The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

There’s No Doubting The Commitment Of The Newcastle Captain

1:37 pm, Thursday, May 16th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 147 Comments

Fabricio Coloccini has played two outstanding games for Newcastle since he returned from that back injury, and we’ve picked up 4 points and secured our Premier League safety.

fabricio coloccini training

Fabricio Coloccini – massive player for Newcastle

Alan Pardew appointed the Argentine as Newcastle captain last summer, and he’s looked a good choice, although he missed far too many games for us this season – which is one reason Newcastle have struggled so much.

Alan Pardew talked about Fab yesterday:

“We’ve missed him.” “I don’t know what our record is like when he doesn’t play, but he makes such a big difference to us. He had accusations thrown at him from certain websites that he wasn’t bothered.” “You can’t say something like that about someone like him.”

“Did you see him when Hatem Ben Arfa gave the ball away in the second half at QPR – he went absolutely ballistic.” “It meant so much to him, and it’s great to see that from your captain.”

“He was magnificent on Sunday, as was Mike Williamson, who had to come in at the 11th hour because Steven Taylor was suffering sickness and vomiting.”

We don’t know what the situation is right now with Coloccini’s domestic problem.

But when Pardew meets with Ashley and Llambias after Sunday’s final game against Arsenal, he should make it a priority to try to have Fabricio serve the remaining three years of his contract – that would be a big coup for the club if  we  can now do that.

For the record Coloccini has played 183 times for Newcastle with 5 goals.

Mike Williamson on Sunday showed he can still ado a good job for Newcastle and we wonder what will happen to him this summer, whether he will be sold or stay to fight for a place in the Newcastle defense.

His height, he’s 6’4″ gives us some cover when we are playing against tall strikers who are decent in the air, and that;s one reason Pardew used him in the second leg against Benfica, to combat Oscar Cordozo – who didn’t actually start that game.

And Chelsea won their second European trophy in two years by beating Benfica 2-1 last night,with a last gasp header from Branislav Ivanovic, who obviously showed no ill effects from being bitten by Luis Suarez.

It was a really close game and a good one to watch.

Comments welocme.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Fabricio Coloccini · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News

147 responses so far ↓

• 1 The Guru Munro // May 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I agree we’ve missed him but we were hardly moving mountains with him in the team before his injury.

Pardew deflecting attention from himself to the captain and finding another accurate yet over hyped reason as to why we played terribly.

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Guru…Hardly Pardew saying that’s why we have suffered. Just that it’s good to have him back and that the criticism that came his way was over the top.

• 3 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Guru. That is Keeganesque….. i am slightly aroused. Id say it looks more of a 3511 though… because i am pedantic.

Ruddy. Sorry i am wasting your coffee :D

• 4 The Guru Munro // May 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Also Alan Pardew you said:

Surely as the manager you should be doing the same.

I’ve seen more life in a mummified corpse than Pardew on the sidelines (exception being when we are winning). Everything goes into the notepad.

There is no point saying after the match, Benny you gave away the ball too easily. Get on him straight away and get animated Pardew, that’s what we like to see.

Put down the pad and start being a manager and stop being an administrator.

• 5 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Or guru you’re reading too much into it and we have missed Colo. You really think we would have shipped 6 against Liverpool with Colo there?
    I also find we are more attacking with him in the team, more confidence in a defence led by Colo?

• 6 JP...from The Rock // May 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM

repost from another thread:

Spreadthetoon – No rant at all I like to hear different views on the matter mate

I agree with you that Cabaye is good at what he does and yes perhaps injuries have played a part in his poor performances this season, I hope so.

No doubt we need him and that he’s critical to our team-at the moment. But hearing his comments the other day might mean his heart is not 100% with NUFC anymore…who knows? What I am saying is that if he were to go for say 25M I imagine he won’t be that hard to replace. We got him for under 5M, imagine what we could get for 25M? See my point.

He is a critical player for us now because we have no one else like him in our team, but with the money we could get from him we could get at least 3 like him or even better than him.

What I would hate to see happen is for Cabaye to keep under-performing because he might be thinking that he’s made it in the EPL and see his value plummet much like Tiote.

I also know that Cabaye’s game is more about passing but what I was trying to say is that part of his game has not been very noticeable this season. His free-kicks however are amazing and his technique is top-drawer there.

We need more pace, dribblers, a couple more Cabayes (players with grit and an eye for a pass), a couple of Strikers at least another CB and we might be sorted for the summer

• 7 JP...from The Rock // May 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM

damn Ed are you quick on these articles! LOL

• 8 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Guru. Pardew seems to have gone all shy since he chinned the assistant ref v spuds.

• 9 Dondatta13 // May 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Repost:

I hear the Pardew phone in has been cancelled? Has he bottled it? or does he know he wont be in charge next season?

• 10 The Guru Munro // May 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Ibiza

I’m just getting back into the swing of Inge and trying to upset people. That’s all, I know Pardew has done nothing wrong but who would I be if I didn’t try to insinuate he was the anti Christ.

• 11 Sazzer // May 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Guru…Inge?

• 13 The Guru Munro // May 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Markaccus

True.

The same could be said with Tiote and his sending off after the mackems.

• 14 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Dondatta… its postponed until after the ars game. Probably the right thing to do, to be fair.

• 15 The Guru Munro // May 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Ibiza

I type to fast and the autocorrect changes it into things I don’t recognise.

I like it though, it’s my calling card.

