Newcastle Turn A Negative Into A Positive In Brilliant Style

There was a black mark made by some Newcastle United fans at the Premier League fixture at Wigan Athletic in March, when the fans invaded the game being played by Wigan Cosmos and Goose Green FC near the DW Stadium, and the goal posts were torn down by the idiots, and the game had to finally be abandoned.

After that happened, many fans sent money and letters of apology to the clubs, and Newcastle United invited them to play a game at St. James’ Park on Monday and Wigan won the game 2-0 in a closely fought contest.

Not only that, but Newcastle ensured the two clubs were not out of pocket for the rampage, and really have turned what was a big negative into a positive.

John Pendlebury, manager of Wigan Cosmos, had this to say:

“You would never want what happened to happen to your club but there couldn’t have been a better outcome. For me and the players to be here is mind-blowing.”

“The support we have had from the Geordie public is phenomenal. I don’t think any other club in the country would’ve responded the way Newcastle United and its fans have.”

We exchanged emails a few times with John, and he was delighted with the response of the Newcastle fans themselves, and the donations the fans gave from their own pockets to try to put things right.

Colin Clark, manager of Goose Green FC had this to say:

“To bring my team here is just fantastic. Some people never get the chance to come to a ground like this.” “The way Newcastle United have dealt with us has been absolutely first class.”

“Everything that’s been done for us and that has been arranged has been brilliant.”

A Newcastle United spokesperson had this to say:

“It was extremely disappointing to hear about the incidents which affected both clubs prior to our fixture at the DW Stadium in March.”

“These are clubs which exist because of the hard work and dedication of volunteers and they deserve the same respect as any other club, whether professional or at grassroots level.”

“We are delighted that the clubs accepted our invitation to visit us and play at St. James’ Park and we wish them every success for next season and beyond.”

It’s been a simply brilliant response from both fans and the club itself.

Well done to everybody involved in this recovery, and let’s not have any more rampages at away games – please.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

============================================

• ProudNUFCfan

May 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

True football spirit! I would personally like to see more of these charity runs from newcastle and all over the world i football!

• tom68

May 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM

The powers that be at Newcastle do an awful lot wrong but this was a very good gesture. Pure class from the geordie public sending in donations.

We need a hell of a lot more positive publicity like this.

• Charlietoon

May 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Just read in the Guardian that Louise Taylor put us beating Chelsea as her favourite match of the season. Almost fell of my chair to see positive words about us come out that trap.

• Thump

May 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Whese Keys Louise is being positive about us…? I don’t trust this one little bit.

• chris_g

May 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Ed writes:
    “It’s been a simply brilliant response from both fans and the club itself.”

Well, yes, it certainly was a brilliant response by the fans, but it’s worth remembering that the initial response from the club was anything but brilliant.

It looks like Ed has lifted this story (and copied and pasted all these quotes) from an article in the official club site which stated
    “After being made aware of the incident, Newcastle United officials not only stepped in to ensure both clubs were not out of pocket, but also invited the sides to the North East to play against one another on the St. James’ Park pitch less than 24 hours after the Magpies’ final game of the season against Arsenal”

That is totally misleading, because after being made aware of the incident, a Newcastle United representative told Wigan Cosmos that their club would NOT be reimbursed for the damage (by the Newcastle fans) to the nets, corner flags or for a replacement ball, and that response was widely circulated in all the media:
    That’s the reason why so many of our fans sent in their donations. It wasn’t just because they were ashamed of the action of those hooligans. It was also because they were ashamed that our club didn’t seem to be prepared to do anything to help. It was only later that the powers that be at SJP had a change of heart, and set the propaganda machine in motion.

• lesh

May 21, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Charlietoon, Ms Taylor has been very positive about us for some time now and gave a good account of Sundays game. Maybe she’s seen the light?

In fact the Grauniad had Harper in their team of the weekend.

• lesh

May 21, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Yet a cynic Thump!

• roshan MAGPIE

May 21, 2013 at 4:19 AM

another day and pardew is still here damm when will that review takes place

• LEROI

May 21, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Since pardew is lookin for prem experience what about darren bent on the cheap since villa want rid? 29 a bit old but he’s guaranteed at least 10 goals a season?

• gonufc (not Arf' bad)

May 21, 2013 at 4:56 AM

I’m really wary about Llambias coming out and stating we’ve had a financial loss this season: sounds like he’s getting excuses in early for not spending any money.

Simpson is almost certainly out (he stated this), and I expect a few more will leave as well which would be good but I worry that all we’ll be getting in is mediocre journeymen like we often seem to.

Another Shefki Kuqi will be an utter insult after how pathetically abysmal performances have been.

