However I agree a new manager would probably change Cabayes mind, and if we don’t get a new manager then we are better off signing a midfielder who suits the style Pardew wants to play and letting Cabaye leave.

• 70 nufcjohn56 // May 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM

i have the feeling we will see a much clearer picture after the arsenal game when it will become clear if pardew is to go or stay.
    i think a lot of players are also waiting on that decision and if there is a rift in the camp it will show itself then.

if we are thinking about losing our manager then the time to do it, if we want an upgrade will be now as there are plenty of candidates out there, if we have the desire to go for them and progress.
    if we give pardew say 10 games next season and it doesn’t work out i feel we will be limited in managerial choice and will have to stick with what we have or take someone worse.

• 71 Mag.no // May 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM

On Cabs i think he is more effective in a slightly more offensive role, but his movement is not good enough to be a number 10. I agree with Transfer Sage on that one, HBA and Marv. I would love to see HBA as a number 10 without too much defensive responsibility, linking midefield and attack. I have not seen that link in about two years.

Radio show and Pards. They knew the dates of the show and the match when they announced it? Then it might be something else(that’s what i hope for at least), and perhaps it’s cancelled because there is a chance he won’t be our manager after the Arsenal game. Why bother then with the calls?

• 72 davis_toons // May 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM

@48
    “we have the 2nd worst defence in the BPL”

If we can outscore this, we will be fine but we just can’t.

• 73 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM

woodsee…It still puzzles me that people think we are a selling club.

AC – Stupid money
    Nolan – Wanted a 4 year contract
    Barton – Too much trouble, was challenging the owner
    Ba – Had a release clause.
    Enrique – Wanted out

Was there anyone else really worth talking about to justify the idea we’re a selling club?

• 74 woodsee // May 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Guthrie and Anita are much the same quality,in my opinion not good enough for the toon

• 75 nufcjohn56 // May 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

woodsee.
    where is the evidence that we are a selling club.

• 76 Lilongwe Geordie // May 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Sage,
    I like your style with that, my only worry would be that we leave ourselves a bit open. While our full backs are decent, they are all better at going forward then they are defending (Simpson is the exception). Without an out and out dm to sweep in front of the defence and cover the full backs I feel we may leave ourselves wide open to counter attacks.

Unless Anita sits and does that role, and simply provides a link between defence and midfield with short passing, as he is capable at covering full back when one pushes forward to offer width.

• 77 davis_toons // May 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I hope Pardew will improve just like Simpson does.

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // May 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Sage/Indian,

If we finish 10th, we do deserve it. Not due to our quality, but it is a reflection on how poor other teams have been as well. It may mask how we have played, but so have a lot of teams. We just don’t look at them as much.

• 79 woodsee // May 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Plenty players want out,unless they play for man u ,so what about release clause,if the right infrastructure is in place it wont matter they wont go,stupid money for Carroll i agree,but he was still sold

• 80 Indian Magpie // May 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM

No one expects Ashley to bring in a manager that is currently in job. But please for goodness sake pardew NOW!

• 81 Jail for Ashley // May 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM

ibiza,
    As anti Ashley as I am I do protest when people say he’s buying cheap to sell big as there is no evidence of it YET,however when we were doing well Pardew couldn’t seem to shut up about losing our players to “big” clubs luckily he’s been to busy spouting other bits of shite to put players in the shop window but it is this that might make people think were a selling club.

• 82 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM

ibiza

I think we have the same policy as a lot of clubs in selling…only for the right price, all do that.

The problem is with the buying. We don’t buy at the right time, put things off too much. I think we also need to make sure we buy a few older players…experience is important.

• 83 Lilongwe Geordie // May 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Guthrie and Anita the same quality? 1 a full dutch international, the other has had a largely unimpressive season with Reading. Seriously?

As for us being a selling club, at the right price of course we are. But so are Arsenal and Man U. In fact, most clubs are.

• 84 JAMSHA // May 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Bring back Guthrie, Sack Pardew, Sell Tiote

AND FKKKKK THIS ADD

• 85 WWYCD // May 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

If he wants out he wants out but we best start planning now and have a replacement lined up, CAM ideally

The coming transfer window should be interesting we should have a good transfer kitty (we wont) and we have had long enough scouting time to cover our problems and get in what who want if we have spent time sorting the deals

I dont think our image has really been hurt all that much we have had a very rough season but one season doesn’t define a club

Plenty can change over the summer to help fix whats been broken as long as its done correctly new manager, new coaches or new players all make a new end product. All depends on how our owner sees our future going

• 86 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM

lilongwe

Yeh i would have anita sit more but if he does bomb on if the chance opens up then sissoko/cabs will have to drop off for a minute until he gets back.

And i agree 100%…after 38 games you get exactly what you deserve.

