The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Is This The 6’4″ Central Defender Pardew Is After?

2:08 pm, Sunday, June 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 209 Comments

Newcastle have been interested in West Ham’s 24 year-old central defender come defensive midfielder James Tomkins for almost two years now, and since Alan Pardew keeps talking about wanting a big 6’4″ defender at the club, maybe Newcastle will go after the 10 times capped England U21 player this summer.

James Tomkins 1

James Tomkins – are Newcastle still interested?

We thought that 25 year-old FC Twente’s central defender Douglas, would be a decent buy this summer, since he’s now a free agent after seeing out the last year of his contract at the Dutch club, but last season wasn’t the best one for the 6’4″ Brazilian.

Douglas seems prone to making too many errors at the back, and Newcastle have had enough defenders like that over the last several years – why do Jean-Alain Boumsong and David Rozehnal immediately come to mind?

It seems that Alan Pardew has rated James Tomkins for some time now, and with West Ham bringing back James Collins last summer from Aston Villa, it could be that big Sam Allardyce is more likely to let his Great Britain capped player leave this summer.

James also has Premier League experience at West Ham, which is another thing Pardew is looking for in the players he recruits this summer, and James has played around 105 games in the Premier League, and in total has 151 appearances for the Hammers with 7 goals.

When we’ve watched James play he’s looked very good in central midfield, as the holding midfielder, and he’s also a good passer of the ball, so that another thing he offers is some versatility.

There’s supposed to be a meeting this coming week at Newcastle to discuss summer transfer targets, and hopefully we will see some movement by Newcastle in the transfer market soon – very soon – in fact the sooner the better. 😀

But the reality is that it could be difficult for Newcastle to attract top players to Tyneside this summer, after we were fighting relegation last season. :(

We’ll just have to wait and see what Graham Carr and his scouting team come up with this summer – but we wouldn’t mind seeing James Tomkins at Newcastle.

And after all he is English, and we have precious few Englishmen in the Newcastle line-up at the moment.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

209 responses so far ↓

• 1 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

NO, PLEASE NO!!!!!

• 2 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Source: WHU Blogs

• 3 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Isimat-Mirin went for 4 million, is this pardew’s experience crap?

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I would have liked him last summer when we desperately needed a CB but surely with a full summer ahead of us and two and a half years of looking for someone behind us surely we should be setting our sights on better quality than this.

• 5 dubzy // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Think Ed making these up as he goes along now

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM

It is not important to me that they are English and I don’t buy that EPL experience crap one minute (expecially when those players who are exciting are way out of our price range)

…jusy my opinion anyway :-)

• 7 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM

He’s not 6″4, he’s 6″3 i think. Don’t want him here. We can get better.

• 8 G // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Don’t rate him one bit. Belongs in the championship. Don’t rate Douglas either, whom I was under the impression that he was no longer a free agent.

• 9 Mister Tuff // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

As Indian pointed out @3 it looks as if Mirin is going to sign for Monaco. Was a very good prospect. Oh well yet another one scratched off the quality list.

• 10 blew // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I think the only player Pardew has had an input in signing is Oberton.
    I rest my case regarding Tomkins and APs judgement.

• 11 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Better than Willo but makes some silly errors. Sign Toby Alderweireld for christ sake.

• 12 WWYCD // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Haha well I will be unpopular and said I’d take him for a William/Saylor level player but not as a Colo replacement

• 13 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Kets Sir,

What do u think of Stamboulli and Lloris Nery

• 14 Stephen Keegan // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Caulker is probably out of the question now but last summer probably was worth a try, If collo stays we may just need a younger CB with the view to be a future first teamer, Jamall Lacelles of nottingham forest looks to be developing well and would come on the cheap, i see him as a future england starter and may already have some under19/21 caps. Wouldnt mind either of the southampton full backs in clyne and shaw both look set for great futures but unlikely as there prices must be over the odds by now!!

• 15 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Not sure about them.

• 16 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Kets

I am a big admirer of stamboulli, Nery I think is just as good as Mirin. Same team Valenciennes

• 17 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I like the look of Sebastien Corchia but we don’t need a right back. Would like to see some ambition this summer with some high profile signings. We can’t afford to have another poor/average season. Got a feeling we might go for Moussa Sow.

• 18 Toon-82 // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Can’t get in the West Ham team, it’s the sort of crap I expect from Pardew!!

• 19 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Saylor and Tomkins together

• 20 toon22 // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Given the chance AP would drop Vidic to play this guy.

• 21 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

looks like we signing players ready for the championship if this is what we are after.
    come on nufc show some backbone and get some qaulity over the line

• 22 Billythefish // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

No doubt about Ashley and co doing good deals, but for fks sake when have we been exited by one of his signings???? Ben Arfa is the only one I can recall. I’d love them to show some intent and get me excited for the new season. I guarantee people will be saying next window next window but nothing changes.
    Top 10 goal, pleased we haven’t got European football, what MSG is that to the fans and potential new players. Cheap manager cheap signings and good accounts, most are brainwashed when over the last 20 years has any fan worried about finances? Only the last 5 years seems to tie in with the Ashley propaganda.

• 23 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

just a question guys-would you have demba ba back???

• 24 Toonboy_84 // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Would take Ba back every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. Mourinho might not fancy him.

I wouldn’t mind big Andy back but if I could pick anyone within our price range, Ba would be high up on that list.

Would have to rotate him and papiss though.

• 25 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Is this what’s it’s come to???

Taking back players who ran off at the first sight of more money?

As far as I’m concerned both Ba and Carrol can rot on their respective benches, both had their chance and both chose to leave

• 26 q8igeordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Billy the fish .. we were all excited about mapou, debuchy and sissoko …

• 27 Barras // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Sure Demba Ba left just for money.

Playing alongside Juan Mata etc had nothing to do with it. Neither did playing for a team who qualifies for the Champions League every year. In fact, neither did playing for the 2011/12 champions of Europe.

• 28 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Barras

So you’d take him back would you?

• 29 Barras // Jun 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Yes! In a heartbeat. Demba Ba is the man.

• 30 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM

jack butler.
    i understand where ya coming from mate,i felt the same when he left.but im just looking at the best scenario for nufc if ba became available.
    if all the strikers being touted abt like gervinho,long,remy,cole,bent ect were of serious interest to us and ba was thrown in to that hat i know which i would choose

• 31 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

So you’d take back a man who left at the first opportunity!

Personally I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole now. And thats whats wrong with this club, we no longer have any ambition.

