Newcastle Striker Could Ask For A Transfer

We noticed this year that Shola Ameobi got very little playing time under Alan Pardew, even though we were short of strikers and didn’t replace Demba Ba in January, after he joined Chelsea.

shola ameobi hand on head

Shola Ameobi – could ask for a transfer this summer

Shola signed a three year contract just after Alan Pardew arrived two years ago, and it runs out next summer.

Newcastle have apparently already offered the local lad an extension to that deal, but it seems he is mulling over his options.

Alan Pardew had met with Shola last week to ask him what his intentions were, and it seems ironic if Shola decides he wants to move on,  when the Newcastle manager is trying to bring players with Premier League experience into the club this summer.

Papiss Cisse and Shola Ameobi were the only two recognised strikers at the club after Demba Ba left, although Yoan Gouffran can play there, and we have 18 year-old Adam Campbell quickly coming through the ranks.

If Ameobi does ask for a move with 12 months remaining on his contract,  we think Newcastle would be willing to let the local striker leave, and we’ll have to bring in yet another striker.

Shola also has a poor record with injuries,  and when he was introduced in the second half at West Brom he injured his knee, and was out for the season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• hotdog

May 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

REPOST 32hotdog // May 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Rotonda – how exactly would that go? Packing in Newcastle after following them for 50 years!

• toonarmydownsouth

May 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

33toonarmydownsouth // May 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Rotonda
    That’s your choice mate, you’ve probably spent thousands on following the toon, but I’d hope you had the sense to think that those who still follow aren’t real fans!

• toonarmydownsouth

May 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Not saying shoals a world beater, but if he goes we have cisse and Campbell…….,
    3 more CF’s needed if shola goes

• 89Norcal

May 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

To be totally honest it would probably be Championship football for Shola, who would take him in the EPL except for absolute peanuts?

• TorqToon

May 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

TADS – don’t waste your breath mate! true fans might SAY they will stop supporting this team…but they never will!!

Plastic fans who walk away and find a ‘re and better club’ we’re never true toon fans to begin with.

• Spreadthetoon

May 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

repost

Well MA & DL have backed AP……well I hope they made it clear that a repeat of last season will not be tolerated……I hope. So the owners have backed the mgr so there is no where to go with this for now….so posters writing “PARDEW OUT” are clearly wasting there time and energy posting it….it ain’t gonna happen or at least it ain’t gonna happen now.

So I guess the main thing is now the transfer window and the relaxation of summer. Personally I’d like to see us move quickly in the market, show ambition and signal to the other players that NUFC mean business. It will settle players in quickly and also assure our existing players that NUFC wanna go places. I want us to sign these 3 players without any departees…..other than perhaps Jonas (who’s been great for the club but is past his best), and bring in the following, in this priority:-

1.Siem De Yong
    2.Jermaine Lens
    3.PEA

Do that….and we’re in business for nxt season! HWTL

• Indian Magpie

May 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM

So long shola

Go ruin someone else now, if you can find some 1

Take your inept brother with you too please

• 89Norcal

May 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Don’t think we would offload Jonas.

Pardew is clinging to his out-dated philosophy regarding Jonas: that NUFC fans will support him unconditionally as long as he runs his ass off every game.

I got the chills when I saw Pardew congratulating him at half-time in the Chelsea game, when he scored that header. The bad kind of chills btw.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Torq
    No arguments here mate!!
    Any news mate? I’d like to see us really revamp the development squad this season
    Maybe with harps leaving it will pave the way for that beast of a lad from Toulouse?

• Wayayman

May 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Ok, anyone disputing or on the fence about Pardew’s ability as a top level manager/coach think about this…

You can agree with his excuses about the Europa lge draining our tiny, teeny-weeny squad, but bear in mind that in the group games we never started the same 11 as we did on the saturdays either side of the europa games. Hell, we pretty much changed the full team.

You can argue about injuries, moaning that any team in the league would have been as badly affected by injuries to their top players. But hang on, most teams have had injuries to contend with at some point. e’re the only ones who seem to consistently get injuries to our best players (Collo, Krul, Hatem, Cabaye, Marveaux, Shola. Ok, maybe not Shola…
    So we need to ask ourselves WHY do we get these reoccurring problems? Clearly, the medical staff are inept. Or, does the manger rush the players back too early ???

You could also whinge about your top scorer leaving mid-season. But then again if we were flying as high as we were last season, and the coaching was top class, producing the style of football we all (footballers included) crave, would that top striker have wanted to leave?

