Newcastle Linked With French International Midfielder

Newcastle have been linked with 28 year-old Marseilles midfielder Mathieu Valbuena, who has been talking to Sky Sports and has hinted he could leave Marseilles this summer.

mathieu valbuena

Mathieu Valbuena – capped 20 times for France

Valbuena seems to have one year left on his contract,  and the 20 times capped French International has also interested Arsenal – although we could have guessed that.

Mathieu is an attacking midfielder who can play on either wing, and as well as having good technical ability he has very good speed, and we saw after January that a player with speed, like Yoan Gouffran at Newcastle, can cause all kinds of trouble with opposing defenses.

It’s Sky Sports who are reporting that both Newcastle and Arsenal are interested in the player, but if you had to pick two clubs in the Premier league who could be interested in a French International who would they be?   Correct.

Marseilles will get Champions League football again next season, after they finished in second place, 12 points behind PSG, but the player still seems uncertain of his future, and he said this to Sky Sports:

“My contract has been automatically prolonged for one season due to Champions League qualification.” “But we will see what happens in the summer.”

Valbuena moved from FC Libourne-Saint-Seurin to Marseilles seven years ago, and is said to be worth around €15M (£12.9M), but that estimate seems very high, and it’s simply taken from the transfermarket.com site – which may or may not be accurate.

But if he has one year left on his contract then that fee is way too high, and it’s hard to think that Newcastle would be willing to pay out £12.9M for a player who turns 29 in September.

In the last seven seasons Valbuena, who stands 5’6″ tall,  has played 286 times for Marseilles with 35 goals and 44 assists – and it’s really hard to believe the Frenchmen would leave Champions League football at Marseilles for Newcastle.

But maybe he could make the switch to the Gunners.

However, stranger things have happened we suppose.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Albert's Secret Love Child (Formerly Krul To Be Kind)

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

would have this lad in a heartbeat even at close to 13m… cracking little player!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Having his head shrunk by Papua New guinean headhunters then put back on his big fat body is too good for Ashley .

• Ben3arfa

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

We’re only signing one center half and a striker this window. Lets not get our hopes up

‘a wee club from the north-east’

• Sazzer

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

De Jong could possible help us be better in the set pieces department both offensively and defensively. Could possible lead to that we sign his brother within seasons as well.

• santonthenewmaldini

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Have seen him play a few times for France and he looks like a proper magician on the ball

Probably going to be a bit too old and pricey for us to even consider it

• No Plain Saylor

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Cracking player, but at £13 million.. and 28, meh.

For the less money;
    Boubadouz (one year left) £4m
    Ince £6m

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Outstanding player. Always a threat when he comes on for France. At 29 he is in his prime, I would have him in ASAP.

Boudebouz and Belhanda are also two other great options.

• Newcastle Brown Alien

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM

who ever thinks the price is too high for hi, have you seen him play for france recently, their best player by miles, would love him so much at our club

• Graeme

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I look forward to Mr Carr pulling something special ou of the bag.

From club comments, its depressing enough without getting carried away with impossible targets being bandied about with no realistic chance of it happening.

Just be thankful Bambi isnt 26 – we would probably try and sign him again – now that would be a nightmare lol

• Sazzer

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Valbuena is cracking player can only see it happen if we can negotiate a cheaper fee.

6-7 m £ + Marv and Amalfitano.

• No Plain Saylor

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Alien, he is well worth £13M. And I’d love him here.
    But considering that is probably most of our budget realistically, i’d be inclined to think a striker is more important, like i said boubadouz for a third the price, put the remainder to a striker, and fund a cb from sale of deadwood..

• 89Norcal

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Valbuena would be an incredible signing! The man looks well equipped for the English game as well, and has the characteristics of an attacking mid/forward that we’ve desperately been needing.

Even at 28 he would have a lot to offer.

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Wouldn’t hold your breath for this lad coming.

• TorqToon

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Should we sign this lad, it will be one of the finest players in our history to wear the shirt.

He IS the real deal and the complete package for an attavking midfielder! 🙂

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

@ 13 – fair enough its an old article but if his agent has anything to do with it he won’t be coming…

• neilinho

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Cracking player, however i would rather spend the money on Belhanda and Remy Cabella.

• 89Norcal

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Abu Qatada

Maybe Barton on the guys on our side can have a chat 🙂

But it does sound like his agent is basically writing us off – blood sucker knows he would get a lesser commission if Valbuena signed with us.

