The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Summer Signings Will Show Ambitions Of Newcastle

9:18 am, Sunday, May 19th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

Most summer transfer windows are interesting for Newcastle fans, but this one is going to be extra interesting – if only to see what Newcastle do following a terrible season in which we were fighting relegation again.

mike ashley   -880074675

Mike Ashley - how ambitious is the owner?

And we should always remember that it could have been a lot worse than it’s turned out, because 12 days ago if Wigan had beaten Swansea at home, then Newcastle would have been third bottom with just two games to go.

The good news is that we helped ourselves get out of the mess with a good 2-1 win at QPR when everything was on the line – and Newcastle even managed to go 1-0 down after 11 minutes, to a team that hadn’t scored in the previous four games.

So after such a scare, it will be interesting to see who Newcastle bring in over the summer months, and whether we will stick with France as the main hunting ground for talent, after we have already brought in five more Frenchmen in late January.

There’s also a decent case to be made that if we can keep all our good players, we only need two or three top players brought in over the summer, with two strikers being a top priority.

And Alan Pardew again said that he thought Geordie Andy Carroll was a good player, as he said this in The Sun:

“He is a player that anybody in the Premier League has got to be interested in if he became available.” “When Demba Ba went in January and we didn’t secure Loic Remy.”

“It was obvious that we were going to need to bring in a striker or two in this summer window, and hopefully we can.”

Maybe if Newcastle can get Andy and Pierre-Emerick Aubeyemang of St. Etienne through the door, then those two would be exciting signings for the club, and give us a little power up front and some menace from set plays – with big Andy in the side..

And as well as strikers, Newcastle could look at central midfield where Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote were nowhere near as good as they were last season.

And we’ll see Steve Harper and Danny Simpson leave the club when their contracts run out at the end of June, and maybe one or two fringe players like Dan Gosling, who hasn’t been a success in his three years on Tyneside.

The type of signings Newcastle make this summer will indicate just what kind of team Mike Ashley wants at Newcastle – whether it’s a team that can challenge for the top six or even top four – or whether he’s happy enough to be in the top ten every season.

We hope it’s the former.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 kevymartins // May 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM

@Jose you seem to like defending jonas. Your second name wouldn’t happen to be enrique?

• 2 spitfire_ // May 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Sack Pardew will show even more ambitions.

• 3 Spuggy // May 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Repost:

Yeah the usual attacks and ridiculous comments back (eg catchy saying I’ve never played football). That’s why I don’t post on here anymore in spite of being one of the longest members of the blog.

it’s just the same old stuff.

My point that the players need to settle, learn English and adapt to the EPL is bob on but most just want to blame pards. if you had Ben Everton supporters you would have been baying for his blood too when he first started.

I’m not saying pards is the long term man, but to expect all our newbies to be playing free flowing beautiful football after a few months is ridiculous. And to say pards has coaxed it out if them is nothing short of crazy.

• 4 josetoon // May 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM

If you read my last post I don’t think Jonas is the greatest however my secondary name is Enrique

• 5 josetoon // May 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM

This is coincidence

• 6 Spuggy // May 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM

For the record Jonas forced the keeper error against qpr which saved us against relegation. He’s had a poor season but he helped save us by running his arse off at the end of a game.

I wouldn’t like to be in the trenches with some of you guys. Marv has been very inconsistent too so saying he should replace Jonas every time is just blinkered.

• 7 Indian Magpie // May 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

• 8 kevymartins // May 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM

@Spuggy you could argue that but most fans on here where crying for gouffran to be played up front simply because he is a striker and vs qpr he was played up top and well he scored that goal.

• 9 kevymartins // May 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Off topic but my cousin is an arsenal fan. All I get is therry henry this an that..Were signing rooney were gona spend money this year and become the untouchables again..He has been coming in everyday and telling me gouffran is sh!t so poor we shouldn’t have copyed them and attacked the french market so I would love it if goufrann scored the winner vs them to day.Would be sour for him.