We have a cheap skate owner, a clueless chairman, a second rate manager who is glad we don’t have European Football. We can’t keep hold of our best players and we kid ourselves from one transfer window to the next that it’ll all change

• 32 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

jack butler.
    agree agree agree.
    we are all gonna have to wait and see which direction ma takes nufc at the end of this transfer window???

• 33 IITianToon // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

This is not even funny man.. James freakin Tomkins are you kidding me?
    Oh God, Hodgson, Pardew and Allardyce, looks like some dinosaurs did survive the Jurassic period..

• 34 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

jazzyp

He has until this window shut’s to show what he wants with us! But if retaining Pardew is an indication then don’t expect anything to change.

• 35 IITianToon // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Hey Jack you are right, we can get far better players than Ba and Carroll. I don’t understand people’s obsession with Carroll; if he comes back we become Stoke II, and what is even worrying is Alan Pardew seems to have a man crush on wanting him back. True Carroll can get us a few goals from set pieces, but what about the football? Dark ages man, dark agas.

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If Percy is let loose to sign the likes of Tomkins/ Carlton Cole and other second raters/ older Championship standard players I think we should re-name SJP – Jurassic Park.

• 37 Barras // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM

“So you’d take back a man who left at the first opportunity!”.

@JackButler everything that you just said about what is wrong with the running of Newcastle United explains why Demba Ba left. I believe he is the type of man and player that would have stayed if we showed even a little indication that we are aiming for the Champions League.

But the truth is we are not, and instead we are aiming for “at least a top-10 finish in the Premier League”.

• 38 welshgeordie9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

could be worse we could be linked with Crouch, Heskey, or even worse Albert Luque

• 39 welshgeordie9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Bring back boumsong that’s what I say

• 40 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Barras

I may be old fashioned but I’ve always believed that once you’ve had your chance with us, thats it. If player thinks they can do better else where then fine, but don’t expect to be welcomed back with open arm’s when things don’t work out for them.

And the chances of us pushing for Champions League place diminished even more when Ba left

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Demba Ba ,ha ha ha ha,he must be valued at 20M now and why on earth would he want to come back here.

• 42 bro56 // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

only problem with newsnow during the end of season is the constant stories that this site keeps publishing.

If we signed all of the players every summer Ed links us with we’d have a squad of 1000…

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

JB,
    I think you’re being very harsh regarding Andy Carroll,unless you know more about the circumstances of the transfer than us.

• 44 nufc786 // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

• 45 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

@Jail

I don’t think I’m being harsh on Carrol, I’ve always rated him as a player, even defended his abulity when he’s been slated on here in the past, but he’s the one that seemed hell bent on ruining his career with his off field antics when he was here and he’s the one who took the reported 90k a week at Liverpool he didn’t have a gun put to his head to sign that deal

• 46 Taking the Papiss // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I love the idea that because Ed put an article up we are actually interested. I actually quite like Tomkins but there is no way that he will be coming. I also love the people on here going on about isimat mirin. Even if you are a massive follower of French football you are unlikely to have seen him play that much as Valenciennes are rarely televised or the most glamorous game of the weekend. YouTube does not count!

I personally don’t think we will pay for a cb unless colo goes which I actually think is unlikely. I left the blog for a couple of days hoping to pardew bashing would stop now it looks like there is actually a majority that want him to stay according to the chronicle and more importantly he definitely is staying. We need strikers – I would have liked remy before be rape charge but not now. I think maybe bony, siem de Jong, ince and will Hughes is what we are aiming for. Fingers crossed

• 47 Toon1978 // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Yes please for Ba to return. We have really missed the big fella!!

• 48 IITianToon // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM

@Taking the Papiss Yeah man I’m behind Pards since he is here for good now; but does it not worry you that he is always inetersted in 6’4″ footballers.. does it not make you apprehensive that he will switch to hoofball given the slightest chance that our passing game is off during a game.

• 49 IITianToon // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM

@Jamsha/indian Will the Brazil-England game and the France friendlies be on TV?

• 50 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

!2:30 Am India On Six

• 51 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM

12:30 Am India On Sony Six I mean

• 52 numba9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Go in with a cheeky ten million bid for demba ba that would mean in total he cost up 3 not bad business that and he has already proved his worth

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Papisse,
    Your absence was noted !

• 54 bills-son // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I see solano the self righteous doomsayer of all things Ashley has reared his head and joined the other ‘no ambition’ ‘Carlton Cole’ ‘worst owner ever’ ‘lying bstads’ ‘get out of our club’ brigade.

Well, this next window really is the one that will show us how much ambition MA has for NUFC. He has learnt last season that the first team squad wasn’t strong enough, the ‘promising youngsters’ weren’t ready or good enough and that his policy of take it or leave it offers can work very well – but when it doesn’t he needs nailed on alternatives.

I think Ashley will pull the rug out from the doomsayers – smug solano especially – by making some sensational signings.

If we have a poor window I promise to admit I was an idiot for being fooled by Ashley and I’ll totally withdraw my support for him.

Solano – have you got the balls to promise you will admit to being an idiot if we have a great window?

• 55 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Carroll Has agreed a deal to WHUFC

• 56 colwell // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Damba ba would have left because a better team came for him, more money, win cups get away from Pards, but why anyone would not take him back I don’t understand? Lets face it he has moved on to bigger and better things than we could ever dream of. He’s been there 6 months and already won more trophies than Newcastle have in 50years lol

If Chelsea came after any of our players they would all leave in a heart beat.

We haven’t got alot to offer players to stay or come. Big crowds is it…
    Oh and a guarantee to be knocked out by Brighton in the FA cup.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Numba 9,
    Don’t you think that 3M would have been better served offering him the type of wages a player of his calibre commands.

• 58 IITianToon // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM

@colwell Demba Ba was not allowed to play the Europa League. Surely he doesn’t have a winner’s medal with them?

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Bills,
    If we have a great window I will be the first to put my hands up and say that the direction that Ashley is taking us is the right way.

• 60 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Bills

You’ve nailed your colours to the mast.

If MA lets us down again this window, it will be you who looks like an idiot.

Fine line you’re treading.

• 61 numba9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Jail for Ashley yes I do totally agree with you players like him are hard to come by we should have kept him and I don’t think he would have left had we showed ambition last summer in transfers

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Bills,
    I know you have offered full support to the Ashley regime but were as disappointed as the rest of us last summer, but are you comfortable with the continuous lies being pedalled to us.

