The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

No Interest In Carroll – This Striker Is Newcastle’s Top Target

9:48 am, Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

News in the Newcastle Journal today that Andy Carroll, at about £15.5M,  is just too expensive for the club, and Newcastle  will again try to push a deal through for St. Etienne striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang _moyenne_300x300

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – Newcastle’s top target

It doesn’t surprise us the Magpies will not go after Andy Carroll, and we think the club  were waiting to see how much West Ham would be willing to pay out,  to take the Gateshead-born striker to east London.

And it’s only £1.5M less than Liverpool were asking for, although West Ham may be willing to pay big money just to ensure Newcastle don’t come in for their striker – but they are overpaying for Andy, who has his injury problems, and he’s out with a heel injury for four months.

If West Ham get Andy they will have paid out £26M for Andy Carroll and Matt Jarvis, who they signed last summer from Wolves – that’s hardly good us of £26M for those two English players.

St Etienne are in 4th place in the French League just two points behind 3rd placed Lyon, and they could qualify for the Champions league next season, and that could be a problem, although it didn’t stop Yohan Cabaye moving to Newcastle two years ago, after Lille won the French Championship.

There were rumors in January that Newcastle had a £8.5M bid turned down by the French club for their top striker, and it seems Newcastle are willing to cough up £10M this time around for the Gabon International, and that’s close to the asking price.

But Newcastle missed out on Luuk de Jong last summer and in January we missed out on top target Loic Remy, so we have to hope it’s third time lucky for Newcastle this summer in getting their top target to Tyneside – although there are a number of top clubs now interested in the striker.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. stands 6’2″ tall and turns 24 next month and he has scored 20 goals in 37 appearances for St. Etienne this season.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 spitfire_ // May 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM

This is our new winger… yaaaaaaaaaay.

• 2 Markaccus // May 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Basically you’re saying “come here and moan 24/7 or else you hate nufc”. Bunch of pathetic bairns. Grow up.

Thought pea was off to monaco?

• 3 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Lads, I’m now as against Pardew’s management as the next guy, I personally think we can do better, in many aspects of the club.

We can get a better manager, we can get better first team coaches, we can get better conditioning coaches and sports science staff, we can have a better Academy, but just because I know we can have all this doesn’t mean for a second that I’d stop supporting the team if I didn’t get it.

We all know what is in store for NUFC fans, frustration and heartache, we’re masochists who secretly love the pain that comes with this club.

If Pardew has received the backing of the owner, is given new coaches to help him improve, and is given new players in the positions he’s weak in, then he will no longer have any excuses to hide behind.

Either he works well with a new system (which is now a necessity, keeping Pardew on without getting new coaches would be insanity) or he fails, thus leading to his sacking. Either way we’ll know for certain.

I do think Ashley keeping him on is a major lack of ambition and I am no longer ambiguous about this, as if he was truly ambitious he’d have replaced him, but as he hasn’t at least now I am certain in my convictions.

While I don’t like Pardew, as he is NUFC boss for next year (seemingly, still no official statement) he will get my full support, as will all the players.

We all love this club, guess why it hurts so bloody much! haha

• 4 Indian Magpie // May 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM

TADS

I don’t know how it looked to you but i meant, i am not seeing that same urge in me about newcastle. that feeling that one gets on matchdays.

So you admit the weather is not fair?

• 5 Indian Magpie // May 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I hope he pi**es in pardew’s mouth

• 6 89Norcal // May 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM

hmm i suppose..Haven’t gotten a chance to watch him much.

• 7 G.unit // May 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Just normally read the comments but thought I would say the following: –

I for one was less than impressed with the performance of Pardew last season and I do want him gone but the constant ramblings towards him are killing this blog.

I don’t mind the odd valid comment, for example the stat indicating that we have played the most long balls, but for every other story always end up the same way.

And for bloggers like Indian to say that he will support another team and not care if we get beat, as MA doesn’t care if we get lose on match day. Get a grip fella and do us all a favour and leave the blog.

