Two Newcastle Youngsters Named In England U20 Squad

Newcastle youngsters Adam Campbell and Gael Bigirimana have been named in the provisional England squad for the upcoming FIFA Under-20 World Cup to be played in Turkey.

gael bigirimana I did it Wigan

Gael Bigirimana – first call up by England

England U20 coach Peter Taylor has named a provisional 35 player squad for the competition in Turkey, to take place from 21st June to 13th July this summer.

England have never fared well in this competition and our best finish was fourth-place in 1981 and third place 12 years later.

Two years ago in Colombia,  the England team qualified for the knockout stages as one of the best third-placed teams in the group stages – but we then lost 1-0 in the round of the last 16 to Nigeria.

This is Gael Bigirimana’s first call-up for any England Youth side, and demonstrates how much he has already improved since arriving from Coventry  City last summer.

adam campbell PL debut stoke

Adam Campbell – first call-up for England U20 side

Adam Campbell on the other hand has already played at the England U16, U17 and U19 levels.

There are big things expected of both Newcastle youngsters, and indeed Adam Campbell has been part of the match squad 18 for the last few games,  and Gael has already appeared 25 times with one goal for the Magpies, which is not too bad in his first season on Tyneside.

This is the full England U20 squad:

Jamal Blackman (Chelsea), Sam Johnstone (Manchester United), George Long (Sheffield United), Connor Ripley (Middlesbrough), Jake Bidwell (Everton), Sam Byram (Leeds United), Donervon Daniels (West Bromwich Albion), Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Michael Keane (Manchester United), Jamaal Lascelles (Nottingham Forest), Liam Moore (Leicester City), Daniel Potts (West Ham United), Adam Reach (Middlesbrough), Jack Robinson (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United), Ross Barkley (Everton), Gael Bigirimana (Newcastle United), Jake Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Conor Coady (Liverpool), Larnell Cole (Manchester United), John Lundstram (Everton), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Patrick Bamford (Chelsea), Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Adam Campbell (Newcastle United), Max Clayton (Crewe Alexandra), Rob Hall (West Ham United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Long (Everton), Nathan Redmond (Birmingham City), Luke Williams (Middlesbrough).

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Cisse's Big Toe

May 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM

i would like to see a couple of youngsters get run out against arsenal

harper
    debuchy colo mbiwa santon
    anita bigi
    hba cabaye marv
    campbell

• TorqToon

May 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Perfect time to unleash Campbell! No fear and buzzing from his call up!

Ibiza – Another fortnight of work then I get 6 weeks off! Feels like the old school summer holiday! Bringing the family over this way for a few weeks, back home predominantly and then back to work soon after.

• croftus5678

May 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

good this is what we need more competitive games for our youngsters.

bigi has definatly earned an u21 call up imo as he’s allready showing he’s 1st team material and if it wasnt for all our good mid’s he would def not look out of place

• Laurent Robert 32

May 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Marveaux has 4 assists from 10 starts and 11 substitute appearances. Points/game saving assists as well!

A few on 2 assists which is next best. Shocking, but that’s what happens if you don’t regularly set your teams up to create chances.

Well done Bigi and Campbell for their call ups.

• Cisse's Big Toe

May 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

pardew just said he wants to bring back carroll

also hopeful colo will stay

• Tsunki

May 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I thought we usually had a goalie in there?

• Ian Toon

May 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Talk about a visionary-as a late arrival in August last I didn’t know you had star quality in you- Mystic Meg eat your heart out:
    60solano // Oct 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Ashtree…the “lucrative” Europa League is no such thing in reality…but the fixture commitment it demands means that we would have to strengthen the squad significantly in order to have a go at doing well in it….I’m not sure we have people with enough Football knowledge running this club to make the right decisions if that scenario comes about.
    What should be a great adventure on foreign soils can very quickly turn into a burden on your domestic campaign if you don’t have the ammunition

• Tsunki

May 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM

cisses big toe. Kiss of death x2 then.

