New French Defender – There’s Nothing Broken In The Dressing Room

Mathieu Debuchy has played 13 times for Newcastle since signing on in the new year, and he was the first of five Frenchmen to arrive in January, in an attempt by Mike Ashley to bolster the squad and keep Newcastle in the Premier League.

mathieu debuchy wheres the ball

Mathieu Debuchy

It worked, even though we were dragged right back into the relegation fight after being eliminated by Benfica in the Europa League, and then collected only 5 points in seven games, but the 2-1 win at QPR last Sunday was massive, and enough to save us, and we are now in 13th place in the league.

Debuchy had been heavily pursued by Newcastle last summer but Newcastle couldn’t agree a fee with his club,  and he finally arrived for £5.5M from Lille in January.

Yohan Cabaye had been talking to his best friend about Newcastle for at least six months before Debuchy arrived, and Yohan had said every game in England was hard.

That’s what Mathieu seems to have experienced, as he had this to say to the local; press today:

“Since January, I have discovered many things and I really have no regrets about coming to Newcastle.” “When we arrived, me and the other new signings knew that Newcastle were not in a good situation.”

“Yohan Cabaye explained to me that here, all the matches are tough.” “I’ve realized that quickly. There was the Europa League, which took a lot of energy,”

“So we knew it would be tough to the end. Well, it has been, even though we are not going to hide behind that.” “Physically, it is a big step for the French between the two leagues.” “You have to be prepared. I felt it from my first matches. It is full-on from the beginning.”

“No, there is nothing broken in the dressing room, there is nothing like that,” “Since January, I’ve never read the English Press, so I do not know. “But in France, they must surely talk. They will say ‘Newcastle signed many French players and there are no results’.”

“But now I hope we have a good foundation for next season, with a strong group in place.”

The five Frenchmen were probably wondering what they had got themselves into, after we went into a big slump starting with the 3-0 defeat at home to Sunderland, but the lads pulled out of it, finally, and the new players will be that much better for it when pre-season starts in July.

We play Arsenal on Sunday in the last game of the season, and a win  would see Newcastle very close to the middle of the table, and that’s what we are hoping for – although Arsenal are in really good form at the moment and it’s going to be a tough game.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Spoof

May 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Debuchy admits that he got caught out with the physicality of the Prem, he then says that the experience that he and the other January signings have now gained will stand them in good stead for next season, so as fans we should take this on board and give the players and the manager an opportunity to prepare correctly for next season, another failure and then yes, put Pardew’s head on the chopping block, but to expect five to come from France and have an immediate impact is absurd, next season is where we should judge Pardew.

• Transfer Sage

May 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM

lilongwe

They said they will let all though, providing the people aren’t offensive.

It has had an explanation, Pardew said he thought it would be better if we finished the season and he kept focus on the arsenal game.

I agree, after his tongue in cheek comments about not caring about the arsenal game I think it’s important he shows the fans as well as spurs he is taking the game seriously and a Q&A isn’t the best way.

Can do that next week, hoping for next friday.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Spoof,
    I’m not sure, I can tell you though, after playing on Saturday afternoon, it was much preferable to when we played in January. Still incredibly hot, but much more bearable. A lot of league seasons are going on at the minute, although they run through the hot season and just skip the rainy season. However, if you grow up playing in the heat you are more acclimatised so they may not see it as a major issue.

As for Kouyate, don’t get too downhearted! Remi Streete scored from a corner against Consett last night!

• Ben3arfa

May 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM

The only concern I would have of Debuchy is that he has given away about 3 penalties since signing . Needs to be more careful

• Transfer Sage

May 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM

spoof

that’s fair, i think it does take players time to adapt to the league, same as it does in any league.

Also debuchy looks like he still isn’t full fit from the injury he had, so maybe playing with some pain.

• GeordieDan

May 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM

spoof>

Hope your right mate because I’ve been very unimpressed with both Debuchy’s skill and application so far-not least his blatant giving up against Liverpool-which led to the red card.

Way too early to judge the guy but he was completely bossed by Enrique and Danny Rose and needs to realise isn’t fast enough or strong enough to just knock it past Premiership quality players-yet.

Fingers crossed he now realises just what it takes and gets himself sorted in pre-season.

• Spoof

May 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I don’t like these Q and A sessions, nine times out of ten the reporters will alter the meaning of what is said to create a story which bears no resemblance to what was actually said, Ben Arfa and Cabaye both on PSG, are two good examples of this, and anyone taking Pardew’s 4-0 Arsenal comment seriously need their heads looking at, it was obviously a tongue in cheek comment.

