Newcastle Get £45M From Premier League – £9M Less Than Last Year

The money each club got in the Premier League for last season has just been released, and Newcastle are in 13th place with £45,168,771 – approximately – but this is  more than £9M less than we received last season, when we finished in 5th place in the league. We had forecast last week that would be around £8.8M.

That’s a little more than we bid for Loic Remy in January.

barclays-premier-league-logo

The payments given to each club  are split into several categories, and one is based on where the club finished in the league table (merit payment) , how many times a club has their game on TV live (facility fees), and the international TV money is split evenly among each club – and this season it was around £33M for each PL club.

And as we have said before, each place in the Premier League is worth around £800K.

Here is the table of which clubs received what – and Newcastle are in 13th place, three places higher than their place in the league,  because of having many of  our games filmed live.

placement

Newcastle are down about £9M from what we received last season – which was £54.2M for our 5th place finish in the league, and in the money table we finished in 8th place – compared to 13th place this season.

The reason there was so much clamoring going on to stay in the Premier League for next season, is that the money goes up big time starting next season.

Next season the Champions will receive around £100M and the bottom club will receive around £60M – which is what the top club received this season.

Newcastle’s revenues through the financial year to June 2012, were just over £93M, but for next season that figure is likely to rise significantly, and that’s for two major reasons.

One if the extra money we will be getting from the Wonga shirts deal, and then maybe £20M more from the Premier League than this season, depending on what position we finish in the league table.

If we have a good finish next season – say around 6th place – we could get £75M from the Premier League, which is why Mike Ashley, Derek LLambias,  Alan Pardew and others were so mightily relieved when we beat QPR and secured our safety.

We missed out on money this season because of our poor performance in the league, and the amount we will get from the Europa League is a pittance, but we’re in the Premier League next season, when the average amount for each team will rise about £20M.

The Premier League is a big money global business now, in case you hadn’t noticed.

As long as Newcastle are there – we don’t mind. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Plenty to get rid of Pardew, bring in a new manager and P.E.A / Gameiro, Sakho and Belhanda

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Ashley will be crying in his beer

• Griff-toon

May 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM

repost from last thread

ToonDownSouth

I agree with you. I also think its harder for a fullback to adjust to the pace of the game because they are up against the faster wingers of other teams.

Debuchy is better going forward and will be better defencively next season, im sure of it

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

hearing rumours stoke may fire Pulis. surely that’s where Pardew (and carrol) should be.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Spoof, Re post
    -20million? You sure on that? Even if it were the case, not many received 35million from 1 player. Maybe look at the quality of player in and out instead of amount spent

• discrepancia

May 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

PEA to Borussia
    PSG in for Benitez today i read

• saxonfenken

May 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Rotonda
    You have a bad memory, my friend, oh! by the way I do not hate you I do not even know you. But your words, ( you do not like me very much) big deal I will lose some sleep tonight over that.
    Now what did you say when talking about the German teams, unlike my Saxon Friends from Germany, my reply was, my ancestry is Northumbrian Danish, and please do not jump to conclusions. now answer my question, Which team do you manage with all your coaching badges.
    In fact I am a very happy person, I have my own home, food in my belly, a wonderful wife, and have had the privilege of seeing my beloved team win three FA Cups
    now answer my question with all these Fa Coaching badges you have got, how many teams have you managed

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I don’t think PEA will happen, i’d like to see:
    bony 10M
    menez 8M (should ben arfa leave)
    Capoue 12M
    alderweireld 9M
    siem de jong 7M (should cabaye leave)
    sakho 10M

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Pardew for stoke

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Spoof,
    Just checked that figure you posted. It is actually -5million spend, but taking out the Carroll sale it is +30 million. The quality of player is virtually incomparable. He has been well backed in terms of players, just not always at the right time.

For example, in Season 11/12 we sold/allowed to leave Nolan, Enrique, Barton, Routledge, Tozer, Leadbitter and Mclaughlin.