• 8 89Norcal // May 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Well said Ruddy.

All this disappointment and heartache..when we finally do win some silverware my heart will give out and ruin the moment :)

• 9 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Indian

Go support these other teams, it’s clear that you don’t have any real passion for NUFC.

I hate the saying “you’re not a real fan” but in your case you’re actually not a real fan so seriously, p*ss off.

• 10 Markaccus // May 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Indian…. please keep yoir sick sexual fantasies off this page. It is disgusting.

• 11 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I refuse to support Newcastle because I’m a real fan

• 12 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // May 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Norcal

If we win some silverware I think the Geordie nation around the globe will collectively ruin the moment by blubbering everywhere…I mean who could blame us, it’s not as if we actually know how to celebrate winning a trophy! haha

• 13 Black and White with an army lol // May 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

never gonna happen, he’s going to Germany to play for a real ambition club

• 14 Hatem's better than Messi // May 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Anyone have faith that Llambias won’t mess this up?

Hope PEA likes balls being hoofed up to him.
    Llambias watches all our matches can’t he see we play with no style.
    PlanA: – Defend then hoof it to Cisse and hope.
    PlanB:- lol.

• 15 89Norcal // May 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM

hahaha Ruddy you’re probably right.

• 16 Black and White with an army lol // May 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Burros Dortmund are going for him, so please ED stop with these rumors

• 17 toonarmydownsouth // May 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

50toonarmydownsouth // May 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Hotdog
    Lol
    I take offence to some saying if you keep supporting the club while pardew is in charge your not a real fan!

Geordie157
    Agree mate, a marquee signing, the lads have a few weeks to rest up regroup relax and refocus then we need a solid pre season forget this season and mount an all out assault on the league next season
    Mainly we need to strengthen the depth of our squad because st times this season I looked at our bench and despaired!!

Indian
    I read exactly as you read it, you’ve lost interest in NUFC, no big deal but for me that just says your a fanboy and not a supporter

There are many leagues below the prem, and I would still support them no matter which one there in, if your looking for glory, and judging by the teams you listed its looks like you are, then your at the wrong club
    So…….. You know, see you around…….maybe

• 18 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // May 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

We are capable of playing a passing game under pardew albeit without a cutting edge

• 19 toonarmydownsouth // May 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM

PPB
    Your in the due hard elite! ;) NUFC OUT!

• 20 Rotonda heights // May 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Would be much happier with P.E.A than Carrol.
    It’s hilarious. We’re buying or looking to buy fantastic technical players like P..E.A who is just what we need, ie speed, skill and goals.

Carr and co must put a hell of a spin for the likes of Cabaye, Benny, Anita, Sissoko and Marveaux etc to make them believe they will be playing ”pass and move”, progressive modern football and then they turn up to one of Pardew’s 4 out of 5 days a week defensive training days! What a con.

• 21 hotdog // May 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Ruddy – good post well summed up.

Stuart. I’ve never had to justify my love of Newcastle to anybody and I’m not about to start now. Rest assured though I and many of my friends and family have supported Newcastle for many years. It’s in the blood kid.

Now does that help you with your inane question?

• 22 Indian Magpie // May 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

TADS

May be

• 23 jonobbad // May 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Not with pardew in charge. No Europe. Pardew doesn’t want Europe. We play sh1t football.
    There is not one reason for pea to come.
    Time for a reality check for us fans.
    I’m really hoping we don’t lose some of our better players but I can’t see any reason why they would stay.

I have been massively against Andy Carroll coming back but now maybe he is the best type of player we can get.
    He might come because he’s a fan but I can’t see players with ambition coming here.

It feels like someone’s died.

23/05/13
    The day Ashley has proved to me he has no ambition. I don’t know why I ever thought otherwise.

• 24 stuart no9 // May 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

repost

TADS @ 28– well done ! youve actually read something i didnt write! how do you do that ??? its clever !

