The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Our Man Of The Match – A Great Acquisition For Newcastle

2:56 pm, Monday, May 20th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 72 Comments

We were big fans of Mapou Yanga-Mabiwa before he arrived at Newcastle in the summer, and of the five new Frenchmen he’s probably performed the best – along with Yoan Gouffran, who again looked good yesterday – but we still don’t know what Alan Pardew keeps taking him off in the second half.

mapou yanga-mbiwa 98

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – what a player this lad can become at Newcastle

Mapou was our Man of the Match in the last game of the season and we though he was outstanding at left back – and maybe full back is his best position, although he;s played very well in each position across the back four in his 20 appearances for Newcastle.

This lad is going to be tremendous acquisition and he has the leadership and guts to make him a firm Newcastle favorite in the future.

Mapou got 36% of the vote followed by Steve Harper, who had a steady and strong game in his 199th and final appearance for the Magpies, after 20 years at the club.

Steve would be a great buy for some club on a two-year deal – and maybe Lee Clark at Birmingham will sign him this summer, to replace Jack Butland who joins Stoke City.

Here are the results of our Man of the Match poll for yesterday – and it’s still open if you want to vote.

And we point out that two of the top four were new signings in January, and Sissoko and Haidara are out injured – so the five new players in January could all turn out to be excellent signings for the club in the long term.

Now there’s a positive thought! 😀

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Arsenal?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Massadio Haidara · Mathieu Debuchy · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Yoan Gouffran

72 responses so far ↓

• 1 DokToon // May 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

repost:

gmorning all,

my two cents:

this season can be compared to relations with a girl (or guy, for the ladies on here) you thought the world of, then once you got them into bed, it was nothing liked you pictured it would be…no fireworks, no spark, no passion…

once it was done, all you could think was, “glad thats over”…

• 2 TurkishFan101 // May 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

@DokToon

Are you seriously relating s_ex to to Newcastle’s season?

• 3 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Having his sizable pockets used to house elephant dung is too good for Ashley .

• 4 Indian Magpie // May 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

did any 1 see this

indykaila News ?@indykaila 15h
    According to north east sources, #Pardew was acting very strange behind the scenes today. Interesting week ahead for him. #NUFC

• 5 Newcastle Brown Alien // May 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

pre season for our january players will be huge, they can reach their potential and we become a force again, if they do and we sign 4 players we could be top 6

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Dok….Good morning sir.

Sadly, we need to get in bed with this girl again :)

• 7 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Yanga was class.

Late here today. I can see that i have missed nothing different.

• 8 Rainrix // May 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Dok…. Wait, theres suppose to be a different reaction to love making other than “thank god its over” ? Have i been doing it wrong? :)

• 9 ToonMauritius // May 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM

good afternoon mates,
    our chance of getting Benitez seem to be very slim

• 10 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

And since Mike Ashley arrived we have had three of our worst  seasons in the Premier League ever – 2007-2008 (43 points), 2008-2009 (34 points) and now 2012-2013 (41 points).
    I have done some research and found Pardew was only here for one of those seasons while a very rich fat bloke was here for all three.

• 11 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM

JfA
    I don’t see ur point….wait….ur saying that…..nope gone

Maybe ur losing ur touch :)

• 12 Tsunki // May 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Indy Kaila – self-promoting ITK who used to be good at 2nd guessing. Used to be, that is. I will promote him a point if his Rafa predicition comes true though :)

• 13 Alan_Pard_Who // May 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

People who do not fear losing the respect they have earned are either in denial or arrogant.

The difference between the 2 is that I will chose to read through 100 comments to find interesting points. Everyone has a voice that is deserved to be heard, but if they use that voice and it is a pollutant, then they deserve to be ignored.

What you were asking for is pure filtration of the blog so that only those with positivity can be heard because you don’t want to read the other posts.

Part of being on a public forum is hearing opposing views, something you used to do respectably and with great dignity,

Have you become so dissatisfied and disillusioned that you no longer have patience to hear opposing voices and would rather everyone accept that the opinion of those that Sack Llambias posted are the only ones that matter or are true?

It isn’t a critique of such, as i have no right to critique you, it is just an observation.