Results are obviously a massive concern but even more so the just the complete lack of any real good performances all season!!

There seems to be no cohesion or understanding between the players- and it was like that before January so new signings gelling is no excuse.

They’re either directly told to hoof or have so little trust in each others’ teamwork that they just do it.

And these 5- 10 10/15 yard passes between the back four before a massive lump upfield is NOT passing football Alan!

• gonufc (not Arf' bad)

May 21, 2013 at 4:59 AM

(sorry for double post!)
    @Leroi – Please, please no!! He’s so, so poor outside the box and his finishing is far worse than people seem to say.

He misses loads of chances for every tap in he scores and one on one is incredibly bad.

That and the fact he’s on massive wages at Villa! He’d never be a bargain.

We already have an out and out poacher at the club in Cisse and he is 10x the player Bent is.

• peaco1980

May 21, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Cock Piss Pardew.

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Have to agree with previous comment on bent like, he also strikes me as a bit of a money over passion type player, plus he doesn’t fit into any of the brackets of our transfer policy. If we are yo poach any players from villa id say weimann or benteke but I imagine the latter costing more than we would pay, not to mention hes probably attracted some big clubs this season mirroring Ba… bet he doesn’t have a release clause mind.

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Any 1 knows whether this dressing room unrest is because of pardew or something else?

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Sean,
    Bet Benteke also doesn’t have a gammy knee that saw him fail medicals before signing for Villa. The release clause was there as he was on a structured pay deal that saw him lose out if anything went wrong. Without it, he wouldn’t have joined, so would that have been the better option?

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Indian,
    What is this about dressing room unrest? Not read that anywhere other than from Luke Edwards, who is about as clued up as Lee Ryder after a night in Blu Bambu.

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Woah lilong, I wasn’t knocking the clause we got a good two seasons out of him n it was a gamble which hasnt really paid off, thats how these things go sometimes, was mearly saying I bet we couldn’t get benteke on the cheap.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Sean,
    Apologies, I thought you were just using it as a stick to beat the club with. The board can’t get anything right for some people, and I get a bit fed up of them being given stick when it isn’t appropriate. When they have done something wrong, fine, but people are so blinded by their dislike nothing is right.

Apologies again.

On Benteke, they won’t lose him ‘cheap’, but they paid 9million for him last year, and he wants a bumper pay deal, or to be sold. Whether they will get more than 15mill is debatable, which would mean same profit as we got on Ba.

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Lilongwe im in the same boat, I dont post much anymore because it tends to end with a gang of people telling me why im an idiot and wrong because I have a varying opinion to them. So are you pro pardew, neutral or as most seem to want, get rid? Or rather not be drawn into a category? Lol. The thing that annoys me the most is people passing off tripe with the word fact when the facts are easily obtained

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Sean,
    Tough question. The season has been a catalogue of errors from top to bottom. Blaming everything on one man is unfair.

The board didn’t buy the required players last summer, but at the same time, the coaching staff must have been confident in the youngsters to a degree, so it has been badly judged by both parties. I think one problem is Beardsley is very pro Mike Ashley, so when Mike says “these youngsters are good enough to play first team next year?” Beardsley will agree as he has 100% bought into Ashleys vision.

As for Pardew, when we got the new signings in January, I was prepared to let him continue. I felt he deserved a chance after last season, and that with 5 new players we would see an improvement. Initially, we did, but it soon descended to the level of play, and lower on a couple of occasions, that we had seen earlier in the season. Tactically, he has made wrong calls, all managers do, but he regularly makes the same ones. My dilemma is, if as some want, we give him the start of next year and things don’t improve, we have wasted a year. If we can get a top quality manager in, then we should do it.

The entire coaching staff needs bulking up and improving though, and whether itis Pards choice, or Ashleys to have such a small pool of coaches, who knows.

As for the blog, I had a look on yesterday, and some of the posts, and the self obsessed bickering was just pointless. It is annoying when it is like that, as some people post some good and inciteful opinions, that both agree and disagree with my own.

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

This is just My opinion, We could have bought Ronldo and messi, Pardew would have still played the same way.

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

1 question, since you are from Newcastle (or it seems that way)

Is lee ryder not trustworthy? his news reporting i.e.

• 89Norcal

May 21, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Lilongwe,

Dont even think we had that high confidence in the youngsters, it was more out of necessity considering we were top of the premier league injury table by a few points for a long stretch.

Some of the youngsters need to get a hard look to decide if they are up to snuff.

• Jackel001

May 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I have a feeling we may be hearing something in the next 48 hours whether he has been given his P45 or if we have to endure the playing style all…over…again.

• TorqToon

May 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Indian – Lee Ryder will report what the club want him to report, and if the club haven’t told him what to say, he will make it up to try and sell papers!