• 25 Rotonda heights // May 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

PPB

That’s the tragedy. With the 6 games last season when Raylor got injured and Benny came in and we played 433 we were fantastic till Pardew inexplicably kicked it in to the long grass. We”ve been woeful ever since.

We don’t need a major fix, just a change of tactics, formation, team selection and substitutes!

• 26 TorqToon // May 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Man have some of you listened to yourselves???!! This is a fans forum and some of you can’t call yourselves fans!

Supporting Newcastle utd wasn’t a choice for me. It’s inherent and in my blood. We could stick ANYBODY in charge and I would still love this club.

If a bad season and pardew staying in charge is that bad, then there are plenty of other clubs to support. These past few days I’ve read all sorts about pardew, lambias, Ashley and even that us fans who fill SJP every other week should be ashamed!!?! What the hell is going on.

Nothing official yet and all pure paper talk, but if pardew is staying, get over it and get behind the lads (if not the manager!!) and support the club wholly and completely.

Sorry for the rant, and Good morning to my friends on here today.

• 27 bzak12 // May 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Not a cat in hell chance of PEA coming here,Percy would wreck him in 6 games.
    Gutted Pardew is staying Big mistake by Ashley the crowd has turned against him and will attack him early doors and Ashley will have to start looking for new manager 10 games at most into next season, so may as well write next season off too.
    I’ve had enough!!!!

• 28 Rotonda heights // May 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Tads

I’ve been a hardcore fan for over 50 years and I’m never been so close to packing NUFC in as I am right now!

• 29 Indian Magpie // May 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Bet Jonas will be the first name on the team sheet next season too.

Shola as sub after 60 minutes in place of the LB and jonas then LB

• 30 toonarmydownsouth // May 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Stuart
    Not at all, your sticking up for someone who’s said he will no longer support the toon, but those who will continue aren’t fans!
    Then what, we have to give your our supporting CV? Who the hell are you to say who is is or isn’t a real fan

• 31 Spreadthetoon // May 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Well MA & DL have backed AP……well I hope they made it clear that a repeat of last season will not be tolerated……I hope. So the owners have backed the mgr so there is no where to go with this for now….so posters writing “PARDEW OUT” are clearly wasting there time and energy posting it….it ain’t gonna happen or at least it ain’t gonna happen now.

So I guess the main thing is now the transfer window and the relaxation of summer. Personally I’d like to see us move quickly in the market, show ambition and signal to the other players that NUFC mean business. It will settle players in quickly and also assure our existing players that NUFC wanna go places. I want us to sign these 3 players without any departees…..other than perhaps Jonas (who’s been great for the club but is past his best), and bring in the following, in this priority:-

1.Siem De Yong
    2.Jermaine Lens
    3.PEA

Do that….and we’re in business for nxt season! HWTL

• 32 hotdog // May 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Rotonda – how exactly would that go? Packing in Newcastle after following them for 50 years!

• 33 toonarmydownsouth // May 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Rotonda
    That’s your choice mate, you’ve probably spent thousands on following the toon, but I’d hope you had the sense to think that those who still follow aren’t real fans!

• 34 stuart no9 // May 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

hotdog @35 — from previous post .
    TADS – you don’t need to fight my battles mate. I could write a few paragraphs, as STUART likes to do, about my toon devotion but can’t be chewed

why not ? do you need time to consult wikipedia, just in case you say something that sound embarrassing ?

• 35 alex84 // May 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Torq,
    Hi, never spoke before on here but admire your stance to stay positive.

I for one have tried to give Pardew a chance this season, even argued with Catchy, but after what we have witnessed this season do you not think we could be in for more of the same, Pardew’s managerial career pans out the same at every club he has been at, he has not learnt at all from previous mistakes, I will support the players and club as always but I can not support a manager who has a philosophy that would make Don Howe like he coaches Barca players.