• 63 colwell // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM

IITianToon

Good spot mate “they’ve already won”, thats why you should always check the post before its sends lol

• 64 IITianToon // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I have written to Anil Ambani so many times requesting him to buy Newcastle. Wish one day he reads one of my mails ..

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Indian,
    Source?

• 66 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

bills

I truly admire your belief in Ashley, but on what evidence are you basing your comments that he will prove everyone wrong during this window?

Sensational signings?

That’s a massive change in his policy and can’t see anything of the sort happening.

• 67 Taking the Papiss // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I think it’s actually worth having some bigger players. It will certainly help out set plays. I think 1 striker and 1 large defender doesn’t mean we are filling our team with giants.

Also is it not just one pardew interview where he said he wants. A big defender to score goals that his 6 ft 4 obsession has come from?

• 68 IITianToon // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Ba seems such a misfit at Chelsea its quite amusing to see him run around but not passed to by the likes of Mata, Torres and Hazard. Quite a few of his goals have been tap-ins which would have been a goal for some other player had he not touched it in!

• 69 Taking the Papiss // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Jail I assume my absence made your heart grow fonder?

• 70 donkey // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

JackButler ba left because he had release clause in his contract nufc did not offer him the right contract in the first place of course hes going to move when hes offered more money and a club with better ambition he would be mad to turn chelsea down and carroll aswell once that 35 million bid come in MA and DL would have forced him out even if he wanted to stay. Chances of getting ba back very slim now . but carrol the lad wants to come home and i recon he should be the first player to buy this summer dont forget with that carrol money it bought us sissoko 3 cisse 9 HBA 5 Mbiwa 7 debachy 5 santon 5

• 71 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

donkey

I have no issue with Ba leaving, my point was that I wouldn’t take either him or Carrol back. I know full well why they left, but thats it, they left, they moved on people on here should do the same, neither are coming back

• 72 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

various social networks

• 73 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Why wouldn’t you want him, he’s decent. They only conceded 53 compared to our 69 with our great side littered with 20 million pound players haha

• 74 bills-son // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Ruddy – I’m not treading a fine line – I’m simply putting my money where my mouth is.

This window is the big one for Ashley and his pro and con supporters. There can be absolutely no excuses for not having a very good window – if he doesn’t it proves beyond doubt that the guy has no real ambition. However, if he does have a very good window, spends big, brings in top players and sticks two fingers up at anything less than £25m for our best players (none of whom are worth that) then it proves beyond doubt that he DOES have ambition.

So, let’s see if solano and any of the other big anti-Ashley brigade have the balls to state on this blog that they will admit to being wrong and will support Ashley if he comes up trumps.

JFA has already done it – I’m waiting for the rest, especially solano.

• 75 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ashley showed his cards by not removing Pardew!

• 76 Ginger // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I think we will get Tomkins to be honest.

• 77 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Why stick two fingers up at anything less than 25 million? I’d take 15-20 million for any player, asked this question earlier but can anyone name 1 player worth 25 million who finished bottom half???

• 78 Mister Tuff // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

A “good window” surely has a couple of stages.
    1. The actual signings and
    2. How they are moulded into a team.
    Whilst stage 1 may give us an indication as to which way we are headed -ie couple of star buys and some “lesser” players, stage 2 will allow us to assess whether the pieces of the jigsaw fit well together or otherwise ie were they the right signings in the first place and are they being coached in a modern style or not. Ten games into the season should be all that is needed to truly evaluate the window.

• 79 davis_toons // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM

How much is he going to cost us? 1- 2 million? Fine!

If 5 million… Thats a little overboard. We can find someone better in the championship.

Thats not the 5 goal per season defender.

• 80 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

bills

Sorry mate but it’ll take more than spending big money to lift Ashley above the mire as anything he does spend on players will be handed over to the awe-inspiring, tactical magician that is Alan Pardew.

You talk about Ashley having a big window and sticking to fingers up to those who doubt him, well he’s already done that by retaining Pardew

• 81 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

*two*

• 82 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

They have all the information on last season, main problem was a lack of crosses, buy two out and out wingers.
    Secondly, buy two strikers. One big man and one poacher, my list is as follows
    Pennant pay as you go
    Ince
    Andy Carroll
    Darren bent

Forget these overseas signings, can’t be doing with the time to settle excuses.

• 83 toon22 // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

AP keeping his job is an indication MA accepts he wasnt fully at fault for the nightmare season we had.
    That in mind he must have accepted we didnt add the plays we needed in the summer.

• 84 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

In summer of 2011 we signed

Cabaye
    Marveaux
    Ba
    Santon
    Obertan

How many of these were Bums of seats that were promised?

• 85 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Bills

The moment I believed that MA has no real ambition for the club was the moment it was made clear that he was keeping Pardew in charge.

No only that, we were then told that we’d be chasing the top half next season, despite the fact that we could have finished top half this season even though it was a dreadful season, and we were 45mins away from a top half finish in the 10/11 season, so why are we chasing a top half finish next season? Where is the progress?

If we sign some top talent, and keep our best players, then perhaps my interest will be piqued, but that is a far shout from thinking he might have ambition to make us a top side.

• 86 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Scout

I can only suggest that you are massively taking the p*ss.

Pennant? Bent? Put down whatever it is you’re smoking lad please.

Ince would also cost way too much, as his deluded dad reckons he’s worth 20m, and Carroll isn’t happening as he costs around 15m, which is too much.

• 87 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

To be fair if you conceded 69 goals its never gonna be a good season, there is without doubt underlying problems at the club, some of the performances wouldn’t have won a Sunday league game.
    I’ve seen non league teams move the ball about quicker, that’s a serious comment by the way. Then some on here suggesting 25 million for some of our players, pure and simple madness.
    Ben arfa never plays, if someone offered 15 I’d take it and get someone who is capable of releasing the ball before you get tackled.

• 88 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Anita
    Sissoko
    Debuchy
    Haidara
    Gouffran
    Yanga-Mbiwa + Youngsters

Total Cost Approximately 33 million (excluding Agent Fees)

• 89 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Ruddy

Who’s our right winger???
    Or left winger???
    Them players I named are streets ahead in there position than anyone we have. We have one striker, and he’s rattling on about playing a youngen 18 in front of 52,000 paying customers, howay man

• 90 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Ruddy

Do you also not think that Ashley is taking responsibility for the fac he didn’t strenghten in the summer when it was drastically needed with a european campaign ahead of us. So by blaming Pardew for everything is sadly wrong. The previous campaign when we finished 5th Pardew had us playing some lovley football so as the saying goes you don’t turn into a bad manager over night. Imo he at least deserves the chance to put the wrongs right and prove the good season wasn’t a floke. btw that dosn’t make me a Pardew lover either as i am still on the fence on the issue

• 91 toon22 // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Left wing = Jonas cant cross/score/beat his man.Only skill is falling over.
    Right wing = HBA never plays there always injured cant cross.Leaves our RB getting roasted.
    To be fair we dont atm actually have anyone who could benefit from crosses lol

• 92 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Proud

“Playing some lovely football”, this is the statement that I disagree with. With the exception of about 5 games from the West Brom away game to the Wigan away game, we, by and large, played the same way we’ve played this season.