You might look at the fact that Cabaye, Tiote, Hatem, Jonas have all had seasons as bad as they were brilliant last time round. Or you could put it down to the fact that last year we were one of the luckiest teams in the league and every one of out players were on top form at the same time making the team almost pick itself. Players in good mental states play better than ones with clouds hanging over them.

But what you can never ever argue with are the facts. That Pardew’s substitutions are beyond baffling – replacing one player with an inferior one in the exact position, or bringing off a well perfoming left back and moving an ineffective LM/CM back to left back, and bringing on a DM in their place while we are LOSING.
    Or bringing off players who can unlock the door (Ben Arfa(, or ones who run all day for you (Goofy) and replace them with Shola.

Or just by never ever subbing Jonas who looks a shadow of the player he was for us.

Like has been said many times on this blog, Pardew has barley a plan A let alone a plan B or C.

Watching the tactically aware managers move things around DURING game. I remember this past season watching Spurs all over Man C and on the half hour Mancini took off his left back and replaced him with an attacking midfielder, going 3 at the back till half time. The turn around was instant. He didn’t sit back and hope to get to half time still level, he saw the problem and rectified it by putting the oppo under some offensive pressure. Sadly, we’ll never have a manager who understands a game like that. Not for the next 7 years anyway.

• sirjasontoon

May 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Good Riddance.
    Proper Shit and so is Sammy.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Gutted.

• alex84

May 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Torq,
    Hi, never spoke before on here but admire your stance to stay positive.

I for one have tried to give Pardew a chance this season, even argued with Catchy, but after what we have witnessed this season do you not think we could be in for more of the same, Pardew’s managerial career pans out the same at every club he has been at, he has not learnt at all from previous mistakes, I will support the players and club as always but I can not support a manager who has a philosophy that would make Don Howe like he coaches Barca players

• Spreadthetoon

May 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Shola’s been a legend……but he missed the opportunity of a ACON medal and the experience and confidence that would have given him.
    Shola’s been loyal to this club for many a year despite loads of “fans” slating him. I think Shola should make a move to another club cos’ for whatever reason he doesn’t seem to fit the mould irrespective of the manager. I.E. Serveral managers have never chosen him as an out and out striker game in game out. Shola’s not getting any younger so he may as well play somewhere else and continue to enjoy his footy!

• 89Norcal

May 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Wayayman

That’s basically my views atm. In terms of managerial faults, Pardew does himself no favors with his subs, but a few times he’s taken chances or set up tactics that paid off.

That’s one of the things keeping me neutral. But if his tactics don’t improve with a clean slate I would like him gone. But I’ll support him until then because having the monumental hatred of the Geordie nation on your back is a major disadvantage to begin with.

• Indian Magpie

May 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Nigeria would never have won the AcoN if this donkey was in there team

• toonarmydownsouth

May 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Spread
    Well said mate
    Sad to see all the legends leaving, an end of an era!

• Offkey

May 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Chris Kamara ?@chris_kammy 1h
    On my way to St James’s Park, I have a meeting with Mike Ashley it could be a long one!!! Not sure if cutting the grass is my forte #whatis?

What do you make of this?

• Spreadthetoon

May 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM

TADS
    Ey don’t get emotional TADS…..we’ve still got AP…………….he’s “special” and a “legend” in his own right! LOL 🙂

• 89Norcal

May 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Indian “Magpie”

stop b**ching. You’re starting to trip off my mackem radar honestly man..

there are some truly epic trolls on the internets after all.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Offkey
    Unnnbelliiiiieeeevvvaaaabbbbllleee

• toonarmydownsouth

May 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Spread
    Lol!

• jordijohnty

May 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

right, lets get this straight. Pardew stays. his dire football will get him sacked before xmas. then what? who would we get as a replacement half way through the season when anyone decent will already be tied up on a long term contract? you couldnt make this sh+t up!

• Hatem's better than Messi

May 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Can’t see anyone wanting him.

His strike rate is poor.
    His injury record isn’t good. He rarely plays two or three matches before injury strikes.

He hasn’t the stamina to keep on making runs, so he strolls around, usually offside.

We’re stuck.
    Contract extension, you have to be joking.

• Rotonda heights

May 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

First good headline in ages.

Hotdog

Giving up is easier said than done but I think my long suffering girlfriend, friends etc would be delighted as I think my pessemistic and depressing personality is heavily linked to supporting NUFC. I really think it could be as simple as that! Supporting NUFC should come with a mental health warning!!.

