Courageous Steve Harper Opens Up On HIs Depression

We were shocked to the core when on 27th November of 2011, the news came though that Newcastle great Gary Speed had taken his own life at the young age of just 42, when everything seemed to be going for him.

steve harper -495646647

Steve Harper – has battled depression

We learned after his untimely death that Gary, like a lot of people these days, had suffered from depression, so we think it’s a positive that Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper has opened up about his own depression, which he has battled over the years.

38 year-old Steve Harper will play his last game for Newcastle on Sunday against Arsenal, after 20 years at the club, and he had this to say to the Daily Mirror today:

“I was probably about 30 at the time and it was really tough. You need help. You can’t fight it yourself. You have to speak to people and get help. That is what I did.”

“There have been times when it has been anything but comfortable. The way I got through it was through the support of my family, particularly Lynsey, my wife, by going to see a little old lady, a counselor, and with medication from the doctors.”

“It helps you through it, because it was very tough and, the more you try to fight it yourself, it gets a hold of you.” “It helps you through it, because it was very tough and, the more you try to fight it yourself, it gets a hold of you.”

“Fortunately, more people are speaking of it now and it is almost more acceptable but, seven or eight years ago, having had that tough time, I like to keep an eye on players now who I think are maybe struggling.”

Steve is showing a lot of courage in unveiling his fight with his own demons – but it will only do good for other people who may be struggling themselves with depression, which is a terrible and debilitating problem.

Steve seems to have been successful in overcoming the difficulty, and the key is to seek help from both family and doctors, which is exactly what Steve did.

And it’s time to celebrate Steve’s 20 years at Newcastle on Sunday afternoon, and we hope we can go out with all 3 points against the Gunners.

Congratulations to Steve Harper on an excellent and loyal career at Newcastle United.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

That’s the second player depressed under pardew, Hmmm

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM

actually ignore that one i only read the headline

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Alien

It’s not a Pardew story, nor should it be attempted to be made one. Harper’s admitting that it was around 8 years ago.

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM

ruddy, yeah i realised that now

• Thump

May 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM

@Alien: Even if it was recent it would likely have nothing to do with Pardew or any other manager for that mater. Depression can be caused by a lot of things and can be perpetuated by countless different scenarios (and often corrected by something insanely simple and, quite often, silly). Take Cabaye. His depression was brought about by fatigue which inevitably lowers your motivation which leads to a spiral. If anything, Pardew’s set up should be commended for dealing with Yohan as effectively as they did.

Not accusing you, of course, I know you corrected yourself but thought it was worth mentioning regardless.

• Ben3arfa

May 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I have battled depression myself and still am continuing to do so till this day. Respect for Harps for having the courage to share this with the Toon army just before a very emotional farewell match.

Much love Harps!

• sanchez

May 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Ultimate respect to Harps. Hope he stays here in a non-playing role, I really do. Is he retiring or moving clubs or what? Will there be a testimonial? He certainly deserves one in my opinion.

• Joe Blog

May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

From a close friend who’s in and around the game, in London, the word is, Pardew is going to be allowed to bow out with dignity, taking the mic after the final whistle against Arsenal, probably after the customary lap of ‘honour’, would be my guess. Not dependent on the result, either way he’s gone.

• kizza

May 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Hey guys. Ive followed the blog since day one. Feel like I know you all. This is only the 3rd time I’ve ever posted. The first was when I broke the news that we had signed Collo a week before we actually did. And the second was with Ben Arfa. But no one really took notice.

Anyway… I have been informed of more news from the same source… I hope its wrong this time. But I will tell you what i’ve heard. Alan Pardew is to be announced as sacked on Sunday night with Steve Bruce (who has already had discussions with Mike Ashley) to be announced as manager as early as next Tuesday. Like I say I hope im wrong. But my source isn’t usually far off the mark.

• Jackel001

May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Just seen the pics from Colo’s bit part from last night. The dressing room looks really split……..

• kizza

May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Funny you say that Joe Blog…cause I heard the same thing from my mates Dad who is a sports editor (whatever that means) for The Times

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I do hope that’s wrong kizza, Steve Bruce is as bad as Pardew if not worse, Steve bruce is a toon fan so would be very passionate, but he couldn’t do it at wigan and scumderland, Also with hull gaining promotion i’d hope he would want to see how he could do with them. But since he is a boyhood fan of newcastle, i doubt he could turn it down.

• nick_9

May 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Kizza if your source is right i’ll give him everything i own. I’m not shooting you down personally but it sounds like a right load of 5h1t. Silly season again soon

• Laurent Robert 32

May 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Bruce? I feel sick.

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Steve bruce not even on the list, not that that means too much, but people don’t think he is even possible but managers like Walter smith are so Hopefully bruce does’t come

• nick_9

May 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Steve Bruce would be almost as much as an anticlimax as Pardew was, i was hoping for Jol at the time. Could probably see us getting someone like the dutch Mclaren if Pardew goes

• kizza

May 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I completely agree with you guys. I don’t think he would walk away from a club where the fans absolutely love him. Unless he wants to leave Hull a hero (which he is as he got them promoted 3 years ahead of schedule). It just sounds like such a Mike Ashley move. I really really hope my source is wrong. The problem is….he is usually right! Although he said bookies are suspending betting on him becoming manager. I dont believe you can get odds on it (as of 2pm yesterday) it was 50-1. But due to other stories (Beckham retiring, Poyet suspended) its slipped under the radar and no ones made a deal out of it.