The only difference being that our key players were on form, we didn’t suffer injuries to the same extent, Simmo made about 6/7 goal line clearances, and anything that could go our way, generally did.

We didn’t have a coherent style of play. So I would argue that Pardew is a bad manager who had a good season last season, rather than him being a good manager who had a bad season this season.

Scout

Pennant!? Seriously!? I know we’re short on wingers but there are many wingers in world football that are better than this idiot.

• 93 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Since Carroll was sold

We have sold

Nolan
    Barton
    Best
    Forster
    BA
    Routledge

Total Money in 19 Million (approx)

• 94 toon22 // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Maybe if someone just told them its best to run to the byline and cross the ball away from the keeper.
    Just like you would with a corner….

lol…

Maybe not.

• 95 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

No width, everything we do is down the middle, or long ball. If Pardew is spending 4 days on defence and we conceded 69 goals is he doing it in the dark?

• 96 Ginger // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Would anyone be interested in a blog career mode?

Basically, we’d be Newcastle and I’d host the career mode on Fifa 13. We’d decide who to sign (Realistic targets that we’re after in real life), who to loan out etc etc and I’d write a match summary on the match we sim.

Anyone?

• 97 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

We’ll probably sign David Bentley, James Tomkins, Darren Ambrose, Stephen Hunt and Argelico Fucks.

• 98 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Ruddy

So for 33 games we played sh@t and won them by luck???????????????? Smell the coffee mate and give Pardew credit when credit is due. Our best players were on form when this season they wern’t so don’t the players deserve some blame?? or is that Pardews fault as well

• 99 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Scout

Like I said, I agree that we’ve no true wingers at the club, I agree that we have no width, I agree that we need to sign wingers.

Just not Pennant…

• 100 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Ashley dropped a major one last summer by not adding to our squad that much everyone will agree with, but when some way to making amends in January. Pardew got it wrong at every turn throughout the season with tactics, selections and he down right refusal to drop players who did not deserve their place in the starting 11.

Ashley can spend all he wants during the summer but he has retained a second rate manager who will never get the best out of any player at NUFC, so his ambition has already been put out there for everyone to see.

As stated by the manager we are after a top 10 place in the league and we are glad that we do not have European football to contend with and yet we believe we will retain our best players and are going to attracted top class players when we openly show we have no ambition other than to survive in the league

• 101 Billythefish // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

J Butler, couldn’t agree more.

• 102 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Jack Butler

In the 2010/11 season Pardew didn’t get the best out of our players then. A 5th place finish was down to luck was it???????????

• 103 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Jack

Sorry 2011/12 season

• 104 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Proud

So you exaggerate my point in order to invalidate it? Where in my entire post did I say we were sh*t for 33 games?

You seem to forget the games where we were thrashed by Fulham, Spurs and Norwich away. Or the home defeat to Wolves? Or the 2-0 victory over Bolton at home where we were pathetic but were hauled out of trouble by HBA who single handedly won us that game.

Or the mediocre away draws to Villa and QPR where we were second best to two dreadful teams but scraped a point.

We had 2 strikers on absolute red hot form last season, blistering hot form. Had Ba went through a dry spell in the first half of the season, or had Cisse went through a dry spell in the second half of the season we’d have finished nowhere near 5th.

I never said that the players don’t need to take responsibility for this season, nor did I say Pardew didn’t deserve some credit for last season, but as far as I am concerned, I am not on the fence, I am stating my opinion outright, he is not good enough.

And having watched matches from last season, and having watched the matches on show this season, there is an alarming similarity, yet the results were different, very different.

I would hazard a guess that Pardew will get us around mid table next season, 10th/11th, and he will do so by playing the same dross that he calls football. And this will be good enough for Tubbs. As such, we’re stuck with Pardew for as long as we’re stuck with Ashley.

I’m not optimistic about our future.

• 105 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

@scout – Darren Bent?! Please, PLEASE no!!!!
    Big wages and simply awful- people talk about his goal record but it seems for every 1 he scores he misses 5. One on one he is terrible.

• 106 Rooster // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Jack butler, thats a decent post son, there has to be something going on if MA still keeps faith with AP after that debacle last season, if at Xmas we are still win loose and drawing and MA sees that as being ok then there is a rabbit off, after all win loose n draw football in the prem will get us about a top ten finish but bloody frustrating, i just prat we will have more up our sleeve, for all of us we need to watch attractive entertaining football especially at home, i have my doubts even though we will in my opinion bring in some decent players,

Pardew has to utilise them to our advantage and play them in the correct positions.

• 107 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Ruddy

I can see your point and where your coming from but last season was a combanation of a lot of things that went wrong from start to finish so my point is the finger can’t be pointed at one individual. The club as a whole are to blame from Ashley right down to the players only the TEA LADY is blameless lol so i don’t buy the blame is all Pardews fault. Give him 10 games next season then we will see where our season is heading and his future.

• 108 A.P.Hitch_17 // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Don’t rate him to be honest. I would rather use Perchy.

• 109 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

proudtobageordie

A fifth place finish came as we had an entire squad on form, playing together, also helped by the fact that Everton, Spurs and Liverpool had poor seasons by their own standards.

But managing a side thats full of confidence is easy, it’s when confidence drops and players lose form that a quality manager stands out and earns his money..

Are the players to blame for last years debacle?

Yes they are to a point, but players don’t select the tactics, they don’t pick the side the don’t chose the formation we play that’s the managers job. And Pardew had Cisse playing on the wing, had Tiote, Cabaye and Jonas starting every game they were fit irregardless of what Anita and Marveuax had done and to cap it all off Sissoko playing as No#10 when we had HBA on the wing and Marveuax on the bench, the two natural No#10’s at the club.

Give this squad as it stands now to a proven manager and you’d see something completely different to the dour, predictable football that Pardew serves up

• 110 Indian Magpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

The Press release Said Minimum top 10, Guess what pardew will be targeting 10th IMHO

Did he not say, this season he didn’t care if we finished 4th bottom.