• 36 Wayayman // May 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Ok, anyone disputing or on the fence about Pardew’s ability as a top level manager/coach think about this…

You can agree with his excuses about the Europa lge draining our tiny, teeny-weeny squad, but bear in mind that in the group games we never started the same 11 as we did on the saturdays either side of the europa games. Hell, we pretty much changed the full team.

You can argue about injuries, moaning that any team in the league would have been as badly affected by injuries to their top players. But hang on, most teams have had injuries to contend with at some point. e’re the only ones who seem to consistently get injuries to our best players (Collo, Krul, Hatem, Cabaye, Marveaux, Shola. Ok, maybe not Shola…
    So we need to ask ourselves WHY do we get these reoccurring problems? Clearly, the medical staff are inept. Or, does the manger rush the players back too early ???

You could also whinge about your top scorer leaving mid-season. But then again if we were flying as high as we were last season, and the coaching was top class, producing the style of football we all (footballers included) crave, would that top striker have wanted to leave?

You might look at the fact that Cabaye, Tiote, Hatem, Jonas have all had seasons as bad as they were brilliant last time round. Or you could put it down to the fact that last year we were one of the luckiest teams in the league and every one of out players were on top form at the same time making the team almost pick itself. Players in good mental states play better than ones with clouds hanging over them.

But what you can never ever argue with are the facts. That Pardew’s substitutions are beyond baffling – replacing one player with an inferior one in the exact position, or bringing off a well perfoming left back and moving an ineffective LM/CM back to left back, and bringing on a DM in their place while we are LOSING.
    Or bringing off players who can unlock the door (Ben Arfa(, or ones who run all day for you (Goofy) and replace them with Shola.

Or just by never ever subbing Jonas who looks a shadow of the player he was for us.

Like has been said many times on this blog, Pardew has barley a plan A let alone a plan B or C.

Watching the tactically aware managers move things around DURING game. I remember this past season watching Spurs all over Man C and on the half hour Mancini took off his left back and replaced him with an attacking midfielder, going 3 at the back till half time. The turn around was instant. He didn’t sit back and hope to get to half time still level, he saw the problem and rectified it by putting the oppo under some offensive pressure. Sadly, we’ll never have a manager who understands a game like that. Not for the next 7 years anyway.

• 37 Rotonda heights // May 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Toorq

I think many people feel quite correctly that short term pain for long term gain in the form of a boycott is perhaps the only thing that may effect change. A couple of matches with empty stadiums would concentrate Ashley’s mind considerably in a way nothing else would. Either that or continued mediocrity for the foreseeable.

I have supported some of Ashley’s initiatives. You don’t get to be a double billionaire by not implementing some good ideas and concepts. But the combined effect of having a creep of a chairman, an inadequate of a manager, a lack of fit and proper medical and fitness staff gives the impression of jobs of the boys and a lack of professionalism, compounded by a controversial sponsor doesn’t paint a particularly appealing future.

• 38 stuart no9 // May 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

hoddog @ 21 – “does that answer my question” — not really but w’ell leave it at that. my uncle lived in london , supported arsenal, but i’m not an arsenal fan !

• 39 GeordieDan // May 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Woah there’s some catfighting going on in here today.

Later ladies. I’ll come back when there football on again! :D

• 40 sparky55 // May 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

are we so irrationally delusional we really think PEA will come to newcastle.

As soon as he speaks to the other french lads in the team he’ll off in the other direction in a flash.

The really stupid thing about the decision to keep pardew is the fact we’ll lose our good creative players along with tiote as a result …it beggars belief Ashley isn’t aware of the player unrest which means a lot has to be done in the summer…but at the end of the day the net spend will leave Ashley in credit because we’ll get a lot more than we paid for the players that will leave so maybe Ashley’s not so stupid and wants to get some of his loan money back out of the club before hopefully selling it

• 41 jimbaker // May 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM

We need Carroll, £15m is not too expensive for him, especially when we got £35m for him in the first place. we would have still had £20m profit, thats class.
    We need him, FACT.
    His passion and commitment would have been class last season, he is a brilliant striker. (although he injuries may become a problem) No brainer for me we must resign this lad.
    He will never hide away or bottle it like some of our current playing staff do.