The guy who thinks he’s clever but can’t even spell.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Guru… :)

• 17 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM

What a load of rubbish, we have played against a West Ham side who were already on holiday and a QPR side who are just simply awful, then all of a sudden it’s a case of we’ve missed Colo, what a load of crap, he is an awful defender and the quicker he goes the better.

• 18 Dondatta13 // May 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Markaccus@14… Ah right, yes it would make sense to have it after the final ball has been kicked.

• 19 The Guru Munro // May 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Spoof

That’s on another level,

Awesome.

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Spoof…Don’t rate Colo then?

• 21 JP...from The Rock // May 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

To me Colo let the club, the manager and us fans down when halfway through the season he tries to force a move back to Argentina. That was a right kick in the balls and more or less left us to die. Then he got suspiciously injured and came back to save us just in time.

Colo is massive for this club, our club captain and should at least held on till the end of the season to try a move back home.

He is indispensable to us though as he showed what a huge difference his presence and organisation did for the team when he came back from injury.

If he is to leave we would have to get Sakho or someone similar to fill in that huge gap in the team.

• 22 Big Pappa Cissé // May 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM

4-2-3-1 could work in this formation but I doubt Pardew has the balls to play it.

——–Sissoko——–Anita————-

——HBA——Cabaye—-Marv——

———————Cisse——————–

Those 3 behind Cisse are bound to create chances and score a few themselves.

• 23 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Ibiza
    whatever gave you that idea lol

• 24 aidytoon9 // May 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Hope colo does stay but his head needs to be right. The ball is in our court as he is still under contract and think argy team wont cough up the fee.
    Would play mapou alongside him as feel that taylor just isnt good enough on a regular basis.

• 25 Spreadthetoon // May 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM

JP

No worries.

Btw not related to this post but forgot to mention flank options:-
    PEA, HBA, GOUFFRAN, Jermaine Lens

Then
    Siem de Yong – CAM

Then
    Cabaye & Sissoko

I think Cabaye would be a much more potent and better plyr with Sissoko playing alongside him. I think Sissoko is best utilised coming from deep…..as is Cabaye. So the missing link between them and Cisse is Siem de Yong (1 plyr) then Jermain Lens (2) and PEA (3) as additional attacking options on the flanks could spiral us to where our aspirations lie. Hope that makes sense.

As for getting £25m for Cabaye I do not think that that would enable us to get similar quality. We are very fortunate to have found Cabaye and that he has decided to play for us is a real privilege. I have not heard what he has said…..but I find it unlikely that he would leave, especially seeing as also one of his best mates has just joined the team…i.e. Mattieu…..I think the future is bright….just not convinced by AP. He needs to change his approach, accept responsibility and act with a lot more humility.

• 26 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

@Bpc pretty much what I posted yesterday. It was roundly ignored lol

• 27 JP...from The Rock // May 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Spoof – what you smoking son? :) Colo is massive to us whether you like it or not. He made a huge difference when he came back and calmed the back four and marshalled them all match. If he goes we will miss him badly.

• 28 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM

If I won the Euro millions lottery I would pay up Colo’s contract for him and bye him a one way ticket to Buenos Aires, whilst wishing him all the best of course, we have to be civil don’t we ?

• 29 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Spoof…I don’t like to blow my own horn, but I have a canny knack of being able to read between the lines :)

Is it the way he’s acted this year in trying to get a move or him as a player you don’t like?

• 30 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Did PPB just say something?

• 31 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

JP
    I’m smoking the Guru’s blues ? whatever they are, but they’re bloody good.

• 32 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ibiza
    its both, but how did you know, are you some sort of mind reader, I’m in shock, you are just amazing lol

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Big Pappa…I like that. I also wouldn’t mind it in a 3-2-1 with

Cabaye–Sissoko–Anita
    —-Benny——-Marv—-
    ———–Cisse———–

• 34 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Spoof from previous thread

Well I don’t see Santon as a typical LB, although nor do I see him as winger, he’s a bit of an enigma as he doesn’t seem good enough at either position to nail it down. He isn’t solid enough defensively to be our LB long term, nor is he incisive enough to be a winger.

I agree that he is more attack minded but he seems more of an attacking wing back, and due to the fact that we don’t use wing backs then how do we use him?

He’s regressed on his defensive game big time this season, perhaps he never really had a defensive game and it is the midfield who aren’t covering his runs like they did last year but I’ve yet to be convinced about Santon.

• 35 chris_g // May 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

The Guru Munro // May 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM wrote:

I’ve seen more life in a mummified corpse than Pardew on the sidelines…

No change there then!

In 2008 eva4charlton wrote:

Since we were relegated, he has stopped showing much emotion, just stands in the box outside the dug out with arms folded. We don’t need our manager to stand there in total disbelief, we need him to be shouting at the players, sorting out new strategies, thinking of useful substitutions, generally showing some passion…

• 36 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Ibiza
    I’m the same m8, I always prefer others to blow my horn as well.

• 37 beefman13 // May 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Rafa for the Toon, it could happen on monday! I will believe it when u see it of course but thw rumour mill is cranking up big style, pardews talk in 2moro night cancelled as we all know, they reckon hes going to get the peddler.

• 38 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Spoof…Oh stop it, you’re making me blush.

Do you really think he’s that bad? I think he lacks pace and is somewhat lacking in captaining skills for me (but then again, most of our players lack there), but I do think he brings a calm head to our back line and generally his positioning is decent.