• 111 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Proud

I’m not 100% blaming Pardew, I am simply stating that I no longer need to give him time, I have seen enough to decide that he is not good enough. The very fact that Ashley didn’t bite the bullet when he should have done has confirmed in my mind that he has no ambition either.

The only way I can see Ashley sacking Pardew is if we are under serious threat of relegation. Otherwise I think we will be seeing him at our club for some time to come.

Unfortunately.

• 112 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

@proud – you’re on to something there: TEA LADY OUT!

• 113 kevymartins // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I see it’s still the same **** on here a bunch of dudes debating over pardew everyday.

MA please go sign some players to cheer these chaps up and let them try to enjoy their summer.

• 114 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Kevy

Why don’t you tell us one of your cracking jokes, or better yet, post up one of your wonderful youtube clips…

Or better yet, constructively add something to conversation.

• 115 kevymartins // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

@Ruddy why don’t you go watch michael collins…Better still i’m away not gona let you keep me here to sit and argue because you have nothing better to do with your life than come to the blog everyday and try pick arguments with people. One word pathetic…Bye now

• 116 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Darren Bent?! Please god no. Massive wage, probable overinflated price, almost 30, does absolutely nothing outside of the box. He’s similar to Cisse in that he needs about 5 chances before he can score a goal too. Plus he used to be a mackem. Jeez.

• 117 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Kevy

Why would I watch Michael Collins? What exactly would that achieve?

I have plenty to do with my life, I just really enjoy winding you up, and if it keeps you away then all the better because the average IQ drops merely with your presence 😀

• 118 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

And Tomkins…jeez. Even Winston Reid is better.

• 119 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Ruddy/Jack

Point taken and agree a better mananger can move the club forward to the next stage as we all know Pardew ain’t no world beater but we are stuck with him for the time being and he may surprise us all next season after he looks at where he went wrong this season and try to rectify his own mistakes

• 120 davis_toons // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

The Question is

WHERE IS THE “WOW” FACTOR
    That have been promised years ago?

Could it be …
    The Strike of Cisse?
    or The Speed of Obertan?

• 121 Belfast // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

This Tompkins story re appears every single transfer window without fail.

Think he’s overrated to be honest.

• 122 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

What I can’t seem to grasp with the people who want this top manager in, is we are only a mid table club right now at best. We are not getting one, we don’t deserve one with this regime and where we are as a club right now.

Who in their right mind, with any sort of reputation, will want to come and maybe wreck their reputation working under Ashley and Llambias and to a club who has never won a trophy in 44 years? I mean, the odds are totally stacked against them.

Pardew may not be the best thing since slice bread, but he did brilliant the season before last season and has just had a very difficult season and did poorly. We will know buy Christmas one way or the other, It really is that simple.

Going by Ashleys appointments though, I wouldn’t think for one second that we would get any sort of different calibre of manager.. The proof is in the pudding, just look at his appointments so far.

We could be doing alot worse where a manager is concerned.

• 123 davis_toons // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Claudio Cacapa, anyone?

• 124 Belfast // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Don’t really see him swapping the West Ham bench for our bench either.

• 125 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Proud

The only way he will surprise me is if, all of a sudden, we start to play attack minded football, utilising our star players to the best of their ability.

There is nothing in Pardew’s entire career to suggest that will happen, he didn’t play on the deck football when we finished 5th, he didn’t play on the deck football with an attacking intent last season, he has never been an overly attack minded manager and I am fed up with him.

I’ll support the team, I’ll hope they do well, but unless he overhauls his ethos he has lost my support for him as a manager.

• 126 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Toon Prodigy

Spot on mate exactly my point

• 127 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Prodigy

Swansea were only in their second season as a PL club and got Laudrup.

Southampton are in their first season and they have Pochettino.

There are top managers all over the world, I don’t want a marquee big name manager, I just want a manager who plays football the right way.

Is that too much to ask?

• 128 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

proudtobageordie

He’s made the same mistakes his entire career so don’t expect him to change over the course of one summer.

I know that I go on and on about him but I just want the best for my club, I want to see good football and be proud of how our manager represents us

• 129 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Toon-Prodigy

and we will remain a mid table club as long as we have a second rate manager at the helm.

A Rudi Garcia or Fred Rutten would take us forward beyond anything that Pardew can consistently deliver

• 130 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I’ve had this discussion before, if people are satisfied with Pardew then there is nothing I can say that will sway them, as they clearly dismiss reason and logic.

I’m bored with this, truly I am. Pardew will prove beyond doubt next season that he is a bad manager, even if he does manage a miracle and helps us achieve the heady heights of “top 10″

You’re right, we don’t deserve a better manager, because some fans are so content to accept rubbish.

Some fans want more, some fans want better, some fans want to be bloody entertained!

But yeah, let’s accept whatever the Fat man throws at us. We cannot sit and feel sorry for ourselves about how we’ve never won anything if in the same breath we accept this charlatan as a manager.

Peace out folks, discuss all you want about which shiny new players will be playing for us next season, as you’re only deluding yourselves if you think Tubby, Dick and Patsy have the best interests of this club at heart.

• 131 davis_toons // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

“There is a reason we are getting these managers who have been out of work for a long time. They have nothing to lose.”

There’s some facts.
    But still there are managers around that are young and in touch with with the newer modern games.

But will we willing to take the risk?
    Will we have more more to loss than Soton it we will to be relegulated?

• 132 Belfast // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

We could still attract a top manager in my opinion.
    But I don’t think any of them would work for Ashley.

Or be keen on Graham Carr having more of a say on transfers than them.

Or tow the party line when they get mugged off.

So we’re basically stuck in dog shit.

• 133 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Ruddy

And you wonder why many nuetral fans call us Deluded. You are the prime example

• 134 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Proud

Why am I deluded?

• 135 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Ruddy

Because you want the club to show ambition, because you want an actual manager in place of Pardew, because you want to see good football.

It seems that wanting these things in now known as being deluded

• 136 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM

If 8 games in we’re playing the dreadful stuff we served up this year and not getting results i’m no longer gonna put up with Pardew. Could tell this year that a lot of fans were itching to sing ‘Pardew out’ but nobody wanted to go first. I’ll be the first to start singing it especially if he buys shite like Tomkins and gets Willo to hoof it up the pitch to Shola or someone protecting a 0-0 draw at home.

• 137 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM

JackButler

If that’s the case then I’m deluded. I’d be deluded if I expected it.

