Newcastle May Bring In Just Two Players This Summer

If Newcastle can keep all the players they want to keep this summer, then maybe all Newcastle need to do this summer is to bring in two top strikers.

papiss cisse metalist

Papiss Cisse – wanted by top German club?

But it may be difficult for Newcastle to hang onto their top men – and there’s already news that Yohan Cabaye is in demand, and Papiss Cisse is wanted by Borussia Dortmund, to replace Robert Lewandowski, who is almost certain to leave this summer.

Newcastle also have some work to do if they are to persuade skipper Fabricio Coloccini to stay at Newcastle, because of his personal problems, and we expect him to want to return to Argentina again this summer, as he did in January.

And it’s clear he’s a huge player for Newcastle and he’s been massive in the last two games, since his return from that back injury, and Newcastle have picked up 4 precious points with a good point at West Ham and a win at QPR.

It’s also likely that clubs will be in for the mercurial French winger Hatem Ben Arfa, but if Mike Ashley uses the strategy he used last summer, and only sell if some really big money comes in for the Newcastle stars – we should be OK.

And in that case we probably only need two strikers – but we should also be seeing a lot of younger players coming in to bolster the Development squad.

Players like Harper and Simpson, whose contracts are up and Obertan and Dan Gosling, who don’t seem to be good enough for Newcastle, will be leaving the club.

And a good question will be – who will the two strikers be?

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• HAZZY1

May 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Spoof: that’s why i’m just cheering on the Team not the manager cause he is here for as long as MA decides nothing we can do.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Ed…Glad there were no quotes in this article 🙂

2 players? Personally think we need as an absolute minimum before any players leave, a winger and a striker and that really is the minimum.

• Rainrix

May 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Wiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggerrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

• check the toastie

May 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM

2 new players and a new manager is all we need. Mostly a new manager to be fair. 🙂

• Le Belfast 007

May 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM

+ 2 wide players !!

• Le Belfast 007

May 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM

And throw in Benitez aswell cheers….

• discrepancia

May 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM

please just don’t start with the summer saga …
    we haven’t yet overcome manager’s saga.. it will get hard

• check the toastie

May 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Dan Goslings not good enough for hartlepool Reserves, got a run out at West Ham mind you. ‘Shakes head with amazement’.

• fatash

May 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Yeah thats probably about it after all we have no Euro games to worry about and will probably only play one round in each of the domestic cups, so why would we need anymore?

• Spreadthetoon

May 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Agreed Ibiuza. We need a replacement for Jonas who is ailing, and a partner for Cisse. Ideally we would sign:-

Jermaine Lens
    PEA
    Mertens

With no players leaving and I would think job done. Any quality leaving will need to be replaced like for like. And lastly fringe players leaving need to be replaced by very good quality young players who are more than capable of playing in the Championship and could do a job in the PL if required in cases of injury.

• Transfer Sage

May 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I think we genuinely need a striker, winger/wide man and a CB if/when colo goes.

Other than that we are ok. Would ideally like another striker and winger on top of that but we aren’t far from a good squad.

decent keepers

decent defence

plenty in the centre of midfield, good variety

just need wide men and more options up top.

• Spreadthetoon

May 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Ibuiza should read Ibiza! LOL

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

When is the Arsenal game this Saturday?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

2 players? Having a laugh, we need 2 players, as Ibiza said, as an absolute minimum.

We need another striker, we need a left winger, we need a right winger, and then replacements for any players that are sold, released etc.

We’ll need another CB when Colo leaves, we’ll need another GK when Harps leaves (unless Alnwick is ready to step into No 3 GK) and we need another RB to be back up to Debuchy when Simmo leaves.

I know people may say Tav is ready to be back up RB, but I am not convinced. And if Willo is sold then I think we need another backup CB as I am not exactly convinced whether the likes of Good, Streete or even Perch are solid enough to be regular backups if any of our starters get injured.

There are systemic flaws in the make up of our squad, this needs to be addressed in the summer.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

God I hope they bring in more than two players this summer!

…I swear to God I cannot take another season of moaning from fellow fans that we are in dire straits because of lack of transfer activity or listen to Pardew complaining about injuries! 😉

But I have been told the new complain will be lack of English players 🙂 lol

• Rainrix

May 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Ibiza….. I didnt realise you were so big on direct correlation, i must take note! 🙂

Throw away comment? This is why im so confused, i cant tell whats throw away and what isn’t! Blah im jumping back on the fence. Pardew needs to stay! Pardews so smart he can teach string theory to jordan. 😉

• John Tudor

May 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

they say 2 a few go non will come in guarenteed

• Hatem's better than Messi

May 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Not sure where this article has come from Ed?

We wanted two CB’s in an article a little earlier.
    Then we are having a massive clear out as well …

Cabaye’s going to Manure or PSG.
    HBA PSG or bindippers.

Now were only signing two players … you couldn’t make it up … or could you?

• Indian Magpie

May 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

i will settle for no players in if we get a good manager

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

John Tudor

With all the talk from Llambias months ago admitting that they had let the manager down last summer it would seem the likely conclusion to take from that is that they are going to keep Pardew in his job but to give him better backing in the transfer market.