I know you won’t care what I think of you, my issue is you used to care about what others had to say and you used to be a levelled person whom everyone felt was the voice of reason. Recently you have used that voice without its usual reason that we have become accustomed to and is hugely appreciate.

I know you are tired and exhausted on a footballing level, as are we all, but you shouldn’t lose what made you so unique.

I used to religiously read your every post as it seemed to find the centre between true truth and falseness in every word spoken.

Now I must admit I breeze through your posts like it was another Ketsbia dream team.

If you want people to repost then it has to be balanced and I think it is good for people to read other people’s opinions but not when it is used as propaganda by an individual who is obviously suffering from multiple personality disorder, is no better than a internet troll and cannot find a cohesive argument in his own mind (s).

• 14 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

What was indy kialas rafa prediction?

• 15 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Bloody hell! Even mr neutral ibiza is being pulled to bits now. This blog is doooooommed 😀

• 16 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM

…..although my arrival seems to have brutally murdered the blog.

• 17 sirjasontoon // May 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Indy Kaila IS A CNUT !

• 18 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Wouldn’t want it to be missed now, would we?

Alan_Pard_Who…You have taken one comment from me and made it my gospel approach to the blog?

I am on here almost every day and read pretty much every single post, and as you admit, am known for chatting to pretty much everyone and their mother, no matter what there viewpoint.

I find it bordering on pathetic that as today I didn’t read through 200+ posts and had the cheek to say that I thought that 3 points that had been reposted were valid, that all of a sudden I am not open to reason or debate.

I have not said anywhere that I want the blog filtered. Stop jumping to conclusions.

I think you’ll find this started as you took to being out of order to someone who felt the need to re-post some bits he found interesting throughout todays offerings. And I’m the one trying to filter the content?

If you look closely, you should be able to see you’re more guilty than I of what you accuse me of doing.

Anyway, I don’t want to get in to this really, I don’t see what any of us have to gain. I suppose I shall be condemned to Kets status, sorry to have let you down.

• 19 Rainrix // May 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Markaccus…. Not just killed it you’ve murdered, cut it up and then mailed the parts back to its wife. Well done sir fine blog killing! :)

• 20 ToonMauritius // May 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

the blog is deserted, may be all the lads are disappointed due to our poor season in the league

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Tsunki….Self promoting? Bit harsh. It’s not like this ITK always starts sharing news with “Big news coming up…”

I see no good reason to not have faith :)

• 22 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

SirJason…Is that a cashew nut? Todays abbreviations really confuse me 😉

• 23 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Ibiza
    Condemned to Let’s status? U assume u were ever held in a higher regard? :)

• 24 Alan_Pard_Who // May 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM

All in all this blog is in regression as one of the most interesting, informative and credible NUFC forums on the Internet.

The regulars have an agenda to create their own personal blog with rules that all must abide by.

It is supposed to be open to all people and we are supposed to talk about the good and bad about nufc.

Things are bad at the minute so we should accept that, talk about how to improve it and find ways to move forward.

With the angry JFA unable to offer anything other than attacks on Ashley, the seven sides of Ian Toon, the self important loudmouth of Yo Yo and the now sterile voice of the new and improved Ibizatoon this blog is on its knees amongst many others the blog is on its knees.

• 25 Shane's Silly Season Of Spectacularly Stupid Speculation // May 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Just seen the new England home kit.

Looks really horrible in my opinion.

• 26 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Kets bloody auto correct!

• 27 Ashton // May 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Can you imagine Pardew staying and we sign Carrol next season?? It would be a long ball galore! We’ve played the most long balls in the league this season even though we don’t have a target man and cisse is awful at winning the ball in the air but with Carrol, it’s gonna be biblical!

• 28 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Rainrix.. that actually made me laugh ou loud. Good job my boss in the office!

Ketsbiza…. that has a ring to it, ibiza, dont you think?

• 29 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

jeezuus Christ on a bike Alan Pard who,
    Your making him out like some kind of human rights campaigner whose started using child prostitutes.

• 30 Tsunki // May 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Shut up ketsy2 I have lost all faith in you. I hope you get filtered like coffee. Mmmmmm…coffee.