I’d be deluded if I thought Ashley would show ambition.

I’d be deluded if I thought Pardew will magically show a different attitude in playing style.

Some people should ask themselves, who really are the deluded fans here?

• 138 davis_toons // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

…We have seen all these, that cannot be denied.

Hopefully, this coming season, we can see a change in Pardew’s team.

Hopefully, he have come to his conclusion that the players he got have to stick to their natural position

Squad rotation is already hard enough, not to say positioning rotation for newer players.

What’s up with Pardew?

“Are the players to blame for last years debacle?

Yes they are to a point, but players don’t select the tactics, they don’t pick the side the don’t chose the formation we play that’s the managers job. And Pardew had Cisse playing on the wing, had Tiote, Cabaye and Jonas starting every game they were fit irregardless of what Anita and Marveuax had done and to cap it all off Sissoko playing as No#10 when we had HBA on the wing and Marveuax on the bench, the two natural No#10?s at the club.”

• 139 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

You’ve went awfully quiet Proud. Is it a case that it is not I who is deluded at all?

• 140 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

This collates thousands of votes, a much broader cross section of what fans think of both Pardew and Ashley.

To say that some of the stats are surprising is an understatement though.

• 141 check the toastie // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Tottenham 5 Newcastle 0
    Wigan 4 Newcastle 0
    Arsenal 7 Newcastle 3
    Newcastle 1 Reading 2
    Newcastle 0 Sunderland 3
    Newcastle 0 Liverpool 6

For gods sake if Ashley doesn’t sack him after this shower of shit, when will he. He doesn’t give a F#ck.
    He should sell up as he simply doesn’t care……

PARDEW OUT. HES A DISGRACE.

• 142 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

davis_toons

he’s a stubborn manager i think, and he doesn’t like the fans telling him what to do. that was clear when he took marveaux off at reading (and various other points in the season) despite the outrage and also gouffran off every single game despite him being our best player for almost every game he played.

o’neill once was gonna put an attacking player on at villa and he got sarcastic applause from the fans so put a defender on instead.

i think there’s a group of inflexible stubborn managers like o’neill, allardyce, pardew etc. who either don’t realise what they’re doing isn’t working or just don’t want to be told they’re doing it wrong by the fans.

• 143 check the toastie // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I hate Alan Partridge, sorry Pardew.

• 144 nufc_eire // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Lads I think during this transfer window we need to make 7 signings, assuming we lose Coloccini and Simpson this summer

We need 3 first team players – a tall CB, a lightning quick winger and an attacking midfielder.

—————————–Krul————————
    Debuchy—-Mbiwa———-Tall CB——Santon
    ——————Cabaye——–Sissoko—————
    —–Ben Arfa—–Attacking Mid—–Quick Winger
    —————————Cisse—————————

For the attacking midfielder we should try for Belhanda and for the winger we should probably try for Jeremain Lens. Each want to leave I think and wouldnt cost the earth. No idea who should be CB but Id want someone at least 6’3”. Skrtel would be awesome and would compliment Mbiwa well

I dont want to see us break the bank on a new striker this window. Cisse is good enough and if we nominate Gouffran as our backup out-and-out striker then we can take a punt at cheaper options

Then we need four/five more back up players: Young RB, CB, 2 pacey wingers and Tall striker

————————-Elliott————————–
    –New RB—–S.Taylor—-New CB—–Haidara-
    —————–Anita———-Tiote——————
    ——-Winger——Marveaux———–Winger–
    ———————–Gouffran (or another striker)

We rreally only have one winger worth his salt and thats Ben Arfa and its a stretch to really call him a winger. If we got these additions we would have a seriously strong squad. For all the backup players I would be looking at gambles that Graham Carr fancies taking on v cheap but hopefully v good players.

This doesnt take into account needing to keep to the homegrown quota or the young players like Sammy or Campbell. Also signing a new manager would be great but its not going to happen

Anyway that my two cents for what its worth!!!

• 145 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ruddy

been in the bath. Deluded to the point that you are expecting to much from our club that has not been back in the premiere league that long 3 years to be precise. At times we have played exciting attacking football you say we havn’t. How many teams go to old trafford and score three goals so we didn’t play exciting attacking football that day or at home to chelsea

• 146 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

In regards to the supporters who are bewildered with the supporters who are willing to see how it goes up until Christmas, I don’t think it’s a case of wanting us to stall as a club or anything like that just because Pardew is in charge.

Me personally, I just recognise where we are as a club right now. We have only been back in the Premier 3 seasons, we are in a transition phase where we are growing the squad every window. Adding more quality.

We have had one mid table finish, one fifth place finish where everyone recognises we over achieved. And one poor season in the league (but) we got to the quarters of the Europa and very nearly the semis. This done with a very inept squad and a horrendous injury list which seen our top players miss half of last seasons games.

I believe next season will be nothing like this one, and I believe the football will be alot better and the players will be alot more consistent in their form.

There is nothing to say Laudrup or any other manager will continue to have a great season again. Just look at are own manager? That’s how quickly it can turn with insufficient back up from upstairs regardless if you have a top manager or not.

If you stand still this is what happens, the board seemingly have learnt from this mistake so we can only wait to see who is brought in.

Personally im optimistic and think we will finish top 8 next season no sweat, but that’s just me.

• 147 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Proud

In 2 and a half years, you’ve picked out 2 games to prove your point, whereas I could pick out 20 games to prove my point.

I expect too much? As in I expect a manager to play decent attack minded football rather than be topping the league in most long balls played?

I expect us not to sit on 1 goal leads against inferior teams? I expect us to play entertaining football at home, especially against the likes of Reading, Swansea, West Ham, Stoke (all of whom we lost to at home this season)

So if expecting all of this makes me deluded then by all means call me deluded.

Can I ask, why do you not expect these things?

• 148 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Toon Prodigy

sensible post and totally agree. The blog is split to the point of Pardew Out or Give him a chance???????

• 149 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Need to start marveaux every game

• 150 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

*we didn’t lose to Stoke at Home, however we were awful and relied on a last min winner.

So before you all correct me, I’ve corrected myself.

• 151 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Mourinho to Chelsea!

• 152 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Pierre Emerick Aubameyang wants to return to AC Milan

• 153 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

If fans were calling for Jürgen Klopp, José Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti or Pep Guardiola then deluded would be the word to use and I’d even join in, but we are not asking for that caliber of manager.