Granted there are better defenders in the world, but he’s surely not so bad you’d pay out his contract?

Actually, don’t answer that, I already know ;)

• 39 Ian Toon // May 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Spoof- he has had a poor season overall but played extremely well in his comeback games. I saw him at Fulham in December and he was to blame for both Fulham’s goals. We had played our best attacking football of the season only for poor defending to cost us the game.
    I favour thanking him for his services and a clean break. A good pre season with a new squad and off we go again.

• 40 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Alright there beefy, how’s tricks?

• 41 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

As for Colo, I’d get down on bended knee to beg him to stay, he is a top drawer defender, so calm and collected, the back 4 is a different specimen with him involved.

• 42 JP...from The Rock // May 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Spreadthetoon – I would love to see those players come in; PEA, Lens and Siem De Jong.

I agree we get those and we could reach the dizzy heights but is Pardew the man to take us there? This season has made me doubt him and his methods.

He is too defensive and is insistence in Gutierrez, Tiote and Shola are infuriating.

Too many times this season baffled me with his line-ups and substitutions. What is worse is his inability to change a game in our favour in the second half. Instead of going for a win he would play defensive. This has to be down to him and not the players.

I honestly think Pardew lacked the courage to attack the teams in the second half and played it safe. Be that to him knowing how close we were from the drop or to him being clueless as to how we can change the game in our favour…I don’t know.

What I do know however is that this team lacks pace and invention and good crossers of the ball. We can’t keep playing winger that can’t cross…errm Gutierrez please stand up!

We also need that link up man to attack you mention and Siem De Jong would be good, real good perhaps.

• 43 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Ruddy
    We haven’t really had the chance to see Santon as a winger, as you say he cannot defend, so giving him a chance as a winger could do no harm, we have nothing to lose, I do feel he could have a good career as a winger, but will he get the chance, Pardew does seem to prefer his wingers to be secondary fullbacks, so to turn a fullback into a winger seems unlikely, but you never know.

• 44 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Chris_g… i was rambling on the other day about pardew having demons due to relegation struggles. He certainly has seemed to go into his shell and panic. However, this is the first time.he has survived a dogfight so maybe those demons have been dispelled. I think the way way play on sunday will be a good pointer as to whether this is true or not.

• 45 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM

@Ibiza. Get bent

• 46 aidytoon9 // May 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Would put my arm around colo and convince him to stay as he is vital to our defence.

• 47 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM

PPB…More that I already am? I’ll give it a go :)

• 48 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Spoof

We’re treading into the territory of “you know what would solve that problem? Sacking Pardew” but we’ve done so well in keeping a lid on that topic today that I’ll not bother :P

It does seem unlikely, and it is a bit unfair to criticise him as a winger when he has never been used there really. I do seriously see Haidara taking his spot at LB, he looked very nervous in a few games and was dreadful in the 6-0 defeat to Liverpool (but so was everyone) but I still think we have a little gem in the way of Haidara so Santon’s days at LB are numbered I feel.

• 49 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ppb…. people dont “get bent”, they are born that way :D

• 50 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ibiza and Ian
    no I don’t think he is that bad, but not much better mind, he is slow, weak in the air and he should be a lot braver, he does like to jump out of the way rather than be hit, but he does seem to keep those around him calm, however when compared to Williamson and Perch he looks like a world beater, as a 3rd choice I would keep him, but that won’t happen so let him go as soon as possible, the longer we drag the situation on the less time we have to find a replacement.

• 51 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

@Ibiza do you wanna be the big spoon or the little spoon?

• 52 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

chris – 35

What a familiar sight… The man is clueless.

Against Liverpool at 5 nil and 6 nil down he was doing the same thing except pushing his hands together as if to say stay tight and putting on the facade that he was in control. He looked totally useless and void of ideas as has been the case week after week.

In a way, I actually felt a bit sorry for him as it was one of those moments where you want the ground to eat you up, and I’ve had a few of those, but then I thought back to the starting line-up that he started the game with.

Gouffran on the bench and started with a super negative team of defensive midfielders, and just thought it serves him right, although that is no good to me, or the thousands who show up to see a positive performance, yet are shown ultra fearful football. Disgusting.

• 53 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

The mammy or the daddy?

• 54 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Spoof..Fair enough and I agree, that if his heart is set on going, there is little point in trying to keep him here. Best to bite the bullet and move on.

• 55 beefman13 // May 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Ibiza, the man for all seasons, how ya doing, the rafa story is full on “apparently” rooney yesterday rafa today, more substance with the rafa story, oh i think colo would make a terrific holding midfielder, he has to much skill for centre half and pace isnt such an issue when your holding.

• 56 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Markaccus, he hasn’t survived relegation, Bosingwa has literally gifted him survival, no other way of looking at it.

• 57 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

PPB…Not sure mate, what would you suggest?

• 58 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Ruddy
    To be honest keeping a lid on Pardew does seem a good idea, “to be honest” dear me, I’m starting to sound like him, GET ME SOME HELP lol

• 59 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I am not looking at it that way. So apparently the is other ways of looking at it…

• 60 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

@lr32 really? Our survival is only due to Bosingwa and that’s that? Cos he gave us all our points clearly

• 61 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

*there

• 62 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM

@Ibiza my opinion doesn’t matter mate

• 63 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Spoof

Well in truth I think we was tired, if I’m honest, of all the talk about Pardew’s future, believe me. Make no mistake we’ve worked hard to keep it tight and to not talk about it and we’ve been rewarded with a pleasant day’s discussion that will hopefully educate the fans on how it is done.