• 87 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Jail…I am definitely always open to the idea that it might change, but to date, we certainly aren’t.

I still think Pardew is smarting from the AC sale

“Andys not going anywhere” – whoops.

From what I’ve heard Ashley has turned down offers for key players, how much those offers were I don’t know, but I’d imagine they were for a profit.

Ashley is one confusing character. Would love nothing more for him to prove us with any doubt wrong, but it is hard to wholeheartedly believe in him.

• 88 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

lilongwe

And as you say, it’s fair after 38. Points are awarded for wins/draws not pass accuracy and possession.

• 89 Harley // May 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Elpaso I’m taking my little boy to nursery. What a weird question????!!!!!

Anyway I wasn’t talking about swapping cabaye for that player I was talking about about swapping cabaye for a good forward and one of those players. 2 for the price of 1 I’d take that deal any day of the week.

Oh I think I may have got my mcs mixed up, I think it might me McCarthy. Anyway, the better younger one is who I meant

• 90 woodsee // May 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

When he was bought Anita was an international,certainly not now,too lightweight,couple of good games for the toon and thats it,same as guthrie

• 91 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

TS..Absolutely. Our selling policy is in line with most clubs. Agree that we need to be more proactive in bringing players in.

Yo…CAM priority? Disagree there tbh. I think both Marv and Benny are suited to that role, we need wingers and a ST to get our balance right imo.

• 92 martoon // May 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM

A few of you last night were talking about the picture of #ColosParty last night. Anybody work out who the black guy was looking in from the right hand side of the photo. I thought maybe Tiote but it didn’t really look like him.

• 93 woodsee // May 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Yes man u are a sellin club,normally to us with there rejects

• 94 TorqToon // May 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Morning gents!

Just seen ed’s comment about respecting views etc?!

Did we have fireworks last night or something??

Ps – we signed Rooney yet? I’m sure he will be more than happy to take a £160,000 a week pay drop to fit in with our wage structure!! ;-)

• 95 WWYCD // May 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Ibiza
    If Cabaye goes a CAM to replace him for me, Marv is constantly injured and is only good when he fancies it and HBA could do a bit in the centre but he loses the ball too much for me and ignores a lot of passes he has the mind set of a striker rather than a creator imo

If Cabaye is off our core creativity disappears imo

• 96 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Torq…Yesterday afternoon, got a little silly, rather unusual for here :)

As for Rooney, almost sorted mate, as always though, not 100% ;)

• 97 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Yo….Fair enough. I still disagree (respectfully, of course) :).

I suppose the biggest thing if Cabaye goes, who will be your new bad boy in black and white?

• 98 NUFCarter // May 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM

If anyone thinks our away kit is bad take a look at liverpools away kit…….

• 99 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Carter…That’s awful. Looks like something you’d pull out of a recycling bin – quite fitting.

• 100 davis_toons // May 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM

In-case anyone didn’t read the report.

Nowadays a striker in name only, Shola functions best as a holder of the ball upfield in a match where Newcastle have the lead, but Pardew brings him on regardless of the score.

It always seems that Pardew is much more concerned with preserving the score than improving it, and that has to change.

Seemingly every game, Yoan Gouffran is removed an hour in, usually for Shola. Assuming Pardew has a reason to substitute Gouffran at that time every match, why not send in someone who has a genuine chance of scoring? What would be wrong with adding someone who has pace, ball-handling prowess and a desire to prove himself in front of his hometown fans?

Adam Campbell, the 18-year-old Geordie native, deserves much more time on the pitch.

In case you weren’t keeping track, Campbell has played in two Premier League matches, both as a late substitution. In both matches, Newcastle scored in stoppage time to win. Not a bad start to a career.

If a substitution up top is to be made, Adam Campbell should undoubtedly be the replacement.

• 101 WWYCD // May 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Ibiza
    No worries mate cant agree all the time (does this now mean we have to slag each other off and throw around insults?)

If he leaves I might just pack in mate haha name retirement

• 102 Lilongwe Geordie // May 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Woodsee,
    Anita received 3 MOM’s in a row, and then was dropped. He is adjusting to a new culture and league, and to do that needs games. By you logic there, last season Routledge was just as good as HBA, as both had only had a few good games for the club. Anita is still a Dutch international, 1 poor season doesn’t alter that, just like Guthries handful of decent appearances don’t change the fact he is an average player.

As for the selling issue, Man U sold Ronaldo for Cash, (Carroll), Stam as he caused issues with his book (Barton), Van Nistelrroy as he was aging and wanted a long contract (Nolan), Pogba left as he wanted out (Enrique). All of that makes them just as much of a selling club when compared to our notable departures since promotion.

• 103 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yo…I think that’s the way it goes, but it wouldn’t feel right, so I’m for breaking blog etiquette this time around.