Ibiza what have you/I/We done? The blog has imploded! Press the red button! Normality and reason are defunct,

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yo…That’s what I’m being told mate. Oh well, I suppose it was good whilst it lasted, just wish I had known sooner :)

Alan…Once again, only seeing it from one angle. Can the same not be said of those who want Pardew out? Very few talk about anything other than how useless Pardew is and how we need rid of him a.s.a.p. Many of them then go on to attack anyone who feels differently. But yeah, it must be us trying to cleanse the blog of a differing opinion.

• 32 DokToon // May 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

ibiza, good day to you too sir, and yes, we must :)

rain, no you havent been doing it wrong, try to move back to your home on whore island, and itll be better 😉

turkish, excuse me for trying to attempt some humor today, kryst….

• 33 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Shane…. it cant be as bad as the most recent home strip. All that red piping seemed to give it a pink hew. Please say they have put some blue back in it

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Markaccus…It does have a certain ring to it.

Tsunki…I’m colour blind, which button is, god the pressure, errmmmm…let’s try this on…….

Coffee is a good idea.

• 35 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Haha what the heck is going on? This is a football blog is it not? What’s with all the speeches!

On its knees indeed. Personally I’d guess that a few names have dropped off because the conversation is constantly the same, the arguments and inability to be allowed ur own opinion has gotten out of hand and because there is no news to talk about but hey I am all for blaming Ibiza and JfA

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hmm…cutting the word off early didn’t work there seeing as “on” is an actual word. Damn it all, can this day get any worse? :)

• 37 Alan_Pard_Who // May 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Ibiza

“Saved me having to scroll through the endless complaints.”

That is the level of post you have been using recently and I doubt I am the only one who thinks that you have become alien to what you were once.

Maybe the jokes of being on the fence means you have descended from its neutrality and you have taken sides.

Perhaps you are fed up with all the endless Pardew out complaints?

It doesn’t really matter as my point has been made.

People are welcome to repost as much as they want regarding interesting opinions of others but when this is used as a tool by a tool then it should be highlighted not supported, that is finding the middle ground you once camped in.

You will now think me a fool and will now perhaps chose to ignore me from now on as I have seemingly insulted your pride, but I speak for many who wish the old Ibiza would return, yet I am the only one who may say it.

Good luck and I shall return when I can.

• 38 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yo…Easy now, before you know it I will be accused of being Pardew and JFA being the fat man himself…whoops, the cats well and truly out of the bag now….

• 39 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Alan pard who wants to filter out ibizas filtering. If someone was to filter alan, then this blog would be like smirnof vodka…..TRIPPLE FILTERED! The purest blog vodka in the world. Blodka!

• 40 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I’m sitting in Newcastle airport and there is a distinct lack of black and white shirts among the holidaying families,the JD sports shop only has three pairs of Toon shorts left but a boat load of shirts displaying the wonga logo.

• 41 DokToon // May 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

(hears sirens screeching in the background, getting closer)

“oh noes, its the blog police, led by APW!!!’

damned coppers…

• 42 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

My god. The irony in alans posts has made me die 4 times now. Hahahahaha.

• 43 DokToon // May 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

mark,

i’ll take a gallon please kind sir :)

blodka, effin brilliant, lol

• 44 DxK // May 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I thought Mapou, Debuchy and Gouffran all played quite well on Sunday, they’ll all prove to be good signings in the long term.

Cabaye, Tiote and Cisse didn’t really get going, although Cisse is so isolated that it’s difficult to pin that on him completely. It’s obvious that three attacking players are needed – A legit right winger, a number ten and a striker. Plus even if Colo stays we could use another centre back and also a 2nd/3rd choice gk, such as Alex McCarthy of Reading (he’d be 2nd choice, pushing Krul for the top spot).

That would probably necessitate the sales of people like Tiote and the demotion to substitute of Jonas, alongside the obvious sales or releases of these guys;

Shola – £1m
    Harper – free
    Simpson – free
    Obertan – £1m
    Gosling – £500k
    Williamson – £1.5m
    Abeid – free
    Newton – free
    (Tiote – £10m)
    Amalfitano – £500k

Then I think as I say just spruce the squad up with McCarthy, Andy Carroll, Remy if he’s innocent of rape, either Wiemann or Redmond (Brum, RW) and Douglas on a free to beef up the back line.

The only issue with that would be that suddenly Messrs Cisse, Ben Arfa and S.Taylor would possibly be rotated.. I think with Hatem’s injury woes it might be a good idea to rest him in one out of every three matches, just to keep him fresh and protected from wear and tear.