• TorqToon

May 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Cisse big toe – you have a link for that interview mate?

• Cisse's Big Toe

May 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

personally i think carroll and cisse would be lethal

just worried pardew will manage them

• Cisse's Big Toe

May 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

torq sorry i dont just from twitter

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM

well done to them, I haven’t seen much of campbell, but bigi looks a true gem, loan him next year, perhaps birmingham as we have god links with them, and he will come back a much better player, i really do predict a big future for him, and he seems a nice lad as well, big respect for him.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Well done to both of them. Good to have a couple in there. There are some pretty good players in that squad mind, so I would be surprised if both/either made the final cut.

On another note, I thought Eric Dier ( listed as Sporting Lisbon) had left them for Everton last summer? He is well worth Mike and Graham looking at if we are trying to secure top young talent. A very good uncompromising and ball playing defender, and can only have got better at Sporting’s academy since I saw him as a 16 year old.

Reach, Redmond and Byram are 3 others that strike me as being available for NUFC to buy, and all would be an improvement on our current youngsters back up youngsters.

• Cisse's Big Toe

May 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

of currrent crop i only see campbell bigi and vuckic if sorts out injuries making it. i think inman could cut it as a bottom half pl/top championship player too, he seems tidy

• Laurent Robert 32

May 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

A snippet from the excellent in depth Benitez tactical document which was put up before if anyone missed it:

Being ‘structured’ doesn’t end up with you enforcing certain defensive frameworks to your team. This also concerns your attitude towards the team’s attacking play. Benitez has always been certain with what he wants from his team offensively. For all the myths that he is pretty much a rigid manager when it comes to attacks, in fact he has always insisted on his team being fluid going forward by presenting several attacking angles and different threats. A typical Benitez team (see Valencia and Liverpool at their peaks) always include players providing width, one or two ball-players and at least two players capable and geared up to provide direct attacking presence within the shape. In short – the typical Benitez side will always include diversity in a purely attacking sense. Which means players overlapping in their duties and behaviour on the pitch would rarely be put together.

Here’s is the full article:

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Tsunki,
    Alnwick has been in and around the England youth set up. Whether the fact he hardly features for us at any level, or he isn’t on a loan is counting against him, who knows. But George Long has burst on the scene at Sheffield Untied in the last 6 months, and looks the part so he may have pushed him out.

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Alien
    loaning him out would probably be for the best, but why not a Prem club, he would be good enough to get games for many Prem teams, and Prem experience should bring him on a lot quicker, he would be great for a newly promoted club, Hull Palace/Watford would be ideal

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Laurent
    I have not read about Benitez’s tactics and I have no intention of doing so, he is not our manager and probably never will be so he is of no interest to me what so ever

• Ulster_Toon

Marvaeux
    Cisse
    Ben Arfa

• Transfer Sage

May 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM

spoof

what about from a purely football view?

or are you just a newcastle fan and not football in general? I know everyone is different.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen 😀

Great news for Campbell and Bigi, haven’t seen much of Campbell, would be great to see him get a loan move next season.

Bigi does look like he has a composed head on young shoulders, in Tiote’s absence he made him look like an amateur and in all fairness, the only time he got any game time second half of the season was when that muppet AP shoved him up RW! I mean seriously!?! Sticking an 19 year old kid who is CDM into RW in a European game? I bet that done wonders for his confidence eh Alan?

I’ve been reading the comments regarding Rafa and I am taking myself off this rumour train which seems to be gathering momentum, the reason being that I think those of us who wish to see AP replaced will not see that wish fulfilled, and even if AP is sacked, I seriously doubt that Ashley will replace him with a manager of the calibre of Benitez. It’s a nice thought and I would delighted to be wrong, I just cannot see it somehow.

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

TS
    lets me honest here, that post from Laurent was put on purely because of a desire by some to have Benitez installed as Pardew’s replacement, now we do no that to be true, it was not put on as a football topic, it was put on as a Newcastle manager topic, I could be wrong but I do believe that Pardew will be sacked at the seasons close, would it not be bested to debate possible replacements then, this Pardew debate is getting a bit tiresome now, would you not agree.