We can’t have the name retired, they’ll just have to keep Cabaye here forever.

• 104 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Ibiza
    As for Tiote and Cabaye, I said exactly the same yesterday, if we stop hounding Tiote and we get the real Tiote back Cabaye will be a better player for it, further more, there is a piece in this mornings Journal from Debuchy, who states that Cabaye had warned him how vigorous the Prem is, but he admits that he got caught out with the physicality of the Prem, he then says that the experience that he and the other January signings have now gained will stand them in good stead for next season, so as fans we should take this on board and give the players and the manager an opportunity to prepare correctly for next season, another failure and then yes, put Pardew’s head on the chopping block, but to expect five to come from France and have an immediate impact is absurd, next season is where we should judge Pardew.

• 105 JAMSHA // May 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Get French Football
    @ GFN_France
    22m
    Carlo Ancelotti: ‘Sakho, Verratti and
    Menez are untransferable.’ #PSG

• 106 WWYCD // May 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Ibiza
    Ah go on then we will not conform to the blog norm

Haha well I wouldnt be against Cabaye staying until he retires then takes up a coaching role then managerial post and so on until he owns the club

• 107 stuart no9 // May 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM

one has got to ask the question – if every thing is ok in the dressing room , and things are as pardew reckons ‘ ok with players and they are all together , why is it then , that the season hasnt finished yet and cabaye ia already on the plane back to france , or wherever he will end up ? not the actions of a man having a ball – or relishing the thought of another year playing nonsense football under pardew. I Thought players came to england to enhance their international career ? maybe they do ! but this is newcastle we are talking about here.! also – has the 5 year plan officially been scrapped ? or have they started another one ??? 7 years would be a good plan ! that would bring pardew up to retiring age , and make ashley mega bucks for his daughters inheritance.!

• 108 Greebol1892 // May 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Lilongwe
    I agree with your comment but I would still like to clarify that what I meant by “cashing in” is that I think MA would/should only accept offers over 20m – regardless of whether Cabaye wants to go or not. 20m+ should get us 3 quality players. Definitely don’t let him go for <20m.

• 109 Cisse's Big Toe // May 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

if ashley and sports direct have any sense they will be making #colosparty tshirts. they would sell by the bucket load, top trend worldwide last night

• 110 nufc 11 // May 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Our board had to know lst summer that if we diidnt make a move to shift us on to another level they would have there best players wanting out a player of Cabaye’s ability shouldnt be in a relegation scarp its almost an insult….what did our board do they bought Anita a bench warmer after the season we had to baulk the team up, Jan spending was a little to late although AP shud of being able to turn it around with the players he had and didnt ive lost the faith anyway.

• 111 JP...from The Rock // May 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I may get hammered for this but I honestly believe he is easily replaceable. He was great in his first season but this season when we’ve expected the same and depended on him he has let us down. As has Tiote. Both have seriously underperformed this season. Tiote even more. Cabaye has scored some beautiful free-kicks and it’s something we’ve been missing ever since we had Raylor injured. With Cabaye we are more of a threat on set-pieces but that is basically it.

He offers very little during play and that is my main concern. When he signed I remember him saying that if he did not make at least 100 key passes in a game he would be displeased with his performance. Well sorry to break it to you Yohan but your passing is no better than Perch’s!

If we get 25M or more we should take it easily. I don’t see Cabaye improving much. What you see is what you get and it’s okay but not as great as some make him out to be.

Cabaye is not a play maker. He is more defensive. He is a proper CM but not a CAM.

Marveaux is more of an CAM than Cabaye is, you see my point?

Cabaye hasn’t got the dribbling and skill to be a CAM in our team but he has got the vision though. He can see a pass but you need more than that to become a true CAM.

Therefore for that sole reason I understand Pardew playing Sissoko in this CAM role but it’s not working great either because Sissoko is a box to box midfielder, a powerhouse that won’t stop bombing up and down the field with his pace and power breaking up play and starting attacks.

I’d be glad to see Cabaye stay but I can’t help but see an air of arrogance about him. He needs to get down to earth and play like did when he first arrived as does Tiote.

Both seem to think they’ve made it and eased their foot off the gas. The worst of all is that I think that Cabaye sees himself as a CAM and often tries intricate passes that don’t come off and lose us possession.

He should stick to the basics that he does very well and we should sign a proper CAM like Belhanda or Honda or someone of that mold.

What do you guys think???

• 112 JP...from The Rock // May 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Wow that was a loooong post lol sorry for that but I await your replies lads.

• 113 gazzaforever // May 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Hba is a cam , marveaux no. Cabaye can leave, there is much better cm than him

previous post: Bizarre Sports Direct Story – Newcastle After Wayne Rooney