• No Plain Saylor

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

@16.
    Cabella recently had a release clause put in his contract for something like 45 million, also he’s said to be one of arsenal’s top targets.. He ain’t comin here, or goin anywhere unless its a massive bid

• TorqToon

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Abu – His agent is a complete @rse mate. They are supposed to always have their client in mind – but he, like ba’s agent (and many others) are solely in it for the pay day. He is always trying to search for the next club. He really is an awful rep and not a very pleasant person.

• Sazzer

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Campbell
    Mertens Marv Valbuena
    Anita Cabaye

This line up would take us into new heights for sure =)

• Ginger

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Abu Qatada – I’m hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Yanga-MBiwa said he wanted to go to one of the Machester clubs as well.

Look how that worked out…

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM

89Norcal – it does all seem to come down to agents…and there doesn’t seem to be to many good ones around!

• neilinho

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Torq, long time reader, short time poster. I always read your posts with great interest. I would like to pick your brains bout something football (not toon related) if you wouldn’t mind?

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ginger – I’m not saying its impossible and I agree we should be aiming high with our signings but past history shows we put too much effort into signing one person that doesn’t materialise – De Jong being the obvious case that springs to mind.

• No Plain Saylor

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Torq,
    I scanned through the comments on earlier posts today and notice hundreds of questions aimed at you regarding the delegations in holland and spain. I am sure at this stage you regret saying anything becuase of everyone askin you stuff 😉 I understand you have to keep this close to the chest but what exactly can you tell me without giving it away.. What position is the player in holland, and likewise for the player in spain. I wont guess, I’ll keep it to myself ha 😉

• Ginger

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Abu Qatada

It’s always baffled me when we do that. Waste so much time trying to sign one player (Remy as well as De Jong) for it not to happen so we just give up.

We’re meant to have numerous options in each position we want to buy in, we should find out immediately what’s going on. If we get him, great, if not move straight onto the next person.

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I was a little disappointed we didn’t test the water with this guy, Brown Ideye – he may not be the greatest ever but he’s at least as good, IMO better than anything we have currently and his agent made the right noises. Then nothing it would be a shame if we didn’t at least inquire.

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Ginger I agree I don’t how they do it, infact other than politicians and bankers I can’t think of anywhere else that would allow such a thing to happen.

• Sazzer

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Torq
    I didn’t see if you answer my question earlier. But regarding you talk earlier off deals in Spain and Holland. Can you reveal if it both offensive or defensive or is it one of each? If that’s case which type for which country?

• TorqToon

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Neilinho – I will try mate!

Saylor – I never mind talking about stuff on here mate but some constantly search for blood and lay into me when I say certain things. For example I was told to pi$$ off back to my studio flat, my crack pipe and my jobseekers allowance when I had the nerve to suggest we had tied up deals for moussa and Yanga before ‘the chronicle’ had reported it! So just try to remain a bit wary.

What I will say, is people worry about our creativity at times, and are desperate for a switchin formation utilising our wings, if these come off, our passing, wing play and creativity will increase 10 fold. And we will score plenty of goals.

I hold very high hopes for this window.

• TorqToon

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

In something completely non toon related, could we keep in our thoughts a French footballer called Kevin Anin who plays for Nice and was involved in a horrific Car accident on Monday night.

Severely damaged his spinal column and broke both arms. In a medically induced coma. It appears he will be left paralysed from the shoulders down.

Just think it puts OUR ‘problems’ into huge perspective.

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright says that new manager Roberto Martinez aims to take the club into the Champions League.

Have those idiots not listened to a word Pardew has said about Europe.

• neilinho

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

cheers Torq, i know from your posts that you’re in the medical field (cardiologist?), my bro in law recently moved to Hamburg with his german girlfriend. He’s a qualified physio and been trying to get work at one of the clubs out there. Any suggestion or insight you can offer is greatly appreciated…

• Sazzer

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Messi and Eriksen it is then 😛

• TorqToon

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Sazzer – I feel it will improve our passing game and attacking play significantly.

Also another target will shore up our defence.

• DokToon

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

good afternoon all…

2 points… first, i believe torqtoon is actually alan pardews alter ego, as he learns how to put a positive spin on things… instead of making the usual excuses… pards, oops, i mean torq, youre progressing quite well lad!!

second, ed’s next arcticle will head , “Newcastle linked with scirossis of the liver, and delusions of grandeur, along with a mild case of inflammation of the forehead, due to repeated bashing into a brick wall…”