• Transfer Sage

May 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM

geordie dan

Those two games were after he came back from injury, i really don’t think he was fit so he struggled to use his full pace…not saying he would have been quick enough, they are both good fullbacks.

I just feel he will improve next year.

• Indian Magpie

May 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Ben3arfa

you say 3,

I remember 2 (both in our away wins) and niether of them was a penalty.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Sage,
    I was surprised when they scheduled it initially before the season finished. To arrange it for then, not caring there was still a game left, for it to now make a difference seems odd It doesn’t add up for me. As for no holds barred, I don’t believe that, the PR team at SJP will have copies of questions and will have scrubbed some out, and drafted answers. Any questions that are too close to the bone will unfortunately be pushed to the end, and conveniently run out of time for.

As for the African weather, Libya will certainly be cooler, but S.A wasn’t, and nor will Togo have been. I imagine that it is more likely in Jan to avoid the rainy season for most countries at a guess, but even that overlaps and isn’t an exact science. I think it is more likely it is then so it doesn’t clash with other international tournaments.

• TorqToon

May 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I like how many of our players have come out publicly to state that there are no rifts in the squad (as press report) as it should surely quell fears in us fans.

I’m not sure whether some felt the January signings would make an immediate impact, but that was never going to happen. Ligue 1 to prem is a massive step up.

We need to improve our training and rehab at the club (replace and upgrade staff if necessary!) and have a proper pre season.

I think that, coupled with some astute and important signings this summer, will stand us in good stead.

• Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness

May 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM

@spoof I said exactly that a few days ago as people were going off it about the 4-0 and thank God there’s no europa comments.
    he was obviously joking on

• Spoof

May 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

LG
    Remi Streete, against the mighty Consett, cheers, I feel much better now lol
    TS
    Thats often the problem, we expect to much too early, a little bit of patience could serve us well
    Dan
    I hope I’m right, but your description of his is fair, he does need to improve by a proverbial mile, fingers crossed on that one

• Indian Magpie

May 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Copies of What? Its a phone in!

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Indian,
    All the questions will be submitted to Radio Newcastle prior to the phone in. You will have to book your place I imagine. That is the normal routine when managers go on BBC Newcastle.

• HAZZY1

May 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Im stuck do we stick with pards or change I want a good technical manager but will it affect the team if we sack the manager that brought most of them to the club will they c this as destabilising the club again like our history shows and will then not perform and want out just a thought esp Santon, Cabs, Ben-Arfa, Mbiwa these r our future.

• Spoof

May 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Harry
    as you say they are our future, and playing them together would give a manager an opportunity to play some decent football, has Pardew had that opportunity this season, when has he had them available, its easy to say he has some talented players and should have done better, but when your forced to play Willianson, Perch, Sammy and Shola, you don’t then have a talented bunch do you, he did have an opportunity with a similar standard of player last season, so who can be certain that he can’t get a similar type of result next season.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I know new signings might not change everything, but as with a new manager there is new energy and belief.

TS did a analysis that showed how many points we had gained up until the January signings and i would like see to see that holded up against after the January signings?

I believe we have been worse for wear even with the new influx of players which shows that whatever was or is wrong goes alot deeper than injuries and lack of signings (which I have been trying to explain for a long long time)

• Indian Magpie

May 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I think our wins against

Southampton, Villa and chelsea were all down to our new arrivals

So were the defeats to

Liverpool and sunderland

• HAZZY1

May 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Spoof he has always said he never had his best 11 available maybe 4 games he did but what makes me think he can do good job if backed and able to build his own team is the players he has brought in and the way we play in most of the first 45. Last season we played better in the last 45 most of the games maybe next yr we will play good the whole 90 now he has his book from last yr and this yr lol.

• Transfer Sage

May 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

lilongwe

Yeh but even still you could ring up and say I want to speak about how he has done well injuries then just ask something else when you get live on air…so Pardew would have to answer it or look like a fool if they just cut it.

Also the Newcastle ex player who is on the show most nights, john anderson, has been critical but quite fair with Pardew. So I think he will want to see some decent questions answered.

They do keep say ring up during the show on friday to speak, so doesn’t seem like they will have a list of callers before and questions won’t be sent to the club.

• Scottiedog

May 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Although I agree that nothing is “Broken”, there is something missing and I personally think that was the desire to come back and win ie: when we came back against Arsenal. We need a Nolan and a Barton to come back and want to fight and not just our current crop of players that just roll over!! Cabaye, as good as he is, should never be put as Captain again and I would not be too worried if we sold him and bought in Scott Sinclair and Tom Ince.
    Just my opinions

• Transfer Sage

May 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

jesper

I posted just before the QPR game..it showed it you took the points average from january (villa game onwards when new players arrived) and if you took it over a whole season we would be better off than we currently are, we’d get 49 points.