I will happily be wrong though lads. Id rather our Pards

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM

• gonufc (not Arf' bad)

May 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM

On that link rotonda posted (thanks for that) did anyone else read this:

“By the way, a warning to all Newcastle fans about Alan Pardew – when things are going well for Pardew, they tend to go very well. But when the wheels come off, the man becomes somewhat powerless. It is not only his record at the Addicks that suggests this trend.”

This was written when he was just appointed.

• kizza

May 17, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Nick9
    Its ok mate. I hate people who bring “Exclusives” to the blog too when they clearly just made it up. I was weary of even saying it as I didnt want people to think I was a “turd stirrer”. I hope my source is wrong. Id happily be that guy who gives wrong information rather than being right and have Steve Bruce destroy our club. Lol

• gonufc (not Arf' bad)

May 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Steve Bruce?!?

If that’s true then Ashley really does hate us.

• nick_9

May 17, 2013 at 1:53 AM

yeah kizza nothing personal, this is just something i really cannot see happening and would bet against. Ashley is capable of springing a surprise but that would be quite astonishing, if Pardew goes we need someone who can get the lads playing together. Now we’re safe i can actually see Pardew staying

• kizza

May 17, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Its ok I didnt take it personally. If im wrong im wrong. I personally think we will stick with Pardew. I like him. He gets on well with the Mike Ashley. Cant see many other managers putting up with Ashleys shananagans.

People mention Martinez. I cant see it. He is good mates with his chairman…Welan… Big Mikes worst enemy. Mike and Welan hate each others guts. I just think Martinez has too much respect for his chairman to come to us and work under Mike.

• beefman13

May 17, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Martinez tries to play decent football that’s granted, they are always saying how small a budget Wigan have, whelan is worth half a billion quid!! have they ever been out of the bottom 4 in the last 5 years???? let them give someone other than us a try, the caldwells at wigan should be nowhere near the premiership, defence is far to weak.

• t00ntime

May 17, 2013 at 2:15 AM

lol if bruce is the other option, i hope pards stays :S. both sh1t but would rather have the devil we know.

• LeToonARMY

ANITA
    GUTTIREZ
    SHLOWLA AMEOBI
    CAMPBELL

• t00ntime

May 17, 2013 at 2:21 AM

looking at pards interviews about Arsenal game and his body language he doesnt look like a man about to quit. I think your sources are wrong and full of sh1t. I will apologise if wrong but I dont want to have another summer of 50itks on the blog talking about players waiting in hotels etc.. I’m sure we still have like 20 players waiting at the hotel now :S

• chris_g

May 17, 2013 at 2:53 AM

If this rumour about Steve Bruce is coming from the sports editor of the Times then it’s likely that he’s getting his information from George Caulkin (their North East football reporter).

It might be worth keeping an eye on Caulkin’s twitter account to check for any further developments – I don’t see anything on there about Brucie at the moment but I did notice a couple of tweets about Steve Harper, which brings us nicely back on topic:

George Caulkin ?@CaulkinTheTimes 3h

Anyway, sure he’ll get a fond reception on Sunday and equally sure he’ll go on to be successful in whatever he does. Lovely man. #nufc

Robbie Mustoe ?@robbiemustoe 2h

@CaulkinTheTimes Scored against him at St James. Afterwards in the players lounge he congratulated me on a “good finish”. Classy guy.
    Retweeted by George Caulkin

Good luck Steve. All the best

• Sydney Toon

May 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Kizza
    I sincerley hope that you are only half wrong, Pardew sacked – yes please. Steve Bruce – no thank you, would rather us bring Dean Saunders!! All the word is that he will go but the main canditates would be Benitez, Jol and McClaren. Letting him leave with his dignity is a complete crock, he lost that when he looked clueless through the Liverpool flogging!

• Novocastrian66

May 17, 2013 at 4:29 AM

He’ll of a scoop that Kizza. Surely the Times would run with it if they knew anything.
    Perhaps Pardew is history and that’s why he cancelled the radio show.

• JAMSHA

May 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM

harpers sons will b the mascot for the final game…… n hope we win this game for harper…

harper stand or harper bar nxt

• gonufc (not Arf' bad)

May 17, 2013 at 5:39 AM

I suppose this is the new problem with Newcastle.

The manager plays unbelievably poor football and has consistently been terrible after 1 good season everywhere he’s been but we’re still nervous and uneasy about him being sacked.

Simply because Ashley only ever hires “used to be”s or plain coaches (not managers) like Kinnear, Pardew, Hughton (not that he was too bad), Pearson etc. from out in the wilderness.

Doubt he’d go for Bruce because he’d have to pay compensation- don’t think he’s ever done that.

So, who’s out of contract who is decidedly unambitious and disheartening?

I now really dislike Ashley again after that Rooney article on his site. It was simply insulting that he thought us so stupid. “Sources say…..”- just tell the truth! It’s your own site!

It’s either thinking we’re morons and trying to cover over a simply abysmal season in terms of both results and performances or trying to gain some cheap publicity for his company by making us all look like idiots.

• Indian Magpie

• Indian Magpie

May 17, 2013 at 6:24 AM

espn or ss

• cyprus

May 17, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Kizza,
    thanks for the tip! If AP does go, then so be it, his teams really have not exactly been dominating.
    As for Bruce… I always thought he’d end up with his home team, like Sir BR. So, sure, why not?

• JAMSHA

May 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Indian Magpie

finaly we get to see live match on final day 😀 ..