• 10 LocalZero // May 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Read this blog everyday but rarely post because most people on it seem so unreasonable it hardly seems worth it. However, I just read the comments on the £1m bonus story and am so pi**ed off I can’t help myself. Some (often seems like most) people on here are so negative and unreasonable towards MA no matter what he does, I don’t think they deserve to support a winning team. I hope you’re all as miserable as you make me. MA might well sell-up one day, partly because owning a club that gets you this much flack is a total pain, and then some people might realise that he was actually doing a decent job. Those people that hate him should be careful what they wish for.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // May 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I find the irony in check and catchy lecturing bills son on accepting mediocrity whilst backing Mike Ashleys vision of mid table stability truly baffling.
    Saxonfunkin
    I’m 41 now so have seen my fairshare of relegations,very apt you mention the old second division because all of the unwanted stats I bring up are in the new era of the PL and the riches it brings.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // May 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I couldn’t want us to lose a game, but not losing may mean we keep Pardew. I’m confident that Ashley was/is planning to sack him, but as I posted a couple of weeks ago, the payout is dependent on where we finish. If we finish above 15th, I reckon the break clauses won’t be activated, so Ashley may want to avoid a hefty payout and keep him.

On Ashley, he is a Chelsea fan, not a Spurs fan, just like he isn’t a cockney, he is from Buckinghamshire. I’m not sure how people can think that offering a 1million payout to non playing staff is a bad thing. Utter madness. People were complaining he never offers bonuses to NUFC staff, but does to Sports direct. You may not like him, but credit where credit is due.

• 13 Ian Toon // May 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Repose
    117Ian Toon // May 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Ibiza- good morning. I did not expect to encounter wild optimism from what can only be described as many embittered fans but it does serve to remind why the less time spent reading such clueless drivel the more enriched your life will be. A contradiction in terms when a fan wants the toon to lose !! An embittered nutter would be a better description. Sheer nastiness without any argument and a string of tit for tat posts in the end are a boring read. I still spend a good amount of time ploughing through sifting the wheat from the chaff but ” we want our blog back.” Personally I’d value opinions and input from fans who know more and understand better. Rather than the contributors who make multiple incursions with tedious repetition , inaccuracy and rant. Just because something is endlessly repeated – like Gordon Brown’s ” no more boom and bust” we are not persuaded. The price of free speech and liberty of expression I hear being mentioned . There’s nothing wrong with a few malodorous weeds appearing amongst the flowers . Let’s move on from whatever today brings and look ahead. Let this be a blog from which a thousand flowers can bloom. This being a variation on your this is a blog for everyone. I think well do a lot better this afternoon than many think. We beat Spurs in our first game and with pride at stake let’s be optimistic and fully supportive.

• 14 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // May 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM

@12:

No-one i think is saying that the offering of a bonus to staff or whoever at the club is a bad thing?

It just beggars belief that the owner would attempt to get the players motivated on the Pitch by coming out and offering bonussen?

Surely, the motivation of the players to Win the match should be the Trainers Job? Or am i missing the point here?

• 15 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // May 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM

@ 13 :

I am with you on that!

• 16 toonbrother // May 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Marveaux should replace Jonas.Anyone who suggests any different lacks basic football intelligence. Jonas does a lot of running so what? Is he an effective tackler? No. He goes to ground very easily concedes more fouls than he wins balls. Is he effective going forward absolutely not. Marveaux has been treated very badly since joining the club. Benching him for Ferguson and now Jonas is nothing short of disgraceful

• 17 Hatem's better than Messi // May 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

The bonus is great but a shame the staff can’t get it because of their efforts and not the players.

Give it to them for increased ticket sales, courtesy, answering the phone quickly, cleaning well whatever but its a bit unfair giving them what is really a £1M bet.

• 18 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // May 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I just watched a series of reserve games on another thread with the Title:

“Mehmi Albeid, Good player for Newcastle United! ” !

Now i,me not trying to be funny or owt but it looked as if the reserve team in half of the clips were actually knocking the ball around and playing as a team ! Maybe ther opposition was shite but half of the players looked and appeared to be playing better than most of our First Team squad?

What is that all about??