• 42 nufc 11 // May 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Wait and see he has been our top target for over a year yet if he does come it will be late August before we see him apparently everyone goses on hols at the club wen others around us make their moves and get the players in while where left scratching our heads saying how did that happen? we missed that one oh well…..

• 43 Greebol1892 // May 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Not a chance.
    Well maybe the only chance would be through our “French Connection” or making the club an offer they can’t refuse.
    He is one of the hottest properties in Europe atm and given the chance will opt for a CL club – or even one at least playing in Europe with a chance of silverware (domestic or otherwise).

• 44 JP...from The Rock // May 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The player has his sights set on Dortmund. Our chances are very slim, especially after the horrible season we’ve had.

If PEA were to come it would be such a boost to our game, with his pace, trickery and eye for goal we could be flying with just him on board.

Sadly though as always NUFC will probably let us down and buy a cheaper not as prolific alternative :/

• 45 county down magpie // May 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Stuart no9, regards your post @14 what exactly does qualify one to be a toon supporter? Just wondering like cos your post comes off sounding like a scummy bindipper or manc tw@ instead of a geordie? I don’t live in Newcastle im over the water in northern Ireland does this count me out?
    I do get to at least 1 home game a month and was at European matches is that a mark in my favour? Away and catch a grip you wee pr1ck

• 46 papscrunt // May 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I’d personally take Lukaku over Pea and Carroll. So much to work with. And knows the league, unlike Pea.

• 47 wynsleap // May 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Rotond @ 37 _ Too right.
    I’ve said it many times on here before that staying away for two or three games is the ONLY way to get your message across that you are unhappy with the regime.
    It would only be a short term loss for more full time gain but unfortunately many of the fans just never see the bigger picture and must have their match day experience whatever the consequences. Pity because I always thought Geordies had more spirit and fight.
    Regrettably Ashley, Pardew and Lambias know this and thereby treat us all with contempt.

• 48 Owldman // May 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

@47 what you say is true if we had to pay at the turnstiles every game then it would hit home financially , but as most of us pay up front it wont make a bit of difference, there has to be another way but that could only be some sort of demonstration, & who ie going organise that?

• 49 wynsleap // May 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Owldman @ 48
    Totally agree about the financial loss due to pre -bought season tickets but do you think Ashley would be happy with the TV and hungry media exposure showing an empty ground for two or three home matches.
    I think he’d quickly and embarrassingly get the message as it wouldn’t do much for the image of his one true love – Sports Direct.

• 50 toonluvva // May 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Don’t get your hopes too high about the quality of the signings that might come to NUFC.

Just ask yourself what striker in his right mind would want to come to a club managed by Pardew?

I think you should prepare yourself instead for the decent players leaving either over the summer or in January. True we’ll keep the dross who know that they are at a club with little or no ambition and will get their wages for no effort on their part.

Before people start howling about supposed negative comments, I am season ticket holder and really believe that under our current management structure of Llambias & Pardew we will struggle next season and may even be relegated.

If we are waiting until Decemeber to part company with Pardew, I am already dreading the first half of the season. We mind find ourselves so close to the bottom of the table that we will be unable to recover.

Despite all that I’ll be waiting for the first home match of next season and will get behind the players as usual.

• 51 Albert's Secret Love Child (Formerly Krul To Be Kind) // May 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Not a big fan of this lad to be fair and think he may have problems in the EPL, too 1 dimensional and reliant on pace. Would prefer Mollo, also at St Etienne, at less than half the price… classy out and out winger that can also play behind the striker and around the same age!

previous post: It’s Not Been Good Enough For A Team Like Newcastle United