We want someone who will get the best out of the players we have, who are full internationals for the most part. Someone who plays football, who doesn’t sit on a lead for 45 minuets, who doesn’t use long ball when we have no target man in the side, who doesn’t throw the blame at everyone and and anyone for his error’s.

• 154 proudtobageordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Ruddy

getting bored with you now as them to games were just a point of exciting football you crave but there have been many many more but i have better things to do with my time than argue with bloggers who hate Pardew full stop and who won’t budge

• 155 Whos_SuperMac // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Being reported that Andy Carroll has signed for West Ham

• 156 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM

JB

I’m finding it hard to reason someone out of a position that they clearly haven’t reasoned themselves into.

The “wait and see brigade” will always we content to “wait and see” even when reason would dictate otherwise.

• 157 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Proud

If you had any knowledge of my stance then you’d know how ludicrous your assessment is.

I was one of Pardew’s biggest supporters, I defended him against many who declared him inept when we were finishing 5th.

However, I’ve looked at the football much closer when results haven’t been going our way and I re-assessed last season by watching old matches and I was shocked that I had ever defended his brand of “football”

The reason you’re not inclined to pick out more attacking matches is because you cannot, not because you will not.

I crave attacking football, not in one or two matches, but consistently. You can pick one or two matches, but you cannot point to any point in the last 2 1/2 years where we have done so with any semblance of consistency.

• 158 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Proud
    I know where youre coming from, people on here reckon were top 6 level, no chance. Had a good season playing 4 3 3 then sold our top striker and replaced him with gouffran.
    25 million quoted by some for ben arfa and cabaye, bottom half players dont sell for this money. Two bob midfielders have came to st.james and got the better of these worldbeaters.

• 159 JackButler // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Ruddy

We beat QPR and Wigan lost and so we retained our premiership place, the man should have been sacked on the full time whistle of the last game if not sooner. Giving him more time will do nothing as he showed last season he is incapable of change, he is incapable of seeing the obvious, he has one approach to the game and one approach only.

I know we are past the day’s of what we had under Hall and Sheppard when we could get anyone through the door, but we have a multi-billionaire owner who has retained a manager that 95% of premier clubs wouldn’t touch.

Most would have been saying ‘Wait and See’ even if we had been relegated

• 160 Rotonda heights // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Proud

Pardew has never been or never will be a consistently successful manager.

You’re plucking out 2 matches but dismissing the 19 we lost !! and all the unwanted records we smashed by playing 3 x DM’s at home and keeping 10 men in our own half for long periods while hitting endless long balls and hoping something might happen.

Plus we were out of the EPL for only 1 season and kept a lot of our high earners to come straight back. Pardew is a truly awful manager who just depresses the life out of me.

• 161 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

JB

I agree, it was more of a case of other teams relegating themselves, rather than us saving ourselves.

It will be interesting to see how long the “wait and see” people will be rolling out this tried and tested mantra.

If we’re bottom half in the first 10 games I think there is no other option but to sack him. No doubt people will be claiming “well to be fair to him Raylor is injured, so he hasn’t got his full squad, so let’s just wait and see”

He will always create excuses, and as long as these blinkered fans accept these excuses then he will be protected by them.

• 162 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Right, whats the score gonna be then lads and lasses

• 163 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Do you know what,

I get the feeling some people on here would be wingeing regardless of who was in charge right now.

If you don’t see pure, slick passing, fluid football, then he has to go! We have no right to be this good right now! With our top players missing half of last season, total sh1t to come off the bench for much of the season, and five newcomers in January to try and bed in to a forecoming relegation battle.

Who on earth do you think we are haha?

You’s don’t want much like do you’s haha?

Dear me, im off, I’v got work to do.

Back later.

Cheerio lads.

• 164 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Ha
    Not only has laudrupp threaten to quit Swansea in the last couple of weeks due to concerns over squad size and the Europa league, now Ajax are hunting him down because he owes them 2.5 million in taxes! So instead of going to court he’s let Swansea continue on there friendlies in holland and he’s stayed in Wales!!

• 165 Patoon // Jun 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Ruddy

Hav read through a few of ur comments and agree 100percent that Pardew wil prove within 10 games that he is a shit manager that hasn’t got a clue but prob then he’ll use the excuse that the new players havn’t settle in, but MA owns the club and if he wants Pardew ther sadly ther is nothing we can do about it, it looks like we are doomed until MA decides 2 sell up, but I stil think its a bit early 2 judge, I stil hold hope that we’l bring players in this window, think we could make great use out of Ricky Lambert 2, 31 I kno but great in the air and on the ground but more importantly he’s a good target man, unlike cisse and wouldn’t b that expensive either

• 166 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Patoon
    dont suggest sensible options, its strictly fantasy stuff here, hes not worth 20 million

• 167 Patoon // Jun 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Scout

lol why not make a move 4 messi then, sure he’d hardly wanna stay at barca if he even thot 4 1 second that we wer interested ha

• 168 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

My God England are poor. And for all their talent Brazil aint much better either.

Am I the only guy that doesn’t rate Neymar ?. No way is he worth £50 million. Could be one of the biggest transfer flops ever IMO.

• 169 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM

BPC, no i don’t rate him either, reminds me if robinho

• 170 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Platoon
    Lol brilliant,
    Don’t rate Neymar, come on lads

• 171 manxpie // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM

ha tads did u see his quote that he reckons swansea need to invest “a couple of hundred million”!!
    now just imagine the ammount of stick pardew would get for a quote like that!

• 172 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

BPC,
    Went to SJP to watch Brazil vs NZ and that young LB Marcelo far outshone Neymar.

• 173 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Its not so much that I think he is a bad player but the money Barca have payed for him is ridiculous for someone that has done relativeley well in a below average league.

Barca will probably make a lot of money back from merchandise and shirt sales but still a huge gamble. Bearing in mind Real bought Zidane for a similar price and he is in my opinion the best player I have ever seen.

• 174 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

50 cheap if bale is 60

• 175 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM

james tomkins-oh my god,games ive seen him play last season he was that bad it was like watching dott cotton on acid

• 176 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

@ scout

Get a grip man. Neymar isn’t half the player Bale is, not yet anyway. Bale has proved himself in one of the best leagues in the world for a couple of years now.

Just because he doesn’t do all the flashy shite that doesn’t work half the time like Neymar doesn’t mean anything. Bale can just glide past players with his pace.

• 177 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

oh my god didnt see this score coming-we want 5 we want 5 we want 5

• 178 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghh bollocks

• 179 YorkshiresFinestGeordie // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Neymar is ONI good on YouTube. If you watched him for first time tonight and never heard of him before, you wouldn’t think he’s off to Barack for so much money.

