Newcastle Linked With Arsenal Winger

Newcastle were thought to be in the lead to get Gervinho from Lille two years ago, just after we had tied up his team-mate at Lille – a certain Yohan Cabaye to a deal at Newcastle.

tim krul gervinho

Gervinho playing against Newcastle

But Gervinho has not done particularly well at Arsenal, and he’s be in and out of the side, and there are rumors now linking him with a move away from the London club.

So it’s probably not surprising that Newcastle are being brought into the stories circulating about the Ivory Coast International (45 caps 13 goals), , although Turkish club Fenerbehce may actually be really interested in the player.

Gervinho wasn’t cheap and the reported fee was £10.8M, which is a fairly high for a player who has been unable to command a starting position at Arsenal.

Gervinho himself has played down the reports that he may leave the club, and he had this to say:

“I have a contract until 2015 with Arsenal and I intend to honor it.” “There is always speculation in the papers, but I am looking forward to a good holiday and to come back to Arsenal.” “I want to win my place in the starting line-up week in, week out.”

Gervinho has been less than successful at Arsenal, and one of his problems is his inconsistency and poor decision-making, and we already have players at Newcastle – one being Gabby Obertan – who are similar in that they promise a lot but produce little.

Certainly he wouldn’t be worth £10.8M, after having a less than stellar start to his Arsenal career,, and we have to think these reports are being dreamed up, simply because Newcastle were once interested in the player.

And there have been stories, which we cannot verify, that said when he met with Newcastle officials, he was on his cell phone all the time and didn’t show much interest in joining Newcastle. Let’s say he was hardly desperate to join the Magpies.

We don’t think this lad would be a good buy for Newcastle.

Gervinho has played 63 times for Arsenal in two years and has 11 goals and 13 assists.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• winnynufc

May 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Non story move on! HWTL.

• Matthew Tom

May 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Based on all the usual commentary, I was disappointed when we didn’t get him, and then relieved when I saw him actually play! No thanks!

• TorqToon

May 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Nothing to see…..move along!

• Markaccus

May 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Lots of botty noise, this story.

• bills-son

May 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

repost:

jonobbad // May 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    Heavy dose of realism needed on this blog. We are a bottom half team, no Europe, no ambition.
    Carlton Cole and Wayne bridge is probably the best we can get.

Honestly – YOU need a heavy doseof common sense lad.

We have NEVER signed any player in the Carlton Cole or Wayne Bridge mould since we got promoted. That is purely rag top paper talk and raggy ar$ed doom laden supporter talk.

HBA, Cabaye, Santon, Ba, Obertan, Tiote, Cisse, Debuchy, Mbiwa, Sissoko, Anita, Gouffran, Bigirama … these are the type of players Ashley has signed since we got promoted.

Carlton Cole and Wayne Bridge – don’t make me laugh

• croftus5678

May 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM

rumour is the price is 9mil and a winger of his quality he would fit in very well to our team ! dont get me wrong i think bellhander and boudebouz may come cheaper with the same quality but it may be worth paying the extra forhis experiance and the fact he’s learnt english allready.

• gonufc (not Arf' bad)

May 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Please, after such a terrible season, just for the good of our sanity- do not buy Gervinho!

• ToonDarnSarf

May 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Another lazy article. Ed – I think many of us would prefer fewer but more quality articles on here. Speculation like this is beneath you!

We all know the transfer policy at Newcastle, I don’t see £9M for Gervinho as having much of an opportunity for his value to increase, do you?

We will continue to sign players whose values should increase while playing for Newcastle. The club doesn’t actually have to sell them, the point is that they are assets of the club and the greater the value of the assets, the greater the value of the club.

• magicbus

May 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I`d put Jonas before Gervinho enough said move on

• Guj NUFC

May 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I go happy when I saw this title….thought it said Newcastle Linked With Arsene Wenger…. 🙁

• magicbus

May 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Nice one Guj rep there

• Jinky Jim

May 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM

31 and counting and tomorrow is only the first of June. Wow Ed, I had my money on 100 players, looks like you could double that.

• tenpointnine

May 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Guj NUFC // May 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Priceless!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Out of all the players we alsmost signed ?

I think that maybe this one is one of the players i am actually pleased we did,nt get?
    Bryan Ruiz at Fulham is another?

These are all prospective transfer targets from years gone by. All of which kept us busy on here at the time!
    Who thinks on here that we will be signing Remy in the summer?

• rwpoynter

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM

When I first glanced at this title I thought it said Newcastle linked with Arsene Wenger! I wish!