He makes out he is a favourite of the club, but in reality he knows little more than you or I.

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Lilongwe

I wouldn’t say I was pro pardew, didn’t particularly want him in the first place, but I admit the lofty heights we achieved last season won me over. Iv never been a fan of chopping and changing managers as soon as things go south so at the minute id have to say im neutral, but unfortunately much like you with me earlier I find myself trying to come to his rescue due to the over the top bashing he receives.

I agree totally with bulking the staff and I dont really rate carver beyond loyalty that boarders on insanity when it comes to the players, im not sure about peter B, I met him once and other than that I couldn’t really judge him as I admit I dont know much about his loyalty to MA.

What do you think we need in the summer then?

• Jackel001

May 21, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Ohh and for anyone who thinks Pardew is “doing a good job” or “his best” take a couple of seconds to have a look at this.. http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/alan-pardew-and-newcastle-united-stack-up-the-records/

• 89Norcal

May 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM

SeanNufc87

I’m in the same boat as you.

Jackel001

Like Lilongwe said, can’t levy the blame onto 1 person, it’s spread across the club.

Just like some believe last season was a fluke for Pardew, this season was equally absurd.

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Jackel001

Is that more hope than based on anything or have you heard something iv yet to?

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Forget about Injuries/Suspensions and Europa for a minute.

The fundamentals of Pardew’s management are all wrong! the style of play, the players he selects the positions in which he plays them.

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 7:53 AM

The thing is, there’s always going to be varying opinions, thats expected and welcomed in most cases, its the way people relay they’re own opinion on others that gets people riled up. Theres many stats both for n against, listen to all of them or you cant make an informed judgement now can you…

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Indian

Go into more detail as to where he is failing in these aspects?

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Good morning all,

As much of a let down this season has been and considering how desperate I was for it to finish, I find myself already missing the prospect of games. Definitely sick in the head 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Indian,
    I wouldn’t trust Lee Ryder as far as I could throw him (and I’m not a big lad). Fair enough if it is just your opinion. Something seems to be wrong, but I wouldn’t say it is as straight forward as Pardew vs the team.

Sean,
    Carver I like as a bloke, but isn’t a top class coach. Stone offers nothing at all. In someones autobiography, they recounted Stone’s first England training session, and said the coach asked him to try doing a trick, Stone replied I don’t do tricks, I just kick the ball past them and run. Not great coaching material. At the complete opposite end of the spectrum is Beardsley who had a natural gift, and never ‘learned’ how he did what he did. If you have never learned it, it is difficult to teach, and for something that comes so naturally to him, it frustrates him when someone else can’t do it. This has led to internal investigations against him previously and young players leaving when this frustration has boiled over.

In terms of what we need, about 5 new coaches, implementing a policy of loaning out our top youngsters at 18, not 21, so that by 21 they are premiership ready. A Sporting Director who an oversee the implementation of a strategy and style of play from juniors to first team, so that we are all on the same page. For me, these are more important then new signings, this would set us up for long term success.

On the playing side, 2 strikers, or 1 out and out, and one who can play as a wide attacker and striker. A centre back, 2 if Colo leaves. Wingers, or wide midfielders who can cross a ball. Then bulk up the development squad with promising talent.

Norcal,
    If they are 21 and they have played league 1/Scottish Prem for the first time, chances are they won’t make it. Sammi couldn’t cut it at top level or championship. If we get new wide players in, then that is Fergie off as his route to first team is blocked.

• Jackel001

May 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Sean

More hope tbh haha but there apparently is a meeting between MA and Pardew today..

• SeanNufc87

May 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Morning ibiza

I agree, having a bbq for champs final as a last hurrah for my football until summer

• Mag.no

May 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM

It’s not our 16th place that bothers me actually. It’s the current football philosophy or lack of it that worries me the most.

5th and 16th set aside(both misleading perhaps), there is just poor football left. Pardew is ancient and out of date, and besides 5-6 good games last year we have been cr@p since he took the job.

You can not build a football team based on cowardice!

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

May 21, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Sean…Oh yeah, CL final this weekend!

Who does everyone want to win and think will win?

I want Dortmund, but think Bayern will win it.

• TorqToon

May 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Ibiza – There’s something wrong with you my friend! 🙂 Why would you miss the stress, anger, worry and torment of a Newcastle United match day???

Although in fairness….I miss it too!! Is rgis what self harm feels like?

Quick question, many people seem to want pardew out, I would also, but only if a better, more modern edged manager would replace.

Would everybody be glad to see the back of pards at any cost??

Because if we aren’t able to upgrade on him with a proven manager, then surely it’s better the devil you know…