• 180 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Agreed Bale is good but I wouldn’t say one of the best leagues in the world, maybe 4 good teams

• 181 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Selling James Milner to Villa the way we did – ouch!!!- even by our standards, that was a really rubbish decision, same goes for Charles Insomnia, both would be very handy for us reet now.

• 182 89Norcal // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM

really dont get the heavy criticism on Neymar, Lucas Moura probably cost more or as much as the guy.

He was the best player in the 1st half besides Joe Hart.

• 183 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Would west ham finish in the top half in Germany or Spain???

• 184 Tommyy // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I’m not greedy, I don’t think any of us are greedy fans. I’m sure the majority would take 10th if we played some great football and could see the intent there to play and win, then the results will come with time.

Ruddy – agree 100 percent with all of your comments, proud is just pulling the only examples he can to support his claims. We didn’t play good football at all 2011/2012. I distinctly remember many on here including mysel getting fed up week in week out up until about mi march with our performances but didn’t shout too loudly because we were getting results. Pardew is a poor manager and I’m in agreement that we will see that confirmed within 10 games next season.
    We may flatter to deceive by passing the ball about in the middle without really threatening and many will believe we’re playin good football.
    It’s just a real shame things have turned out this way, I’ve lost my buzz as a result, Newcastle simply don’t excite me anymore, and that for me is one of the biggest footballing crimes.

• 185 Geordie_In_theShot // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Does any body know if you will be able to buy the new shirt without Wonga on it? I’m not dressing my 4 year olds in a shirt with that shit on!

• 186 jazzyp // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

neymar 50 mill.
    suarez 50mill. you choose???

• 187 89Norcal // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

10th should be a minimum target for a team of our size and with the quality we have.

• 188 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM

norcal it’s not criticism, he is overpriced and overrated, is he really better than ben arfa?

• 189 Tommyy // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Neymar was good today, not spectacular, but good. When he bulks out abit and develops some power to his game he will be immense I think.

• 190 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Can’t see them agreeing to sell the shirts without the logo, that’s kinda the whole point. Your a walking billboard for wonka I’m afraid

• 191 89Norcal // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Newcastle Brown Alien

There are multiple factors: his young age, his infinite marketability (bested only by Messi and Ronalo), and his potential. That’s what Barca were investing in.

I would say he’s as good as Ben Arfa, yes. Not being injury prone helps. People need to quit immediately writing off any South American success especially considering their success on the world level and when their players come to Europe.

My tip to everyone would be, ignore fanboys and press hype, judge for yourself. Most people seem to dislike Neymar because of the fanboys/press and thats it.

• 192 Tommyy // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Geordie_in_theshot – I’ve been wondering the exact same thing. I’m due a new shirt but don’t want Wonga all over the front. Wonder if they’ll do an empty logo version (yeah right). I’m just going to repurchase the classic Brown Ale.

• 193 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM

As good as Ben arfa haha greatest post I have ever read that one, he could make a ball talk neymar, the kids a genius

• 194 89Norcal // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Pretty sure that 50m euro figure being thrown around about Neymar is unconfirmed…it was apparently more around the high 20’s and some money went to the 3rd Party who owned Neymar’s image rights

• 195 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Just get yourself a light blue permenant marker and colour it in :) . Saying that could you not remove it with a hot iron or something like that ? , they are just stuck on after all.

• 196 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Although personally, I don’t think there is anything morally different to advertising gambling companies, it will be interesting to see how the Wonga shirt sells.

• 197 89Norcal // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I’m sure you could tailor the new shirt to block out the Wonga logo.

• 198 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I just hate when people say he is one of the best players in the world. Best talents yes but not on the same level as Messi,Ronaldo, Bale, Falca, Cavani etc.

• 199 LeToonARMY // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Is it true we are getting Demba back back if so can you imagine Bony Cisse and Ba up front with sissoko ben arfa and Cabaye in midfieldl with Debuchy, Sahko,Collo and -Yanga at the back.
    _______________KRUL________________
    ___Debuchy___Sahko____Collo___Yanga__
    ____Ben Arfa____Sissoko_____Cabaye___
    ______Ba_______Cisse_____Bony______

Subs
    Taylor
    Anita
    Marveux
    Gouffran
    Santon
    Campbell

• 200 archaeomag // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM

@Letoon
    Nothing I have read since the end of the season is “True” it is all a “Guess”

• 201 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Is Gareth Southgate mentally handicapped ?

• 202 89Norcal // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM

letoon

3 CF’s playing as LW, ST, RW sounds like a disaster to me.

• 203 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Does the club only sell shirts with the sponsors name on them.

You can’t buy a “clean” one, if you choose?

If so, that reeks!!!!

• 204 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM

He’s just a kid, I’m not saying he’s the best in the world but he certainly will be a great player that’s for sure. Ferguson nurtured Ronaldo and made him the player he is today. I’m sure even Pardew wouldn’t fail with neymar

• 205 toon22 // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

How can Ba sign for the toon?
    Hes just signed with Chelsea,isnt there some rule about movin clubs?
    At best its on loan?

• 206 Sazzer // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Decent game after Ox came on today. Still the team are inviting way to much pressure by being so passive.

• 207 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM

@ Jfa

Either that or he has been affected by the smog in his time at Middlesbrough :) . I must say like I can’t stand ITV’s pundits. Chiles just has one of those faces that you want to repeatedly hit with a frying pan (which would probably improve his looks)
    Southgate who constantly mumbles and looks he has taken enough ketamine to put down a rhino.

And where do you start with Keane :) . Not to mention their coverage is abysmal at times.

• 208 scout // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM

BPC
    An opinion echoed by my good lady, she can’t stand the pundits and turns the sound off

• 209 Bowzer912 // Jun 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

@nufc_eire The cam could be Siem de Jong for 9m and the winger Ryan Boudebouz for 3m (he’s out of contract next year) and being extremely optimustic here, Nicolas N’Koulou for 12m and so we’d line up like:
    Krul
    Debuchy-Mbiwa-N’Koulou-Santon
    Cabs-Sissoko
    Benny-De Jong-Boudebouz
    Cisse (Gameiro for 7m to challenge)

Alternatively we could go for PSG outcasts and go Gameiro,Sakho and Menez for 25m overall (Gameiro 7m,Sakho 9m and Menez 10m)

HWTL

previous post: Top Dutch Play-Maker Being Pursued By Newcastle?

next post: Young AZ Striker Could Be Good Target For Newcastle