• 64 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

It’s a joke that we have to rely on one of their players to do that to hand us the points. Disgraceful, against an already relegated side.

• 65 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Spoof we’relooking at some help for you but we’re struggling to get it over the line…

• 66 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Beefy…Doing swell, thanks. The rafa story has been floating around a while now, could be some truth in it, but as you say, I’ll believe it when I see it.

As for Colo, seems you’re getting carried away with the idea of Rafa coming and doing the same as he did with Colo’s hair twin Luiz :)

Laurent @56…Do you not think that’s at all unfair?

• 67 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Spoof. You will become a real ‘Fret’ to this blog

• 68 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Made QPR look far better than they actually are.

• 69 Ian Toon // May 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM

He brings the best out of Williamson. Even to the extent that you might contemplate not moving Willo on. I feel that pre season is the time when you can restructure and work on the aspects of the team that have plainly failed. We all recall the disasterous defending before Colo went literally missing. Watching his game it was hard to believe how his game had deteriorated. We can’t afford to go into a new season with his unresolved domestic problems. Yanga looks the business and in many ways is a more complete CB. Quick, good in the air and fast learning the physicality required to be a success in the PL.

• 70 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM

We have what we deserve this season, that’s the whole point of a league…play 38 games and you end up where you deserve to.

We have stayed up due to some decent early season form (compared to the middle bit) and then a boosted set of results after we signed some players.

• 71 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM

PPB…Maybe I could ask Ed to run a poll?

• 72 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Ian…Who would be considering the idea of keeping Willo? Oh wait, that was me… :)

• 73 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Colo will go, i’m sure of it.

We need a very good CB to replace him as none of the others we have seem capable of stepping up and organising the defense.

I’m not sold of mbiwa, taylor is ok but needs a level head next to him and willo is willo…a trier but nothing more.

• 74 Rotonda heights // May 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

spoof

all those other arrogant managers mentioned have something to be arrogant about

• 75 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Laurent….. so goofy was standing still and the ball fell to him after guti accidently blocked bosingwas clearance? There was no pressure or alertness on our part at all?

• 76 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Remember in the Chelsea game when we were chanting to Luiz “you’re just a s**t Colocinni…”

As good as Colo is, I think Luiz is a cracking player, at CDM mind, he’s a dreadful centre half.

• 77 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

@lr32 except we won. And qpr do have somewins this season. You’re being excessively negative and almost to the point of hyperbole

• 78 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM

@markaccus yup precisely what happened

• 79 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Markaccus

Good pressure by Guti and a good finish by Gouffran but let’s be fair, it was a mistake by Bosingwa for both goals.

We struggled to create anything of note in the entire game.

• 80 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM

@markaccus the only way to look at it apparently

• 81 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Rotonda..Do you not think that to have a chance of succeeding you need to have a fair bit of arrogance to start with? With all the judgement and criticism that comes a managers way you’d need to have a huge amount of self belief, whether they should or not is somewhat irrelevant.

• 82 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Ruddy
    At times Haidara has looked a bit out of his depth, however, as with the rest of the lads who came in Janaury, it must have been difficult to settle when you are joining a team in a relegation battle, so if experienced internationals like Debuchy, Sissoko and Mbiwa have struggled then it would be madness to critise the young inexperienced Haidara.
    The first time I saw Haidara in the Europa league he did look good, but that apart, well ?, but we could say that about the entire squad, and not just the new lads, I would be concerned if he was first choice at the start of the season as we don’t yet know his abilities, it would be a risk

• 83 Spreadthetoon // May 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

JP
    I could not agree more. I have felt a great disappointment.

Many have stated that AP is our defensive coach and that training is defensive 4 out of 5……well on those merits alone the man should be fired.

I’ll back AP cos’ he’s our mgr…..but now that we are no longer in season…..I think it’s clear that a real debate is held amongst us fans/supporters.

I want AP to improve his game or leave. I want a shake up of the coaching staff and some of our medical team need to be added to and / or replaced.

One of the worst defensive records in the PL in history and a negative approach towards games. We have the ability to kill games dead….and yet we don’t! That’s down to AP……the man has not got his metal…far too negative for my liking. My fondest memories this season were the 2 matches against Arsenal and Man U where we actually tried to play for a win. We play like that most games we will smash most teams………instead we score and sit back deep and invite opposition ton attack. Agreed that’s not the players fault.

Lastly like Jonas, just think his best days are behind him and that he should be offloaded or accept his position as a defensive midfielder…..for cover only. Not a 1st teamer anymore IMO.

• 84 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

@Ibiza drop him an email and ask

• 85 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I watched highlights of the game. Qpr looked sh1te all the way through. In fact our only problem seemed to be our cutting edge as usual. But if you keep the pressure on you get the breaks and for.once we.did that. I suppose that because it is a positive then pardew will not be allowed any credit at all. He was probably shouting “stop putting pressure on them” and “keep the ball away from bossingwa because he is struggling”

• 86 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Ruddy…What percentage of goals scored comes from a mistake though? Surely is everyone did their jobs no one would score, with the exception of a few bits of brilliance.

Saying we didn’t really deserve to win or stay up is one thing, saying we’re only staying up because of one QPR player is simply ridiculous.