Thoughts?

• 45 santonthenewmaldini // May 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Honestly this blog is getting pathetic you get better conversations about Newcastle on a Liverpool or Sunderland Blog these days…..

• 46 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Ibiza
    Hajj I think us both of stopped coming on here long ago if that were true!

• 47 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Alan…Once again, that is a comment i have used today. If it makes you happy I will trawl through the 200+ posts to make sure I didn’t miss anything else.

I’m glad you feel the point had been made, however it seems to have been lost with the rest of us.

Rotonda did try and warn me about losing credibility a few weeks ago, you must be on to something then.

I don’t think you a fool, I just think you’re guilty of doing what you’re accusing me of.

I like the idea of the old Ibiza coming back though, do you not remember me being one of the biggest Pardew supporters and a proud member of OV?

You may just find Alan, that I don’t think sack llambias is a tool. Glad you feel the authority to deem him one though so you can save the blog for us all.

Take it easy.

• 48 Rainrix // May 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Dok…. You look like a blueberry.

Markaccus…Your welcome, every blog killer deserves a award, especially with the current quality of ahem conversation :)

• 49 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM

DxK, do you reckon we would still get 10M for tiote? I think his stock has dropped radically this year.

• 50 Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand // May 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Well, this has been fun, must do it again sometime.

Best go do this check-out. Catch you later all.

• 51 DxK // May 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Markaccus – £10m might be a bit optimistic, I’m just thinking he might have enough previous for someone to take a punt. Maybe £8m or £7.5m would be nearer reality.

If Pardew really doesn’t rate Anita in that role there’s always Diame who seems to have the Demba Ba style release clauses and is constantly linked with £3.5m moves from the Hammers. Whether he would choose to join a club like Newcastle or not is another matter.

• 52 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

DxK
    Personally I’d keep both Tiote and Shola but the ins I can’t disagree with except Remy he burned us and I think he will stay in London

I’d like an out right winger brought in rather than him. Martens name has been branded about on here a lot recently sounds like a cracking player

• 53 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Think i might create a cocktail and name it ‘The blodka’. 2 parts vodka, 1 part bitter lemon (to represent bitter resentment) and one part banana liqueur (because some of the arguments in here are bananas!)

• 54 DxK // May 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

WWYCD – What would be an acceptable finish next season? I’d say top 8. Look at WBA this season. they were basically lousy from about February, but all the teams below were so inconsistent that nobody caught them up! It was a weak league this year, thankfully for Newcastle I’d say.

Next season can’t be such a shambles, I’m not at all convinced by this manager, as long as he’s in charge I’ll support him though. It could be a blip, although he could use a sidekick with shrewd tactical knowledge, it just seems very limited at the moment on that side. Maybe get Shay Given in as Assistant Manager/17th choice GK?!!

• 55 Shane's Silly Season Of Spectacularly Stupid Speculation // May 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

My girlfriend has just sent me a picture of the most ghastly yellow, floral pattern trousers she has purchased and this blog thinks it has problems?!

I’ve promptly told her to burn them, delete the photo and never speak of them again… I await her reply.

• 56 DxK // May 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Also, I can’t agree with keeping Shola – he stands for everything mediocre and sideways thinking at the club.. A Championship striker whose acceptance of never starting and place of birth mean that he stays at the club for 15+ years – what kind of testimonial would he warrant? A rainy day in Torquay perhaps. I like him as a person, but as a player he truly is the pits.

• 57 santonthenewmaldini // May 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM

We should sell Tiote he is never going to be good enough for us to progress he cant tackle, pass, shoot or keep himself fit what use is that to us?

If Pardew had stopped being such an arse and showed a bit of faith in Anita or Bigi and gave them a proper run in the team when Tiote or Jonas were out of form I think either one of them would be ahead in the pecking order as they both offer so much more with a football and they also work just as hard on the pitch

• 58 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Laters, Ibiza.