• Transfer Sage

May 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

spoof

I agree it is tiresome but currently there is little else to talk about, or at least I can’t think of much myself.

And yeh I think it was put up for the reason of benitez to manage is, but it’s still a nice read just for footballing reasons.

• magpie6699

May 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Back to Sunday – I think we should go 1-10-0 formation so Steve Harper doesn’t have to go out with a cricket score against his name.

• Transfer Sage

May 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

just to compare that level of thinking to what we see week in week out here.

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Ruddy
    Thankyou, you backed up my post before I even posted it, what a shame Cisse’s timing when it comes to offside isn’t as good !

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Do we think Pardew would be talking about Carroll or incoming players at all if he thought he was going anywhere?

• Transfer Sage

May 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

magpie6699

I’d like to see us go 433 and just have some fun. Tell the players to go out, express themselves but also fight for the match, don’t be too casual but try to enjoy it.

If we win or lose it’s not too important, what I think is important is a competitive attacking display for the fans.

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

TS
    fair comment, and if the blog goes really quite then I might read it myself, if he gets installed then I will definitely read it lol

• Markaccus

May 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Ruddy. On the other side of that argument, the length of contract pardew has, sacking him would only be worthwhile with a huge step up on calibre. As someone who doesnt lay all the blame on percy, i would still be happy if he was sacrificed for a big name. Even the spanish waiter who i dont particularly like as a bloke.

Team for sunday 433
    Harps
    Deb colo tayls yanga
    Cabaye perch anita (socks inj. Tiote pap.)
    Goofy cisse hba.
    Anita and cabaye as the more advanced mids. Perch has been better than tiote all season. I prefer goofy to marv. Who can come on second half with cambell and bigi.

• Transfer Sage

May 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

ibiza

the latest I heard was that he has to explain the seasons failures but more importantly what he would do to put it right before ashley decides his fate.

Mayeb carroll is part of that?

• Hebburn Mag

May 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Team for Sunday (4 – 5 – 1)

Harper (GK)

Tiote
    Dummett
    Gosling

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Ibiza
    you wouldn’t think so, but it is Pardew, at times he does speak before he engages his brain, so it would be a massive surprise

• Transfer Sage

May 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM

spoof

I was basically pleading for you to think of a topic….think my mind has gone numb with all the pardew talk haha

• Markaccus

May 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Also, torq if youre around. I am on the bus but there are no footy people on it.

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM

TS
    if he has to explain the seasons failures then he will be stuck in the office until Christmas, so who would take temporary charge ?

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Spoof…”at times” Ha, are you being kind? 🙂

TS…I thought he had explained it already? Over and over in fact. I actually just read the quote and all he actually seems to say is:

“He is a player that anybody in the Premier League has got to be interested in if he became available.”

Maybe reading too much into it…for a change 🙂

• Spoof

May 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

TS
    why not talk about Cisse, I happen to think that a lot of the stick he gets is a bit unfair, 13 goals with 6 legitimate ones wrongly disallowed for someone who played half the season as a winger in a struggling team is not a bad return.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Spoof, not really, although is partly with the rumours, yes, or course it is.

It is actually refreshing to read a tactical based report on any manager. I am very interested by the logic behind all aspects of tactical football and all sports. I have a degree in coaching and exercise development myself. I will gladly read a lot more like it and have done in the past. Both Exercise Science reports and practical demonstrations.

I just like to acquire knowledge on various subjects and don’t have the blinkers on like you’ve just put on by not even reading it. It’s good research into the possible rumours also.

Learning more about how football can and should be played in the right way should be done more often in this country and we wouldn’t lag so far behind other nations in youth development.

We have a manager who only knows how to lump a ball up to the forward and panic defend for entire second halves and is void of much common sense tactics at all.

1 2 3 5