It’s a nailed on certainty that we will be signing players this summer.

• Novocastrian66

May 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Jimmy from previous thread. In fairness Newcastle were excellent at Old Trafford on Boxing Day and probably deserved to win.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Easy now, can’t have too many people agreeing with me 🙂

Spread…I don’t mind what you call me, as long as you call me. If those 3 singed I may die from excitement.

Jesper…Aren’t all the games on Sunday?

Ruddy…I am changing my stance on Willo a bit. If he’s happy to stick around, I’d rather keep him as a back up for a while longer. He’s not glamorous, but can put in a shift.

• Le Belfast 007

May 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Lampard signs a new contract. Chelsea finally see sense..

• nufc 11

May 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

the only reason we dint have players wanting to leave was they thought we were going to knock on an challenge top4 they werent expeccting a battle to stay in the league id say they are queing up to move on it was a real opp missed to built something special and move up a level truth is AP isnt the man to do that tho we will all have to wait and see…

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ibiza…and here I thought I was updated for ones 😉

• The Guru Munro

May 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Hi guys,

First time reader, long time poster.

I think we need more than 2 additions.

We need 3, perhaps 4, minimum in the first team and a few youngsters too.

I think some of the u21’s won’t make the grade and anyone saying they’ll have improved with another years experience is joking themselves.

Some aren’t good enough and if we are spoon fed the same thing as last summer in that we have these young players that will make a difference I will feel short changed.

Abied, Campbell, Inman, Vuckic, Good and Streete might make it but need a full season out on loan. Fergie, Sammy Ameobi, Dummet and Newton won’t cut it for me.

How does everyone else feel about being offered the same excuses for not investing as we had last season.

Yes there are no direct quotes, but I get the feeling it’s where we are heading.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Rainrix…Well now you know 😉

Ha, joining me again just so you don’t worry about when I’m being sarcastic and when I’m not – you’re far too easily swayed!

Novo (from previous thread)…With regards to a new manager and whether we could attract better.

As a club etc, of course we could. I think it may be a question of what Ashleys real plans and ambitions are. I imagine Swansea have a clear blue print of what they’re trying to achieve which would appeal to many managers, not sure we have the same with Ashley.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Ibiza

Willo doesn’t look too bad in the context of Saylor’s recent dreadful performances, but he is still not good enough to step into a 10 game stint as a starter if Saylor or (god forbid) M’biwa got injured next season.

I’m discounting Colo as I am nearly certain he is away when the window opens. Shame as he’s been my favourite CB since Woodgate, who was my favourite since that looper Dabizas haha

But as a rotation option he wouldn’t be too bad, purely because I think the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t and I think the likes of Good and Streete need loan experience before realistically being seen as genuine first team options.

• Markaccus

May 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I would say we need cb now. 2 if colo goes. A rb to replace simmo. 2 forwards, one of which plays wide. So 4 to 5 players.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

It would seem the general consensus is that we need 4 players as an absolute minimum.

In practical terms we did sign that number of players last summer i.e Good, Amalfitano, Bigi, Anita although only Bigi and Anita were any way close to the first team.

So in real terms we need at least 4 players who can genuinely contribute to the first team, not being palmed off with “players” who are just signed to make up the numbers.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Belfast…I can’t believe they waited this long tbh. Madness.

Jesper…You may well be 🙂

Guru…I am slightly wary about what our plans will be for this summer. I get the feeling Ashley will take a view that with no EL, we wont be too far off what we need. Based on last season, he wouldn’t be too far from the truth. Still, there are some glaring holes within the squad which have to be dealt with. I don’t think it will take that much.

• John Tudor

May 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

to put it simply ask your dad about …..and the band played “believe it if you like”i for one will believe it when i see it

• The Guru Munro

May 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I think if Mike was ever going to invest a high amount of money it would be this Summer.

What with the TV money, disappointing season and poor coverage his team has received.

I would like to think he’d invest a nice amount on some really good players but I doubt that he will.

This summer should once and for all sho? us the intentions of our owner, if he doesn’t deliver is it time to force him out once and for all?

• John Tudor

May 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

hey they say alot of things then backtrack

• donkey

May 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

bony carrol pea dries mertin any 2 of them 4 and were good to go next season aslong as we can keep colo

• The Guru Munro

May 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

“Hi Guru Munro, welcome to the blog, nice to meet you”

Bunch of cocks

• The Guru Munro

May 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Erm…I mean…Bunch of idiots…yeah idiots.

Wow that was close

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Ruddy…If Colo goes then we need an actual Colo replacement for sure.

On Willo, it’s more a case of missing players like Best that make me think we may be wise to hold on for a little longer.

Woodgate was class, but a complete moron. I suppose footballers aren’t generally known for being all that smart though.

• Dannyo

May 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Don’t need more than two players next season. One RW and one Striker. We’re playing a normal season, no need for a CL sized squad.
    Plenty of youngsters a year further along. I expect big things next year.
    Replacements for those who leave is a must ofc.

• mattnufc

May 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

All I want for Christmas is a new manager.