We signed Abeid, Marveaux, Cabaye, Santon, Obertan, Ba, Cisse and Elliot

• AMEOBI

May 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Best of luck getting 25M for Cabaye and Ben Arfa each.. think we’d be lucky to get 30 for both. Going to be an interesting week, personally I’d want Pardew to stay but not too bothered think a new manager could be the upbeat for our squad.

• Hatem's better than Messi

May 21, 2013 at 2:29 PM

9M down on last year … how much does a decent manager cost?

• saxonfenken

May 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

so long folks

• Transfer Sage

May 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

net spend is not as important as gross spend

gross spend is what lets you see number and quality better.

Arsenal have a lower net spend to us yet have spent 80mil over the last 2 years

• Griff-toon

May 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Rotonda heights

Yes we have talked a lot about last season and we dont have to analyse it all again. A lot of different things happened and we got the rub of the green a lot.

I remember a lot of people saying Pardew was right in easing Hatem in and that he had also made him a better player defencively? And he had a realy good end of season. But I remember beeing frustrated he didnt get more playtime earlier. Raylor was i might add a big part of our unbeaten run at the start of the season.

Funny thing this about Pardews stats showing he has been found out at other clubs and always taken clubs down after a good spell.

A lot off people here saying all stats are uninformative? How is this any different?

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM

AMEOBI, well if we were able to get 35M for an almost unproven half season wonder in carroll, i hope we could get 25M for each, ashley is unlikely to let cabaye leave for less as he is his favourite player, but ben arfa could go down to 20M, it depends on who’s buying, a money bags club like PSG offer 25M for ben arfa no problem.

• Mag.no

May 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Logging off to celebrate my brothers birthday. He said his biggest wish was Benitez. Now that would be a great birthday gift, and i do want the best for him, so… make his day special Ashley 🙂

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Saxon

I honestly have no recollection of ever calling you a Saxon from Germany. I am sure you have me mistaken for someone else. And when I have ever said I didn’t like you?

I would hope you don’t hate me. Hate is a very strong emotion.

I don’t manage a team. I run a sports tours company as well as some coaching with the England ladies team

That is all subjective.

Many people have badges and a lot of experience but that doesn’t make them good managers if their mindset is completely closed to anything else.

SAF has no coaching qualifications at all.

I am a customer and fan of NUFC and I want to watch good football. I can take losing as long as it appears as if we are on the right track and have some kind of plan in place.

I don’t want to see negative boring hoof ball with 10 men in their own half for long periods. I want to see one-twos, overlapping, movement beyond the man with the ball, supporting triangles etc.

You are right I am sad and very depressed with Pardew and Llambias. I am not sure why you are looking to wind up your fellow fans?

VIERA VIERA !!

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Napoli have denied benitez rumours

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM

rotunda

will you be posting any comments that dont either start with or end with an insult to the man who is still our manager? i might start voicing the same opinion over and over in my comments too.

id like it known that in my opinion a steak cooked any further than medium rare is a waste of meat

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

May 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Saxon

You’re thinking of Solano, it was solano who made the “Saxon from Germany” quip. Which you then proceeded to take the wrong end of the stick.

Don’t worry folks, the blog police are watching…

• SuperShearer

May 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

For many years my friends have been telling me that as Newcastle fans we expect too much from a club that has not got the income of the big boys. That we’re not as ‘Big’ as we think we are. And then I find these stats showing us to have the 8th highest average attendance level in Europe. I have to therefore ask, why are we unable to do what those clubs of similar support are doing? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22541130

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

griff

too much of a coincidence to nearly relegate 3 teams and have 2 record losing streaks at 2 different clubs.

• Spoof

May 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

LG
    No, I’m not to sure, thats why I feel it would be an interesting table, certainly the top clubs have spent more, Sunderland have, without a doubt QPR have, sorry forget QPR, they’re Championship, extend the spend/gain table to those who have been in the Prem during Pardew’s Newcastle reign
    Since Pardew came, first window Carroll, second window, Nolan/Enrique compared to Cabaye/Santon, third Cisse, forth Best/Forster compared to Anita and the fifth and final Ba compared to Sissokho/Haidara/Gouffran/Mbiwa and Debuchy, obviously I have not included any free’s, either coming in or going out, and their will be others which I have not mentioned, but if a total of all was compiled it would be interesting to see what restraints, if any that Pardew has had to work under
    Pardew does seem to be the popular topic of late, such a table could be another hammer blow, or another defence, could be of interest to the Pardew debate.