• 87 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Spoof

I think he played in the home game to Fulham and I was very impressed with not only his defensive positioning but his marauding runs down the wing.

He’s only 20 and has yet to get a full pre-season under his belt but I would be less concerned with Haidara at LB than I am with Santon who I think has left us dreadfully exposed time and time again this season.

• 88 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Yes ruddy we had no cutting edge as per usual, but we didnt make qpr look good. And we kept going and forced a win. It surely helps the team and manager to win ugly through persistance

By the way my last comment was directwd at laurent, not you ruddy. Younwere not being hyper negative :D

• 89 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Ruddy
    this is how it should always be’
    Puppet
    Thank you for trying, its much appreciated
    Markaccus
    you’ve lost me
    Rotonda
    sorry m8, but I am not going back to that debate

• 90 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Ibiza

No, of course we didn’t just stay up as a result of Bosingwa’s mistakes, we won that game as a result of his mistakes, and that win ensured safety so to employ a logical fallacy you could state “we ensured safety due to Bosingwa’s mistakes” but it would be off the mark.

There is always an instance of “the defender didn’t close down properly” or “the keeper should do better with that” or “he shouldn’t have lost possession there” with regards any number of goals, to call them all ‘mistakes’ is, in my mind, not accurate.

Bosingwa made very glaring, avoidable errors for both goals. I’m concerned about how badly we failed to create anything though.

• 91 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM

PPB…Would you be happy to proof read my email?

Dear Ed,

Just want to start by saying that I really enjoy your blog, top stuff!

I recently received a request to “get bent” and am having a problem in figuring out the best way to do this. It would seem I need to chose between being the spooner or the spoonee, being a novice I just don’t know where to start and hoped you could put it to the blog masses via a poll?

I think I speak for everyone when i say it’s more important than a poll on whether Pardew should stay or go, so if you could action this a.s.a.p it would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

Ibizatoon (the getting bent enthusiast).

What do you think?

• 92 Rainrix // May 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Sage… Bet your house on colo going. No doubt #colosparty was actually his leaving do.

• 93 Ian Toon // May 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Ibiza- the very thought!! He has flattered to deceive. His game doesn’t seem to be impacted by not regularly playing. What does that tell us. He’s not a moaner and seems to recognise that this is the zenith. Hope for better cover – when you look at the spurs reserve cover their in Englnd squad.

• 94 Puppet Pardew // May 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

(ctd.)

….IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII……………………….

(tbc)

• 95 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Ibiza, to be honest, no. Yes the players tried and yes they’ve managed to scrape by, great, I was celebrating the goals as much as the next guy… but we’re making hard work of an awful side and still, we haven’t created the goal ourselves. If Bosingwa was actually bothered in earning his money he wouldn’t have had the care free attitude all game, thus as we struggled to create chances, we’d have drawn or lost.

It’s painful to see week in week out with the players who could provide so much more if they were coached the right way.

I think it’s unfair that people like me pay hundreds of pounds to turn up at the match, buy merchandise, pay for tickets and travel to away games, to have our prat of a manager blag his way through earning a good wage and have us sitting back and letting a team of the lowest standards in the league attack us and then go on to draw and lose games frequently.

…Only for Pardew to make it seem like he’s done us a big favour by avoiding relegation. He’s moaning about injuries, yet we’ve got a Dutch International who can’t get a game and got a string of consecutive man of the matches over Christmas only to lose his place to Tiote who had very poor form.

The list is endless for me what I can see on that pitch. Lack of one-twos, movement, passing, ball retention. This is all coached and managed on the training pitch. In his time in management he’s never been able to do this and always capitulates in the end.

Tevez and Mascherano not playing (now at Man City and Barca) at West Ham are examples of him being clueless in how to simulate an attacking plan. Harewood instead of Tevez? Where’s Harewood now?

I didn’t want Pardew to come to start with, I was gutted, but backed him as every new manager should be given a chance, but then I see big errors even last year. Those negative tactics which I identified last season have continued and worsened this year, except we don’t have the points.

• 96 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Markaccus

They came at us in the second half, as far as I see it, a better team than QPR would have won, or at least got a draw.

At the risk of sounding very negative I would even dare to say that it was less of a case of us winning the game than it was QPR losing it, but regardless of the manner of victory I was delighted we got it.

• 97 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Where did i lose you, spoof? Was it the ‘fret’ comment? (Thats how pardew says threat, as in ‘ we wasnt a fret ap frant’

• 98 Ian Toon // May 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Mark- it was a nerve wracking last 15 minutes. Generally we were comfortable despite appalling. Ref.

• 99 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Ruddy…Sorry, my real and only point was that Laurent was being completely unfair with his comment.

It may even turn out that our result against QPR wasn’t needed. I can handle people criticising, but this over the top rubbish gets to me, as you may have realised :)

We clearly have lots of work to do as a team, that is not in dispute.

• 100 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@ Ibiza perfect mate

• 101 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM

———–

You’re basing our goal (a very good finish by Gouffran btw) on an error by their care-free player.

Where were the dozen of chances created in the game by coached incisive passing and moving…? Nowhere. The ridiculous shirt pull which got us a penalty… gifted.

If you can’t see that, then ok.

It’s not based on one game, it is consistently week after week. We struggle to create chances from passing and moving, basing our goals tally on individual brilliance. That is what I see almost every week.