• 59 Mister Tuff // May 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Well there seems to be a couple of handbag fights on here today, with one or two accusations and insults being aimed at one another. I will attempt to offer some reasoning so all opposing parties will have some satisfaction. Well here we go:
    PERCY………………………………………..out
    RAFA…………………………………………..in
    COFFEE FILTERS………………………out
    BLIND FAITH BRIGADE………………out
    CRAP GROCERY STORE OWNER IN INDIA………..out
    ANGRY FAN………………………………. out
    HAPPY FAN………………………………..out
    IAN TOON + MULTIPLES……………out
    REPEAT POSTERS……………………out
    FENCE SITTERS……………………….out
    RASH DECISION MAKERS………..out.

Oh shit -that probably didn’t work there’s only me left on the blog.

• 60 hadthetshirt // May 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

We need a new Keeper.Krul not his best season.I think he was struggling long before his injury.His kicking and going down to his left seemed laboured.Not convinced with Elliott either.jonas and Tiote had bad season’s and wouldn’t be disappointed if they left.Every one saying we must keep Colo?.I don’t get that he wasn’t great yesterday,but is better than taylor.I think we need a good CB to partner Mbiwa.Taylor too many injuries and spends more time on his arse than a JCB driver.A better manager may bring the best out of some of the players and not play favourite buddies in front of more skilful players.How Marveaux didn’t start more games when fit is beyond me.He is a great passer of a ball unlike jonas.We got out of Jail this season,lets hope lesson’s have been learnt I doubt pardew will change though.

• 61 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

DxK
    Acceptable? Top 10 and a cup run (I just want to win something) would do me. Top 8 without a cup Id be happy with as well.

As for ur second paragraph I fully agree but don’t say such things do loudly it invites anger these days. Is Given still at Villa? Honestly have no idea where he is these days or what he does

• 62 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Shane… thats you on the sofa tonight! 😀

• 63 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Hang on mr tuff…

DECIDING WHO IS IN AD WHO IS OUTERS…..OUT

there you go, you are out too 😀

• 64 Shane's Silly Season Of Spectacularly Stupid Speculation // May 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Markaccus…

You have no idea how brilliant that reply is! Haha.

Last year I moved to the lake district with my then girlfriend, a nice little cottage in the hills, we got a dog, Spencer, was fab… After 5 months it went tits up and we broke up… i moved back to my hometown and unable to find a landlord that will agree to me having a dog i have been living on my dads sofa for 11 months now with Spencer!

😀

• 65 WWYCD // May 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

DxK
    As a player he isn’t the best but he’s a leader and he understands what it is to be a Newcastle man more so than Taylor imo that’s why I’d keep him in the squad

• 66 G // May 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Anybody else just glad that horrible season is over? Me, I’m just trying to relax now, and hope things go better next season. August cant come soon enough for me. For what it’s worth, I don’t want AP to be in charge next season, however, that isn’t my choice, and it looks like the decision has been made that he stays. I have lost faith in him, but hopefully he will prove me wrong, and part of me hopes he does. We deffo need a little more strengh in the squad, and hopefully the powers in charge will not only recognise, but address that. The noises being made at the club are saying we are looking to add, however, it’s worth noticing that season ticket renewals are going on now, and that wouldn’t be an unusual tactic for any football club to exploit that as marketing. Roll on next season, lets have a better team, and a more positive vibe about being a toon fan.

• 67 Markaccus // May 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Oh fk. Sorry about that shane. Excuse me while i remove my foot from my big blog-gob! 😀

• 68 ilovetoon8788 // May 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I expect Tiote to leave this summer. And Cabaye and Cisse as well. But Tiote performance this season means we maybe not even get 15 million for him. But i think he might do great under a better manager. Maybe morinho at Chelsea.

• 69 fatash // May 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM

hadtheshirt
    We can probably get Harper on a free if hw would sign

• 70 hadthetshirt // May 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

@69 lol
    He was very emotional yesterday,showed how much the club meant to him.He could have played for England if he had left when Shay was in his hay day.We need another though.Mind pardew has chance to put Cisse there as he plays him every where but striker.Or jonas maybe coz he will never leave him out.:o)

• 71 danuneek // May 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Beattie

Regarding Mbiwa playing at left back, I hate to say it but I TOLD YOU SO 😉

• 72 nufc 11 // May 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM

A heard an interesting rummur last night that MA and DL were spotted having lunch with Pat Viera in London yesth afternoon he is french and knows the PL inside out this one could have legs……

previous post: Newcastle Need Two Players In Quickly This Summer