• catchy in norway

May 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Spoof

yeh i know what you mean,, my boss is the same,, i watched it alone to,, but i think she may have watched it to, its not a bad story,, but it is a guys film,, bit like rocky haha

yeh, the only good thing about sunday for me was harper,, i used to watch him a lot in the reserves,, and while i know it is only reserve football, i thought he could have been beeter than shay,, i thought shay was great,, but harper was more vocal,,,

i actually think harper is better than elliotte,, mind you if harper feels like me after a kick about wit the kids,, would he want another season,, phewww i feel it, still got the skill but carnt move as quick, and the next day, 🙁 grrrr

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Cheers Ruddy

I thought I was going mad. amazing how many times in my life I’ve got the blame for others !!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I’m fairly certain Viera has just taken up a new position within Manchester City, he was appointed 4 days ago as the Head of the Elite Development squad at Man City, replacing Attilio Lombardo. Think someone is on the wind up here

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Sean

In a word NO

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Lilo

They may just be canvassing his opinion.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

• Rotonda heights

May 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Sean

I hate Pardew

I had always had steak medium, but the last two that I have had have been medium rare and the difference – OMG to die for!!

Pardew OUT!!!

• lesh

May 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Surely Ashley realises that success brings success and that a shortfall of £3.8m against budget (10th spot budgeted, 16th achieved) is hardly a figure to be sniffed at.

Surely the buck must rest with Llambias for his lack of foresight during the summer when investment was needed and Pardew for his inability to get the best out of a squad of talent available to him.

Such management failures cannot surely be acceptable and changes must be made if Ashley wants to improve things.

• Griff-toon

May 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Rotonda heights

Its just strikes me as funny how some people are saying stats are wrong (f.eks Simpsons good defender stats), however this stat is very usefull because it shows something negative about Pardew.

I think it was Catchy who talked down the use of stats. Would like to know what he thinks about this stat.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

TS – my point with transfers is that we really shouldn’t need that much. Those wishing for a massive spending spree are dreaming. The best we can hope for as a first team starter would be a striker unless someone leaves. But I know we’ll sign a few more youngsters to push the first 11.

Markaccus – I forgot about Goofy actually, but I think we’re aligned. If you replace Carroll with Goofy there then Goofy and Ben Arfa can support Cisse. I thought this was the formation we were supposed to be playing this season to be honest, but it didn’t seem to be the case when they got onto the pitch…

Munster Mag – If Pards wants to go back to 4-4-2, then he’s left it a little late with his signings! Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, Tiote competing for 2 slots in midfield? With Ben Arfa added to that list or shoved out to the wing. Nah. We’ve only got one winger, we’d need to sign 2 more if we wanted to do that and there aren’t many clubs who do that these days anyway.

• Thump

May 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Please don’t be fake, please don’t be fake, please don’t be fake

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

what would people’s opinion be on a swap deal, ben arfa to PSG with menez and sakho coming over here, nen area is inconsistent and injury prone, we all want sakho, and watch a video of menez and he looks amazing

• Tsunki

May 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM

MA – So, Alan, ‘just a few tweaks’ thats a comfort ((taps calculator keys) soooo….this year, sans tweaks ha ha…
    AP -(laughs nervous;y) ha ha yeah tweaks yeah ha ha…
    MA – ….this year, er… you’ve cost us ooooh I dunno lets start at £10m shall we…..

– how does the rest of that conversation go? 😐

• Tsunki

May 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Thump – don’t fall for it mate, there is only disappointment at the bottom of that barrel. And some other stuff.

• Newcastle Brown Alien

May 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM

ben arfa not nen area, predictive text is a ballbag