Transfer Target Would Be Interested In Joining Newcastle

The image of Newcastle United has taken a little bit of a hammering over the last season, so it’s good to hear that one of our possible transfer targets is keen to join Newcastle.

alex pearce

Alex Pearce – interested in joining Newcastle

Alex Pearce is at Reading, and the 24 year-old center-back is out of contract at the end of this month, and he is a long term target of Liverpool, and Newcastle have become interested in getting him – if you believe the recent press reports.

A source close to the player (his agent?) has been quoted in the Shields Gazette today and this is what they said:

“I do think Alex would be a fantastic signing for Newcastle,” “He’s in a fantastic position, and there’s a number of clubs monitoring him.” “Newcastle would be a club that would interest him.”

“He’s a leader, and a player that Reading groomed to be captain.” “He’s a vocal player and isn’t afraid of telling people if they’re not doing their jobs.” “He leads from the back, pushes the defense up, and gives 100% in training and games.”

“He’s not in any rush and a lot of clubs aren’t in any rush either. He’s got himself into this position and the next move has to be right for him on football grounds.”

“Premier League football is something that once you’ve had a taste of it, you don’t want to let it go, but at the moment we’re still in touch with Reading.”

“He came through the Academy there, but if they want to bring players in and pay them more than the lads who came through the Academy, there is a decision to make.”

Alan Pardew has said he would like to sign players with Premier League experience, and in addition we are short of leaders on the pitch, so if Alex is good enough, he would seem to be a decent signing as a free agent.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Indian Magpie

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Oh Boy

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Underrated player, passionate, vocal, gritty and determined. He might not be the attractive, glamour name some people crave, but to not give this player ANY credit is ridiculous.

Yes reading went down, but he, along with McCarthy, le fondre and kone were the stand out players in that squad. If we aren’t prepared to even consider players from relegated sides, then we may as well forget about Remy. Oh and people were desperate for Martinez to replace pardew…yet he couldnt keep Wigan up?!?

Open mind fellas…! 🙂

• Indian Magpie

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM

KONE?

• Tommyy

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

If this happens we’ve officially given up all ambition. If he was 20 then fair enough but he’s 24! If he was any good he’d have left Reading long ago. Smacks of a Perch, will try hard but ultimately not good enough.

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Yeah kone.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

There was a kone at reading?

• Tommyy

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Torq – Kone and Mcarthy are Wigan not Reading (probably just a typo) but Mcarthy is very young and this was his first real season in the premier league, he’s an obvious talent.
    This guy isn’t so young, I think he would be too similar to Taylor in that he’s a passionate but clumsy Englishman. We should not be after talk English players for the sake of tall English players. No doubt he could do a job but we need to improve on what we have as back up (I see Taylor as back up quality).

• Tommyy

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

It’s also not about the sides they come from being relegated, it’s the quality they offer. Remy has clear and proven quality, to use him as an example of someone not to consider if we’re not considering relegated players is foolish.

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Tommyy – Thank you for highlighting my error mate without being condescending. 🙂

I got confused with my relegated clubs. I dont think anybody see’s this lad as starter. But adding to our pool of centre halves. An upgrade on willo and more reliable in terms of composure and injuries than Taylor, I’d take him. Will be cheap, already expressed (if report is accurate) interest in this club and improve on willo who will more likely be shipped out.

Personally I would like a top CB brought in for colos replacement should he leave.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

TOMMYY

Reading GK Alex Mccarthy.

I can understand he was Outstanding

• Indian Magpie

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:37 AM

TorqToon

Is it the towel that you just threw

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Tommy – Thats not MY opinion – I’d sign him in a heartbeat – yet people dismiss players from relegated sides purely because “if they aren’t good enough to stay in the league, they aren’t good enough for us!!”

My thought is….we aren’t as amazing and deserve top players as some on here believe!

Anyway….SHOLA OUT, PARDEW OUT!!!!

If you can’t beat em.,,

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Indian – Yes it is!! Thank God you are here to highlight my wrongs and make me a better person!

The blog would be lost without you…

All hail Indian magicpie!

• Tommyy

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I agree, a definite upgrade on Willo and I could see him overtaking Taylor should he (inevitably) get injured again. It just smacks of poor ambition though, and scarily the sort of player Pardew would probably see as a starter.
    I disagree that Mcarthy the Keeper was outstanding – he had a couple of top games which every keeper has at some point. Not to say he’s not solid and dependable though.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Torq

Sad to c, such an optimistic person like you coming down to my level.

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Tommy – I would like to think if he is being looked at, it would be a back up to our main targets!

But 30yrs of NUFC support makes me ever the pessimist! 🙂

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Don’t be sad Indian…..!!! I’m just joining your ranks!

• Tommyy

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Torq – Like I said, there are clear exceptions to the rule on relegated players. Remy being probably the clearest. So to use him as an example doesn’t help your case.

Not that I don’t agree with you, there are a few players I’d take from relegated sides. It’s finding the right ones, Pearce may well be decent but he’s not a standout relegated player.

It’s all well and good saying that we can’t attract better players etc but if we start to accept that then mediocrity sets in and we will slowly sink as a club. Maybe not that slowly.

• TorqToon

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Tommy – I’m hoping you sensed the sarcasm in my reference towards Remy?!?

I’m not sure you did. It was to make my point that people shouldn’t be ruled out based on final club league position.

• lesh

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Torq… it’s been warm and the weather can affect on one’s recall – I’m sure we can forgive you having had a couple of Ricards before dinner – for medicinal purposes of course!

• Rotonda heights

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

From Sakho or Mirin now down to Pearce !!!

Underwhelmed isn’t the word. Not even a regular in a relegated team. Those ST tickets are really going to be flying off the shelves!!

• Munster Mag

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Torq, I agree re relegated players, and I also agree re Martinez. He cant seem to teach players to defend so how can he be considered such a big deal. The Sunday Supplement journalists consider his teh next big thing. I dont…

• TALKOFTHETOON

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Long time reader of the blog, but have never commented. I’m becoming increasingly disillusioned with reports about the Newcastle in the papers and on here. Many of which are just garbage with no substance which just start debate… REAL investment is needed in order to progress next season, but I just can’t see us getting any! Back to the days of mid table obscurity me thinks…

• toontillidie

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM

want some news guys here are the 5 targets that are linked with us let me know what ya think

• DogsCANLookUp

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

LOL
    Pearce will go anywhere – his agent is now desperately hawking him around as he ballsed up his contract talks at Reading. Sad to say, its all about the money with this one.
    McCarthy is a different prospect – hed be a real coup for anybody

• one Tony Green

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Is this Monty Python Day. This guy is Irish not English and as stated Kone is at Wigan ( someone we could look at).

Indian I am as confused as you too.

• LeToonARMY

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM

So how would the team look with this player in it

____________krul_____________