I think that you are right though..it’s more than injuries. They have some impact of course but they are not the main factor we have been this poor in my opinion. It’s a point John Anderson alluded to last night on total sport, he said that injuries don’t help but if Pardew blames only injuries and nothing else then nothing will change next season.

• marc

May 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

think he just confirmed what i said the other day

repost
    @Ruddy Marveaux-lous

i understand what your saying and agree they are good players but the standerd of football does matter just one example Debuchy is good at getting forward yes but every time i watch him try to run round a full back his pushed off the ball way to easy look at danny rose small guy but had debuchy in his back pocket all game this is because he is not strong enough for our league yet so standered does matter aswel

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Mauricio Pochettino has threatened to quit Saint!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

*Saints

• Spoof

May 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

HAZZY @21
    Lets hope and prey that its not the other way around, if it is we are in deep trouble, I’ve just frightened myself with the thought of it, its really scary

• stuart no9

May 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

one has got to ask the question – if every thing is ok in the dressing room , and things are as pardew reckons ‘ ok with players and they are all together , why is it then , that the season hasnt finished yet and cabaye ia already on the plane back to france , or wherever he will end up ? not the actions of a man having a ball – or relishing the thought of another year playing nonsense football under pardew. I Thought players came to england to enhance their international career ? maybe they do ! but this is newcastle we are talking about here.! also – has the 5 year plan officially been scrapped ? or have they started another one ??? 7 years would be a good plan ! that would bring pardew up to retiring age , and make ashley mega bucks for his daughters inheritance.!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

TS…thank you for the reply (I missed your post before the QPR game; haven’t be active so much lately due to many things)!

I wouldn’t say I am glad that this is the case – as I feared, but never the less if Pardew wants to change things for the better he need to acknowledge what the problem is or are 🙂

I don’t necessarily think things will change that much because the problems we are facing were there as well last season (you just don’t focus on them so much then you are doing great in the league table)

• Rotonda heights

May 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

We’ll wreck Arsenal’s Champions League dream, warns Pardew

Can’t this tool ever stop!! I think I almost preferred it when he said he didn’t mind losing 4-0. Which is it Pardew? because I really can’t believe a word he says.

• Indian Magpie

May 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Rotonda heights

He is just trying to right the wrongs

• Spoof

May 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

stuart
    I wasn’t aware that Cabaye was out of the country, and certainly there has been no mention of any problems concerning him, even if he is out it could be family reasons or a whole host of different reasons, it’s possible that perhaps you are making a little bit too much of this, as Like I said, there doesn’t seem to be any problems with him

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

To quote Meat Loaf (I don’t know why I am doing that 😉 ) lol

…but Pardew “you said it better when you said nothing at all”!!!

• LooneyToon41

May 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Firstly Debuchy. France v England in the Euros… imo opinion Debuchy was the best player on the pitch, and thats at International level.
    On the Jan signings, and our ‘results’ since. We’d all new signings to have an immediate impact, but for those who are too young to remember – Arsenal legends like Henry,Bergkamp,Pires and Overmars ALL had terrible first seasons.
    My point is : Form is temporary, Class is permanent.

• LooneyToon41

May 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Jesper…. Meat Loaf? Thats a Ronan Keating cover of a Country song by er…. Kevin or Keith Whitely back in the 80’s…. maybe someone can correct me on that!

• JTOONJ

May 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

cabayes last interview looks like he is refusing to rule out leaving..

• HAZZY1

May 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I just get the feeling no matter what gets said pards will be in charge next season im hoping we get more chelsea results after a good pre-season and time to gell as a team and with new signings as well I say lets forget last season and get behind the team if we do change manager then so be it.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The rumors about Cabaye is that Man Utd have bit in the region of £18M for him!

• Transfer Sage

May 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

jesper

I think most put our problems down to a mix of things…the difference is the % blame people attribute to each problem.

some see injuries as the main issue, others the manager and tactics, others the lack of signings…people just view it differently.

I think the manager and tactics are mainly to blame and then think the other two are secondary to that. I think Pardew’s problem is he has one way of playing which works…a better manager I feel would have coped with all the problems better and found a different way to play, even if it was just to grind out a few draws or narrow wins when we were missing the better players like cabaye and ben arfa.

1 2 3 5