Torq

I think many people feel quite correctly that short term pain for long term gain in the form of a boycott is perhaps the only thing that may effect change.

A couple of matches with empty stadiums would concentrate Ashley’s mind considerably in a way nothing else would. Either that or continued mediocrity for the foreseeable.

I have supported some of Ashley’s initiatives. You don’t get to be a double billionaire by not implementing some good ideas and concepts.

But the combined effect of having a creep of a chairman, an inadequate of a manager, a lack of fit and proper medical and fitness staff gives the impression of jobs of the boys and a total lack of professionalism, compounded by a controversial sponsor it doesn’t paint a particularly appealing picture.

• stuart no9

May 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

TADS — you said – i said – real fans should stop supporting the team – sorry i didnt say that! if someone else said that , not my fault , but to blame me for another persons quote – is a bit out of order , dont you think , if you want to pick an argument with me , thats fine – all for that , but make sure i said it first !

• TorqToon

May 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Morning Alex.

I completely agree with your stance on pardew. But I think that he can be the easiest option to blame. He has been at fault, and tactically is poor more often than not. However I also believe his coaching staff have been inept. If pardew is to stay, I would completely revamp our coaching setup and get rid of our antiquated staff and replace with modern continental coaches and coaching styles.

TADS – As far as updates go mate. I’m hearing more and more about Siem de jong his apparent interest in this football club. Everybody knows our confirmed interest in PEA and we are I’m constant contact with his agents to try and hash things out.

Yes he has been linked with Dortmund, but he is more keen on England than he is Germany. Plus he is a fan of pardew and has extremely close friends already in our squad.

So who knows?!?

Belhanda still would love to come to us, as he spoke of in the winter window, and that now would come down to money.

Yanga is doing the groundwork and as his best friend, is extremely influential in his decison!

Gonna be a busy summer!! 🙂

• Offkey

May 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

tads – I expected better from you 😉

• Rotonda heights

May 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Offkey

probably a tasteful mobile betting link up to go with Wonga!

• Sambo from belgium

May 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Apparantly Vermaelen from Arsenal is for the grabs for arround 6 million…I would get him without thinking..

• Rotonda heights

May 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Torq

Pardew could teach Belhanda to track back on the other side of Benny!! Another great talent but will be totally wasted here.

• jonobbad

May 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Lol
    Plus he is a fan of pardew. Lol
    I’ll make this easy. Give me just 1 reason why.
    The only fans of pardew are Jonas, mike Ashley and a few passive supporters on here.
    Lol
    Thanks for cheering me up.

• Indian Magpie

May 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Torq Toon

May i ask you a question?

PEA is a fan of pardew? is that true.

• Spreadthetoon

May 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Torq
    Has your keyring gotta a secret recording device! Keep it ringing……LOL 🙂

• alex84

May 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Torq,

Yeah I think that is the only option, leave Pardew to man manage the players, learn from continental coaches and who can get the best out of the personnel that we have, I think it would do him the world of good and any coach and manager should embrace new ideas never standing still, look at Fergie.

I really do hope we get a better manager but if not, this is the only way forward.

• Roppa

May 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

If it is true, that Mike Ashley has retained the services of the ‘esteemed’ Alan Pardew, it is a clear statement of his intentions for NUFC. With this one decision he has clarified his position and stated quite categorically that he has no ambition for the club. NUFC is a ‘convenience’ for him & for Sports Direct – it also allows him to pamper his best (maybe only) buddies Lambias & Pardew, and to reward them with their friendship by having them on the payroll – irrespective of how effective they are. For Mike Ashley, NUFC is simply an asset that he will keep ‘ticking over’ until he can sell it on for a handsome profit. I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but it looks to me as though as long as Mike Ashley owns NUFC, Pardew’s job will be safe!

• jdizzle

May 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I can see Norwich and Chris Hughton wanting him

• Midtoon

May 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Torq – Good to see you on here mate. Whole heartedly agree with your views re pards.
    Wait did you say Pea is a fan of pards?
    Who are his friends in the squad?

Belhanda and de jong would be the link we need between mf and att. But does that mean Benny and yohan are off?

• Spreadthetoon

May 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

defo need a shake up of back room staff….medics perhaps and defo coaches, better fitness levels and training should ensure less injuries…..

• Rotonda heights

May 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Torq

After 50 years i think i consider myself a real fan and if I could walk away it wouldn’t be to support another team, I would just to take a break from being routinely disappointed.

1 2 3 8