• 102 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I know where you’re coming from ruddy. We did get help. But i still think that we actually had a plan for once. Just to keep pressure on them. They did come at us but at the same time they struggled to create much of note the same as us. Like i say i think the way we play sunday will show whether there were demons that are now gone, and win or lose a good performance would give me a bit of hope for next year.

• 103 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Markaccus
    So I’m a fret, oh dear, is that bad ?

• 104 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Larent Robert 32

I couldn’t fault a single thing you’ve just said, not one word of it.

It’s a case of how do we move forward, not as a club, but as a fanbase? Personally I want Pardew to be sacked but I think Ashley won’t sack Pardew, rather he will back him in the transfer market instead and see how he does for the first few months of the season.

Now, it will anger me to see this developing, but the question is, how do I manage to look past this error and still give my support to the team? I won’t blindly support Pardew but I want my team to do well.

Personally I think Pardew, even with new signings, will still fail as a manager, it purely depends on Ashley’s ambitions for the club. If he only wants to attain top ten on a yearly basis then I am afraid Pardew is the perfect man for him

If he wants to push for Europe then Pardew will be sacked sooner rather than later as he is not the man to achieve that.

It’s a waiting game right now.

• 105 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Ian…It was more out of fear of us losing what cover we have, much like I wasn’t sad to see Best go, but there have been cases where he has been missed.

Clearly he can and should be upgraded, but certainly not let go without someone coming in.

Laurent…That I can handle :) I do get a lot of the criticism towards Pardew, even though I do spend a lot of time defending him. I just think the lengths some go to put him down border on pathetic and given the reasonable reasons to feel the way you do, then why bother?

• 106 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Ibiza

We’ve sailed far too close to the wind this season, and even on reflection, some of our wins this season has relied on an epic amount of good fortune.

The last gasp winners at home to West Brom, Stoke and Fulham granted us 6 more points than we’d have otherwise had. (That’s just off the top of the head)

Despite our horrific injuries and thin squad we have still relied on some good fortune and I for one despise having to rely on teams capitulating in front of us, or for us to scrape through.

I’m not going to get into a rant about the manager but this season is as bad as our relegation season. I can understand many fans’ frustrations.

It is a matter of, what next?

• 107 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Lads, the goal came from Jonas who forced a mistake from Boswinga, that is not luck, thats good effective play, not pretty but effective, can we just leave it at that otherwise this will turn into another slanging match, which most of us don’t really want.

• 108 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Just heard more on the whole story the other day about Ashley’s advisors telling him to get rid of Pardew.

The latest is that Pardew has to compile a report on how he wants to take the club forward and his position will be reviewed and will depend on what he has in his report.

• 109 Ian Toon // May 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Ibiza – I just picked up on your Anita: Guthrie post, well shot down.
    Everyone has banged on about tactics for most of the season but requiring more immediate attention is to address the physical preparation of our players. We need to look at the coaching set up and fitness coach.

• 110 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM

No, Laurent, i was asking you if thats what you thought happened. I am admitting we got some good luck in the game and bossingwa was pap. But you are basing our whole survival on that luck. If you want to bring good and bad luck into it, then what aboit the wigan game where they should have been down to ten men and beat us with a hand ball goal? We were good for at least a point that day. All i am trying to say is that by hook or by crook we survived, and it should serve as a boost to team and to pardew, who has not had any luck at all in his relegation battles until now. Im not saying we magnificently dispatched qpr with ease. We still have no attacking threat (or fret :D ). I want to see if we perform better without pressure on sunday. It will be a decent pointer for next year.

• 111 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Markaccus

Whether it’s home or away I still think we should be wiping the floor with teams such as QPR, Reading, Wigan et al of this ilk but we don’t, we struggle, we fight, and usually we either draw or lose.

I don’t disagree that we had a plan, it’s just the plan itself that I disagree with.

• 112 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Spoof

Doesn’t have to be a slanging match, simply 2 different perceptions of the same event, both of which have merit.

• 113 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Spoof…I think we can keep this civil.

Ruddy…Why don’t you just F….whoops :)

We seem to be getting back on to the whole season, which we have beaten to death. Everyone accepts it’s been a disaster. Everyone would accept a better manager than Pardew.

The only differences that I see is that some think we must have a new manager now, some think we can afford to see if the “excuses” of this season can be shown to be justified or not.

The biggest factor, as we all know, is Ashley and only time will tell on that.

This conversation started off the back of Boswinga keeping us up and that is just far too simplistic for me.

What next indeed :)

Incidentally, anyone know where we are in the current form table from the last 6 games? I was surprised.

• 114 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Sage

Interesting if true, surely if Pardew is looking to keep his job, he will have to pile some of the blame of Llambias, Ashley and Charnley for not signing the requisite depth for a EL campaign.

I’m sure Ashley won’t appreciate being slated.

• 115 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 2:57 PM

ruddy

I think the goal at QPR for gouff was our own making, we were the ones who pressured the mistake then took the chance well.

But I do agree we struggle to create enough chances in a game. I posted a link the other day which showed we have the 2nd lowest % shots inside the 6 yard box and the third most % from outside the box…this shows we don’t create many good/clear chances

• 116 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Ian…It didn’t get a response…was it naive to expect one? :)

I’m struggling to identify what the most pressing area to look at is. We’ve been left short in a lot of departments this season, but our inability to last 90 minutes has been terrible, especially considering our game plan a lot of the time is to catch teams in the latter stages of a game. The whole thing needs a re-think.