As far as the summer Transfers goes? “Seeing is Believing”!

• 19 Son of Tiote // May 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hopefully they will keep my dad

• 20 S-G // May 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Anyone who thinks we should sell jonas needs to get a reality check. He may not have had the greatest season but so have so many others, we guna change the whole squad?

i do believe we need a new winger but at the same time there should always be a place in the squad and for certain games the starting 11 for grafters and committed players like jonas. Because as good as the likes of marv are, u tend to find when skill and pace fails to work for them theygo missing. Can’t remember seeing jonas or colo or in the past nolan goin missing even on the bad days.

• 21 Harley // May 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Newexpatmagpie

You might not be saying that but believe me there are a lot of moaners saying exactly what local zero was saying.

I’d have to go back through a sea of hundreds if posts to find them all but over the last couple of days I’ve read a few.

I keep saying the same thing too, be careful what you wish for. With pardew and Ashley.

• 22 south coast toon // May 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

i think mike ashley offering the i mil if we win is fan bloody tastic.he doesnt have to do it and will probably get stick from morrons for doing it, can you imagine being a cleaner watching the game and getting a 10 grand plus bonus youd think ashley was a god who says he knows nothin of pr. surely this team full of skillful international players will be inspired to get all there helpers a big payout off there boss……would,nt you… if we loose pards should pay them a bonus lol..

• 23 Harley // May 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Toonbrother

It’s not that people lack intelligence to prefer Jonas over marveaux. It’s what side of the fence they are sitting on.
    Jonas does the closing down, tracking back duties that marveaux won’t do. However marveaux does the attacking skill that Jonas can’t do.

Do you prefer the security of a Jonas who’ll graft and help out the defence or the skill of marveaux who’ll create and score.

In actually in the marveaux camp but I can totally understand why Jonas gets the nod. A bit unfair to say people are stupid who don’t agree with you.

• 24 Tayls // May 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

@LocalZero totally with you on that. Just read the 1m bonus article and my god. Some of the reactions from our fellow Newcastle fans are atrocious! Whether Fat mans doing it for publicity or not, he’s still offering a life changing amount of money to those it would make a difference to. I am just hoping it will motivate this very lack lustre team we have this season.

• 25 Spotlight Kid // May 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Sacking Pardew is the only way to demonstrate a modicum of good business sense – I’ll take that any day over loads of unknown and untried foreigners. I would like to see someone with a a footballing brain in charge of the current squad, Rafa (if possible), Laudrup (some hope) or if not then maybe Martinez (if Everton decide to promote from within).

As for ambition – it has never been this club’s forte and lack of silverware has never stopped the turnstiles; which is partly why Ashley bought into the Geordie gravy train to start with. Like SD selling expensive deluxe running shoes to puffing donkeys jogging the pier every other Sunday.

• 26 Spotlight Kid // May 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Tayls@24

They say loyalty always has a price, even with a ’80% off’ sticker dangling off it. Now, let’s practice tugging the ritual forelock to the fat laird as well….

• 27 Spoof // May 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Expat@14
    if motivating the players is solely the job the trainers, then what is the job of the fans, if your correct then we are not needed, I actually believe that any tool which could be used to motivate a player should be, imo a financial bonus to a player does not work due to them not needing the cash, other reasoning should be used.
    I do not like Mike Ashley one bit, I cannot abide the man, but this £1m bonus to non playing staff for beating Arsenal if its used correctly is a tremendous motivational act from him, whenever I do something good for another human being it gives me a great deal of satisfaction, it makes me feel good about myself, most human beings get the same type of satisfaction, some may and will deny it, but it is true of most, Pardew should be banging the players against a wall (not literally mind) about financial struggles for so many people, and drumming it into their heads about how they can help some who are not as whealthy as what they are, if our players have a shread of decency about them they would come out with a determination to earn these people a little bonus, as much as I dislike Ashley, credit where its due, this is inspiring from him, depending on the players own characters of course

• 28 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // May 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I agree with all of the comments from you lads above !!

Now lets just go and stick it up The Gooners this evening Eh?

HWTL!!!