TS…Interesting. Keep us updated.

• 117 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Totally agree ruddy. Its a ballocks plan. It was probably all we could do to survive. We gave up totally on attacking because we are so bad at it. This is the same reason why wigan went down. They should maybe have become more negative in some of their games, instead of still trying to pass it around and getting held up at the edge of the box. Arsenal took advantage of them on tuesday.

• 118 Mag.no // May 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Thanks for the update Sage.

Now let’s hope Pardew produce a poor report :)

• 119 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Ibiza

I’ve not the energy nor inclination to regurgitate my thoughts of this season, god I can’t think of anything I’d rather not do than that! haha

Perhaps you’re right, I for one think a clean break is required, especially if Benitez is willing to take charge this summer (big if) but if no better alternatives are ready and forthcoming then, begrudgingly, I’d grit my teeth and bear it.

But I firmly believe that if Pardew starts next season in charge, he won’t finish it. Which begs the question, what’s the point keeping him on?

I know this is based on my own preconceptions, and not factual reasoning, so it’s more a rhetorical question on my part haha

• 120 Transfer Sage // May 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM

ruddy

We will see what happens with it. Probably means if he is to be sacked he has another week or two to think of what he needs and present it to ashley.

• 121 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Maybe I am being over the top with criticism… but maybe it is due to the fact that his tactical rubbish is over the top too.

Panic defending against Reading at home for over half an hour when we were in control of the game… we go on to lose. It’s consistently happening, not one offs. My anger for Pardew is built up from his own doing through constantly failing to see what is blatantly obvious on the pitch, then to come up with all kinds of excuses to paper over his short comings.

Liverpool result was worst result in 80 years, yet I sat in my seat til after the final whistle (actually I was standing towards the end) and clapped Sissoko, Cabaye and Elliot when they came over to the Gallowgate at the very very end, more for the fact that they did actually come over themselves without running down the tunnel.

THOUSANDS had left after 4 nil. It’s embarrassing is a defeat like that, but I stayed and cheered more support throughout.

Look at his starting line-up. There’s no way he’s planning to score a goal more with that side.

It’s abysmal.

• 122 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

This has remained far too civil….. everyone… yo mama… et.c.

• 123 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Ruddy…I’m glad you ended your comment that way, saves me having to :)

I am being slightly selfish in my thinking, I am really curious to see what he can do next season, which probably isn’t a good way to approach things – not that Ashley will take much note of what my thoughts are…thank god.

• 124 Spoof // May 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Ian
    same old, same old, fitness levels are another subject which infuriates me, last season we were lorded for our fitness levels and the work rate which we put in, stats often had our players at the top of the ground covered per match lists, we were as fit as fiddles, but now all of a sudden our prep and fitness levels are poor, do you seriously believe that a manager would change a training schedule which served him so well the previous season, has it never occured to you that due to so many injuries Pardew has been forced to play lads who were not 100% fit because the only other option would be Sammy, Shola, Gosling etc, and an unfit Benny, Cabaye etc would be a better option, you come over as a sensible man, so please think about it, if you do you will see that I am right

• 125 cyprus // May 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Colo, yes, but also some bloggers pet hates (Williamson and Simpson) deserve an apology. Whenever they’ve played they’ve been solid. Saylor, despite his obvious enthusiasm, has been third (fourth if you count Mbiwa) best in that CB position.
    Best CB are Mbiwa and Colo, although since the latter is leaving (surely, on humanistic grounds, unless he’s sick of the wife) we need a top CB now. And keep Williamson.

• 126 Toon-Prodigy // May 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Afternoon lads,

I see Beckham has now retired. What a career the lad has had.

• 127 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Sage

Interesting article, does indeed show we lack a creative incisive plan for getting inside the box. Is it due to Cisse being so isolated, or a lack of creative players/our most creative player playing so deep?

Needs addressing.

Markaccus

Wigan, for 60 mins, on Tuesday played exceptional football, wonderful to watch, yet they were beat 4-1.

It’s a fine line, but I’d rather we gave that approach a go and tried to instil solid defending within it.

For the record, No I would not rather play good football and get relegated, but I believe if we played better football with the players we have we’d have less pressure on our defence, create more chances and as a result be much higher up the table.

• 128 Rainrix // May 16, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Brilliant more interesting than chelsea without even trying :)

• 129 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Laurent…. i agree, we have been abysmal. I am open to manager upgrade, although i dont blame everything on him. I just wouldnt want him sacked to be replaced by curbishley, steve kean, captain caveman or the new schmoo! It has to be a top name or at least someone who is highly rated for future greatness

• 130 Tsunki // May 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I am afraid our survival was mostly down to other teams thankfully being poorer than us, rather than by innate design. What is a bit embarrassing for the coaching team is that just about every other club in the bottom 8 had a poorer squad than us by some way. The current S*nderland team is as poor a setup as I have seen in many years, Villa is a two-man rescue job, Stoke, West Ham have managers who base survival in the Prem on attrition. Southampton is astutely managed to its strengths which are few, Norwich with Hoots is a workmanlike application of steady results from again a not very bright squad. Wigan has finally been caught up with, Reading just hopelessly outgunned and QPR a hand-picked team of the highest paid yet lowest-motivated journeymen.

Add to that the top half of the table is one of the poorest leafues we have had in England in some time, we should have been up top 6 again this year with this squad really.

It all makes for grim reading regarding Alan P, unfortunately. He was given the chance to batten down, then had his squad bolstered beyond what many managers in his position could expect. I think that was Mike’s gauntlet, and not being able to significantly improve the performances has sealed Alan’s fate, I don’t think he will be jetting off to pre-season. I will give the players polite applause after the Arsenal game, but silence from me for Pardew. He just hasn’t done anything has he?

• 131 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Just want to take a moment to say what a model professional David Beckham has been his entire career.

Have nothing but the utmost respect for the man and wish him well in whatever he chooses to do from now on. Today’s footballers could do with using him as an example on how to be at the very top and still be dignified and professional.

Top bloke.

• 132 Tinman - Pardwho? // May 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Heard Rafa is coming and is bringing David Luiz with him. With Moyes off wantaway Fellaini is now interested in ANY offers and it seems Newcastle have topped his list.
    Rafa’s primary objective is to keep Colo at the club, he sees him as a great CDM.

That would leave us a midfield trio of:

Luiz——Fellaini——Colo

• 133 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Laurent…I hear you and I do feel for the fans that do pay a large whack of their hard earned money to go and watch it. Pretty easy for me to go online, watch a free stream and then say “it’s alright guys” – so fair play to you for sitting / standing through it.

I also understand how criticism gets over the top, but it doesn’t help, nor imo, is it needed.

I think every fan agrees that something needs to change, whatever that may be, and hopefully it does. Can’t handle too much more of this whoevers fault it is :)

Markaccus….is lovely?

• 134 Tsunki // May 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM

a leafue is equivalent to a league btw.

• 135 Rainrix // May 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Tinman… Sounds good, looks like we’ll need to employ a full time perm manager though, or at least get a sponsorship with l’oreal :)

• 136 Tsunki // May 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Tinman ha ha very good a sort of sideshow bob trio :)

• 137 cyprus // May 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Well, Tsunki, not much wrong with what you said there. Still, I think he’ll give him till next Xmas.

• 138 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Tsunki

Wonderfully worded, and concisely put. I agree that we have finished much lower than other teams who, on the face of it, are much inferior to ourselves.

We could even look higher up the table at the likes of Fulham, and even West Brom and look at the basis of the relative “successes” of these teams and beg the question as to why we were unable to match them.

It all seems to point one way doesn’t it? You seem rather certain in your assertions regarding Pardew’s future, I am decidedly less so.

• 139 Ian Toon // May 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Spoof-undoubtedly in particular Jonas and Cabaye who played regularly when unfit. Cabaye came out of Euro’s with groin problems and was persuading to cut back on training rather than undergo an op.
    The lack of squad depth and lack of recovery time did not help the overall fitness levels. That said we need to bring in some modern coaches rather than Carver and Co.

• 140 Tsunki // May 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM

We should have beards in the middle, moustaches on the wings and baldies up top.

• 141 cyprus // May 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I hope we go for it vs. Arsenal, don’t know how many more drab displays I can take! Jes, these were the entertainers, come on

• 142 Toon-Prodigy // May 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I agree we have been lacking in creativity. I think this is down to Cabaye and Ben Arfa missing half the games this season. Im sure there was a good run of games we missed them both together also. During our bad run in december.

I think the problem is that we just didn’t have the quality to come in and cover. We don’t have any other Cabaye or Ben Arfa type players. I have warmed to Marveux since he has came back into the fray though, I think he did very well until he was injured again.

• 143 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Tinman…Surely you don’t believe we’re getting Rafa as manager and then signing Luiz and Fellaini?

Prodigy…Really? Nothing but respect for golden balls, even with his squeaky voice.

• 144 Markaccus // May 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Yeah ruddy i think we would be more successful with our squad than wigan. It returns me to my point about mental demons in the dogfight situation and being scared to play it that way. Arsenal knew wigan would keep attacking, and just kept hitting them on the break. The arsenal fullbacks were frighteningly good particularly the lb. Tradationally the team who plays football when it is the dogfight is usually the one remembered as “brave bumchester utd are relegated” :D

• 145 Ian Toon // May 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Tsunki – it’s hard to know who should be our player of the season!

• 146 micbush // May 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Good afternoon lads.
    Dunno if anyone has seen this, but there’s some interesting player stats on http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/23/.

Without a doubt our most important player, and best performer this season(despite being below average recently) is Yohan Cabaye, both in attack and defense.(apart from the obvious goals/assists stats 6 goals 2 assists)
    In his 24 games this season he averages 2.1 key passes per game, although is pass completion is only at 79%(he does look for the killer ball though).Defensively he averages 3 tackles and 2.1 interceptions per game.
    That’s more kep passes per game than Man Utd’s Robin van Persie/Wayne rooney/ashley young who average 1.8 key passes per game.
    Also Man utd’s top defensive performer is Rafael with 3.1 tackles per game and 2.1 interceptions per game.

Point of this? I’m not sure really, ha.
    I guess that in a failing team, Yohan is still playing as well as he can, and his is performing at a similar level to the best players in the league (statistically at least).

But stats can be misleading, According to this website, in his 19 appearances this season, Mike Williamson has been our best player.

Hmmmmm.

• 147 Toon-Prodigy // May 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Ibiza,

Aye he has wrapped it in. 20 years playing at the top level. Probably the best passer of the ball I’v ever witnessed.

previous post: Can This Top Youngster Make It At Newcastle?

next post: Newcastle Are Now Buying Good Players With Good Characters